• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
It's weird to think that there is a decent chance that the character(s) has/have already leaked somewhere on the internet at this point and we just won't realize it until after the reveal.
Honestly that is a thought I always chuckle over. A genuine leak being shown but it's either drowned out by fake leaks, everyone assumes its fake like the others and move on, or gets drowned out over a fake leak that gets popular.

Somehow that makes me laugh thinking about it.

Glory2Snowstar

Smash Rookie
Wow, what a journey it’s been. Can you believe it? Since June, no, MARCH OF 2018. I never would have pictured that we’d get a game where I can design a stage of my own fictional areas, where Piranha Plant and Steve team up to fight Sephiroth and Ridley as Megalovania plays in the background. This is a real post that is 100% accurate to Ultimate, and I find that amazing.
I have everything I could want. My only last wish is that of me and my two friends, one of us has yet to receive their dream pick: Doomguy. If we can get him in the game (and it’s looking likelier than I honestly thought), then this will truly be the Ultimate cap for a game that’s been through with us three during the toughest of times. And although I’m spending my Summer vacation far more on Miitopia’s Mii Maker than Smash, I eagerly await any and all Mii Costume news. A Shovel Knight/Hollow Knight Mii Costume would be divine, especially with some confirmation that Silksong wasn’t just a collective hallucination.

Oh yeah for those curious and also playing Miitopia my code is 2MM0F0Y and my Miipedia’s right here: https://miipedia.com/author/2MM0F0Y

7NATOR

Smash Master
So with the Direct being in 12 hours, I think I should go ahead and give my analysis as to who I think will be the Final 2 Smash Fighters.

I lean towards a Double reveal, with a Close release date between CP10 and CP11. I think CP10 will release this week, and actually perhaps the day of. I think CP11 will come in July at the latest. I also think the trailers could be related in concept, and perhaps continuity (in that one flows into another). I don't think both characters will be revealed in the same trailer. I think these last 2 trailers will focus on the True ending of the game, with Galeem and Dharkon

If you guys Familiar with me, You already know I predict Shadow the Hedgehog as one of the last 2 characters. Even so, I'd be surprised to see his trailer because usually dreams don't become reality, but I am predicting him

So I focus this analysis on the other character I think may be in the game

:ultshadow:

:ult2B:

:ultA2:

There are 3 prominent Tourneys that have been noticed to be missing

-2010’s Tourney
-Swordfighter Tourney
-Women’s Tourney

2B is a character that applies to all 3 of these tourneys.

The 2010’s tourney is a very weird omission all this time because the other era tourneys (80’s, 90’s, 00’s) were actually done before even Min Min came out, with a 2 month or 4 month break between the tourneys. The 2010’s tourney has been missing for about a whole year now

In that time we have gotten 3 2010’s characters: Min Min, Steve (Since he’s based of Java release of Minecraft), and Pyra/Mythra

The recent Fire tourney shows they have delayed regular tourneys to add in some of the FP2 characters

The Swordfighter tourney is a weird absence not only because of the prominence of Swords, but also because we have gotten 2 Fighters that are Iconic for their Swords (Masumune, and Pyra/Mythra are the Swords themselves)

If the lack of Swordfighter tourney means anything, it has to be someone that specifically uses a Sword. Even other weapon users, like King Dedede, the Belmonts, and Joker, were present in the Steve DLC Tourney (with dealt with tool users), but Swordfighters were absent

There’s a recent IC Glitch that involves Nana (or Popo depending on the color) teleporting when doing Side B.

If this glitch was pointing towards a character that using A.I partner (which is why Nana is teleporting) than 2B might fit this, since she has her Iconic drone that follows her around

The Bonus Slot listing has had speculation of it being a bonus fighter, and despite the wording from Sakurai of only 2 Fighters left and 2 Sakurai presents left, the speculation continues to be prominent

One theory that could kind of make Sakurai’s word true, and yet still yield an extra fighter is if Bonus fighter is directly related to the Challenger pack itself, likely if the character was an echo of one of the Last 2 Fighters. Pyra/Mythra have their own numbering, so if counting them separate, they are 2 fighters in one

This is where A2 comes in. A2 is a prominent character in the Nier Automata game, and meets the criteria of an echo fighter. She has a Similar body type to 2B, and she has most of the same abilities as 2B, but unlike an alt, she also has her very distinct Personality, and potential gameplay differences (that can still be balanced against only 2B)

Both 2B and Lloyd use Katanas and come from Action RPG’s. Lloyd’s Costume has been missing, and it’s been weird that he has missed 2 mii waves that would would definitely relate to (Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra)

There’s a likely chance that all M Theory led to was the Franchise Icons in FP2 being removed to be consistent with FP1

M Theory is that around the time of Byleth’s reveal, something must have changed within the ESRB (since this only affects North America) that makes it so having certain M rated Franchises mentioned can give a video from Nintendo an M Rating. To counteract this, they started referring M Rated content to things that don’t mention the franchise (Smash X Altair, Smash X Vault Boy, Smash X Travis Touchdown instead of their franchises)

However 2B comes from an M Rated game in Nier Automata, so if this theory actually did relate to a character (which is why the icons are missing in FP2) then 2B would fit

“Nier (and by Extension 2B) haven’t appeared on Nintendo consoles”

Nier has not been on Nintendo Platforms, that is correct. 2B Herself has technically be on Nintendo Consoles thanks to PSO2 (Cloud Edition, in Japan), and now the upcoming Fall Guys

Still, if 2B got in, She would have the least amount of Nintendo crossover of all the characters, less so than Cloud and Joker.

“Sakurai just met Yoko Taro for the first time in December of 2019, after FP2 had been Finalized”

So I personally saw this as a big hit against 2B being a possible character, but there is more to this that might not make this seem as big of a deal as it might seem

December of 2019 was the first time Sakurai met Yoko Taro IN PERSON. However both of them have contacted and talked to each other before, just through Digital means like Twitter

Negotiations can still happen through Digital means. I would say it’s less common than just meeting in person, but it does happen

“Double dipping on Square in the Same Pass”

There has been no history of any 3rd party Company getting more than 1 fighter in a DLC Pass, so the precedent is not in it’s favor

With that being said, precedent has been something that has commonly been broken in FP2 (Spirits, secondary 3rd party reps, Companies getting more than 1 DLC Fighter in general)

Technically there isn’t something that says why a 3rd party Company can’t get more than 1 fighter in the same pass, and some people might be taking this to heart has Master Chief still gets speculated

-In the Same Vain as Joker, Her game became the breakout hit in a long-standing series, selling millions and millions of Copies and winning awards. Both of their games also came out in 2017

-Is a Popular Protagonist in her own right, and has garnered good amount of Smash requests, especially from Japan

-Coming from a Action game, The Source material leads to Moveset and Design assets being very easy to envision in Smash (this only means it makes the process smoother

-Yoko Taro is very lax with Crossovers and the rights to 2B and the rest of the Nier Cast, Especially compared to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. This is why 2B has made alot of crossover appearances, including in PS02, Soul Calibur, Monster Hunter, Fallguys, and more

-Sakurai has Played and enjoyed the Nier Automata game. Well familiar with the game and source material

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
11 hours til the direct,
if there's going to be a dual reveal on the e3 direct,
I just wanna say that It's been a great time speculating with you guys for two years.

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
This is it guys. In less than twelve hours, we might see the final reveals of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's been a long journey. Ever since E3 2011, where it technically began, we witnessed more or less the longest hype cycle of any Smash games. For better or worse, so much has changed in the decade. Now, the conclusion nears. Whenever it is in less than twelve hours or a few months, to be part of the Smash journey is unforgettable. I made many friends through my experience in the Smash community which I still keep up with today.

With that, I pose to all of you a question, what was your favorite memory during Smash speculation?

For me, it was watching in a Skype call with a whole bunch of friends during E3 2013. I was a diehard Mega Man supporter during the pre-Super Smash Bros. 4 era and he was - and will always be - by far my most wanted character. To say I was a nervous wreck going into E3 was an understatement. All was riding on Rock's debut in the latest and greatest Super Smash Bros. title.

As we got to the end of E3 2013 - which was okay but nothing special for Nintendo - Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U brought us the surprise addition of Villager, who I never though Sakurai would change his mind on. Then we got past his trailer and the fire lit up. The dark night sky enveloped the barren desert with the confirmed veterans such as Mario. The camera looked up at a mysterious dark figure.

'Was it Lloyd Irving?' I thought? A closer look revealed something else. Once I saw his hair up close and his head turned into an all-encompassing helmet, I yelled at the top of my lung.

To see Mega Man faithfully represented when it comes to move sets (how practically all of them used Robot Master moves) and the incredible Mega Man 2 title screen brought joy to my heart the way nothing else has done since. It was one of the happiest moment as a gamer to see my most wanted character get in. I still say I had the best reaction to Mega Man's reveal among my friend group.

Nothing that will be shown at the Direct tomorrow will top that - not even a 3D Donkey Kong game or a fantastic F-Zero title. It was a dream come true and a memory I will cherish until the day I shut my eye for good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now's totally the perfect time to suggest a never-ever character!

Here's a concept fighter pack for a character that is definitely not in the pool of possibilities for an E3 reveal, Junpei from Zero Escape. He's from a visual novel so viewing him as a fleshed out fighter might need a bit of a mental gymnastics but I'll do my best to sell him as a fighter anyways. I don't think he'll ever be a Smash character but it's always nice to theorize potential. I'll try to avoid spoiling the games as much as possible and will put warnings whenever I go off the rails with spoilers. Enjoy.

Overview
Junpei comes from the Zero Escape trilogy, a visual novel series that started in the DS with 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, received a sequel with Virtue's Last Reward in 2012, and ended with Zero Time Dilemma in 2016, with remakes of the first two games released a year after. The games, while performing well overseas, underperformed in Japan, so much so that Zero Time Dilemma's development was put on hiatus, with fan demand been the only reason development continued.

As for Junpei himself, he was the protagonist of the first game, reappearing in both sequels as a side character. Junpei possesses the ability of "morphogenetic shifting," an ability that lets him gain knowledge of the future and alternate timelines, allowing him to know things that he shouldn't. This ability is expanded upon in the sequels, but the original game alone showed how great this power can be. Other than that ability, Junpei is a pretty normal guy, so as a fighter, he will use unconventional methods to be able to work as a Smash fighter with a twist.

The Moveset
So y'all know how Duck Hunt is technically a trio with the dog, duck, and offscreen Zapper user? My vision for Junpei's moveset would be similar to this. His moveset would still very much be like Villager and Isabelle's, with Junpei doing mundane tasks with surprisingly effective results like opening a hatch on the floor and poking people with a random tool, but offscreen, there is someone influencing and helping Junpei, that person being Zero, the mastermind of the Nonary Game. Zero could provide Junpei the tools and help he needs to be able to keep up in Smash. Junpei would be unaware of this, believing that Zero is out to kill him and is constantly at alert while fighting.

A moveset like this would involve Junpei fighting in a way that makes it obvious he doesn't know what's going on for most of the fight. Nearly all of his moves are him trying to defend himself from Zero's shenanigans rather than actually putting up a fight. He still has moves that he does at his own will, but most of his major moves would have him react to Zero's actions. To give an idea of what I mean, one of Junpei's throws could have him block an item thrown by Zero by covering himself with his opponent. I'm not gonna show a whole moveset, but here are the special moves and final smashes I managed to come up with with this idea in mind.

Special Moves:

Neutral Special:
Gun- Junpei shoots in front of him with a golden gun. He can't fire as rapidly as Joker and has to reload after firing 6 bullets, but the bullets deal more damage and knockback than Joker's.

999 Spoiler: The gun actually comes into play in both endings of the game as it's used to hold characters hostage. Junpei himself never uses it or even gets to hold it, but it's not a hard stretch to imagine he knows how to use one.

Side Special: Smoke Grenade- A grenade is thrown in front of Junpei by Zero. It starts giving out a smoke that can send opponents to sleep if they stay in it for too long.

This was the method of capture Zero used to collect the participants. The drug used in the grenade reappears throughout the series for several purposes. Knocking people out with drugs is an unfortunately common occurrence in the series.

Up Special: Explosive Charge - Zero assists Junpei by detonating an explosive below him, giving Junpei an upwards boost that surprisingly doesn't damage him. The explosion deals a great amount of damage and knockback to nearby foes.

Not really based on anything other than the fact that Zero implanted an explosive inside the participants of the first game.

Down Special: RED and DEAD- Junpei pulls out a device that scans his hand. For 9 seconds, Junpei receives a power up that greatly increases his damage, makes him faster, and grants him superarmor at low percentage. After 9 seconds pass, Junpei scans his hand on the device again and returns to his normal stats. The cooldown to use this move again is 81 seconds, which resets upon usage or KOing Junpei. The cooldown is shown on the HUD like so:

Every 9 seconds the watch's value goes up by one.

In 999, you had to use devices called REDs and DEADs to go through numbered doors. REDs made the doors open while DEADs deactivated bombs inside the participants that were activated once they went through the numbered door. The participants had 81 seconds to use the DEAD so an adrenaline rush always happened whenever they had to go through this process. Because this was actually an important element to Zero's plan, I thought translating this to Smash would make for a great down special.

Final Smash Ideas
This is a cutscene final smash. A smoke grenade is thrown in front of Junpei, and any opponents caught in it go to sleep. They wake up in an incinerator, and an alarm goes off with an announcer warning them that incineration will begin in "3, 2, 1..." The flames of the incinerator cause massive damage and launch or KO the opponents after the final smash endss.

This is based on the events that unfold in the incinerator, in which Akane/Ace and Snake are potentially burned alive. This seems like the easiest reference possible for a final smash and it is a good representation of the dire consequences in the Zero Escape series.

Another cutscene concept, the same transition from the Incinerated final smash is used here, except the number of fighters that can be caught is capped at 3. Instead of waking up in an incinerator room, the opponents are instead placed in a rec room with a poker table in front of them. 3 dice are rolled on the table. Once the results of the roll are shown, suits of armor in the room display their miniguns and start gunning down the opponents, launching them or KOing them depending on their damage. The final smash has a 1/216 chance of just doing something different, which occurs when all three dice roll a one. Instead of being gunned down, the fighters are instead prompted to touch a button that appears on the table. It is pressed, resulting in an explosion that instantly KOs them, regardless of damage taken.

This final smash is based on the decision game C-Team (which included Junpei) had to play in ZTD, which prompted them to roll 3 dice and have them all land on 1, or else. In the actual game, rolling three 1's always happens on the third roll, but in this concept it would actually have a 1/216 chance of happening. Instead of having nothing happen though, I instead decided to have this result in another reference. The button references a decision game D-Team plays that results in a hilarious game over that blows up the entire building the decision game participants are in and more in spectacular fashion. Pressing the button is the only option in this concept.

TL;DR, **** this timeline, I'm going to another one.

This one isn't a cutscene final smash. Instead, when activated, Junpei gives out a yell to the sky along with his conciousness. The essence of his conciousness comes back down and returns to "his" body. The final smash ends after that. The effects of this final smash either result in nothing or pure hilarity. This final smash causes every fighter to swap their damage, stocks, and KOs. This is completely random and not affected by where players currently rank (for example, the current 4th player will not have a higher chance of receiving the 1st player's stats, and vice versa). The swap pool includes players that have already being knocked out, so this could theoretically result in a Junpei who's in the lead getting himself out of the game by swapping his stocks with someone who was already eliminated. As the swaps are random, there is a chance that nothing happens. This effect is no different in timed, stamina, or spirit battles.

This final smash is of course based on the most important ability in the series, the ability to shift between timelines and retain your memories. I translated this into Smash by basically having Junpei enter a whole new fight by swapping around stocks and KOs. Shifting those stats around changes the entire course of the game and would be very chaotic if it was ever implemented. I don't think it is possible to actually make this effect possible but this is just an idea so who cares?

Stage:

The Q Room is the final puzzle room in Virtue's Last Reward. It is a room that, while completely blank at first, can transform and display new objects, most of which are puzzles from previous rooms in the game, making the Q room serve as a compilation of said puzzles. While the 999 also included a final room that reused puzzles, I felt that VLR's Q room provided a more unique and interesting setting for a stage. The room's transformation could allow the devs to make references to several puzzles throughout the series rather than just VLR's puzzles and also make the stage's platforms transform over time.

The room would be much bigger in Smash than it was in the original game, as the main platform would be the floating cube in the middle of the room. The transformations would take place over time, making random devices and items emerge from the cube. The possible items would include:
  • A piano
  • A surgical table with a mannequin on it
  • The helm of a ship
  • A coffin labeled "All Ice"
  • A metallic door with the number '9' labeled in red
  • A dartboard
  • A treatment pod
  • A large bookshelf
  • A robot with a pair of boxers
  • A tombstone labeled "Tu fui, ego eris"
  • A casino table
  • A strange alien like pod
  • A strange bomb (Can be detonated if hit for long enough)
  • A stand with a big blue button
  • A strange chair that can extend to reach higher places
These can appear on any face of the main cube platform, expanding the stage from all sides. The non-hazard version would prevent any platforms from spawning, leaving you with a blank slate of a room.

Spirits:

Seeing how each game has a cast of around 9 characters, there is a wide selection of characters to choose. I chose these 10 characters for the 9 spirit battles (get it?) because they're either very popular or very important to the stories of their respective game.

June

Class: Legend Support
Effect: Critical Health Final Smash (Grants a final smash immediately at high damage)
Fighters: Zelda and Junpei
Conditions: The enemy tends to avoid conflict, defeat the main fighter to win

Junpei's childhood friend and main love interest. One of the most important characters in the series, it's only natural to make her the main legend spirit of the board.

Santa

Class: Novice Support
Effect: PSI Resist+
Fighter: Link
Conditions: The floor is frozen

A non-assuming man with an important role in Zero's plan.

Snake and Clover

Class: Advanced Attack
Effect: Battering Items Power+
Fighters: Snake and Villager
Conditions: The enemy becomes stronger after an enemy is KO'd

A brother and sister duo that just can't catch a break. As they're protective of each other, making one stronger without the other during the battle would be a perfect reflection of their relationship.

Sigma

Class: Ace Shield
Effect: None
Fighter: Richter
Conditions: The enemy is injured but powerful

The protagonist of Virtue's Last Reward who, much like Junpei, has a vital role in the nonary game he's participating in.

Phi

Class: Advanced Support
Effect: Jump+
Fighter: Zero Suit Samus
Conditions: The enemy falls slowly

A mysterious girl who appears to have the same abilities as Junpei. She's a great ally to Sigma.

Dio

Class: Novice Attack
Fighter: Roy
Conditions: The enemy tends to avoid conflict

Dio is a very selfish game participant in Virtue's Last Reward. His actions mostly serve to hinder everyone else and can end up killing them, not that he really cares.

Carlos

Class: Ace Neutral
Fighters: 3x Terry, 3x Junpei, 3x Zelda
Conditions: Reinforcements will appear after an enemy is KO'd

Carlos is the team leader for C-Team alongside Junpei and Akane in ZTD and the closest thing to a primary protagonist in the game. He's a team player and achieving his team's ending involves going through several timelines where they're just picked off like flies. As such, I think a spirit battle that reflects this would be kind of funny, where you just kill off C-Team repeatedly until the battle ends.

Diana

Class: Advanced Shield
Fighters: Isabelle, Richter, Zero Suit Samus
Conditions: Take your strongest team into this no-frills battle

Diana is the team leader for D-Team, which includes herself, Sigma, and Phi. A nurse with a pacifist personality, it's no shock that the events in ZTD tear her apart mentally. Despite the odds, she is still determined to get out of her predicament alive along with everyone else.

Zero (Zero Time Dilemma)

Class: Ace Attack
Fighters: Dr. Mario and 6x Metal Mega-Man
Conditions: The enemy is metal,

This Zero comes from the third game in the series. By far the worst and most unfair person to take the role as his plans have world ending consequences, making the parcipants make decisions that will likely leave them dead.

Music List:
Zero Escape's OST is fairly unique and enhances the escapes room sequences' atmosphere. The music outside of the escape room sequences is also great, but would definitely need to be remixed to fit in a fighting game context. Here the list of music tracks with my reasoning for choosing said track.

9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors/Morphogenetic Sorrow: Morphogenetic Sorrow is the main reoccurring theme of the series, so it has to be included here. It could then transition into the more intense opening theme to fit a fight more well.

Unary Game/Ambidexterity: An intense theme that sets the mood immediately in the first escape room. Pretty unforgetable and deserving of a remix.

Senary Game: An oddly cool and weird track, I feel like it encapsulates the series' escape rooms perfectly.

Septenary Game: This one is just cool.

Pantry: A very unique track for a room that can take a very long time to solve.

Q: The theme for the stage I'm suggesting. Also helps that it's a cool track.

Blue Bird Lamentation: Alright maybe this track might be a bit too dramatic to turn into a fight theme, but it's so good. If Midna's Lament could get a remix, I don't see why this one couldn't either. It could even include this neat melody from ZTD to further expand the track.

Interminable Dilemma: Maybe the credits theme shouldn't be included in this list, but for a game with several endings, I think it's appropriate to include at least one. A remix would definitely be needed, though.

Ustulate Pathos: Carlos' theme. A nice ambient track and fitting for such a nice character. I think a remix could make it work as a fight theme.

Classic Mode
Classic mode simply includes characters whose fighter numbers' digital root equals 9. A digital root is basically the sum of the digits in a number (Digital root of 12 is 3 because 1+2 = 3, etc.). Digital roots were an important element in the original game and with 9 being such an important number to the series, I thought this would be a neat route for Junpei. Another idea I had in mind would be to repeat the same fight again and again with certain elements, like allies and available items, changing every time, but I passed on that idea once it came to actually coming up with the initial fight and changes.

Miscellaneous

Alternate colors based on several characters in the Zero Escape, the references starting from the second color being: Clover, Luna, Alice, Tenmyouji, Carlos, Junpei's ZTD appearance, and Zero.
  • In the mural, Junpei would appear by Robin's side, reading the tome alongside with him.
  • Junpei's title in boxing ring would be "Morphogenetic Shifter."
  • Junpei's victory theme.
  • His stock icon would be Zero's mask rather than his own face.

That aside, I find it hilarious that the 4 Zelda champions as a group is suddenly one of the main rumors as we head into the Direct. I would welcome it with open arms, but surely everyone knows that's impossible, right? Imagine though...
Excellent job, only criticism I have is more of a nitpick, I think Red or Dead should last 9 seconds but can be cancelled out earlier than 9 seconds, with a drawback being that if you let the 9 seconds go, Junpei explodes, dealing massive damage to himself and anyone near him, with the timer for the move slowly recharging on it's own when Red or Dead isn't used. Again, this is more of a nitpick than anything, everything else is damn perfect, did the series major justice!

Also here's my bingo card, change Switch Pro with Warioware, I made this before they confirmed it was exclusively software and I'm too damn lazy to recreate it
Screenshot_20210613-200555~2.png

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ah, now I'm seeing a bit more confidence in a double reveal. Good to see it.

But now everyone is talking about the Champions even after we kinda proved how it's not happening here, and yet all I see off of here is Champions.

Thanks Papa Genos for covering that kind of garbage. I miss when we had clear lines and we knew that some channels covered EVERYTHING and some covered only the stuff worth talking about.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Gonna be clocking out soon, so here are my quick and dirty predictions:
  1. New Smash fighter is Crash Bandicoot. Only one reveal. Other possible characters are Ryu Hayabusa or Dante. We're not seeing Doomguy, Master Chief or Sora.
  2. Zelda 35th anniversary dump. Ports of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, with a quick tease of BotW2 if we're lucky.
  3. New 2D Metroid game, hopefully a sequel to Fusion.
  4. New NSO console, either N64 or, more likely, Game Boy. First games include Super Mario Land, Tetris, Metroid II and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters.
  5. Random third party games, because there's always a couple of those.
  6. No information on Splatoon 3, likely saving that for the September Direct.
  7. No F-Zero, likely saving that for when hell freezes over. That way, we have a new F-Zero racetrack.
  8. Speaking of racing, no Mario Kart 9. New info on Mario Kart Tour is likely, however.
  9. A new IP in the same vein as Splatoon and ARMS that everyone will immediately beg to be put into Smash.
  10. No new Kirby or Yoshi game, because god hates us.
I could probably guess at more, but I think those are the main predictions I'm happy with. Anyways, see you lot tomorrow!

When they tell you you're getting nothing beforehand? Yes.
Well that's not their problem. They said what they were showing. They showed you what they said they would.
But they didn't do that, did they? I dunno mate, when I see a tweet like this:
...that tells us to tune in for their latest games lineup INCLUDING these four, including being the operative word here, I kind of get the impression that they're telling me they're going to be showing a little more than just those four things, especially when they host this during E3, the time of the year where everyone is anticipating new game reveals. If they really wanted me to expect nothing new they would've worded it differently.

It you didn't care about those things, you should have skipped it.
Okay listen, I know you really liked what was shown off and you think I'm just mad because it wasn't anything I was personally interested in, but my personal interest in the games shown has nothing to do with why I'm upset about the presentation. When I watched the Xbox presentation yesterday, for example, I knew damn well that pretty much nothing shown there would personally interest me. I don't own an Xbox console of any kind, and most 1st or 3rd person shooter games looks the same to me, especially when most of them are 4-player co-op zombie shooters.

But when the presentation was over and done with, I wasn't at all upset at what they showed us. On the contrary, I was rather pleased because they actually showed new games. They had the length of an average movie and they spent all of it showing off both their new projects as well as more information on already revealed games like Halo Infinite. I didn't go in with any special expectations, either, I went in expecting the same thing I did from every other E3 conference: New games.

It's one thing to hope for more. But if you were EXPECTING more, THAT'S 👏 ON 👏 YOU 👏.
If I go to a sandwich shop and buy a sandwich, and all they end up doing is chucking all of the ingredients into a paper bag, shake it up and hand it to me, was I wrong for expecting them to be capable of making me a sandwich? Am I then supposed to be happy merely because they had all the ingredients in that bag? There's nothing wrong about having expectations, especially when they're not particularly high to begin with. If CAPCOM really wanted to let me know that that was all they were showing, then maybe, just maybe, they should've outright said that in their tweet. It's not my fault whatsoever for expecting, at a minimum, slightly more than what they mentioned in their tweet.

Also, PUTTING 👏 CLAPPING 👏 EMOTES 👏 BETWEEN 👏 YOUR 👏 WORDS 👏 DOESN'T 👏 MAKE 👏 YOU 👏 MORE 👏 CORRECT 👏.

Shroob

Sup?

But now everyone is talking about the Champions even after we kinda proved how it's not happening here, and yet all I see off of here is Champions.

Thanks Papa Genos for covering that kind of garbage. I miss when we had clear lines and we knew that some channels covered EVERYTHING and some covered only the stuff worth talking about.
I mean, I'd argue that most people here specifically are neutral/extremely doubtful of the idea just because it seems wholly outlandish.

But what's done is done. The fact it's popping up in soo many places at once has people going crazy, can't really do anything about it at this point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

If DBFZ is any sign of things this will take a year to get shown but hey if Strive goes on Switch, you can use that for your fighting game fix when Smash's done, especially if crossplay ends up happening. Anyway Sol confirmed because I said so

SharkLord

Smash Hero

If DBFZ is any sign of things this will take a year to get shown but hey if Strive goes on Switch, you can use that for your fighting game fix when Smash's done, especially if crossplay ends up happening. Anyway Sol confirmed because I said so
Y'know this is really funny because this is the second time I was listening to Strive music when someone brought it up
I suppose this says something about the game's OST.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Gonna be clocking out soon, so here are my quick and dirty predictions:
  1. New Smash fighter is Crash Bandicoot. Only one reveal. Other possible characters are Ryu Hayabusa or Dante. We're not seeing Doomguy, Master Chief or Sora.
  2. Zelda 35th anniversary dump. Ports of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, with a quick tease of BotW2 if we're lucky.
  3. New 2D Metroid game, hopefully a sequel to Fusion.
  4. New NSO console, either N64 or, more likely, Game Boy. First games include Super Mario Land, Tetris, Metroid II and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters.
  5. Random third party games, because there's always a couple of those.
  6. No information on Splatoon 3, likely saving that for the September Direct.
  7. No F-Zero, likely saving that for when hell freezes over. That way, we have a new F-Zero racetrack.
  8. Speaking of racing, no Mario Kart 9. New info on Mario Kart Tour is likely, however.
  9. A new IP in the same vein as Splatoon and ARMS that everyone will immediately beg to be put into Smash.
  10. No new Kirby or Yoshi game, because god hates us.
I could probably guess at more, but I think those are the main predictions I'm happy with. Anyways, see you lot tomorrow!

But they didn't do that, did they? I dunno mate, when I see a tweet like this:
...that tells us to tune in for their latest games lineup INCLUDING these four, including being the operative word here, I kind of get the impression that they're telling me they're going to be showing a little more than just those four things, especially when they host this during E3, the time of the year where everyone is anticipating new game reveals. If they really wanted me to expect nothing new they would've worded it differently.

Okay listen, I know you really liked what was shown off and you think I'm just mad because it wasn't anything I was personally interested in, but my personal interest in the games shown has nothing to do with why I'm upset about the presentation. When I watched the Xbox presentation yesterday, for example, I knew damn well that pretty much nothing shown there would personally interest me. I don't own an Xbox console of any kind, and most 1st or 3rd person shooter games looks the same to me, especially when most of them are 4-player co-op zombie shooters.

But when the presentation was over and done with, I wasn't at all upset at what they showed us. On the contrary, I was rather pleased because they actually showed new games. They had the length of an average movie and they spent all of it showing off both their new projects as well as more information on already revealed games like Halo Infinite. I didn't go in with any special expectations, either, I went in expecting the same thing I did from every other E3 conference: New games.

If I go to a sandwich shop and buy a sandwich, and all they end up doing is chucking all of the ingredients into a paper bag, shake it up and hand it to me, was I wrong for expecting them to be capable of making me a sandwich? Am I then supposed to be happy merely because they had all the ingredients in that bag? There's nothing wrong about having expectations, especially when they're not particularly high to begin with. If CAPCOM really wanted to let me know that that was all they were showing, then maybe, just maybe, they should've outright said that in their tweet. It's not my fault whatsoever for expecting, at a minimum, slightly more than what they mentioned in their tweet.

Also, PUTTING 👏 CLAPPING 👏 EMOTES 👏 BETWEEN 👏 YOUR 👏 WORDS 👏 DOESN'T 👏 MAKE 👏 YOU 👏 MORE 👏 CORRECT 👏.
Technically they DID have more, but it was all Esports stuff that they could have announced in a tweet or two. It was pretty much a let down, but I also know that Capcom has EVO for what I care about, so while I always get hype and hope for that MvC4 button to be pushed when it ended up being as disappointing as it was I was pretty over it quickly. This is one of the things I don't understand about people who say 'Hype Responsibly': I hyped up way more than I probably should have, was wrong and let down, and I got over it in mere seconds. Not sure what the big deal is when you can own up to your own emotions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I do think we are getting a double reveal, as we've just had too much time pass with a team that is known for getting **** done.

As for who I want to see, obviously my boi Geno is pretty much all I want, so I can't really make two choices.

I think one of them will be a big name people have written off already, like Doom Guy or Hayabusa, and I'm leaning towards Hayabusa and Crash being the last two in terms of what I expect to see.

If I don't see a Smash reveal within the first three announcements, I will assume we only get one. Sure, we had a 50 min Direct that started with Smash and we only got one reveal, but that wasn't an E3 Direct which are meant to be more hype.

I also expect one Mario title of some sort, BotW2, and something from Pokemon since they have not said anything before this Direct.

My gut screams a new DK, but I'm not sure on if I should trust my gut today.

Hey guys, btw, E3 2019 was just over 40 mins and we got two reveals. I'm FEELING IT NOW SENOR KRABS! EDIT: It also started with a Smash reveal.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gimme ARMS 2
I'll pass, a brand new IP instead please.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I genuinely can’t remember having a run-in with any toxic Master Chief supporters. I think most people understand that even though things are probably better for him now than they’ve ever been, Halo x Smash is still a very lofty dream and all that.

It’s easy to forget as with Smash it often feels like the exception rather than the rule, but a big fanbase doesn’t always mean a toxic one. I have a feeling we’ll see some cool Microsoft announcement tomorrow no matter what, so hopefully it will give Halo fans something to be happy about one way or another.
I've seen one or two toxic Chief supporters at most. I've seen plenty of toxic supporters from Doom and TF2. You know it's bad when r/Doom mod had to ban Smash topic for awhile.

Shroob

Sup?
I've seen one or two toxic Chief supporters at most. I've seen plenty of toxic supporters from Doom and TF2. You know it's bad when r/Doom mod had to ban Smash topic for awhile.
To be fair, as a part of the TF2 community, most TF2 supporters are just actively ****posting because they have a strong, active community, so they can break fan-polls easily.

Anytime someone makes a fan poll, it'll reach the front page of the subreddit with a big "GO VOTE LOL" headliner.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't think it'll matter that much. The next 2 fighters are the last ones and most people get worried about Mii fighter costumes cause it basically deconfirms that characters chances. But being the last fighter is basically the ultimate deconfirmation for any character who isn't them. Unless they (and I highly doubt this) reveal that there will be even more fighters.
I want to know, because if my most wanteds don't end up in the FP, I at least want them as Miis.

Gimmie a Hayabusa Swordfighter. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean Gunners. Kunio/Riki Brawlers.

No, but it does underline the fact that you were being obtuse an ignoring the obvious.

tl;dr for the rest of your post.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Why did the Doom fans get so toxic? Was it because of the Metro Interview that deconfirmed him?

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
To be fair, as a part of the TF2 community, most TF2 supporters are just actively ****posting because they have a strong, active community, so they can break fan-polls easily.

Anytime someone makes a fan poll, it'll reach the front page of the subreddit with a big "GO VOTE LOL" headliner.
I visited r/tf2
It's amusing that there are so many Smash topics there.
Empty vessel makes the most sound.

Why did the Doom fans get so toxic? Was it because of the Metro Interview that deconfirmed him?
Nah... they were actually way more toxic before that interview. That interview pretty much killed momentum and hype.
It pretty much boils down to "grandfather of FPS" and "Nintendo history."

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Nah... they were actually way more toxic before that interview. That interview pretty much killed momentum and hype.
Ahhh, I see. Doom Slayer's popularity really blew up during the anniversary, and a lot of his fans aren't even aware that he was deconfirmed.
Probably one of the only times where Dragonborn getting little speculation presence was a good thing, or else we would've had another Banjo vs. Steve on our hands.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Honestly, it's nice to see people talking about the Champions. Kinda sad how one of the most successful and phenomenal Zelda games of all time offered us four potential Smash characters, and we could once again end up getting nothing from Zelda because of bad timing.

I don't think we're getting a Champion, but by all means, I'd love to be wrong.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, it just kinda dawned on me, and I hate to say that /v/ of all places made me realize.

But isn't this "4 champions lol" stuff literally just E32019.

There's a clear difference sure, but the idea is the same. Hero is 4 characters in one, albeit as skins, and The 4 Champs are, well, self-explanatory.

That feels WAY too on the nose to be real.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ya know, it just kinda dawned on me, and I hate to say that /v/ of all places made me realize.

But isn't this "4 champions lol" stuff literally just E32019.

There's a clear difference sure, but the idea is the same. Hero is 4 characters in one, albeit as skins, and The 4 Champs are, well, self-explanatory.

That feels WAY too on the nose to be real.
Doesn’t come across as intentional to me. I remember people speculating about a four-in-one character long before Hero or DLC in general was announced.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Since everyone's reminiscing about their time speculating, I might as well:

When Ultimate was first announced while I was asleep I was still a wee 12-year-old with no Switch and less than a year of Internet activity. Regardless, I was very excited. I saw the speculation over the silhouettes in front of the burning Smash logo, who else seemed likely to join and yes, the port vs sequel debates (I was always a sequel believer). For the first time, I was riding a game's hype train.

Imagine me when E3 2018 aired and formally revealed the game in its glory. I couldn't believe that not only was it a proper sequel, but every veteran ever to appear in the series was returning and :ultridley: was playable despite all the prior doubt. I was so hyped for the game I could hardly concentrate at school the next day, and to this day, it is still my most cherished gaming announcement. Not even BotW2 or :ultsteve: in Smash topped that.

From then, I watched lots of wishlist videos, kept up with the rumour mill and, of course, watched every Direct for the game. Though they don't come close to Everyone is Here, moments like the epic :ultsimon::ultrichter: dual reveal or the disconfirmation of the Grinch leak were still great. This continued post-release: after three weeks I finally bought a Switch (lol) with BotW and Smash, and proceeded to spend over 500 hours on the latter. I kept watching Directs and Mr. Sakurai Presentses (or Battling Withs as they're known in the UK), and from them had similarly cherished memories of :ultbanjokazooie: finally making it in after 20 years of requests, or :ultbyleth::ultbylethf: and :ultminmin dwindling my excitement only for :ultsteve: to break the Internet.

To say this has been a journey is... perfectly accurate, but that doesn't change how sentimental and bittersweet it is to see it end. I'm not going to bargain on it, though: I'm very much content with Ultimate ending the way it likely will this evening. Now wait as only one character is revealed tonight and this whole write-up is rendered worthless.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I feel like I’m the only person who is going to just be like “Meh. 🤷” if Crash Bandicoot is the character that’s revealed tomorrow. I played the games growing up, but I guess I just don’t hold the same affinity for it as others do. I don’t know. I just feeling like there are more interesting picks. If it happens, it happens, but I will not be on the hype train. Happy for his supporters yeah, but personally, no.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Gimme ARMS 2
Heck, I'd love to see an ARMS 2 and a new Pilotwings game. Hopefully, if the last two DLC get released it will be awesome. (My dream Smash fighter is a character from Pilotwings or Bandana Dee but a second SNK rep like Marco or a second Namco rep like Bravoman would be a nice unexpected addition.)

Shroob

Sup?
Doesn’t come across as intentional to me. I remember people speculating about a four-in-one character long before Hero or DLC in general was announced.
I'm more erring on the side of the leak being fake for a myriad of reasons.

It only dawned on me because someone on /v/ copy/pasted 2019's E3 presentation passing it off as a fake, and they masked the Hero presentation under the name "4 in one character", to the point that it actually fooled a handful of people, before people called it out for what it was.

2 "4 in 1"s at E3 is pretty sus.

Staarih

Smash Master
I can't believe we'll finally know at least the next character in, like, 9+ hours.
...and then be over them and back to normal the next day lol.

Odd that Sakurai hasn't retweeted any of the E3 stuff (has he?).
In before no Smash reveal

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I can't believe we'll finally know at least the next character in, like, 9+ hours.
...and then be over them and back to normal the next day lol.

Odd that Sakurai hasn't retweeted any of the E3 stuff (has he?).
In before no Smash reveal
He has not.

There's still 9 and a half hours to go, so he could retweet it at literally any moment.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and then be over them and back to normal the next day lol.
Nah, if only one character's revealed the thread will be like this for a few months:

"I think we could get a grand finale this time"
"WE NEVER DO!"
"BUT BAYO-"
"DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE CORRIN AND SMALLER IP"

Shroob

Sup?
Anyway, since no one's brought it up

But apparently Nintendo(Of Japan at least), does NOT want people live-streaming the Direct with the stream on camera, I think?

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
JzGDfst.jpg

It's been a rollercoaster, guys. I'm prepping myself for the remaining two characters to be revealed tomorrow and it's way too surreal to wrap my brain around. Ultimate has been such a huge part of my life these past few years and knowing that its most important content could be wrapped up in a few hours doesn't feel real. I still remember the goosebumps I got from "EVERYONE IS HERE", how blown my mind was when Ridley was actually announced, how stoked I was to see all the long-awaited Castlevania content, holding my breath for the Grinch leak to be proven real and the way my heart sank when I saw the trailer open on the Boxing Ring stage instead. And Banjo & Kazooie's reveal...man, I know it's dumb, but that's something that's gonna stick with me.

Anyway, I'm fully preparing myself for the two remaining fighters to be a new Pokemon and the rumored "Breath of the Wild Champions" (despite a 4-in-1 character sounding absolutely ridiculous), tempering any expectations and preparing for the worst. This E3 has been...um...bad, and there's no reason to believe that Nintendo will "save" it the way half the internet is expecting them to. I'm predicting that the final two Smash slots will be whimpers, not bangers. Just for my own sanity.

But hey, it's been a real ride. Can't say that this site has been the healthiest for me mentally these past couple of years, but it's certainly been...interesting.

I hope at least a majority of you have something revealed tomorrow that gets you hype. Patience is rarely rewarded, but it sometimes deserves to be. 2D Metroid, Oracle games remastered, the resurrection of another long-dead franchise (come on, Murasame Castle!), etc. Fingers crossed while hyping responsibly.

See you on the other side, good boys and girls.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

But apparently Nintendo(Of Japan at least), does NOT want people live-streaming the Direct with the stream on camera, I think?
Yeah, that sounds about right. The translate option isn't perfect, but the context feels correct.

Nintendo of America did not tweet something similar.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

They want to have an accurate number of how many people total have watched the stream. It's harder when you have to take other streamers watching it and reacting into consideration.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ultimate Speculation Memories:
I remember being hyped when the game was first announced!
I remember being hyped at EVERYONE IS HERE, but also pissed that Pokemon Trainer was still a transformation character.
I remember not caring about Ridley, but understanding why he was in.
I remember getting my most wanted, Simon!
I remember not caring about K. Rool, but understanding why he was in.
I remember being pissed at Incineroar instead of Decidueye.
I remember being pissed at Piranha Plant.
I remember not caring about Joker.
I remember getting another of most wanteds, Erdrick!
I remember not caring about Banjo, but understanding why he was in.
I remember being hyped about Terry!
I remember being pissed about Byleth.
I remember being hyped about Min Min!
I remember not caring about Steve, but understanding why he was in.
I remember being hyped about Sephiroth!
I remember being pissed about Pyra/Mythra.

Shroob

Sup?
So, does anyone have a link to the Direct?

I have a sinking suspicion if I fail to stay up for it, I'm going to sleep through it and the contents will be all over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom