• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Side note why’s the Ashley thread more active than usual today…?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't really see how Sonic fit second chance theory honestly. He's already the only third party with Final fantasy 7 with 2 stages, the only one with 2 assist trophy alongside Mega man, and he's one of the third party with the most music (having more than Pac-man, Bayonetta and Metal gear). On the spirits side he's also on the average with 23 spirits (to compare it Metal gear have 26, Street fighter have 27, Final fantasy have 16 with the dlc, Bayonetta have 19 and Castlevania have 29. The only big exception is Mega man with 57 spirits).

I know that the Sonic representation isn't perfect by any mean, but there's no really big evidence that something was cut or planned for the franchise either in the game or in Smash 4.
If we talking official evidence, you are correct in that statement. ARMS, Minecraft, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Tekken had official statements to back up them fitting the theory

Sephiroth though is technically Speculative on whether he fits the theory or not. Yes FF7 barely had any content before Sephiroth, but there still wasn't an official statement that concludes Sephiroth was planned for This Game or Smash 4, but just in his case the Speculative evidence is really compelling

I do Admit that the Speculative evidence for Another Sonic character is not comparable to the speculative evidence for FF7, but it's possibly there, It's just a different situation and variables

-Unlike the 5 other Franchises in FP2, Sonic has had decent content represented for awhile coming into Ultimate. The Other Sonic characters have been there as Trophies and/or Spirits since Brawl, there's been adequate number of Tracks, and Shadow has been an Assist Trophy, among other things

So you can't just scale back the content for no reason going into Ultimate. Ultimate base game was made with no DLC in mind intially (It was only factored into Development sometime after January of 2018 according to Sakurai). So Imagine if DLC was not a factor because maybe Nintendo felt it was bad idea for some reason, but Sakurai and the Team decided to remove alot of Sonic content to save for DLC...that never come

And Considering the fact that 3rd Party content especially has to be negotiated early on before Development starts (as you don't want plans to fall through in development for whatever reason), the Sonic content largely had to be set in stone around 2015, which is long time from when DLC was being factored into Development.

FF7 as an example had no anticipation of content having to comeback except for the music tracks, stage, and Cloud himself of course, So the Lack of Spirits and Sephiroth is just par for the course.

-Sonic did get increased content in the game, Chaos 0, Infinite, and Sonic the Werehog have presence in the game (though the Deadly Six and Egg Robo were actually taken out), he got 3 new Music tracks from Mania and Forces (since those games were most recent Sonic game, and Knuckles was added as an Assist Trophy.

I will say that in the context of Base Game decision and also the difference between FP1 and FP2, the added content doesn't automatically mean another Sonic character wasn't considered. Sega seems to like having content from most recent games represented (which were Mania and Forces), and we know that FP1 and FP2 wasn't sure thing

In the case of FP2, since the Mania and Forces content were likely added later on, we see that FP2, as much as people like to say that FP2 was always planned around the same time as FP1, wasn't actually the case. The fact that ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got content in the base game like Spirits, Mii Costumes, and even Music tracks (in XBC2 case) showcases how FP2 wasn't always a greenlit idea.

-The best speculation point towards the idea of Another Sonic character once being considered is the fact that other 3rd parties Franchises are getting extra characters

Ultimate is the game that explores the horizon of additional reps for 3rd party Series, as Richter, Ken, and Sephiroth were all added in this game. This also something that was decided to be a thing near the end of Smash 4 lifespan, as the Project Plan for Ultimate completed in the same month as the Final Smash Broadcast for Smash 4, and Ken was the only source of Street Fighter content besides Ryu and the stage, implying that the decision to add Ken to the roster in the future was already in plan

If we're just looking at the merits of another Sonic Character, I can't see how they at least weren't a Consideration. Sonic's Cast of Characters are among the most recognizable in gaming, they are popular, Requested among Smash Fans, and have their own unique abilities of some kind.

This isn't me saying that the other Franchises should have waited for Sonic to get a 2nd character, and I'm not saying that it's a guaranteed that Sonic will get another character, but considering that Sega has been the 3rd party that's been with Smash the longest, and how Sega loves using the Sonic brand in Crossovers and etc, I find it hard to believe the idea of Another Sonic character did not come up, or wasn't seriously considered, Since we saw 3 3rd party franchises already be considered, and actually have addtional characters get in

Of course this is just Speculative, since you could argue alot of characters could fit the theory. Sonic would fall under the Speculative category of the theory, along with characters like Rayman, Shantae, Chun-Li, and Monster Hunter, and I don't think Sonic has the most ground-breaking of Speculative evidence in it's favor, but I think it could fall under Second Chance theory

Dinoman96

Smash Master
:ultbanjokazooie::
”Wowah, who’s the happy couple?”
”Oh, of course you’ve never heard of them…I suppose you were barely a kid when they entered the scene.”
That's terribly ironic considering Kid Icarus has existed way longer than Banjo-Kazooie

Though I'd imagine Pit wouldn't be familar with them anyways considering his series was stuck in the void since 1991 and by the time Uprising came out, Banjo and Rare in general were lost to Microsoft.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Um guys
My uncle's pet aardvark sent me this

Ok but for real if I see this pop up again at this point in Ultimate's history, I'm going to lose it.
I've done this bit before but...At the end of the last Sakurai Presents I want him to go:

"And so, we've reached the end of Smash Bros. Ultimate. Finally...I can rest."

closes his eyes

30 seconds goes by

opens his eyes

"We're doing Fighter Pass 3."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, I've currently set my focus on waiting for Kazuya to get into the game. Then I'll worry about the next fighter.
Indeed. I want to see who Kazuya's Miis massacre before I start thinking about who's last.

Big Boss (the one in the video clip) is the original, while Solid Snake (the one in Smash) is a clone of him.
Smash Snake is kind of a little bit of both. That's why he's called Snake instead of Solid Snake. Cause he could also be repping Naked Snake(aka Big Boss).

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Given that most people said Crash was big enough for E3 based on the size of his series alone and Tekken has sold more than Crash Bandicoot, I would say yes.
Not to mention that [I assume] Tekken is popular in both Japan and the West.

Dukefire

Smash Master
No matter when the last reveal will be announced, everyone has eyes on that last slot.
Screenshot_20210201-095847_YouTube.jpg

Some wants the ride to end while others doesn't as to hold out for their most wanted. To me, just wait it out patiently so the results won't come slapping hard.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
AYO ******* GUESS WHAT
Months ago I dreamed we had a direct and it had Kiryu as the next fighter and an Advance Wars revival, and since I dreamed Ken was in before he got in, clearly we're getting Kiryu and Advance Wars tomorrow
this is from the eve of the february direct. Now, riddle me this: what was one of the announcements in this E3 Direct?

THAT'S RIGHT

ADVANCE WARS

NO I DON'T CARE THAT I GOT THE DIRECT IN QUESTION WRONG

I CALLED IT

I AM A PROPHET

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, RIGHT

YA SAW IT RIGHT THERE, THAT'S RIGHT, CHALLENGER PACK 11 IS KAZUMA MOTHER****ING KIRYU. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
No matter when the last reveal will be announced, everyone has eyes on that last slot.
View attachment 320468

Some wants the ride to end while others doesn't as to hold out for their most wanted. To me, just wait it out patiently so the results won't come slapping hard.
Yeah, I'm part of the former group that wants the ride to end, even if it means I don't get anymore of my most wanted chars.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
View attachment 320468

Speaking of the last slot, what if I told ya’ll there was a series that has sold more than Monster Hunter, is getting a new game this year with exclusive Switch content, has fantastic moveset potential while also providing unique aspects to the idea of a fighter, all the while most don’t talk about it?

That’s right, the last fighter will be a Worms character

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Found another vid on Kazuya:

Yeah, I am starting to get bored and impatient here, but at least this vid can be used for debates.
Some pretty big factual inaccuracies in the video even if the overall point is correct.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
True. They might still have dropped her for a few other kinda dumb reasons though:

1. MvCI's (attempt at a) photo-realistic artstyle would mean that Amaterasu's oil painting look wouldn't fly, and they'd have to overhaul her model with realistic fur textures, which would be pretty difficult.
    • Considering that they very obviously did not mess with the previous game's models much, I don't think they would have done that.
  2. She can't talk, so she wouldn't really be able to have much interaction with the other characters in the story mode besides reacting to dialogue.
    • Honestly though, that would probably make her the best written character in the entire story. lol
    • However, they would probably also try and throw Issun into conversations, which would be particularly cursed.
Voice-acted Issun... It's such a simple thing, but it's frankly the most cursed thing they possibly could've done.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, name 6 characters you'd be okay with if they turned out to be FP11. For me, Shantae, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Ayumi Tachibana, Master Chief, and Amaterasu would be some solid picks in my eyes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

SNEKeater

Smash Master
AYO ******* GUESS WHAT

this is from the eve of the february direct. Now, riddle me this: what was one of the announcements in this E3 Direct?

THAT'S RIGHT

ADVANCE WARS

NO I DON'T CARE THAT I GOT THE DIRECT IN QUESTION WRONG

I CALLED IT

I AM A PROPHET

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, RIGHT

YA SAW IT RIGHT THERE, THAT'S RIGHT, CHALLENGER PACK 11 IS KAZUMA MOTHER****ING KIRYU. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS
YES.

His reveal trailer is going to be kind of a follow-up to Kazuya's, who will be beating up half of the roster only for Kiryu to arrive and say:

After dodging Kazuya for a while with Rush Style, he will proceed to annihilate him with literally one punch:

Then other characters will attack him with all they have, only to barely touch him. They even go with cheap tactics to take Kiryu down, with Snake firing rocket launchers against him. But Kiryu is too cool to fall for that:

At that point he decides he's tired of this **** and proceeds to KO (and not kill!) everyone with some of his Heat Actions, including:

And finally, to celebrate his victory and his Smash debut, he goes to the disco to have fun with Majima. Mandatory victory screen:

Now I want this to happen. If he isn't CP11 I'll blame you :sadeyes:

Technomage

Smash Champion
So this.... exists.

Full video here.

I saw the vid; it was great.

Okay, name 6 characters you'd be okay with if they turned out to be FP11. For me, Shantae, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Ayumi Tachibana, Master Chief, and Amaterasu would be some solid picks in my eyes.
Hmmm, I think I could come up with more than six. Let's see...

Waluigi, King Boo, Dixie Kong, Wild Zelda, Mummy Ganondorf, Bandana Waddle Dee, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomslayer, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Shantae, Dante, Freddy Fazbear, Porky Minch, Chun-Li, Morrigan Aensland, Dr. Eggman, Octoling, etc.

I think it'd be more of a challenge to list six characters I don't want as CP11.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Voice-acted Issun... It's such a simple thing, but it's frankly the most cursed thing they possibly could've done.
Well Issun was technically already voice acted with Okami's gibberish sounds that accompany its text, and I'm sure they'd be able to make it sound OK so long as they could establish that he isn't a bug or a light. I'm more worried about his uh...lustful tendencies. The writing was already bad enough, it does not need a teeny tiny man simping over Chun-Li, Captain Marvel, Morrigan, and Gamora.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok with?

To me, that wording means 6 fighters I wasn’t asking for, but would be fine with anyway.

1) Shadow or Tails (I would like Dr. Robotnik but would be fine if either of these two got in instead)

2) King Bomb Omb (would prefer Kamek or King Boo, but he would probably be creative so it’s fine)

3) BotW Zelda (so many better choices than yet another version of a Zelda character we already have but I’d take it)

4) A Tales of…. character

5) Phoenix Wright

6) A Pokémon other than Toxicitry

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
tough one, but if I had to choose:

1: Dante
2: Giovanni
3: Shantae
4: Master Chief
5: Dr. Eggman
6: Ratchet and Clank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom