• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Too late. To spite you I'll make Samus WLW. That is, I would if Nintendo didn't already announce that in officially licensed Nintendo stuff

View attachment 320100

Tbf I doubt the extra character is meant to be seen as a massive pull, in all likelihood Nintendo said "Yo can we put an extra character in there? It'd be higher profits". This also implies Smash was ever concerned about promoting too many first party titles
Never seen this picture before
Ok then

Powerman293

Smash Ace
My friends and I are convinced the last character is gonna be a Pokemon. It's a very Nintendo move to end Sakurai's incredible run with Smash with a Pokemon of all things.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The Dragonborn does have a specific look used for marketing though, and from a cursory glance, the other races share about the same dimensions.

It's also only feasible for about 3 different alts so it would probably just be something like Nord male (the usual depiction), Nord female, and then maybe Khajit (probably not how you spell it) male/female or something. I can't say for certain that that would be satisfactory, but I have a feeling that the other races won't be too much of an issue.
Ideally, it would be great if they could do something like M/F Nord, Elf, Orc and Khajit/Argonian. It would get the most well rounded selection of races into the game while still staying within the eight alt restrictions.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nearly a week now. How's everyone feeling towards Kazuya?

Myself? On one hand I've never played Tekken but on the other hand we got not just another fighting game character but another villain as well and Kazuya looks really cool so I'm content with his inclusion and hearing about Tekken's legacy, it definitely more then earns its spot on the roster.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Megaman and Street Fighter are generally the main two Capcom franchises even if they're not the best selling. Resident Evil is the best selling, which is why its absence has been rather glaring. Devil May Cry probably would also have a much larger push if the old DMC games came out on Gamecube back in the day instead of PS2 only...for a long time Devil May Cry had no presence on Nintendo consoles so a lot of Nintendo fans were not as familiar with the franchise.

And as for the others, I just don't see Nintendo/Sakurai/Capcom wanting to push them in Smash over the bigger ones. It's hard enough to get a character in Smash to begin with, now imagine not wanting to promote your biggest franchises over the less selling ones.
Fair point, but it still shows that Money and popularity don’t rule who becomes the next character, else MonHun wouldn’t have been Mii’d.

As for why Nintendo/Capcom/Sakurai would promote another Franchise. I can’t speak for anything other than Ace Attorney as I haven’t been keeping up with them. But Ace Attorney is getting the Great Ace Attorney collection localised, a potential 4-6 remaster seems to be in talks, and Ace Attorney 7 is apparently in the early stages of work. All of these games are presumably coming to Switch. So that’s plenty of reason to push Phoenix.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My friends and I are convinced the last character is gonna be a Pokemon. It's a very Nintendo move to end Sakurai's incredible run with Smash with a Pokemon of all things.
I'm convinced the last character is Euden, but to each their own.
I’m still riding the Splatoon finale train myself

Octoling or Off The Hook, either or

Technomage

Smash Champion
Why do people treat assist promotions as some massively hard thing to do when they literally just have to remove one item from the game?

All they would have to do is change the assist trophy item so that it can no longer summon Waluigi. That's it, it's not some massive development undertaking that requires the whole staff to work Monday-Sunday on crunch time to program.
They don't even need to toggle it off; in fact, they don't care about the confusion it'd cause, as seen by the Bomberman AT still appearing even with a white Bomberman Mii Brawler.

Myself? On one hand I've never played Tekken but on the other hand we got not just another fighting game character but another villain as well and Kazuya looks really cool so I'm content with his inclusion and hearing about Tekken's legacy, it definitely more then earns its spot on the roster.
I'm personally getting antsy about him releasing, and would be willing to make him one of my casual mains. On the other hand, the possibility of his moveset having really complex command inputs could make me feel it'd be too daunting.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I’m still riding the Splatoon finale train myself

Octoling or Off The Hook, either or
I'm convinced the last character is Euden, but to each their own.
Watch y'all be wrong and we get King Boo to coincide with an October release because Halloween.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, we know this about AT's;

• Disabling them is hyper easy as coding. They aren't going to say no cause it already has a role. Min Min shows that the base game role at most affected Pass 1 alone.
  • Nintendo is a business. They aren't legitimately going to care because if they want a character, they will say it. If they aren't suggesting Waluigi, it'll be unrelated to AT's for sure. Maybe they don't want to use him that way because they view him as a unique side character. Maybe they don't care about how popular he is. Maybe another higher-up veto'd it.
  • Sakurai saying no doesn't make any real sense in this context. The AT status, just like Costumes and Spirits, are clearly not some hard lock. It hasn't happened yet simply because Nintendo didn't suggest it yet. This is the first unique DLC model where DLC isn't chosen in an organized way, so it doesn't have the same style as 4. If he says no, it'll always be because of actual relevant factors; Moveset, unable to do what he needs to to make the character work due to the IP holder. That's... kind of it. Remember, he was hesitant on Min Min slightly cause he wanted the main character. And I say hesitant loosely cause he doesn't have to hold himself to some ridiculous rule anyway. Those are guidelines he deploys to help determine roster spots. They are not "rules" at all. Anybody who makes a roster has some kind of guideline they follow, even if it's as simple as "I really like these characters", meaning they'll, just like Sakurai, have character choices that don't fit all the same guidelines. Or in some cases, fit none because he wasn't adhering to one.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Loving it. I’ve got fond memories of playing Tekken 4 in an arcade with my friends.
I still don’t know ██ about Tekken so it’ll also be a fun learning experience. Combine that with the fact I love the other fighting game characters in Smash. Big fan of Kazuya.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I don’t think Waluigi is happening, not because of Assists or anything, but because of his intense competition and the fact most of his popularity died after his assist reveal.

Still, it would be cool to end Ultimate with the guy whos been rejected all these years.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don’t think Waluigi is happening, not because of Assists or anything, but because of his intense competition and the fact most of his popularity died after his assist reveal.
Bu-b-but Reggie's statement regarding the outcry! How the news made it onto an internet news site!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If Sakurai doesn’t return next game. Do you think he’ll oversee the project or be completely hands off on it?

I’m betting on the latter if he doesn’t return.
I guess it depends on what he's doing. If he's working on another project then he'll probably dedicate himself full time to that and wouldn't do more than give his blessing to the new team. If he's already retired then yeah, I could see him taking on an advisory position.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

He's neat.

I played my fair share of Tekken Tag Tournament back when I was a kid but I was never really that big on the series. His moveset seems pretty fun and I'm sure he'll bring some banger music with him, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know this is a joke but was that before or after Ultimate? I can’t remember.
After Waluigi was revealed as an AT, there was a giant fan outcry. With a tiny selection of fans being beyond childish. Reggie during Ultimate already being released gave a statement he spoke to Sakurai on it.

So basically "after Ultimate" is the most accurate answer.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
CP6 - Min Min -> nintendo female character
CP7 - Steve -> third party non-human character
CP8 -> Sephiroth-> third party human character
CP9 -> Pyra/Mythra -> nintendo female character
CP10 -> Kazuya -> third party human character
CP11 -> ??? -> third party non-human character

Puzzle solved, this benefits ….

Laniv

Smash Champion
Everyone talks about Assist promotions, but no one ever talks about Poké Ball promotions. I wanted Meowth. :(

Waluigi won't be part of the DLC, but he is a strong contender for the base roster in the next Smash. Only alternative is if they go with Toad/Toadette over him for the next Mario rep.
I mean, there's still Pauline, they seem to be pushing her recently. Or Paper Mario. Or even King Boo as a sorta-kinda left field character

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Assist Trophies are such a loaded topic and generally I've tried to avoid getting in too deep to those kind of conversations, but I'll admit more and more I'm seeing a possible opportunity for a promotion of some kind. Of course we only have one more character left for this opportunity to occur and if you asked me to put money on it, I'd say it isn't going to happen. Still, with how many barriers have been broken and assumptions have been rendered false I find it silly to feel too strongly about what truly disqualifies a character from being viable.

Would it really be hard for Nintendo to go back on an AT and just prevent them from showing up when the promoted character is on stage? Of course not. And hell, I'd argue the presence of Chrom as both a playable character and part of Robin's FS shows that, even if the circumstances were slightly different, the whole obsession with what role x or y character already plays in the game means more to us than it does to Sakurai and especially Nintendo. I'd wager Nintendo doesn't care one bit, which leaves it up to Sakurai to decide whether or not that's an option... who again, added Chrom as a playable character who can be finished off by Robin and Chrom and met with a pose featuring Chrom on the victory screen. You get the idea.

The more pressing question is just whether or not there's any individual AT who warrants being promoted right now. Which is of course debatable, it's not very creative of me to suggest but I do think Waluigi has a leg up over the competition due to his significant fan demand. But if some other motivation exists for other characters then I wouldn't completely count that out either. My consensus is that ATs can be promoted if they really wanted to, but I don't think they see any pressing need to do so right now outside of the arbitrary boundary breaking of "an AT promotion!!", which would definitely turn heads but shouldn't and likely wouldn't be the sole reason to do so.

Consider though, the existence of a working model in-game is pretty convenient if they ever did want to promote any of those characters in Ultimate. Going back to Chrom, I imagine that's why it was so easy to add him in the first place.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You do be right about River City
Tho idk if we'd actually get two fighting game characters back to back
River City games are all beat-em-ups and sports games. Not fighting games.

Time to go all in on "New Company Theory ™"
Koei Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
Nihon Falcom: Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
ArcSys: Kunio/Riki [River City]
WayForward: Shantae [Shantae]

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Going back to Chrom, I imagine that's why it was so easy to add him in the first place
His fighter model is LITERALLY his FS model. However AT models will need a little polish, thankfully when they did recycle models for these challenger packs they all got edited in some way.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know, I just thought of something. People have been suggesting characters for a "Final Battle" trailer against both Galeem and Dharkon, yes? Because of how we got Hero against Dharkon and Sephiroth against Galeem.

What if it was Waluigi?

If the K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie trailers were already trollish, then man, this would be Smash's equivalent of the Rickroll. :roll:

And I would definitely be up for it.

Twilord

Smash Ace
CP6 - Min Min -> nintendo female character
CP7 - Steve -> third party non-human character
CP8 -> Sephiroth-> third party human character
CP9 -> Pyra/Mythra -> nintendo female character
CP10 -> Kazuya -> third party human character
CP11 -> ??? -> third party non-human character

With all due respect to Yokai-Watch...

If Jibanyan gets to fight Pikachu before Agumon does - in a game made by Bandai Namco... I may be tempted to sell organs - both my own and stolen from others - so that I can buy Bandai Namco and end them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom