• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm curious- is there a prominent video game character (who is the protag or leading face or fan favorite of the game) that focuses on healing? It would be super interesting to see a character who has a moveset based around being a healer.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I appreciate you going to the trouble of providing the link- and I did watch it. But it is odd to use this to justify that Fortnite is not heavily unique by it's base on building, when the video you reference specifically says that building is what separated Fortnite from other Battle Royale's.
And I agree- it is the most unique mechanic in the game. So- I remain unconvinced that this wouldn't be the center of his moveset. A lot of people on Smash Boards seem to focus on the slightly less prominent details of a character, and I don't understand this notion. But- no worries.
Thanks for responding.

Here's my personal take on Jonesy
For sure, his methods and scale of building could easily be distinguishable and therefore unique from Steve.
But "mining" and "breaking"... I'd approach a bit differently. And his kit as a whole.

I have this idea of background items (like where Pokemon Trainer stands) Jonesy could stand near and break for loot and whatnot.
Open RNG chests in this same background to get particular sets of gear and weapons that affect his move pool.
Sounds cool when put in retrospect imo.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Aside from resource/crafting mechanics which is Steve's gimmick, maybe he could be a looter for better weapons and a trap master?
aoe traps would be pretty cool especially used in tandem with building

they could even incorporate randomly spawned item drops to upgrade his weapons mid match

Shroob

Sup?
I'm curious- is there a prominent video game character (who is the protag or leading face or fan favorite of the game) that focuses on healing? It would be super interesting to see a character who has a moveset based around being a healer.
Unless balanced to the point of being unviable, a "Healing" fighter would be unfun in every way imaginable to fight against.

Hero has a healing move, and that's limited to twice per stock for a reason.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Another question, that has probably been asked before:

What is the most iconic/ impactful Nintendo franchise to not have a playable character?
Note: Not your personal favorite.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Unless balanced to the point of being unviable, a "Healing" fighter would be unfun in every way imaginable to fight against.

Hero has a healing move, and that's limited to twice per stock for a reason.
Oh- of course it would be balanced around this mechanic. The fighter would be a lightweight with weak attacks, and have almost nothing else going for it.
Either Rhythm Heaven or Wars.
Solid choices!
Those are on my top 4 list, but I'd add Excite!
The extra space is probably Ring Fit Adventure.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

What is the most iconic/ impactful Nintendo franchise to not have a playable character?
I'd argue that most of what's iconic/impactful already has a fighter at this point, and the ones that don't are like

Nintendogs and Brain Age

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Ring Fit Adventure? Miis by technicality?

I don't think any Nintendo series without a character could be considered iconic within the general gaming landscape.

Oh- of course it would be balanced around this mechanic. The fighter would be a lightweight with weak attacks, and have almost nothing else going for it.
But then they'd just be bad...

You might be able to get away with something like this with a transforming character like The Warriors of Light from the first Final Fantasy, but a design like that would be pretty fundamentally broken on a solo character.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Here’s a question
What’s the best/or your MW WTFF pick you can think of or got?

my answer is quite based, no mean to brag😳😳

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Of the feasible series it's Ring Fit Adventure.

It just may not seem that way because its marketing and target demographic distorts it from how we typically perceive achievement.

But you can't argue with that install base, nor would it be wise to expect Nintendo not to return to that well after its performance.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Some of the final fantasy cast comes to mind.... Banon was it? He just heals the party every round while doing that river mini quest...

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
yea idek any big name healing white mage esque protagonists

healing abilities in fighting games usually walk a very fine line of broken:useless. I imagine they’re hard to balance but it’s definitely not impossible

Ivander

Smash Legend
He said MCs/protags. Banon is, like, a D-tier side character.

Trying to think of a JRPG where the MC is the White Mage...
Well, Ryu from Breath of Fire 3 did have alot of healing spells, even if the focus was on his Dragon Form. But I think he was the main healer while Momo, while she also had healing spells, had alot more support spells than healing spells. There is also Riou from Suikoden 2 who had the Shining Shield Rune that had healing spells.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

healing abilities in fighting games usually walk a very fine line of broken:useless. I imagine they’re hard to balance but it’s definitely not impossible
Yuna and Princess Garnet aren’t really the main protagonists but the story in each game does revolve around both of them. FFIX and FFX were my two favorite games in the series and Garnet is my favorite character from IX. I think they could each make for great Smash characters utilizing white mage abilities as well as summoning.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Yeah it doesn't have a very good track record:
  • Gill's Resurrection is broken, but it's supposed to be, and he doesn't seem to have it as a playable character in Street Fighter V.
  • Elena's Healing is broken in Street Fighter IV, but I don't know it's use in Street Fighter III: Third Strike.
  • Dark Phoenix Rising isn't broken because of the healing, but because Dark Phoenix is broken. There's a good chance that this is the case because Phoenix is made out of tissue paper and is in a team game so she's allowed to be more polarized than what a game would normally allow.
    • Also, there's counterplay.
  • Master Mummy's heal shield doesn't heal that much, but it might be enough to be relevant at least. Even so, it's also balanced by the fact that bunkering down in your shield just gets you thrown for massive damage.
  • Wii Fit Trainer's healing is inconsequential.
  • Hero's Heal is inconsequential, very rare, and can only be used twice a stock.
  • Robin's Noseferatu is near impossible to land.
  • Mira is the only fighting game character with healing that I've actually seen praise for.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
On the topic of Mega Man, if a Robot Master and/or a Maverick were to get a stage, which one would you pick? If you feel there is an obligatory answer, you are allowed an additional 100% bias pick.

For the Mavericks, I pick Magma Arena so that everyone can experience the pain of having to fight doughnuts that shoot at you, and just keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and...
That's a cool question. I think I'd go with

Blast Man Stage from Mega Man 11

Sky Lagoon from Mega Man X4 (having the robot dragon boss as a stage hazard or something would be cool)

Spike Rosered Stage from MM X5 is also super neat I think.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If there were to be a character with an actually decent heal move I would probably have it be something like this: When you use the move, you heal over time for about, say, 5-10 seconds. At the end, you will have healed ~10%. However, if you are struck during the healing process, that attack does ~10% more damage + what you healed; Not only do you not heal, but you take more damage than you would have in the first place.

Also this character wouldn't have the rest of their tools dedicated to runaway or keepaway tactics. The design falls apart if the character isn't at least somewhat aggressive in practice.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
:ultness: is actually a tanky healer in Earthbound, being the only party member to get Lifeup Omega (Earthbound's best healing spell) and having only one offensive PSI ability in PK Rockin.

Granted, that's obviously not reflected in Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve mentioned this before but I think Raziel’s gimmick could be interesting in Smash. In Soul Reaver, Raziel is constantly losing health but drains health from attacking and killing enemies. Raziel is a vampire so this fits him perfectly. The main problem is that, in Smash, it would just encourage your opponents to run away the whole match.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’ve mentioned this before but I think Raziel’s gimmick could be interesting in Smash. In Soul Reaver, Raziel is constantly losing health but drains health from attacking and killing enemies. Raziel is a vampire so this fits him perfectly. The main problem is that, in Smash, it would just encourage your opponents to run away the whole match.
It should be fine if he's a rush down character; He can chase the quick ones, get around the zoning of the zoners, and the heavies can't escape him so running is futile*.

Unless you're Sonic, but that's nothing new.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Isaac from GS can heal and he gains the skill since almost the start of the game.

My three big picks would be Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven and Advance Wars.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
God so many choices... Gonna go with Sparkman! One of if not the favorite stage music and just... Really fun. Dunno how it'd work in ultimate tho... 🤔
Hmm...How about a stage that has two main platforms kinda like Reset Bomb Forest, but without the semi-solid platforms on the right, and the main platforms are bigger. There would be two chutes on either side of the stage that will release items, junk that hurt players, and those zappy enemies from the beginning of the stage. Also, on the far left and right are the rising platforms that sit near the bottom and can save players, but will rise up when stood on or grabbed, and will speed up at a quick pace. If they reach the blast zone, you will be K.O.'ed.

Either Magma Dragoon or Frost Walrus. I just... really like those guys. I suck at MegaMan games, though.

That said, Ice Man and Snake Man are cool. >.>;
The Spark Man concept was fun so I'll make one for some of your picks as well:

Volcano:
Three platforms suspended over lava that have two semi-solid platforms that fill in the gaps between them. Sometimes a fireball arcs around one of the platforms, or a few meteors rain down from the sky. Ride Armours will often spawn, and if players get in, they can walk around in the lava for a time.

Snow Base:
A stage with one main platform. This platform has walls going all the way down, and slants upward in the center, creating a raised surface. The stage is quite wide to compensate for the fact that it has ice physics, and that players will slide down the slants when they stand on them, which effectively splits the stage into three parts. Periodically, snow platforms will form on the sides of the stage as well as above the center. They appear long enough to be used strategically, then disappear again.

I was planning on doing Ice Man and Snake Man's stages, but I've exhausted my creativity for now.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

"Dragon Quest XI" (DRAGON QUEST XI) was released today in 2017 !! A work that realizes completely different video expression in 2D mode in PS4 and 3DS, as well as 3DS. It was the definitive edition of the "Dragon Quest" series, and it was a volume that worried about the development of the next work.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah it doesn't have a very good track record:
  • Gill's Resurrection is broken, but it's supposed to be, and he doesn't seem to have it as a playable character in Street Fighter V.
  • Elena's Healing is broken in Street Fighter IV, but I don't know it's use in Street Fighter III: Third Strike.
  • Dark Phoenix Rising isn't broken because of the healing, but because Dark Phoenix is broken. There's a good chance that this is the case because Phoenix is made out of tissue paper and is in a team game so she's allowed to be more polarized than what a game would normally allow.
    • Also, there's counterplay.
  • Master Mummy's heal shield doesn't heal that much, but it might be enough to be relevant at least. Even so, it's also balanced by the fact that bunkering down in your shield just gets you thrown for massive damage.
  • Wii Fit Trainer's healing is inconsequential.
  • Hero's Heal is inconsequential, very rare, and can only be used twice a stock.
  • Robin's Noseferatu is near impossible to land.
  • Mira is the only fighting game character with healing that I've actually seen praise for.
Wolverine is usually not OP in Xmen fighting games.
While it isn't a specific healing move, I think it is a great example of how it can work in a moveset.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Hmmm I think if done correctly this would be interesting.

In Brawl Minus (my favorite of the modded Brawls) Jigglypuff healed when resting.

Something along this concept makes the most sense. A move that both heals and leave one vulnerable.

The question is who?

blackghost

Smash Champion
Wolverine is usually not OP in Xmen fighting games.
While it isn't a specific healing move, I think it is a great example of how it can work in a moveset.
what game are you tlaking about? wolverine never has had healing in any mvc game or xmen v street fighter game.

healing as a concept for characters doesnt work well. it either has no impact and isnt used or its OP and everyone hates it. fihgting games are near 40 years old now and while character arctypes cotninue to be reinvented and pushed (shoutouts to the new strive Brawling mixup character(?)) this specefic ability is left alone for a reason.

if a game has healing generally it is a team game with recoverable health and a game mechanic.

in terms of characters left it could be DLC: pokemon, master chief, spyro, crash, all come to mind. I was hung up on dante so i hadnt really considered others for this final spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom