• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
unironically when thinking about this, Phoenix Wright would also fit in with the 40 name list leak assuming it’s real
Ya know, even though the list could be legit, hasn't Sakurai said that Nintendo chooses the DLC, with them having the main say, but Sakurai being able to have the final say based on what he can and cannot do? I know this happened for Pass 1, and I think it's safe to assume the same pattern for Pass 2.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Ya know, even though the list could be legit, hasn't Sakurai said that Nintendo chooses the DLC, with them having the main say, but Sakurai being able to have the final say based on what he can and cannot do? I know this happened for Pass 1, and I think it's safe to assume the same pattern for Pass 2.
yeah I’m pretty sure he has said this, however we don’t know how Nintendo chose the characters. For all we know they could make a list, spitball ideas until they get something they like, just straight up go to sakurai with names until sakurai says something he likes etc.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
do we know where abouts the tournament event would’ve taken Place. Would it of taken place around Steve, would it have taken place around Sephiroth or inbetween the both etc
Well, the tournament would've happened in September of last year.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
yeah I’m pretty sure he has said this, however we don’t know how Nintendo chose the characters. For all we know they could make a list, spitball ideas until they get something they like, just straight up go to sakurai with names until sakurai says something he likes etc.
Possibly.
I could see it fold out like "Discuss characters based on a myriad of factors, compile a list, pick out a final group of characters, approach potential third party companies they'd need to get involved, and have backup choices ready incase any disturbances rise up"

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Real talk, what do you all want in the last trailer. What do want the setting to be like

do you want it to be a mystery till the character is revealed or do you want it to be obvious??

do you want a gigantic fight that brings the heroes together??

do you want a WOL carry on with darkhon getting destroyed??

do you want a sequel to kazuya or Sephiroth etc.

Just what do you want the last character trailer to be like.
Oh, I want it to be a mystery.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
They actually did give us Dr. King Boo just last yearView attachment 324471
I’ll never understand their reasoning for giving us this version of king boo when it’s not even the original version

king boo’s first appearance was in Luigi mansion so by default the creepy version should be the one being used yet they try and neglect it wherever they can

Laniv

Smash Champion
king boo’s first appearance was in Luigi mansion so by default the creepy version should be the one being used yet they try and neglect it wherever they can
Maybe they could use the LM design in Smash Bros if he gets in! Ehhhh?

Please.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’ll never understand their reasoning for giving us this version of king boo when it’s not even the original version

For some reason they just felt the need to redesign the character when they added him to the rest of the Super Mario series (perhaps the "creepy" look didn't fit the more lighthearted games in their opinion?), and it stuck.

Although...his first three appearances were only a year apart, so maybe he was given different designs simultaneously. That may or may not be a better explanation for how we got from
1627487750193.png
1627487771321.png
1627487792278.png

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly? The more time passes, the more I'm convinced that single player is Ultimate's biggest weak point besides the online.

Classic is arguably the best it's ever been (aside from certain bosses being underutilized) and Spirit fights are fun, but WoL just feels like it drags on forever after you clear it once, and I'll never get why they don't let you redo specific stages (especially the bosses). So there's prettu much zero replay value.

No proper Boss Rush and All-Star modes don't help, either, and Homerun was never really my thing.

As far as modes go, my biggest wish right now would be a reworked Smash Run. If we could't have SSE back, that was one of the next best things, and it had mad replay value - City Trial was by far my favorite game mode in Kirby's Air Ride, to draw a comparison.
Unfortunately it really looks like a casuality (that word is strong, yes, still using it) of the general workload. It's evident in how WoL and the Spirit systems are effectively intertwined with each other.

As far as All Star specifically, one method of going about it would be to base it on the Smash 4 incarnation, but with some changes:

• Introducing the ability to save between rounds. Sure, would invite save scumming, but the roster size is humongous. Not many are going to want to try one-and-done-ing this.
  • Not just expanding the number of rounds (9 would be my target) but also giving 3-5 heart containers and 2-3 maxim tomatoes in rest areas. Maybe one Fairy Bottle or two as well, because this is going to be a grind.
  • The CPUs would be as usual easier to launch, perhaps even easier than Smash 4's...
  • ...However, it's very hard that would be lvl 9s. Intense would be Lvl 9 Kazuya or above - that is, characters start to use higher-level tactics more frequently. For instance, CPU :ultduckhunt:, :ultsnake: and :ultbanjokazooie: would more frequently use their explosives to interrupt combos just like most high-level players.:roll:

For some reason they just felt the need to redesign the character when they added him to the rest of the Super Mario series (perhaps the "creepy" look didn't fit the more lighthearted games in their opinion?), and it stuck.

Although...his first three appearances were only a year apart, so maybe he was given different designs simultaneously. That may or may not be a better explanation for how we got from
TBF, the LM1 design might not be well-suited partly because there'd be a dissonance between it and regular Boos, so they might've stuck with the third version partly for consistency's sake.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord

I’d usually agree but considering mario turning into objects and living creatures exists in odyssey which is basically taking their souls and free will and using it for his own good exists, which is very disturbing so the part about the design probabaly being too creepy probably doesn’t bode well

not to mention the giant dragon that appears in odyssey.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
TBF, the LM1 design might not be well-suited partly because there'd be a dissonance between it and regular Boos, so they might've stuck with the third version partly for consistency's sake.
Would there be? It's not that different a design...

I’d usually agree but considering mario turning into objects and living creatures exists in odyssey which is basically taking their souls and free will and using it for his own good exists, which is very disturbing so the part about the design probabaly being too creepy probably doesn’t bode well

not to mention the giant dragon that appears in odyssey.
Er, while that all is a thing now, it definitely was not in 2002-2003 which was when the designs were made. I don't personally believe the original design is creepy at all.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unfortunately it really looks like a casuality (that word is strong, yes, still using it) of the general workload. It's evident in how WoL and the Spirit systems are effectively intertwined with each other.

As far as All Star specifically, one method of going about it would be to base it on the Smash 4 incarnation, but with some changes:

• Introducing the ability to save between rounds. Sure, would invite save scumming, but the roster size is humongous. Not many are going to want to try one-and-done-ing this.
  • Not just expanding the number of rounds (9 would be my target) but also giving 3-5 heart containers and 2-3 maxim tomatoes in rest areas. Maybe one Fairy Bottle or two as well, because this is going to be a grind.
  • The CPUs would be as usual easier to launch, perhaps even easier than Smash 4's...
  • ...However, it's very hard that would be lvl 9s. Intense would be Lvl 9 Kazuya or above - that is, characters start to use higher-level tactics more frequently. For instance, CPU :ultduckhunt:, :ultsnake: and :ultbanjokazooie: would more frequently use their explosives to interrupt combos just like most high-level players.:roll:
True. I wonder if they couldn't have adapted Smash Run (and yes, even the awful Smash Tour) along these years while DLC is still going on, considering the workload has extended from Smash 4 to Ultimate.

It's hard to tell, because we don't know too much on the development side, but it would have been great. At this point, a part of me thinks a new mode with single player value would be more exciting than CP11, even. Partly because I don't think online can be reasonably fixed.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
True. I wonder if they couldn't have adapted Smash Run (and yes, even the awful Smash Tour) along these years while DLC is still going on, considering the workload has extended from Smash 4 to Ultimate.

It's hard to tell, because we don't know too much on the development side, but it would have been great. At this point, a part of me thinks a new mode with single player value would be more exciting than CP11, even. Partly because I don't think online can be reasonably fixed.
I love the legacy one player modes but I would not trade fp11 for better ultimate one player, personally. I just think the brawl crowd hated on sse so hard that 1 player kinda took a back seat when they developed the sequels.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Possibly.
I could see it fold out like "Discuss characters based on a myriad of factors, compile a list, pick out a final group of characters, approach potential third party companies they'd need to get involved, and have backup choices ready incase any disturbances rise up"
I would basically say it passes through three filters:
First, through Nintendo to pick characters, then through the company to get permission/legal stuff, and finally through Sakurai to see what is feasible and potentially more interesting.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I would basically say it passes through three filters:
First, through Nintendo to pick characters, then through the company to get permission/legal stuff, and finally through Sakurai to see what is feasible and potentially more interesting.
Thing is...
Why would Nintendo get permission and legal stuff for a character or feature Sakurai would find difficult to implement?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I love the legacy one player modes but I would not trade fp11 for better ultimate one player, personally. I just think the brawl crowd hated on sse so hard that 1 player kinda took a back seat when they developed the sequels.
To clarify, I didn't say I'd necessarily "trade" them either, just that there's a decent chance that CP11 won't appeal to me, and thus I'd be more excited on the long term for a good single player experience that would keep me playing for longer.

And did people really hate SSE that much? Like, I get that there were pacing problems in certain levels (I remember the Ruins and the Research Facility dragging on for too long) and the whole "ambush" setpieces got annoying at times, but I still thought it was awesome back then.

For instance, I thought WoL wore off my patience about twice as fast. I don't think I ever got to two boss fights in a single sitting because there's just so many fights to do and the areas take forever to clear.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Thing is...
Why would Nintendo get permission and legal stuff for a character or feature Sakurai would find difficult to implement?
And the answer to that comes from a few developments observations.
Based on what Sakurai has told us everything about a character requires the thumbs up from the company. For example, in base smash, we were told that costume variety depends a lot on the company. We also have Sakurai´s comment about how Terry is the only time that they have given a list of music for the character and they received a "Yes" instead of a list back It seems like the feedback of the company is important and its also possible for a company to not be interested in certain characters getting the attention in smash. We also can look at stuff from Square Enix to bring forth the headache of getting everyone on board with the project (Stuff like SE music copyright issues). So, yeah, permission/legal stuff obviously requires scrutiny. And finally change of plans like whatever was going on with Joker and Jane.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That’s really unfortunate because I was one of the few people that loved SSE. Sure, it had its flaws but I had a blast playing it on co-op with my brother. We’re not very competitive so it’s too bad there’s not really much to do in Ultimate cooperatively.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't think it was the hate, but more how demanding SSE was on the development team. The mode took over half of Brawl's data and did eat up a large chunk of their time and resources compared to other modes, so they probably felt it wasn't a feature they could keep doing as it would require too much work from them to be feasible. It's especially the case when you consider Smash for was split between two systems and Ultimate brought every single character and almost every stage so they had to cut corners even more.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still more confident that that FP11's not just a promotional pick at this point. Maybe not a jaw dropping reveal like Steve or Sephiroth, but a character that fans would be willing to accept with some positivity and probably one with some unique gameplay aspects that set the character apart. There was a great deal of emphasis on FP11 when the second pass was fully revealed.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone knows of the top of their heads, but what are the series in Smash that did not receive any unique music remixes for Ultimate? Only three I can think of are

Punch Out
Sonic
Wario Ware
Kid Icarus

Any others?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Not sure if anyone knows of the top of their heads, but what are the series in Smash that did not receive any unique music remixes for Ultimate? Only three I can think of are

Punch Out
Sonic
Wario Ware

Any others?
Quite a few (and not counting Ice Climber or R.O.B.)
Mario Kart
Star Fox
Game & Watch
Kid Icarus (which lost music if counting the two Smash Run songs)
Pac-Man if not counting the Namco remixes
Bayonetta
Dragon Quest though that was introduced in Ultimate.
Also Final Fantasy and Xenoblade prior to their DLC characters.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Punch Out
Sonic
Wario Ware
Kid Icarus

Any others?
Mario Kart
Star Fox
Game & Watch
Bayonetta
Man, a lot of these series were robbed.

So here's a music thing I did for no reason

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think it was the hate, but more how demanding SSE was on the development team. The mode took over half of Brawl's data and did eat up a large chunk of their time and resources compared to other modes, so they probably felt it wasn't a feature they could keep doing as it would require too much work from them to be feasible. It's especially the case when you consider Smash for was split between two systems and Ultimate brought every single character and almost every stage so they had to cut corners even more.
Originally the mode was supposed to have been outsourced, but they couldn't find anyone suitable. Now they probably wouldn't do it 'cuz leaks.

Also, when asked as to why there was no Adventure Mode in the previous game, Sakurai basically said that he thought that the cutscenes being put online lessened the experience of them so he decided to use the funds on character trailers instead.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I personally think the last character might be someone wearing face covering or a hat.

my reason for believing this is because when we got the hat tournament after sephiroths reveal they left out certain headwear users that should’ve been there. Noticeable ones such as

peach, daisy, dark samus, k rool etc whereas each other tournament (correct me if I’m wrong) has used every character that’s been related to the tournaments that have happened

assuming pyra and myphra’s head thing doesn’t count as headwear due to it just being extremely tiny and not shaped like a crown or headwear then I wonder if the last character has some sort of headgear/headwear

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I personally think the last character might be someone wearing face covering or a hat.

my reason for believing this is because when we got the hat tournament after sephiroths reveal they left out certain headwear users that should’ve been there. Noticeable ones such as

peach, daisy, dark samus, k rool etc whereas each other tournament (correct me if I’m wrong) has used every character that’s been related to the tournaments that have happened

assuming pyra and myphra’s head thing doesn’t count as headwear due to it just being extremely tiny and not shaped like a crown or headwear then I wonder if the last character has some sort of headgear/headwear
There's a hat tourney?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Mario Kart
Star Fox
Game & Watch
Bayonetta
So using this as a guide, it would be neat if we got as a bonus a boss rush pass that includes both a boss rush mode as well as extra bosses packages with a music remix that would help flesh out the music for the series. So:

Punch Out - Mr. Sandman
Sonic - Dr. Eggman
Wario Ware - ?
Kid Icarus - Giant Medusa
Star Fox - Monkey Andross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom