• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This pass has honestly been Curveball after curveball, and I am all for it. Every single character so far has been someone that flew straight under the radar. I wonder how CP11 will surprise us next.

Also, can we please not make the Toxicity discussion toxic? That is a new layer of irony I don’t think we’ll ever be able to surpass.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nintendo made the conscious decision not to end with another "Byleth" so to speak
Not quite sure about that. Was it really that easy to switch the order of characters around, considering their choices were all locked in before Byleth's reveal? And besides, the fact that they still did Byleth even after Corrin's controversy should show how little they care about the fanbase whining that we didn't get an all third-party pass.

Shroob

Sup?
I think you are assuming all speculation happens in this thread, when in fact this thread is dead in comparison to what happens on Reddit, Twitter and Discord.

Do yourself a non-favor and go view Smash speculation on YouTube or Twitter for a smidge...you know, where they are actively posting media where they proudly hate on other people who love the same game as them because they want a character that they don't? Where people are confused on why they are vilified for simply loving a character and wanting them in the game? Where people remove themselves from speculation because people maul their thread with unjust insults?

Honestly, this thread is only mildly better, but I guess I can give some credit to the staff here for that. They occasionally make sure that people aren't harassed for the character they like and think could be in.

Also you yourself have shown clear examples of this, and this statement is clearly trying to frame the situation as if you haven't been toxic, and isn't subtle about it at all. Like, how many times do people here have to complain about a user who has long-since moved on to greener pastures or use what they assume is a fake leak to insult the intelligence of those who are more open to possibilities than they are? Do you have to attack someone just because the believe in something you don't, or dare to consider it, even if not in any serious capacity? Do you have to keep assuming the stance and character of the other person and attacking that when the only argument you can give is a rehash of the same one given six month ago, some of which already being rendered incorrect or false?

Maybe instead of acting as if there is less toxicity here, you should instead realize that your own actions are toxic and stop trying to put yourself above it. Maybe then you can improve yourself in that regard and be better able to identify toxicity and help put a stop to it. I'm doing it in my own way, which is trying to be less aggressive to how close-minded and oppressive the community tends to be and, rather than getting irritated about it, going back to what I used to do which is giving them openings to be more open-minded and trying to help them be less forceful with their beliefs on others.

It didn't work last time, thus the blatant irritation I sometimes show, but I'm willing to try it again if it makes people more open to reading my posts and discussing the content of them, which will hopefully lead to healthier discussion and more variety.
So arguing against your points is considered toxic?

Sorry, but no, if you bring up flimsy arguments, I'm going to debate against them, there's absolutely nothing toxic about that.

The absolute most that I've done is be amazed and poke at how large your posts are, when you could easily summarize them in less words(I'm autistic, and reading that much is frankly overwhelming to my brain that it more or less shuts off mid wall).

But let's also not pretend you're not toxic either and you're above everyone else. I cannot begin to count how many times you've called people, ahem, "Stupid", "Idiotic", "Narrow-minded", and other such claims, and I'm not the only one who can back up that. I'm sure if I spent a good time rifling through your post history, I'd find cases of you belittling people in droves.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
This pass has honestly been Curveball after curveball, and I am all for it. Every single character so far has been someone that flew straight under the radar. I wonder how CP11 will surprise us next.

Also, can we please not make the Toxicity discussion toxic? That is a new layer of irony I don’t think we’ll ever be able to surpass.
I’ve been loving the curve balls honestly. It’s really exciting even when it’s a character I don’t care for. I’m happy there is a little something for everyone in the pass.

also yes, being someone who was a toxic member in the past and was banned due to it, it’s best not to get that way and it’s healthier for you mentally and physically.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not quite sure about that. Was it really that easy to switch the order of characters around, considering their choices were all locked in before Byleth's reveal? And besides, the fact that they still did Byleth even after Corrin's controversy should show how little they care about the fanbase whining that we didn't get an all third-party pass.
Byleth was still added with the knowledge that more DLC was on the way (yes, it is almost certain there were at least a couple more characters in store) and seeing how three characters are apparently worked on simultaneously between separate teams the order is probably a bit more flexible than people would think.

Like, that isn't the stance I'm going to live and die on but for me it's pretty easy to accept as a possibility since there's no clear "promotional pick" at the moment.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Since theres a day and a week until Kazuya’s Presentation, do you guys expect anything big to happen? I think we’ll be in for a more lowkey presents, with the moveset and miis being the only big thing to watch. Although another Sepiroth style mode could be done for Kazuya.

I don’t expect anything big that affects speculation, since Miis only deconfirm characters.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In all seriousness, I agree with your post, lol
Though I do still think a LoL rep could still show up.
I wish, but at this point I'm not confident at all.

If I'm wrong about big franchises being out and it happened, though, that's a crow I'll gladly eat lol.

Wait hold up

The AC series sold better than the Sonic AND Zelda series...
The AC series also sold as many copies as the Mario Kart series..

:foe!:
You mean Animal Crossing or Assassin's Creed? :4pacman:

For how many times I got stumped by those initials, I wish someone had a crossover art of the two.

Well, along with Mario Kart x Mortal Kombat.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since theres a day and a week until Kazuya’s Presentation, do you guys expect anything big to happen? I think we’ll be in for a more lowkey presents, with the moveset and miis being the only big thing to watch. Although another Sepiroth style mode could be done for Kazuya.

I don’t expect anything big that affects speculation, since Miis only deconfirm characters.
just give me 2P WoL already

I still also want the possession/clone fighter effects for both alignments outside of WoL but I think that’ll come in the final presentation as the character shown off will hopefully have a Final Battle (vs both Galeem AND Dharkon) themed trailer

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
just give me 2P WoL already

I still also want the possession/clone fighter effects for both alignments outside of WoL but I think that’ll come in the final presentation as the character shown off will hopefully have a Final Battle (vs both Galeem AND Dharkon) themed trailer
Wait, WoL isn’t 2 Player? Thats insane. Its presumably such an easy feature to implement as well.

I’d like a puppet skin for the cast, although it’ll give the CSS a stroke trying to load them. A Galeem VS Dharkon fight being broken up by Dante or someone else would definitely be an amazing way to end Ultimate.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

One of the characters I'm currently looking at is Ayumi Tachibana as a potential darkhorse pick. She's popular with Japanese Nintendo fans, especially thanks to the Girl Who Stands Behind and her games are often in the top 10s for both Famicom and Super Famicom releases. I know some try to write her off because the two remakes were E-shop releases in the West, but in Japan, they were given a very royal treatment on top of special editions.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, WoL isn’t 2 Player? Thats insane. Its presumably such an easy feature to implement as well.

I’d like a puppet skin for the cast, although it’ll give the CSS a stroke trying to load them. A Galeem VS Dharkon fight being broken up by Dante or someone else would definitely be an amazing way to end Ultimate.
I kinda wanted that feature ever since Hero’s trailer lmao

and doing the converse of what it did too, maybe some peeps controlled by Dharkon in canon could have the Galeem effect instead if you so wished

Technomage

Smash Champion

Yeah, I think it'll just be another typical presents, though someone did suggest an early-unlock battle as a possibility; I even suggested a few fights against random characters with a Kazuya fight afterwards, combined as a challenge (themed after a Tekken tournament) to unlock Kaz earlier.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think what Sakurai said about doing Rex & Pyra together is a death sentence for Howard too. Sure he figured out how to nake a Tekken rep work but that never required having to handle 16 character models in 8-Player Smash.
Hopefully they’d be able to find a work around. Astral Chain is the coolest new IP Nintendo’s had in a while. I’d love to see it get a fighter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think it'll just be another typical presents, though someone did suggest an early-unlock battle as a possibility; I even suggested a few fights against random characters with a Kazuya fight afterwards, combined as a challenge (themed after a Tekken tournament) to unlock Kaz earlier.
Does Tekken have an unlock system like that though? I feel like they wouldn't do that if not.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Does Tekken have an unlock system like that though? I feel like they wouldn't do that if not.
I don't know about the other games having that, but I do know that the PSP version of Tekken 5 does NOT have that; hell, it doesn't even have unlockable characters at all (all characters are unlocked at the start).

Though, the main reason for that idea of mine is to emulate Arcade Mode, with Kaz as the final opponent of each characters' routes (though I don't know if Kaz was ever a final boss).

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I know it wouldn’t be an original idea
But what about a Kazuya version of the Sephiroth Challenge?
I guess that'd be okay (especially since we'd be able to get Kaz sooner), though I did come up with a more unique take on that (just look above your post on this page, and you'll find it).

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think of all 3rd party characters, the Fighting Game Characters have a great chance of returning.

Ryu and Ken are part of Capcom which is all in on Smash and have a great relationship with Nintendo.

Terry is dirt cheap and already a fan favorite.

Kazuya is part of Bamco which is probably gonna develop the next game, making him a shoe in.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I rewatched Kazuya's trailer and the movelist, and I'm wondering just how many inputs this guy's gonna have. Like a lot of people have theorized, he's probably gonna have an auto-turn and diagonal inputs, but even then that's not enough to fill out all 32~ moves.

A theory I just came up with one the spot is that perhaps he has backwards inputs for his normals, perhaps even diagonal backwards imputs too, for both smashes and tilts.

Then I remembered the Punch/Kick button theories, and I realized that's probably a lot less convoluted and easier to use. Still, that doesn't account for the Devil Kazuya form. Those seem to be specials rather than normals or an Install. That being said, if the Punches and Kicks take up the two standard buttons, how do you activate Devil Kazuya attacks?

Technomage

Smash Champion
So I rewatched Kazuya's trailer and the movelist, and I'm wondering just how many inputs this guy's gonna have. Like a lot of people have theorized, he's probably gonna have an auto-turn and diagonal inputs, but even then that's not enough to fill out all 32~ moves.

A theory I just came up with one the spot is that perhaps he has backwards inputs for his normals, perhaps even diagonal backwards imputs too, for both smashes and tilts.

Then I remembered the Punch/Kick button theories, and I realized that's probably a lot less convoluted and easier to use. Still, that doesn't account for the Devil Kazuya form. Those seem to be specials rather than normals or an Install. That being said, if the Punches and Kicks take up the two standard buttons, how do you activate Devil Kazuya attacks?
I assumed that Devil Kaz attacks temporarily replace Normal Kaz attacks.

At this point the highest selling Japanese franchise not in Smash is Resident Evil. We got 4 spirits but given Capcom has yet to get a character in either pass is rather odd.
I did make a suggestion of having Claire Redfield as a RE rep for the roster (especially since most of the other better choices did not seem viable in my eyes, due to various circumstances), but someone else said that wouldn't seem likely due to Claire not being as popular, well-known, or important as other choices. On the other hand, at least she'd be a great subversion.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

My guess is that it’ll be a Terry style mechanic that uses multiple direction inputs.

Potentially he’ll even have Ryu and Ken style inputs that changes the move he uses depending on how far you are from the opponent.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think a big question is what exactly will Nintendo have to show us in 3 month's time?

BotW2 seems.... unlikely tbh. We barely got anything at E3 besides, admittedly, a very nice trailer, but that still gave us more questions than answers. It feels way too early for actual in-depth gameplay that we can sink our teeth into if they're "aiming" for a 2022 release date.

Splatoon 3 is possible, in fact I almost expect it, but I wonder just when in 2022 it'll launch.

Assuming we don't get the last fighter beforehand, Smash is obvious.

After that...... No idea. I could see the Fall Direct being a bit anemic on content with Smash and maybe Splatoon 3 being the big sellers.
Maybe it’ll largely be focused on the Switch Pro? If so then third party game ports could end up making the bulk of the Direct. There’s also the rumors of MS & Nintendo announcing something this fall; probably GamePass on Switch Pro.

Then there’s more news on Metroid: Dread, the rumored DK game & rumored ports of Wind Waker/Twilight Princess.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If we do get an RE Rep, who do you think/want them to be and how do you think they’ll play?

I’ll always champion Nemesis as my RE rep. Give him tons of Super armor, a Flamethrower, Rocket Launcher, and a tentacle command grab. Ridley might have some serious competition of who I main then.

Technomage

Smash Champion
If we do get an RE Rep, who do you think/want them to be and how do you think they’ll play?

I’ll always champion Nemesis as my RE rep. Give him tons of Super armor, a Flamethrower, Rocket Launcher, and a tentacle command grab. Ridley might have some serious competition of who I main then.
Either Jill or Nemesis.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Fair enough, but still, I don't think we are getting two half demons back to back.
Many of the stuff Dante could bring has been done by a DLC character already
-Kazuya has combos and devil form
-Sephiroth overlaps with his visual design
-Both Min Min and Byleth can switch weapons
-Joker has guns
There's also the fact that we would most likely get another franchise from Capcom, given that DMC isn't as big as RE of MH, for instance.
I mean... Most of those points seem kinda flimsy IMO, no offense.

- "Kazuya has combos" Terry also had combos and Kazuya still made it in.

- "Sephiroth overlaps with his visual design"... Not really? Maybe it's just me but they do not look similar at all. The only thing they share is the white hair.

- "Both Min Min and Byleth switch weapons" Min Min still got in despite Byleth having different weapons. In any case, Byleth doesn't really switch weapons in a literal sense. He/she uses a different one depending on the direction of tour attack. Min Min is the one that actually can switch weapons.

- "Joker has guns" Yeah, but if that is a point against Dante then that should be a death sentence for the likes of Doomguy, Master Chief or a Resident Evil rep, and all of those would use guns in their moveset a lot more than Dante.

As for DMC not being as huge as RE or MH, that's true. But at the same time that point can be applied the other way around. Both Mega Man and Street Fighter got in before Resident Evil, despite being smaller series in terms of sales and popularity worldwide.
That happened twice with Capcom so I don't think it's that far fetched to imagine a third time.

I get your reasoning but my problem is that most of these points seem weak to me, and in any case, not exclusive to Dante at all. If anything I think he is in a better spot than some other characters even if what you said is true, because Dante's arsenal and abilities is almost endless and it would be hard to tell how they would approach him. They could go full with his style switching, or maybe focus on him having ton of weapons. He has Devil Trigger which could be added as a meter, or if Sakurai feels creative he could even implement a Style meter that goes up according if Dante does different combos or doesn't get hurt for a while, like in his games.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I still wonder if Chris/Jill/Leon/Claire could work as alts of each other like Hero. I mean most of their attacks in Resident Evil games are interchangeable since they all use the same guns, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and knives in each game. And seeing Jill or Claire due a round house like Leon wouldn't be that odd either.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I still wonder if Chris/Jill/Leon/Claire could work as alts of each other like Hero. I mean most of their attacks in Resident Evil games are interchangeable since they all use the same guns, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and knives in each game. And seeing Jill or Claire due a round house like Leon wouldn't be that odd either.
I don't think so; even if their skeletons are similar enough, their personalities are too different. Hero's alts work because Luminary, Erdrick, Solo, and Eight have similar personalities (or similar lack of personalities).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I very much like the idea of a defensive character with powerful but limited tools for Resi, easiest example is giving Jill the magnum and make it do like 25% damage and come out real fast, but she has a lot of endlag so missing is dangerous and you only have a certain amount of shots per stock.
Hey, a roundhouse wouldn't be weirder than this

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
This year E3 direct had the same format as the february direct and not the same as 2019 direct (it didn’t featured Doug Bowser). I don’t think Nintendo considered E3 as the big gaming event where they needed to showed all their guns.

I suspect that september direct will be very big, supposedly the “pro” revision will be announced by end july so by september, they can show “Pro” versions of games featured there. They are aiming to have a big 2022 so I imagine that direct will feature some games that will be released on the first half of 2022 (mayority between january to march). Possible candidates: Legends Arceus, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem 4 Remake, next Monolith Soft game (Xenoblade 3?), Donkey Kong, Resident Evil Outrage, etc. Though, we will not see another BOTW2 trailer, they will saved it for TGA.

By rumours, the next switch revision will be released by end september/early october and a good direct 2/3 weeks before “pro” launch featuring a good showcase of games is reasonable.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Definitely Jill, preferably with a moveset based primarily on her PS1 glory days.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Speaking of Jill in Smash, should her tube-top and miniskirt outfit be one of her alts., or would that be for bad boys and girls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom