• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't forget, it had both Banjo & Steve in a time where most people still thought there was only one pass.
I mean, they're gaming icons. Both with a very strong connection to Nintendo lately.

...They weren't exactly hard to guess. Terry was the blatant SNK rep too. Maybe they had a leak or two, but let's be real, a lot of these aren't that hard of guesses. In addition, the problem is that a list can't just miss characters. Min Min has to be on there for it to make sense. Besides that, who says he had one list either? In addition to that, Steve was 5 years in negotiation. He wouldn't already be on the list, he'd already have been tried to be figured out. Listing Steve is not the correct way since the data we know makes him "not suggested" but already was being attempted to get.

Or basically the list clearly has guesses on it that don't fit with the timeline. It's a very fun guess list, with a lot of good ones. But it's still fake as fake can get.

I just want them to completely re-do All-Star mode lol.

I get that 80~fighters is a lot but... yeah, what we got was not it, chief.
It can be done better. You could just have it by Smash era, so newcomers only. It'd be too long using the Melee and Brawl method, yeah.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Dante would get a bigger reaction from Smash fans. But Tekken is objectively a bigger series than Devil May Cry; so if Dante was in, that could be why Kazuya was at E3 & Dante wasn’t.
Fair enough, but still, I don't think we are getting two half demons back to back.
Many of the stuff Dante could bring has been done by a DLC character already
-Kazuya has combos and devil form
-Sephiroth overlaps with his visual design
-Both Min Min and Byleth can switch weapons
-Joker has guns
There's also the fact that we would most likely get another franchise from Capcom, given that DMC isn't as big as RE of MH, for instance.

Shroob

Sup?
I always find calls of toxicity funny.

No doubt, like any place online, this thread will have its fair share of those moments, sure.

But 9 times out of 10, it feels less like actual toxicity and more like "People aren't agreeing with me/people are bringing up counter-arguments to my point."

I'll report toxicity when I see it, but having a counter-argument, as long as it's respectful, to someone's point, even if the debate gets somewhat heated, isn't toxic.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
It can be done better. You could just have it by Smash era, so newcomers only. It'd be too long using the Melee and Brawl method, yeah.
This is my favorite idea for bringing back All-Star mode. Maybe even have the Melee and Brawl Method alongside it for those who are really looking for a challenge.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oops that was suppose to be cut out cause I felt like it was a bit harsh, but idk I've seen some strong bias in this thread against him and once had a whole book typed at me full of smug remarks for thinking be was likely
You are still mad that I said that Rayman was unlikely because your best argument for him was your twitter account? If you want to convince someone in an argument, you need to use evidence, which you did not.

You seem to have this nagging notion that if someone does not think Rayman is likely they hate him. I’ve literally did two 100% rayman legends playthroughs and a few non 100% ones, and I can tell you he is not likely still. The fact of the matter is the Rayman franchise bombed in Japan and the series is on hiatus as of now. It does not matter that I might love Rayman Legends, Origins, and Rayman 1, I can be objective and say that he is not likely. There are plenty of characters I would love to see happen that I know are very likely not going to be in, such as Spyro, Neku, or Heavy. I can be objective and say that as much as I might want them, they are all very unlikely to be the final fighter. It is better to be objective and accept criticism that your most wanted is not a shoe in than to just complain off site or sulk in a support thread.

But to make this broader, I think one thing speculation needs to work on is just separating how much you would want a character and whether they are going to be in the game. The amount of times I have seen people take anyone saying that one of their most wanteds is unlikely sulk in their respective support thread is honestly depressingly high. Sometimes it might just be a couple off hand snarky remarks. Other times I have seen it be worse. The point is, if someone says that your most wanted character is unlikely, you can do one of two things.
  • try to convince them that they are not
  • move on
Obviously, Smash speculation can be kind of bunk. At the end of the day, almost no one on here predicted Kazuya after that Heihachi mii. If someone says your most wanted is unlikely, it is far from the end of the world. You could convince them of why they might be likely, as plenty of people have. If it were not for some very passionate Falcom fans, such as Sharklord, I doubt this site would entertain Adol in Smash. Or you could see people like Rie who have created strong cases for characters like Reimu. That being said, if you do not think you can make the case, the best hting you can do is just move on. Yeah, it might be fun to hope that your most wanted gets in, but everyone has to be prepared for the reality that it might not happen. Crash was one of my most wanteds, and I can fully accept that right now, he is probably not CP11. It is important to keep your expectations in check, otherwise you are just dooming yourself to disappointment.

Kazuya to my knowledge was not leaked at all, and if that's the case, FP11 most likely will be a complete mystery until the reveal, which at the latest will be in the September Nintendo Direct.
I mean, I would say that betting on a September reveal might lead you to be a little miffed if it does not happen. I remember everyone was expecting that we would get a May reveal because of how quick we got Steve, Sephiroth, and Pythra, but ultimately that never came to be. Personally, I would expect something more akin to what we got with Byleth or with Corrin Bayo: an individual presentation that leads directly into the Sakurai Presents.

Heihachi is on the list.
Kazuya is NOT.

I personally have never taken the list too seriously after ARMS, but depending on what Sakurai says in the Sakurai Presents, we could explain away Heihachi the same way we can explain away Rex being on there instead of Pythra. Honestly if the last character is someone on the list it would be quite amusing not gonna lie.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I would say that betting on a September reveal might lead you to be a little miffed if it does not happen. I remember everyone was expecting that we would get a May reveal because of how quick we got Steve, Sephiroth, and Pythra, but ultimately that never came to be. Personally, I would expect something more akin to what we got with Byleth or with Corrin Bayo: an individual presentation that leads directly into the Sakurai Presents.
I mean, don't get me wrong, that'd be great, but a September Direct is probably the safest thing anyone can bet on, even during 2020, we got a Direct in September, the Mario 35th one.

I can't imagine Nintendo breaking the Smash reveal(Or at least, the announcement of a Mr.Sakurai Presents), off from their fall Direct, saving Smash until then is basically free publicity for their last Direct of the year, since we'll all be watching it in waiting to see what happens.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Crash was one of my most wanteds, and I can fully accept that right now, he is probably not CP11. It is important to keep your expectations in check, otherwise you are just dooming yourself to disappointment.
THANK YOU!
Dude, I just want to tell desperate Crash fans that Activision is known for being a greedy and stingy company, and tell them that if Crash couldn't get in PSASBR in part due to how much money Activision asked for form Sony and the PSASBR dev team, his chances for getting in Smash aren't that high.

I'd love to see him, don't get me wrong...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Nintendo's had a Direct in September every year since the advent of the Switch (outside of 2020 where general directs stopped being a thing). I can't imagine this year will be any different now that General Directs are back on the table, and I can't imagine there not being a Smash reveal there...that is, unless Nintendo decides to reveal the last character beforehand in a seperate broadcast or something.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Hey guys, so I'm going up north to visit some family and friends for my birthday. Unfortunately it will only be about a week, so there will be a level of hustle and bustle and I'll be rather swept up in it all, so I probably won't be able to comment on anything that happens around Kazuya's presentation. In advance, since I've been pretty alright with calling Mii Costumes in terms of returning ones, I think I'll have a little fun here and see if I'm right later. I'm expecting to see...
  • Lloyd's costume, I think this is completely obvious and written in stone. Big surprise if it's not there.
  • Jin as a Brawler, maybe Xiaoyu or both. There are other big Tekken characters, but this seems right to me.
  • KOS-MOS as a Gunner. Just seems like a really good opportunity. Screams to me to be happening, but could be wrong of course.
  • Maybe Mitsurugi or Nightmare as a Swordfighter. Doesn't scream to me as much as KOS-MOS, but would be pretty neat.
I think we can also expect some sort of decked-out Mii costume that will blow us all away and one that will probably make a fan base sad, but this is par for the course.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for what I would like to add as a topic, I genuinely would like to start a conversation about what people would expect to see for future content. Let me make this clear though: I'm not talking about debating whether it exists or not. We've already been over that enough to know that the majority thinks it's all over after CP11 outside of some QoL patches and a Spirit Event and Tournament Event or two. I'm not here for some boring repeat where twenty-some people all simply post 'There is nothing else' and move on to repeating the same conversations we've been having for months. I'm sure we've had this discussion before somewhere, but I don't think I've seen it without the soul-crushing realism cutting it short, and honestly this seems like a good time to talk about it as we are very close to the doors perhaps closing forever on Ultimate.

No, I want to hear much more interesting takes. Thus, my topic is that instead of debating about the likely hood, let's have a conversation in a vacuum of sorts...

Let's pretend we already know there is more content for Smash Ultimate, and we know it's a big deal, but that we don't know what we are getting or how we are going to get it.

Thus, in this sort of bubble that allows creativity and speculation, I seriously would love to see what you guys would expect. Do you think it's a third pass? Do you think it's more akin to Smash 4? Are we getting a new game this early, despite all the odds? What characters would you expect to see? Do you think your current most-wanted has a chance in this scenario? Do you think we could get new modes? Maybe returning ones? Could Smash Run make it's return at long last?

I genuinely want to know your thoughts on this.

And as such, I will start off by giving you mine.

I think that while getting another game this early isn't impossible, it really seems like a far-fetched idea. Like, INCREDIBLY far-fetched, basically not happening, but I'm not a Sith so no absolutes. However, I know that Ultimate was HEAVILY rushed and that a lot of cuts were made and ideas thrown out, so the idea of a massive undertaking to make the game feel more complete and fleshed out and package it up with the Switch Pro sounds pretty appealing. Maybe it would just be loose-leaf updates and DLC like Smash 4, or maybe it would be one big thing all done at once that happens late into 2022, I'm not sure. Remember, this is more about what we would get than how it work work out. However, I think that something like a big patch/update many months after the game is seemingly dead that adds a bunch of new content as one final hurrah would be a really good way to go about it.

I think that if Ultimate were to get more content, I think Sakurai would want to take the time to add a bit more to WoL. Not sure what, but I would expect it to have maybe another section or arc of gameplay. I would also expect Smash Run, Break the Targets, and a Boss Rush to return, and maybe a new mode or two. I think the game would be updated to take advantage of whatever the Switch Pro brings to the table, so I think the game would look better and have better load times. Don't forget that Ultimate only loads in half of K. Rool at a time so the game doesn't massively lag, so updates like this would likely be a thing.

I also think we would get updates to older characters, some that are more minor changes, and maybe a few on the level of Link. I think that we would get characters that really don't fit within a Season Pass, characters that feel like they should have been in base, characters like Dixie Kong, Skull Kid and Krystal just to name a few, and of course the Wah would finally get in, and as you can see I think there would be a heaping amount of first party contributions. As far as third party would go, while I always root for my boi-o Geno, I think they could go nuts and reveal Crash. Out of all the characters that feel like they could fit in a base-game-esq roster, Crash just kinda fits into Smash imo. I also think Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd/Yuri and Dante would all have a good chance to show up in something like this. Of course, we would get some new stages and music and spirits and the like as well.

In this scenario, I think that it would be packaged something a la how SF4 and SFV have done, in which those who own Ultimate already could pay a smaller amount of money for this massive update, and those who never bought the game or any of the DLC thus far could pay $60-$80 and buy Smash Ultimate: Charged Edition or whatever and they would get everything in one bundle. Par for the course, I think that those who already own the game would get some of the minor features like balances changes and character updates free, but Nintendo tends to be generous, so we could even get some or all of the first party content free as well and just have to pay for the third party content.

Anyway, I'm eager to see what you guys think could happen in such a scenario, and I hope you all have fun thinking up what could happen in a situation were Ultimate isn't quite done yet at the end of this year. Happy speculating! :)
I think it’d be a third pass or a couple extra fighters like what was originally planned before FP2 became a thing. A WOL expansion would v cool but I’m not expecting it.

I think Master Chief would have a good shot (if he’s not in already 👀). The Microsoft partnerships have worked really well so far & the demand for Chief has risen exponentially. If they’re paying attention to more recent demand with an easy company, then that could help Dante too.

Each set of DLC (Smash 4, FP1, FP2) has had atleast one JRPG character & a fighting game character. So I’d expect Yuri/Crono & Sol/Kyo/Chun-Li.

Then there’s be some Switch era Nintendo characters too. Maybe Officer Howard or Ring Fit Trainee can get promoted. Or we finally get a new Zelda character.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't know whether or not this is likely, but what are the chances of FP11 being an ultra-hype character that goes well with a finale for Ultimate (such as including a trailer showing all the previous characters of the game, like with "Everyone Is Here")? What characters would make for great candidates?

Shroob

Sup?
I think a big question is what exactly will Nintendo have to show us in 3 month's time?

BotW2 seems.... unlikely tbh. We barely got anything at E3 besides, admittedly, a very nice trailer, but that still gave us more questions than answers. It feels way too early for actual in-depth gameplay that we can sink our teeth into if they're "aiming" for a 2022 release date.

Splatoon 3 is possible, in fact I almost expect it, but I wonder just when in 2022 it'll launch.

Assuming we don't get the last fighter beforehand, Smash is obvious.

After that...... No idea. I could see the Fall Direct being a bit anemic on content with Smash and maybe Splatoon 3 being the big sellers.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think a big question is what exactly will Nintendo have to show us in 3 month's time?

BotW2 seems.... unlikely tbh. We barely got anything at E3 besides, admittedly, a very nice trailer, but that still gave us more questions than answers. It feels way too early for actual in-depth gameplay that we can sink our teeth into if they're "aiming" for a 2022 release date.

Splatoon 3 is possible, in fact I almost expect it, but I wonder just when in 2022 it'll launch.

After that...... No idea. I could see the Fall Direct being a bit anemic on content with Smash and maybe Splatoon 3 being the big sellers.
Probably another big game or two for 2022?

The Fall Direct back in 2018 had revealed Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

As long as I get my Xenoblade Chronicles X port I don’t really care

I just wanna enjoy X again and don’t feel like setting up my Wii U anymore tbh

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah that's how I would do it.
  • Round 1: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff: (12)
  • Round 2: :ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw: (14)
  • Round 3: :ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf: (16)
  • Round 4: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta: (21)
  • Round 5: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:/:ultmythra::ultkazuya::substitute: (23 assuming DLC)
They'd probably stick Echo Fighters next to their origin characters, but I think it would be better to do it strictly by series debut. Either way, the mode steadily ramps up in difficulty with more and more combatants to take on per round, and you could add difficulty levels that change how much the mode acts like Multi-Man Smash. As for the stage, I'd pick a random one from the era (INB4 people complain about cursed runs with Mushroom Kingdom, Brinstar Depths, 75M, The Great Cave Offensive, and Great Plateau Tower).

EDIT: lol forgot Ken.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Maybe not as the last DLC character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but as newcomer in next game of the series. I mean the Mr. Stevenson from the Gumshoe.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
THANK YOU!
Dude, I just want to tell desperate Crash fans that Activision is known for being a greedy and stingy company, and tell them that if Crash couldn't get in PSASBR in part due to how much money Activision asked for form Sony and the PSASBR dev team, his chances for getting in Smash aren't that high.

I'd love to see him, don't get me wrong...
I mean, I do not think Activision being greedy over PSABR has much of an effect. PSABR had the budget of a ham sandwich and even with the third parties they did get, it felt like there were some serious strings attached. Donte instead of Dante, Raiden from MGSR instead of Snake, Young Heihachi from TTT2 instead of the iconic one, etc. I think with Smash Activision would not nearly be as hard to work with, partly because its a proven entity and also because Smash has a much bigger war chest. Smash has been able to make companies notorious for being large or hard to work with, such as Microsoft, Konami, or Square play ball. If Crash talks happened, I doubt greed would be the death knell.

The actual reason Crash likely isnt CP 11 is just because CP 11 odds are is not going to be a big "hype" character. E3 is usually when they would reveal a big "hype" character, and we got Kazuya there. Granted, Tekken is huge and Kaz being there makes a ton of sense, but that puts Crash in a bad spot. You could make the argument that compared to Tekken, Minecraft, and the biggest villain in gaming not in smash, Crash could theoretically be the "smaller" last reveal. But even then, that is a reach.

I think what Sakurai said about doing Rex & Pyra together is a death sentence for Howard too. Sure he figured out how to nake a Tekken rep work but that never required having to handle 16 character models in 8-Player Smash.
I get your point... But :ulticeclimbers:

If we do get a fall direct, here are a few things I think we might get.

• 1-2 big first party titles to tease for next year. Maybe Splatoon 3 can count for this, maybe not. Stuff like a 3D Dk, or something of that level.
  • Ports! Honestly, you could throw darts at a wall and see what you get for ports. I will go with Trails of Cold Steel 1-2, Persona 5, and the Layton trilogy ported from IOS
  • Project Triangle Synergy stuff
  • Advance Wars gets a bit more focus

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think we'll probably see those two games you mentioned and the rest of it will probably be announcements for the Dec-Feb frame. There are those rumored new Kirby and DK games that weren't at E3, maybe one of them will be there. And there's bound to be some small eShop exclusive titles.

It feels kinda early to be speculating about a future Direct though, we're not even a week from E3. We'll probably have a good idea of more stuff by the time the Direct comes, much like how WarioWare and Monkey Ball rumblings grew in the days before E3.

ZelDan

Smash Master

-Well, I could see more info on stuff announced this E3 (Metroid Dread, Mario Party, Advanced Wars maybe)

-new first party titles beyond what we know. Maybe a new Kirby game, the rumored new DK game perhaps, and/or a new fire emblem new/new fire Emblem remake (4 or 6 plz)?

-Switch Pro stuff if we don't get it by then? If that rumor is even still a thing? I don't even know anymore...

-There's apparently some "Castlevania Advance collection" coming

-PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF KAMIYA GIVE US NEWS ON BAYONETTA 3

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think we'll probably see those two games you mentioned and the rest of it will probably be announcements for the Dec-Feb frame. There are those rumored new Kirby and DK games that weren't at E3, maybe one of them will be there. And there's bound to be some small eShop exclusive titles.

It feels kinda early to be speculating about a future Direct though, we're not even a week from E3. We'll probably have a good idea of more stuff by the time the Direct comes, much like how WarioWare and Monkey Ball rumblings grew in the days before E3.
Kinda ****ed up that by the time Kazuya comes out, assuming he drops the day of his presentation, we'll be able to say "Only 2 months(roughly) until September!"

.....where does the time go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The difference is that Nana and Popo's designs are not as complex as Rex, Pyra, and Mythra's (Sakurai did state that).
It also helps that unlike Pyra and Mythra, they're almost 100% identical bar textures. The hair pieces are slightly different.

And he had trouble getting them to work in 8-Player Smash on the Wii U version too. And never mind the 3DS version. It's crazy that Rex combined with Pyra and Mythra are even more difficult to do than IC's, the most known double character with programming issues. XD

Staarih

Smash Master
They'll probably focus again on the late year releases (Metroid Dread and Pokémon BDSP), I feel a game for December may also still be in the cards because Advance Wars only releases in the west then, Japan has nothing for Dec. Though I guess they could just ride with Pokémon for the holidays like they often do.

Other than that, a September Direct would surely show games for the rest of the fiscal year (until March 2022), so something for January (well, Pokémon Legends), February... and third party games too. Maybe further tidbits on BotW2 and Splatoon3 and other 2022 releases. If the Switch Pro ever turns out to be a thing and revealed this year, around that time would be quite convenient for it too.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know whether or not this is likely, but what are the chances of FP11 being an ultra-hype character that goes well with a finale for Ultimate (such as including a trailer showing all the previous characters of the game, like with "Everyone Is Here")? What characters would make for great candidates?
I'd say 50-50, or 33% if we're counting mid-tier characters as their own thing. Everyone who'd want FP2 would probably have it by now, so Nintendo could end it out with a bang for one last hurrah or a whimper because they've already had enough bangs.

We've already rattled off Crash and Master Chief and League of Legends and all that jazz many times over, so I'm focusing on characters who Kazuya made available again
  • Ezio; Assassin's Creed is a huge series and the white robes and hood is an iconic figure of gaming, even if you can't name anyone.
  • Dante; Devil May Cry's on a roll after DMCV, and as a series it's quite noticeable among action games
  • Phoenix; Ace Attorney is the quessential beginner's visual novel, and everyone knows the point and the "OBJECTION" shout
  • Dovahkiin; Skyrim is on everything (Thanks Todd), and is a major player for wide-open games

D

Deleted member

. I mean, I would say that betting on a September reveal might lead you to be a little miffed if it does not happen. I remember everyone was expecting that we would get a May reveal because of how quick we got Steve, Sephiroth, and Pythra, but ultimately that never came to be.
I agree with everything you said but just to point something out real quick, Sakurai did tweet mid May and ask us to ‘wait a little longer’ so that’s when we knew the reveal was pushed to coincide with E3.

Nobody really felt letdown thanks to that communication on his part

Stratos

Smash Ace
After the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Pokémon Shining Pearl and Pokémon Legends: Arceus, logically in November 2022 will be released the versions of 9th generation and maybe in the next game of the Super Smash Bros. series. to see a Pokémon from there as a newcomer.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Phoenix; Ace Attorney is the quessential beginner's visual novel, and everyone knows the point and the "OBJECTION" shout
OBJECTION!
Kazuya broke into Phoenix's crib and stole his hair and dyed his suit black. Therefore, Phoenix Wright cannot join Smash!

In all seriousness, I agree with your post, lol
Though I do still think a LoL rep could still show up.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I also think the Fall Direct is the last time some games will be shown before release, no? Like AW and SMTV, not to mention Metroid Dread, for example. So they'll probably focus on that for most of said Direct.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I can’t find the post about Mortal Kombat costumes that was here earlier, so I’ll just say that it is a fantastic idea and I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Especially since we almost definitely aren’t getting another Fighting Game Character.

I love how Pyra and Mythra almost singlehandedly killed all of Capcoms chances and Kazuya has brought most of them back. I can now once again hope Phoenix makes his way in. Though I wouldn’t complain about Dante either.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I always find calls of toxicity funny.

No doubt, like any place online, this thread will have its fair share of those moments, sure.

But 9 times out of 10, it feels less like actual toxicity and more like "People aren't agreeing with me/people are bringing up counter-arguments to my point."

I'll report toxicity when I see it, but having a counter-argument, as long as it's respectful, to someone's point, even if the debate gets somewhat heated, isn't toxic.
I think you are assuming all speculation happens in this thread, when in fact this thread is dead in comparison to what happens on Reddit, Twitter and Discord.

Do yourself a non-favor and go view Smash speculation on YouTube or Twitter for a smidge...you know, where they are actively posting media where they proudly hate on other people who love the same game as them because they want a character that they don't? Where people are confused on why they are vilified for simply loving a character and wanting them in the game? Where people remove themselves from speculation because people maul their thread with unjust insults?

Honestly, this thread is only mildly better, but I guess I can give some credit to the staff here for that. They occasionally make sure that people aren't harassed for the character they like and think could be in.

Also you yourself have shown clear examples of this, and this statement is clearly trying to frame the situation as if you haven't been toxic, and isn't subtle about it at all. Like, how many times do people here have to complain about a user who has long-since moved on to greener pastures or use what they assume is a fake leak to insult the intelligence of those who are more open to possibilities than they are? Do you have to attack someone just because the believe in something you don't, or dare to consider it, even if not in any serious capacity? Do you have to keep assuming the stance and character of the other person and attacking that when the only argument you can give is a rehash of the same one given six month ago, some of which already being rendered incorrect or false?

Maybe instead of acting as if there is less toxicity here, you should instead realize that your own actions are toxic and stop trying to put yourself above it. Maybe then you can improve yourself in that regard and be better able to identify toxicity and help put a stop to it. I'm doing it in my own way, which is trying to be less aggressive to how close-minded and oppressive the community tends to be and, rather than getting irritated about it, going back to what I used to do which is giving them openings to be more open-minded and trying to help them be less forceful with their beliefs on others.

It didn't work last time, thus the blatant irritation I sometimes show, but I'm willing to try it again if it makes people more open to reading my posts and discussing the content of them, which will hopefully lead to healthier discussion and more variety.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also, we don't know for sure
But I just had a fun idea about Dovahkiin HYPOTHETICALLY fitting the Second Chance theory

Skyrim being one of the first 3rd Party titles ever unveiled to be coming to the Switch -- Dovahkiin/Skyrim content in Smash
Dovakhiin in Smash doesn't initially work out... UNTIL around mid 2019 when FP2's content was decided on...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think even the most popular requests at this rate would end up being controversial to some extent. As cool as it would be to end with say, Master Chief, a lot of people now are gonna be bitter that Vergeben was kinda sorta right and I forsee a lot of people who would also be disappointed that the pass ended up being dominantly "realistic humans" or something to that extent. As we all know the last character is going to be under some very unfair scrutiny no matter what.

What are the odds of any of those big community darlings closing things out though? I think it's higher than a lot of people think, at least. Honestly I believe the pass was just paced differently this time around and Nintendo made the conscious decision not to end with another "Byleth" so to speak. I could of course be wrong but with two Switch era first parties in tow part of me believes they already got that out of their system.

Personally I'm expecting a sort of moderately popular, relatively inoffensive third party to be the final character in a similar vein to Bayonetta or Terry sorta, but something I've taken note of is how the third party IPs we've gotten in FP2 so far are all MASSIVELY successful and popular. Perhaps Nintendo's line of vision is skewed a bit more toward the big guns (Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya) than the slightly deeper cuts (Joker, Banjo, Terry) we got before? All in all I think there's a chance we end on a "hype" character. Will it be like, the conventional Smash fandom definition of hype? I don't know, but there's certainly a chance that we continue down this path of getting big mass appeal franchises / characters on board.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Perhaps Nintendo's line of vision is skewed a bit more toward the big guns (Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya)
And not to mention the 3 franchises they come from

Minecraft - best selling game ever, used to entertain and teach as well
Final Fantasy - 16 mainline massive JRPGS games, beloved by many
Tekken - one of the best selling and iconic fighting game franchises

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom