• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Alucard is pretty slept on imo.

Hes still relevant because of the anime and its soon to be spinoff.

Castlevania is one of the few Konami properties still being consistently supported.

Alucard was actually considered for base game before being passed over for the Belmonts.

All that stands in the way is the assist and Castlevania already getting a ton of representation.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't think being an Assist Trophy is a hard deconfirm in and of itself, but I honestly don't see us getting an Assist Trophy promotion this late in the game where there is only one character left. I feel like Nintendo has bigger fish to fry that they don't need to fall back on retooling an Assist.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
In all technicality that’s not MEGA MAN Zero. That’s just Zero.
I...always thought it was the former? I know he gets called just "Zero" alot but I figured that was just a nickname/shorthand sort of deal or whatever.

I mean, in his own GBA series its titled Megaman Zero. And the Zero in those games is supposed to be the same one as the MMX series one. So...

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
The first one is as much of a mystery as whether or not Rayman is on the banner, the second isn't considered a big deal by 90% of speculators and this doesn't have stuff like PraiMai or how other known scrapped content would be handled
It'd be funny if they never addressed Porky's situation after the final fighter is released

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think ATs disconfirm, so by all means CP11 could be an assist trophy promotion.

As I've said before, the only ones I could really see making it are:

Waluigi
Isaac
Shovel Knight
Megaman Zero
Alucard
I'm kinda doubtful of Zero because he already got a Mii. I know Kazuya cast a lot of doubt on Mii deconfirms, but I still think taking out the character who actually did get Mii'd is still in effect.

Regarding Alucard, I'm also kinda doubtful because they already dumpted a metric frickton of Castlevania content into the base game. There's two fighters, a stage, a boss, thirty-odd songs, and almost every base is covered Spirit-wise. Honestly Castlevania got a better deal than any of the DLC packs, even Terry and Kazuya.

That said, I do think Waluigi, Isaac, and Shovel Knight are the best bets when it comes to Miis. Isaac for fan requests, Shovel Knight for his indie status, and Waluigi for much of the same reasons as Isaac (Though he's more for his popularity as a character rather than as a series)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll be honest, most of the first-party ATs would genuinely surprise me. It's not that I don't think an upgrade could happen, it's just that when I look at the other three first-parties that were added as DLC, I see a pattern.

There's some characters like Waluigi who don't promote a specific game, so that leaves us with...a random stage, random music tracks, and random Spirits? It feels messy compared to the other bundles that focused solely on 3H, ARMS, and XC2 respectively. Then there's characters like Issac who are capable of making a congruent bundle, but they're kinda dated. Hard to imagine Nintendo opting for an older character when all three of their first-party choices debuted on the Switch. And before everyone hurls the "But Ridley/K.Rool/Banjo!", those three had a MASSIVE following. I feel like none of the ATs that could qualify as irrelevant have a following that comes close to those three.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm kinda doubtful of Zero because he already got a Mii. I know Kazuya cast a lot of doubt on Mii deconfirms, but I still think taking out the character who actually did get Mii'd is still in effect.

Regarding Alucard, I'm also kinda doubtful because they already dumpted a metric frickton of Castlevania content into the base game. There's two fighters, a stage, a boss, thirty-odd songs, and almost every base is covered Spirit-wise. Honestly Castlevania got a better deal than any of the DLC packs, even Terry and Kazuya.

That said, I do think Waluigi, Isaac, and Shovel Knight are the best bets when it comes to Miis. Isaac for fan requests, Shovel Knight for his indie status, and Waluigi for much of the same reasons as Isaac (Though he's more for his popularity as a character rather than as a series)
I agree with you on Zero and Alucard, but I figured I'd bring up both since neither are I think technically 100% disconfirmed (assuming ATs don't do so either) and both are very popular gaming characters and probably the most popular of their respective franchises.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I...always thought it was the former? I know he gets called just "Zero" alot but I figured that was just a nickname/shorthand sort of deal or whatever.
I think that's only the case for X. I've never seen Mega Man Zero used as Zero's full name in any official context.

I mean, in his own GBA series its titled Megaman Zero. And the Zero in those games is supposed to be the same one as the MMX series one. So...
The impression I get is that they're very different characters; enough that you would want to differentiate between Zero (Mega Man X) and Zero (Mega Man Zero), though it's typically assumed that you're talking about the Mega Man X iteration.

If they are the same entity, is it like a Ganon Vs. Ganondorf situation where they are the same character, but they have a different style and affect the story differently? (Ex. Ganon wields the trident as well as magic and typically holes himself up in a castle, threatening Hyrule with his mere existence, while Ganondorf is more of a schemer where the plot is concerned, and usually battles Link in a sword duel.)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I love the concept that every Mega Man series' name is also the full name of its protagonist. My favorite Mega Men are Mega Man Legends, Mega Man ZX Advent, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

If they are the same entity, is it like a Ganon Vs. Ganondorf situation where they are the same character, but they have a different style and affect the story differently? (Ex. Ganon wields the trident as well as magic and typically holes himself up in a castle, threatening Hyrule with his mere existence, while Ganondorf is more of a schemer where the plot is concerned, and usually battles Link in a sword duel.)
Zero's pretty identifiably the same dude. He gets some different stuff between MMX and MMZ, but it's mostly different energy weapons to hit people with instead of a sword - nothing on the level of Ganon to Ganondorf.

I guess being the sole playable character is "affecting the story differently", but by the later half of the X series he was already a playable character anyway.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Kazuya should do more than just cast doubt, as it's the third time we've gotten hard evidence killing the Mii Costume Disconfirmation, which itself was a goalpost movement from Spirits Disconfirm. Never forget that the original argument was that any non-playable-character content killed the chances of a character, whether it was of that character themselves or just their franchise, despite that never making sense since DLC as a concept is often known for changing things from what they were and adding more to what was already there.

Literally the only thing that hasn't happened thus far is that a character has been revealed after their Mii Costume has shown up.

I would say that there is a difference in chance between returning and new costumes, however the difference isn't that big. Think of it this way: if a costume is brand new and made for Smash Ultimate, that would imply that they were not chosen for a character as Mii Costumes are essentially a simulation of the character. However, a returning costume is in a bit of a different area...

See, we already know that it was clearly a decision to return all the old third party costumes, and many of them are for iconic characters and heavily-requested characters. I doubt that the character choices for DLC were made with this as some sort of rule, meaning that for example Lloyd wasn't denied because they already were bringing back his costume. It's much more likely that all the costumes were going to come back no matter who was chosen, and things just ended up like this due to happenstance (ARMS being out long enough for devs and fans alike to change their opinion, Ultimate being very limited due to being rushed and thus not being able to handle three detailed character models that would function similar to Ice Climbers, and the Devil Gene being the key to making a Tekken character fit into Smash).

So, do I think a Mii Costume'd character can show up here? Of course, but even I don't think it's as likely as other possibilities, mainly that of Chief and other heavily likely characters.

As for an AT promotion, The Wah is the only real choice, but I would love to see Isaac or Shovel Knight get the chance as well.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
that second one is a very good question...

where are the chorus kids ?

is rayman still in the ice ?

why do brawl fox and falco have animations for running out of ammo ?
Rayman was never in the ice, it's a Rorshach test, you see what you want to see. It looks like Riki from Xenoblade to me.
As for Fox and Falco, that's pretty interesting. I'm guessing it was a mechanic planned for them at some point (probably Brawl, this sounds like a Brawl decision) and was cut due to it being completely pointless.
A friend of mine pointed out to me why a concept I had for Rillaboom wouldn't have worked that probably also applies to the Chorus Kids. I can't imagine them adding a rhythm game character without some sort of rhythm mechanic, but with the online of the last two games, said character would be basically unplayable online, so I imagine that's why they were cut.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I love the concept that every Mega Man series' name is also the full name of its protagonist. My favorite Mega Men are Mega Man Legends, Mega Man ZX Advent, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

Zero's pretty identifiably the same dude. He gets some different stuff between MMX and MMZ, but it's mostly different energy weapons to hit people with instead of a sword - nothing on the level of Ganon to Ganondorf.

I guess being the sole playable character is "affecting the story differently", but by the later half of the X series he was already a playable character anyway.
X series Zero typically only uses the Z Saber and maybe a traditional gun arm, Mega Man Zero has a sword, an actual gun rather than a gun arm, the Shield Boomerang, Triple Rod which is a lance, Chain Rod which is kinda like a whip, Recoil Rod which functions as tonfas, the Z Knuckle which lets him steal weapons and Cyber Elfs, it's pretty obvious when one looks at how different Zero is in SNK VS Capcom, which uses MMZ, when compared to Zero in Tatsunoko VS Capcom or Marvel VS Capcom which uses X Zero

Twilord

Smash Ace
Honest question; why haven’t new event spirits been found in datamines? Considering we don’t get any in-game file updates, it seems like it’d be a no-brainer in regards to finding them to whittle down our FP11 options.
Does a data mine

Huh, it just gives the name of a bunch of Japanese fairy like creatures.

(DISCLAIMER: I did not actually do a Datamine.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I see people speculate all the time of who is the next character, but I have never heard anyone speculate on who is next on the death row for the last smash trailer?

So, we have seen tons of characters die including Galeem (Mario has died a lot) in smash trailers so who do you think is next on the chopping block for the last trailer?
Let’s actually avert that for the last trailer; since it’ll most likely be a Final Battle vs both Galeem AND Dharkon…

EVERYONE
LIVES!

(except Galeem and Dharkon, they’re screwed lmao)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I see people speculate all the time of who is the next character, but I have never heard anyone speculate on who is next on the death row for the last smash trailer?

So, we have seen tons of characters die including Galeem (Mario has died a lot) in smash trailers so who do you think is next on the chopping block for the last trailer?
Would be nice to see Luigi in the next trailer. We haven’t seen him in any of the trailers for the characters yet ever since Simon’s reveal all the way in the base roster which is surprising as I would of thought he’d have been in the Steve trailer because of the whole situation being about iconic characters.

part of me is using the Luigi being missing from trailers as a way to hold on hope that king boo is last and he’ll appear there but it’s slim hope.

would be nice to see characters such as peach, daisy, pokemon characters that haven’t appeared in them yet, wario etc appear.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Let’s actually avert that for the last trailer; since it’ll most likely be a Final Battle vs both Galeem AND Dharkon…

EVERYONE
LIVES!

Everyone gets killed, and then you see a small blue dot in the distance, falling directly upward at Galeem and Dharkon and Viridian from VVVVVV is confirmed for Smash and then instantly kills them both in a colossal explosion

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

EVERYONE
LIVES!

That would imply that Square Enix double dips and gets a second fighter this pass, which I doubt.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
On the topic of character trailers, what are some brutal things your most wanted could do in the trailer that also keeps them at an E10 or T rating and fits theme of what they are if they got in

We’ve had kazuya chucking people into a volcano

a creeper exploding right next to Mario

and we’ve had sephiroth slicing the villain in half and making Mario look dead

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Here's a quick question.

Do you think the last fighter will be an older character or a newer character?

And also, where do you draw the line between older and newer?
50 / 50 between the two, although it depends heavily on if it's first party or third party. If it's first party I'm more tempted to say a new one since Nintendo have been very keen on promoting new games / IPs with Smash Bros DLC.

If I had to draw the line, I'd say the 10-year mark (currently 2011 and before), since games / series that are 10+ years old have had a lot of time to establish themselves. Although there's a lot of grey area there, so there's a lot of room for interpretation.

I think that's only the case for X. I've never seen Mega Man Zero used as Zero's full name in any official context.

The impression I get is that they're very different characters; enough that you would want to differentiate between Zero (Mega Man X) and Zero (Mega Man Zero), though it's typically assumed that you're talking about the Mega Man X iteration.

Wait, they aren’t the same person?
In addition to what ahemtoday said:

The X series ends sometime after the last X game - when Zero admits himself to a research institute since his body still contained the Maverick virus. As such he went into a coma so his body and mind could be studied - the researchers made sure to back up his mind and memory. The Cyber-Elves (basically A.I. fairies for all intents and purposes) are invented by studying Zero alongside the Mother Elf, which was created specifically to counter traces of Sigma's programming. In fact, the Mother Elf helps to purge the virus - and the government planned to make sure to clear all cured Mavericks of all charges. X himself and most of the scientists involved want to ensure humans and Reploids can coexist after all.

However, Dr. Weil (presumably not related to Wily) is not on board with this, and he has grown to increasingly hate Reploids due to the events in the X series. As such he hijacks the Mother Elf as well as Zero's original body - repurposing both as the elf-controlling Dark Elf and the weapon Omega. With that Weil instigates the Elf Wars; using the Elves as proxies and hacking tools to make Reploids go berserk in an effort to wipe the Reploids out. As a response X made sure that Zero's original mind was transplanted to his clone body - his MMZ body - and both of them took out the Dark Elf first - forcing Weil's hand,

Weil unleashes Omega, and the original body combined with Weil's footsoldiers go on to slaughter humans and Reploids en masse until X and Zero stop them. With 60 % of humans and 90 % of Reploids dead (and remember, the X series were supposed to end with X5, another near-total extinction) Omega and Weil are sealed away (in a pretty idiotic move), Zero goes into a coma and X - in another idiotic move - seals himself with the Dark Elf without telling anyone. Thus resulting in one of the scientists' descendants - Ciel - creating a Copy X to help guide the remnants in the Neo Arcadia state. Copy X proves pretty unstable though...

So the Zero series starts with Copy X ordering a clampdown on Reploids, an Resistance forming against that with Ciel as one of the head figures, and Ciel stumbling upon Zero's comatose body while being chased by Neo Arcadia forces. She realizes that the comatose Zero body is the legendary Zero, and uses a Cyber elf to ressurect him (even if he's amnesiac at first).

Yes, MMZ Zero = MMX Zero, just 100+ years after the MMX series and a body swap (with the mind / memory intact).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'll be honest, most of the first-party ATs would genuinely surprise me. It's not that I don't think an upgrade could happen, it's just that when I look at the other three first-parties that were added as DLC, I see a pattern.

There's some characters like Waluigi who don't promote a specific game, so that leaves us with...a random stage, random music tracks, and random Spirits? It feels messy compared to the other bundles that focused solely on 3H, ARMS, and XC2 respectively. Then there's characters like Issac who are capable of making a congruent bundle, but they're kinda dated. Hard to imagine Nintendo opting for an older character when all three of their first-party choices debuted on the Switch. And before everyone hurls the "But Ridley/K.Rool/Banjo!", those three had a MASSIVE following. I feel like none of the ATs that could qualify as irrelevant have a following that comes close to those three.
If they wanted to, Waluigi’s pack could be focused on the new Mario Golf or Party. He’s only in crossover games, so it’d make sense that he could have a pack focused on one of the newer games.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Yeah, but Mega Man Zero is just the name of the game. The character's name is just "Zero".

In fact, Mega Man X...is not named Mega Man X. His name is just "X".

The only character actually named Mega Man is the one from the classic series.

X series Zero typically only uses the Z Saber and maybe a traditional gun arm, Mega Man Zero has a sword, an actual gun rather than a gun arm, the Shield Boomerang, Triple Rod which is a lance, Chain Rod which is kinda like a whip, Recoil Rod which functions as tonfas, the Z Knuckle which lets him steal weapons and Cyber Elfs, it's pretty obvious when one looks at how different Zero is in SNK VS Capcom, which uses MMZ, when compared to Zero in Tatsunoko VS Capcom or Marvel VS Capcom which uses X Zero
Yeah but, they're still the same dude. Zero goes to sleep after MMX for, like, 100 years, and gets woken up in MMZ. And they fix up his body, but he's the same character.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think being an Assist Trophy is a hard deconfirm in and of itself, but I honestly don't see us getting an Assist Trophy promotion this late in the game where there is only one character left. I feel like Nintendo has bigger fish to fry that they don't need to fall back on retooling an Assist.
Ditto here. Especially when there are already hundreds of characters without even any form of representation yet to be in this game. Assists would be the last thing on their mind.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Would be nice to see Luigi in the next trailer. We haven’t seen him in any of the trailers for the characters yet ever since Simon’s reveal all the way in the base roster which is surprising as I would of thought he’d have been in the Steve trailer because of the whole situation being about iconic characters.

part of me is using the Luigi being missing from trailers as a way to hold on hope that king boo is last and he’ll appear there but it’s slim hope.

would be nice to see characters such as peach, daisy, pokemon characters that haven’t appeared in them yet, wario etc appear.
Luigi's dead and nobody saved his soul from Carmilla, duh
Yeah, but Mega Man Zero is just the name of the game. The character's name is just "Zero".

In fact, Mega Man X...is not named Mega Man X. His name is just "X".

The only character actually named Mega Man is the one from the classic series.

Yeah but, they're still the same dude. Zero goes to sleep after MMX for, like, 100 years, and gets woken up in MMZ. And they fix up his body, but he's the same character.
Yes but the distinction's made as the X series is far more popular and he has vastly different arsenals in the Zero series, it's an easy way to make sure people don't get confused between the two, as someone who's never touched the MMZ games would be very surprised to see Zero with tonfas, especially as both series had games released around the same time which certainly doesn't help. Like, Bentley from the Sly Cooper games is still the same character in every game but Bentley still has different stuff before and after getting crippled in 2 to the point there's a difference. They're the same person, but do stuff radically different

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Ditto here. Especially when there are already hundreds of characters without even any form of representation yet to be in this game. Assists would be the last thing on their mind.
true to an extent. Sakurai probably goes to a company to get a character but the company could easily try and persuade sakurai to make them use another rep instead

we’ve seen a glimps of this where sakurai said he was wanting ninjara but the producer of arms wanted min min and then there was when he went to square Enix not knowing if he could get hero and then square said to use as many hero’s as he wanted (something along the lines) and then there’s the speculation/rumours that sephiroth was the reason to why cloud returned.

It’s not far fetched to think that if Nintendo went to a third party company that had an AT in the game in order to get a specific character then that company could push for an upgrade instead of that character or come to some sort of An agreement.

only problem is who do you promote though.

blackghost

Smash Champion

This. People dont seem to get this. every dlc launches with music, a stage, and spirit challenges of supplementary characters. in other words: LORE. waluigi offers none of that. he has nothing to pull from and already his moveset would be generated from thin air.

I perosnally dont even bleieve he is as popuylar as the echo chamber leads people to believe. Nintendo certainly doesn't think so they barely use the character in any way that matters (even other secondary mario characters show up in other ways down to daisy)

If an AT gets an upgrade (which im 99% sure wont happen) why would it be waluigi over alucard, shovel knight, or Zero? that makes no business sense.

if mii costumes dont hard deconfirm, im jumping back on the dante train.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This. People dont seem to get this. every dlc launches with music, a stage, and spirit challenges of supplementary characters. in other words: LORE. waluigi offers none of that. he has nothing to pull from and already his moveset would be generated from thin air.

I perosnally dont even bleieve he is as popuylar as the echo chamber leads people to believe. Nintendo certainly doesn't think so they barely use the character in any way that matters (even other secondary mario characters show up in other ways down to daisy)

If an AT gets an upgrade (which im 99% sure wont happen) why would it be waluigi over alucard, shovel knight, or Zero? that makes no business sense.

if mii costumes dont hard deconfirm, im jumping back on the dante train.
I mean, if you asked me to put in 100 characters, I wouldn't even think of including Waluigi, but the backlash against his AT specifically is easily the most vocal out of AT, even the likes of Shadow and Isaac who had a fake leak backing them until the very end, he's easily the most popular AT by far

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I mean, if you asked me to put in 100 characters, I wouldn't even think of including Waluigi, but the backlash against his AT specifically is easily the most vocal out of AT, even the likes of Shadow and Isaac who had a fake leak backing them until the very end, he's easily the most popular AT by far
i could see shadow being upgraded simply for the ultimate life form pun and because half of the games he’s been in have evolved around fake shadow clones.

I could see something along the lines of shadow appearing out of no where and complaining that sonic must pay for not inviting the ultimate life form to the Ultimate fight.

it would genuinely feel like a sega thing to do since nowadays in spin-offs he just some cocky edglord. 80% of his lines in TAR is just him telling everyone he’s the ultimate life form.

How likely it is though is anyone’s guess. I’m writing off rules because each one seems to be shut down within each character.

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I could definitely see an assist trophy be upgraded because...well there is nothing stopping them from doing that. With that said I think the main reason why an upgrade hasn't happened yet is due to the fact that none of the assist trophies have a particularly strong argument going for them.
At this point, if a Golden Sun game is being made it's probably too late to be considered.
I mean yeah, though Golden Sun has the advantage that there's three games that already exist. We don't -need- anew game to be out for 6 months so Sakurai knows what to do with the character. That's already there from the old games. The only thing that does is offer another chance to promote a video game, which shouldn't be the only thing that counts. It didn't count for Banjo, or Duck Hunt. It barely counted for Little Mac. Like, why do some retro characters get a pass for this and others not?

Isaac alrready got his costume in base and Waluigi has a hat at least. They're not really in contention for anything other than fighter status, it's been too long unlike Alucard who's brand new to the Trophy cabinet. Shovel Knight should totally have a Mii by now though.

Also, I don't think the Isaac popularity is solely for him and not his series. Many of us would be just as happy with Felix, maybe less so for Matthew but we'll take anything at this point. The other two just aren't as well known since Isaac is the frontrunner in Smash speculation. But as for the popularity of the series itself, it was a big game on the GBA, but the time between games and the recent drought has obviously left it with just nostalgia to keep it going. There's plenty of social media attention to try and keep awareness up (keep an eye out tomorrow!), but there's only so much we can do. That being said, I find it strange there's not been a decision to just get the GS brand into Smash at any point in the last 18 or so years, regardless of who the assist is. But oh well, I can understand Switch titles taking priority.
Totally misread, nevermind all this.

The only thing I'm left hoping for is that they've done their priorities and can now consider something more retro to end us off :>

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom