• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
People say he would just be Steve because building stuff but with guns.
I mean, I'm familiar with Fortnite... is this really wrong?
I suppose the building could be less intricate- just have specials that are different constructions?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, I'm familiar with Fortnite... is this really wrong?
I suppose the building could be less intricate- just have specials that are different constructions?
It's about as accurate a descriptor as saying megaman is just mario with a gun.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They actually did give us Dr. King Boo just last yearView attachment 324471
Ah. Then the game services are no longer needed.
I’ll never understand their reasoning for giving us this version of king boo when it’s not even the original version

king boo’s first appearance was in Luigi mansion so by default the creepy version should be the one being used yet they try and neglect it wherever they can
I don't see why that matters. We don't have Jumpman as the original Mario. We don't have Princess Toadstool or King Koopa.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
[
I'm still more confident that that FP11's not just a promotional pick at this point. Maybe not a jaw dropping reveal like Steve or Sephiroth, but a character that fans would be willing to accept with some positivity and probably one with some unique gameplay aspects that set the character apart. There was a great deal of emphasis on FP11 when the second pass was fully revealed.
I don't think "a great deal of emphasis on FP11" is the most accurate way to describe how they highlighed the last challenger pack.

When they made the announcement I never saw that suspicious or anything like that. If they highlighed it it was probably because instead of getting 5 characters, like happened with the first pass, we are getting 6. So the way they highlighed that just feels to me like "hey, we're doing another fighter pass, and now with one more fighter included!".

I could be wrong, though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There was a great deal of emphasis on FP11 when the second pass was fully revealed.
Likely to emphasize that we are getting one more character this time than in the last pass.
I'm really shocked people took it another way.
man- a full page back, and still I was Ninja'd by one post.
Originally the mode was supposed to have been outsourced, but they couldn't find anyone suitable. Now they probably wouldn't do it 'cuz leaks.

Also, when asked as to why there was no Adventure Mode in the previous game, Sakurai basically said that he thought that the cutscenes being put online lessened the experience of them so he decided to use the funds on character trailers instead.
At first, I am tempted to think that this idea is a waste of time.
But then I think of the hype and publicity these reveals draw, how much fun I have in speculation, and that this attention can lead to more content overall, and I find it to be the right decision.
It's about as accurate a descriptor as saying megaman is just mario with a gun.
Alright... then please offer an alternative description of Jonesey.
Because even with Megaman- I'd describe two key differences as "no emphasis temporary item transformations," and lack of focus on jumping.
Fortnite Jonesy would be a pretty refreshing and unique addition
I'm all for believing this... so, how would he be unique?

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Reports of Nintendo's planned involvement in the Olympics leaked.

Interesting. So at least we know that Mario, Pokémon and Zelda songs were planned to be there.
Might've been cost overruns (wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, especially given the initial pitch of having Lady Gaga emerge from the Warp Pipe*.) and the severe organizational instability surrounding the games. It's not something unpredictable either, considering that the Games have had infamously trouble with managing budgets (Sochi 2014 being a prime example, but far from the only one) and the IOC's dependency on TV contracts. And that's not mentioning everything that COVID meant.

Still though Nintendo did commit to the idea in Rio, I'm not going to entirely discount the possibility they'll do something at the closing ceremony even if the chances are slim at best.

*Damn that's a missed opportunity, they could've had her emerge in a Bayonetta or Peach outfit since she's a Bayo fan.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because even with Megaman- I'd describe two key differences as "no emphasis temporary item transformations," and lack of focus on jumping.
First of all, that's a pretty shallow way to describe the differences between Mega Man and Mario which I think is half wrong anyways, but I digress.

Secondly, Jonesy's a 3rd person shooter first and a builder second. He's not just Steve with guns, he's Steve without his miscellaneous tools that make up Steve's unconventional moveset and instead has the weaponry, tools, and different type of building that Fortnite has. It's such a big difference in design philosophy, I'd say their differences were self-evident, even as personally, someone who really really doesn't like Fortnite.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Reports of Nintendo's planned involvement in the Olympics leaked.

It's fascinating reading Japanese responses to this. I didn't know how unpopular this year's Olympics was over there until just now. I guess it makes sense; COVID is still a thing that hasn't been completely figured out yet, and the lack of physical attendees that would normally come with something as huge as the Olympics means serious trouble for Japan's national debt. A lot of people are pretty pissed that they weren't postponed or outright canceled, and now they have to basically settle for Olympics Lite. That's gotta feel insulting.

Nintendo distancing itself from this could be seen as them reading the room (for once) and not associating itself with what a lot of people are seeing as a national shame. Apparently Toyota pulled out for similar reasons.

Weird...I guess now's a bad time to wheel in my PowerPoint presentation about how each of the Olympic rings might represent a character from the second Fighter's Pass and what that means for Challenger Pack 11, huh?

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I'm all for believing this... so, how would he be unique?
jonesy could build soft platforms you can fall thru and ramps, as opposed to steve’s hard terrain. And while steve lacks a traditional projectile jonesy could have a multitude of guns. They could even incorporate items like healing, shields, etc

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
SMT is cool but I’d be pretty disappointed by a SMT rep being the last character. Or anything vaguely anime at this point lol. Curse me if you must.
(And yes I know Phoenix Wright fits that role, which is sad.)
(I’m still not changing my bio)
(maybe I’d be okay with it, but my smash bros would give him so much **** in that circumstance)

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’m actually glad that the last character is most likely gonna be revealed in the Nintendo direct because it means I wouldn’t be able to look at the rating in the bottom corner to see what the age rating is.

the age ratings are weird with characters trailers these days with things like jokers being E10 and then byleth being T and then others like min min being T and kazuya being E10 so if this was a smash direct I just know for a fact the first thing I’d do is check the age rating to see what it could Potentially be so I’m glad it’ll be in the direct where it’s impossible to call.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’m actually glad that the last character is most likely gonna be revealed in the Nintendo direct because it means I wouldn’t be able to look at the rating in the bottom corner to see what the age rating is.

the age ratings are weird with characters trailers these days with things like jokers being E10 and then byleth being T and then others like min min being T and kazuya being E10 so if this was a smash direct I just know for a fact the first thing I’d do is check the age rating to see what it could Potentially be so I’m glad it’ll be in the direct where it’s impossible to call.
Min Min is T
Kazuya is E10+
1627511457557.png

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
For a split second no one was viewing this thread but me and it felt strange and kinda scary.

I never noticed the reveal trailers are rated.... Heh so the one with Kirby and falcon eating noodles was rated more adult that Kazuya dropping beloved smash characters into a fiery volcano? Cool!

Theguy123

Smash Lord
For a split second no one was viewing this thread but me and it felt strange and kinda scary.

I never noticed the reveal trailers are rated.... Heh so the one with Kirby and falcon eating noodles was rated more adult that Kazuya dropping beloved smash characters into a fiery volcano? Cool!
yeah they’re rated. Not just the trailers though. The trailers, presentation and then the mii costume section are all rated individually.

for example kazuya’s trailer is E10, his mii costume section is e10-T and then his presentation is E10

another example would be min min. Her trailer is E10, her mii costume section is E10 and then her overall presentation is E10-T

a lot of them don’t make sense because the ratings for certain characters are just weird

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
inb4 Travis Scott and Marshmello alts for Jonesy

Wait that actually sounds kinda fire
A couple of weeks ago, one of the kids at the camp I work at claimed Venom was a Fortnite character.

Thus, he is a video game character, meaning Jonesy will have a Venom alt.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who's played every Megaman game in the book, there is a HUGE focus on jumping. Like, Megaman's difficulty 9 times out of ten comes from insane jumps you have to make.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
As someone who's played every Megaman game in the book, there is a HUGE focus on jumping. Like, Megaman's difficulty 9 times out of ten comes from insane jumps you have to make.
I mean ... The FIRST game ! The disappearing ice blocks, the magnet beam that allows for stair climbing a level.... Jumping puzzles is huge in mega man haha and he falls like he weighs a million pounds which adds to his jumping.... Depth. Yah

SKX31

Smash Master
New Donuts line.

Time to put those in the Xbox Fridge. :roll:

A couple of weeks ago, one of the kids at the camp I work at claimed Venom was a Fortnite character.

Thus, he is a video game character, meaning Jonesy will have a Venom alt.
In an alternate timeline, where a certain deal was signed and lead to more.

Kid: Hey Mr. Garteam Garteam , everyone knows that Samus is a Fortnite character! And so is Spring Man!
Garteam Garteam :

:4pacman:

Also worth mentioning: A lot of game-specific upgrades (both in Classic and subsuquent subseries) focus on enhancing or aiding Mega Man's jumping. Whether it's the Rush Coil / Jet for Megaman himself (or even the aformentioned Magnet Beam in 1 / the fusion in 6 / 7), a lot of X's armors (most notably X5's Falcon Armor, which offered unlimited flight when completed) or several of Zero's subweapons in the Zero series - such as the Recoil Rod in Zero 3.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They don't call 'em Jump and Shoot man for nuthin'. :4pacman:

It would be accurate to say that Super Mario and Mega Man use jumping very differently though. Super Mario typically designs all of its mechanics around jumping, so it's your attack, it helps you land fire balls, power ups often amplify it, etc. However, while you have to make full use of your jumps to take out/avoid threats and such, the jumps themselves are rather tame. Mega Man is the opposite; you have to shoot to beat enemies, and none of the weapons that you get interact with the jump in an organic way (even the utilities are special platforms rather than additions to the jump ability). Even so, Mega Man games throw the most b.s. jumping puzzles you'll ever see:

1627515262436.png

image from the Mega Man Home Page
Here, you're supposed to run back and forth on this swing to allow you to get close enough to jump to the ledge, but not jump so far as to kill yourself on the instant death spikes. This dosn't even make the top 10 list of worst jumps in the series.

Shroob

Sup?
They don't call 'em Jump and Shoot man for nuthin'. :4pacman:

It would be accurate to say that Super Mario and Mega Man use jumping very differently though. Super Mario typically designs all of its mechanics around jumping, so it's your attack, it helps you land fire balls, power ups often amplify it, etc. However, while you have to make full use of your jumps to take out/avoid threats and such, the jumps themselves are rather tame. Mega Man is the opposite; you have to shoot to beat enemies, and none of the weapons that you get interact with the jump in an organic way (even the utilities are special platforms rather than additions to the jump ability). Even so, Mega Man games throw the most b.s. jumping puzzles you'll ever see:

View attachment 324541
image from the Mega Man Home Page
Here, you're supposed to run back and forth on this swing to allow you to get close enough to jump to the ledge, but not jump so far as to kill yourself on the instant death spikes. This dosn't even make the top 10 list of worst jumps in the series.
THAT
LEVEL

Ahem

I mean.... moving right along.....

MattX20

Smash Hero
Jonesy is unlikely to be FP11. Remember, his game didn't come out until a good way through 2017, and unlike Minecraft which was already around for 5 years at the time negotiations for Smash Ultimate began, it hadn't even reached its peak popularity yet. It wasn't until 2019 when it did.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Goddamn! The first 3 Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are out. And I know they said they were going to all have rearranged music, but I assumed that 1-4 would use the same rearrangements they made for the PSP/DS remakes. But no, they made completely NEW rearramangents by Uematsu!

1627516542981.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the topic of Mega Man, if a Robot Master and/or a Maverick were to get a stage, which one would you pick? If you feel there is an obligatory answer, you are allowed an additional 100% bias pick.

For the Mavericks, I pick Magma Arena so that everyone can experience the pain of having to fight doughnuts that shoot at you, and just keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Goddamn! The first 3 Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are out. And I know they said they were going to all have rearranged music, but I assumed that 1-4 would use the same rearrangements they made for the PSP/DS remakes. But no, they made completely NEW rearramangents by Uematsu!

View attachment 324542
Be awfully nice if these were on consoles.....

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This guy made a good video on a hypothetically Jonesy fighter/CP
I appreciate you going to the trouble of providing the link- and I did watch it. But it is odd to use this to justify that Fortnite is not heavily unique by it's base on building, when the video you reference specifically says that building is what separated Fortnite from other Battle Royales.
And I agree- it is the most unique mechanic in the game. So- I remain unconvinced that this wouldn't be the center of his moveset. A lot of people on Smash Boards seem to focus on the slightly less prominent details of a character, and I don't understand this notion. But- no worries.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On the topic of Mega Man, if a Robot Master and/or a Maverick were to get a stage, which one would you pick? If you feel there is an obligatory answer, you are allowed an additional 100% bias pick.

For the Mavericks, I pick Magma Arena so that everyone can experience the pain of having to fight doughnuts that shoot at you, and just keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and...
Either Magma Dragoon or Frost Walrus. I just... really like those guys. I suck at MegaMan games, though.

That said, Ice Man and Snake Man are cool. >.>;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom