• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I find it quite odd to call a months-long period in which we knew 100% who the next character was "a bad speculation period". Speculating is, literally, guessing or predicting a future outcome, and we did. Might have been unfun for you and bad in terms of supporting other characters, but in terms of speculation it's a high point for us.
Which isn't the point I'm making. I'm talking about the very poor attitude displayed during the speculation. Guessing right is good and all. But if you need to shut down all other possibilities, it's a poor discussion to be had. Made actually worse when the consensus was not actually proper anyway. But it wouldn't have mattered. Keep in mind it wasn't shut down by using actual facts, it was shut down because they couldn't even be open to the thought of another possibility. We didn't have any real facts to go off of. Leaks we can't be sure are real and one codename that was open to interpretation. Joker's codename alone has three possibilities to why it fit, which really should've been a good reason to be open-minded, but still have a strong idea of what it could be.

I can't see anything legitimately good about one-sided discussion. These aren't blogs or articles. These are discussions where everybody can put their viewpoint. As long as they're civil(and obviously not against the rules), that should be respected. It was not a respectful period whatsoever. Hell, I got it right after a while(Luminary as the Face, Erdrick possibly as a costume, maybe more), but that's after people stopped trying to hammer other thoughts down and people were allowed to speak freely, and it wasn't based upon the whole Brave = Yuusha thing. It was a guess that they weren't going to use Erdrick as the face since he's not worldwide recognizable, and that I was sure it wasn't a single Hero at that point either thanks to Tansut. Not many came to the conclusion of "a Class" either, because the discussion was laser-focused on Erdrick too hard. That wasn't good for speculation either. There should've been more open thought, which would've also led to a far more accurate consensus.

I'm not sure why one-sided discussion would be healthy anyway. The whole point of a discussion is for multiple people to discuss what they like and dislike, while being reasonable about it. I can't call that period reasonable without lying.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But if you need to shut down all other possibilities, it's a poor discussion to be had.
You seem to be confusing discussion with speculation. Sometimes the truth is clear-cut and there's nothing to be discussed. Frankly in today's climate I find it much worse that people want to debate everything, even facts.
Keep in mind it wasn't shut down by using actual facts
It was though? We had a datamine showing a codename that heavily pointed to a franchise and a proven leaker saying the next character was from one franchise. Those are facts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You seem to be confusing discussion with speculation. Sometimes the truth is clear-cut and there's nothing to be discussed. Frankly in today's climate I find it much worse that people want to debate everything, even facts.
No, I am treating this thread as what it is, a Discussion and Speculation thread. Discussion was always part of it. Where did you get the idea it wasn't? It's in the title. You're confusing what this thread is for, cause it's not just about being right. That's just not the case.

It was though? We had a datamine showing a codename that heavily pointed to a franchise and a proven leaker saying the next character was from one franchise. Those are facts.
...No it isn't. The datamine is a generic term nobody could instantly know what it was(it's good many guessed mostly right, though). A proven leaker is not a fact giver. They're a person who is given good information usually and we chose to believe based upon a good track record. One who recently got something wrong too, meaning like all leakers, they aren't reliable people. We never had the actual facts at this point. We had no video evidence(that's a fact). We didn't have the actual symbol or music(both facts). What we had were two things that were unreliable in their own way. Again, we guessed correctly. Based upon very loose stuff. And that's fine too. We happened to get it(mostly) right.

But there was no reason to make it very unfun for others to speculate other possibilities. And that's not the joke suggestions like that they must be a protagonist. That was never meant to be taken seriously. I didn't take Banjo seriously either. That was an actual stretch. Yuusha and any video game character with an important trait of Bravery were actual serious ideas that fit as is. Unfortunately only one was properly discussed. Don't get me wrong, I love that Hero's in and all, but I can't dare to call it a fun period. The fact people are still being mocked for having open thoughts in this thread about it only proves my point. That's not the right answer. Maybe other ideas should've been respected and left it at that. There's a difference between criticism and shutting down thoughts. I've noticed a serious lack of the former and way more of the latter. It's an open discussion thread and one for speculation. Both count.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Well, to keep speculation here interesting, let’s go over who reps would be from franchises that are a bit more indecisive as to who their playable characters would be

We can start with Resident Evil (most profitable game series that should be in Smash not in Smash), the second Sonic rep (highly debated topic at this point) and Danganronpa (because it’s an interesting one)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No, I am treating this thread as what it is, a Discussion and Speculation thread. Discussion was always part of it. Where did you get the idea it wasn't? It's in the title. You're confusing what this thread is for, cause it's not just about being right. That's just not the case.
If you want to get technical, it's the Speculation Discussion thread, meaning discussion related to speculation. If there's nothing to speculate then there's nothing to discuss.

If that seems like a moronic point to make then maybe don't argue semantics.
A proven leaker is not a fact giver
That's just not true lol. A person is a leaker because they leak facts. Nobody becomes a reliable leaker by leaking opinions or falsehoods.
The datamine is a generic term nobody could instantly know what it
Demonstrably false.
Don't get me wrong, I love that Hero's in and all, but I can't dare to call it a fun period.
You seem to be under the impression that I was calling it a fun period. I didn't and it hardly matters to me whether it was because that's up to each individual. But it was undoubtedly a good moment for speculation because we speculated and speculated well. And it had all the positive effects of good predictions, like allowing us to speculate further taking FP2 into account, and giving people time to familiarize themselves with Dragon Quest.
But there was no reason to make it very unfun for others to speculate other possibilities.
Unfortunately it's not other people's obligation to humor speculation if they had a good reason to ignore it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, to keep speculation here interesting, let’s go over who reps would be from franchises that are a bit more indecisive as to who their playable characters would be

We can start with Resident Evil (most profitable game series that should be in Smash not in Smash), the second Sonic rep (highly debated topic at this point) and Danganronpa (because it’s an interesting one)
I find it funny that the solution to make this more interesting is talking about 2 topics that have been heavily discussed throughout speculation but ignoring that, I remember the majority of people discussing RE before the spirit event because again, it got a hell of a lot of discussion prior to that, was that alts would be a good solution to add Chris, Jill and Leon all on one as it's easy to imagine them all using similar enough tools. As for the 4th slot, that never got discussed much so maybe Claire?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I find it funny that the solution to make this more interesting is talking about 2 topics that have been heavily discussed throughout speculation but ignoring that, I remember the majority of people discussing RE before the spirit event because again, it got a hell of a lot of discussion prior to that, was that alts would be a good solution to add Chris, Jill and Leon all on one as it's easy to imagine them all using similar enough tools. As for the 4th slot, that never got discussed much so maybe Claire?
I don’t keep up much with RE, is Ethan currently faceless?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Well, for Resident Evil I've said this like 20 times, but it's pretty much either Chris, Leon or Jill.

I don't think the likes of Nemesis or Mr. X would be even considered, as iconic as they are. Mainly because they're not the protagonists and well, in some cases they could be problematic for CERO unless they get a redesign. At best I can see Wesker but I'd still bet money on the actual playable characters to be honest.

I'd say Leon has a slightly advantage due to being the most popular protagonist, and his main role in classics such as RE2 and 4 which are often considered the best entries also helps.

After him I'd say it's Jill, also very popular and main character of RE1 and 3 which are incredibly iconic.

Then Chris, which is also a popular character and has been around since the first game, like Jill. He is probably not as popular as the other 2 but he has a great advantage: he seems to be the favorite of Capcom, because he has the most appearances in the series, or at least the important games, by far.

So as I always say, it depends on Sakurai being okay with any Resident Evil and then approach Capcom, a scenario that would probably lead to Chris IMO, or Sakurai setting on the most popular characters within RE's fanbase.

I'd personally be happy with any of these options though if I could pick I'd choose Leon.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

You mean who would they choose from there?
If that's the case:
Resident Evil: Leon I guess, but honestly I can see them picking Wesker or Jill a la Kazuya
Sonic: Tails if AT fanrule is correct, otherwise Shadow cuz Sakurai loves edgy characters
Danganronpa: Junko & Monokuma seems reasonable

SNEKeater

Smash Master
No, he has one. In-game it's not used, but in the couple last cutscenes with him, he does have a face. Even if for some reason, they don't show it.
Yeah. But even if his face was actually shown in cutscenes I strongly doubt he would be our RE fighter.

As for Chris/Jill/Leon/Claire in a Hero situation... I guess it's not impossible but I don't know, I just don't see it to be honest. Not the biggest expert on the subject, but I'd say their body differences could be a problem. Chris wouldn't be as buffed as he was in RE5, but I'd imagine he would be still quite buff in Smash. He always had a bigger body constitution compared to Leon, so obviously the difference between him and Jill/Claire would be even bigger.

The thing is, all of them have different personalities. The heroes are basically avatars so them sharing same animations, taunts and victory screens was understandable. The RE characters would definitely need unique taunts and victory poses for each one. Not impossible, I know, but I don't see it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Chris wouldn't be as buffed as he was in RE5, but I'd imagine he would be still quite buff in Smash. He always had a bigger body constitution compared to Leon, so obviously the difference between him and Jill/Claire would be even bigger.
I think he was about the same size as everyone else originally, but Capcom seems to have settled on making him an absolute unit when it comes to his design.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
They could’ve gone for good ol Leon with RE
Jill if they wanted a female character (we sincerely
lack female third parties anyway)

who knows…

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think he was about the same size as everyone else originally, but Capcom seems to have settled on making him an absolute unit when it comes to his design.
Japan memed that so much it became their version of the boulder punch meme, literally, RE8 has a joke about Chris punching boulders and the JP dub calls him a gorilla instead lime what JP fans called him since 5

Ivander

Smash Legend
Japan memed that so much it became their version of the boulder punch meme, literally, RE8 has a joke about Chris punching boulders and the JP dub calls him a gorilla instead lime what JP fans called him since 5
I mean, the gorilla meme is a very common meme in Japan in general. Like it doesn't just apply to Chris, it often used for quite a whole bunch of muscled or brute strength characters. Like with Fate/Grand Order, 3 Buster cards and a Buster NP in a character's card "deck" is often referred to as the "Gorilla deck". While any character with 3 Buster cards and a Buster NP can be called a "gorilla", the character who people often refer to alot as "gorilla" is Gawain.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, the gorilla meme is a very common meme in Japan. Like it doesn't just apply to Chris, it often refers to quite a whole bunch of muscled or brute strength characters. Like with Fate/Grand Order, 3 Buster cards and a Buster NP in a character's card "deck" is often referred to as the "Gorilla deck". While any character with 3 Buster cards and a Buster NP can be called a "gorilla", the character who people often refer to alot as "gorilla" is Gawain.
I'm aware and surprised you didn't bring up Smash 4 Ike but it's still a common joke among Japan's RE fans that got referenced
Had a weird dream last night where Sakurai broke his own rule about not adding non-video game characters.

It was Wolverine. He said it was only the beggining of that tendence.

Never gonna happen, but it was pretty hype though.

View attachment 321610
Hell yeah, the Power Rangers theme gets in Smash. Funny enough the X-Men are referenced in Smash through Ryu's Palutena Guidance

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'll take Chris so long as anytime he gets buffed in Ultimate, the team actually makes his model buffer. And everytime he's nerfed, his muscles shrink.

...inb4 he's the new Bayonetta and his model's biceps is bigger than Bowser's or DK's. :4pacman:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Make two types of RE fighters: one of males and the other of females:

Males: Chris (RE1, 5 and 7/8 outfit), Leon (RE2 , 4 and 6), Carlos Olivera (RE3) and Steve Burnside (Code Veronica)
Females: Jill (RE1, 3 and 5), Claire (RE2 and CV), Rebbeca (RE0) and Sheva (RE5)

Difference between male and female versions are justs stats and that stuff (example: females are faster than males)

here is a new RE in development, temporal exclusive for switch, that is probably to be released by end march 2022. Would be great if that protagonist gets into smash (or if its a previous re protagonist, they use their design as an alt).

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Had a weird dream last night where Sakurai broke his own rule about not adding non-video game characters.

It was Wolverine. He said it was only the beggining of that tendence.

Never gonna happen, but it was pretty hype though.

View attachment 321610
I kinda had a dream liek that (more like a nightmare actually) when it was revealed that Tingle was the DLC character. To add insult to injury, the trailer featured Hyrule Warriors Impa and the four Heroes from BotW fighting for the invitation until Tingle snags the invitation and flies away in a balloon. I still cant believe my dream.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Chris was in Smash I wouldn't accept a Final Smash that isn't Chris punching the RE5 boulder so hard that it goes flying and obliterates the enemy.

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys did you hear there's a new Smash game? I hear it's a Smash 4 port with more characters
Really hope there's a port of Smash Ultimate soon with a ton of old single player modes and more characters like Dixie, Bandanna Waddle Dee, And A Zelda Rep like the Champions or Vaati.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Chris was in Smash I wouldn't accept a Final Smash that isn't Chris punching the RE5 boulder so hard that it goes flying and obliterates the enemy.

I can see his reveal trailer now. It'll take place at the same volcano as the Kazuya trailer.

Rock Mario is rolling along the hill, when all of a sudden a first comes out of nowhere and punches him straight through the volcano....

Rockmario - Mario Galaxy 2 Power Ups | Full Size PNG Download | SeekPNG

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Back on the topic of deluxe Miis, I'd say Kris from Deltarune for Swordfighter is my most wanted. A new remix of The World Revolving wouldn't be necessary, but would be a nice cherry on top.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ideally I think an Resident Evil character should be a Hero type of deal, with Chris as the default but Jill, Leon, and Claire as alt skins.

If you base the moveset around classic RE stuff instead of the more actiony stuff of modern RE, I think it could work.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
The year is-wait a second it's just the same year, uhhh... let me rephrase that.
The month is August.
The International 10 is well underway in Stockholm
-wait a second Sweden told Valve to get lost, uhhh...
The International 10 is well underway.
Valve as well as the on-site staff and community personalities is confused and wondering why Twitch chat is overwhelmed with demands for Smash news,
Hahah, well played fictitious Sakurai!

Would be funny to list out every non-Nintendo gaming event this year though and just guess who would be the reveal for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom