• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
May I ask what makes some people believe this Dante+Demi-Fiend double reveal? Just curious is all.

I'm all down for Dante as he'd be a very fun character with moveset potential.
Dante had a cameo back in SMT Nocturne so it would make a great pairing together if they were to do a double reveal. In fact, that cameo appearance in Nocturne that happened was what caused the "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" meme.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dante had a cameo back in SMT Nocturne so it would make a great pairing together if they were to do a double reveal. In fact, that cameo appearance in Nocturne that happened was what caused the "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" meme.
Thought it also had something to do with their demon hertiages as well no?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
That was probably the original reason the cameo happened.
It was why Dante was chosen but the crossover itself was like a marketing tactic to get people overseas interested. And Kaneko, the artist on Nocturne collabed on Dante and Vergil's Devik Trigger designs in DMC 3. Crossovers like that rarely happened back in the day so it was a treat that I kinda wanna see happen in 5 lol. Imagine SMT V featuring Travis from the No More Heroes series.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It was why Dante was chosen but the crossover itself was like a marketing tactic to get people overseas interested. And Kaneko, the artist on Nocturne collabed on Dante and Vergil's Devik Trigger designs in DMC 3. Crossovers like that rarely happened back in the day so it was a treat that I kinda wanna see happen in 5 lol. Imagine SMT V featuring Travis from the No More Heroes series.
I was thinking Bayonetta for a new SMT crossover to be honest, I think she would fit better than Travis, though seeing him reacting to the demons and all the madness you can find in a SMT game would be very cool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Or just make this the trailer ;)

Ah yes the episode where those idiots insisted Bayonetta had human-durability despite being able to headbutt a skyscraper with ease and concluded Dante won because he was fast enough to cut raindrops which was from a cinematic cutscene. The fact they also overrated his regeneration to Deadpool's level. Impressive regeneration yes but nowhere close to that level. Shot in the forehead and stabbed through the chest impressive yes, come back when Dante can survive being completely decapitated or capable of regenerating limbs.

Bayonetta should have easily splattered him.

Last edited:

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Surprise, then amusement, then appreciation that he'd be the first black character in Smash that isn't an alt for someone else.
Ganondorf, Game and watch, and melee sheik are all "black." It's odd with sheik too but she definitely isnt light skinned in her first smash outing.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ganondorf, Game and watch, and melee sheik are all "black." It's odd with sheik too but she definitely isnt light skinned in her first smash outing.
I don’t remember that about Sheik. She always looked white to me but it’s been a while since I saw her Melee model.

12 AT mods in Ultimate.

I’ve definitely got to get around to modding Ultimate some day. I had such a blast with Brawl but I’m a little worried now with Nintendo’s increased security. I don’t want to screw something up and get banned.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Surprise, then amusement, then appreciation that he'd be the first black character in Smash that isn't an alt for someone else.
I don’t remember that about Sheik. She always looked white to me but it’s been a while since I saw her Melee model.
Well, Ganondorf and Sheik are Gerudo and Hylian pretending to be a Sheikah, respectively, none of which are part of the normal human species, and thus I don't think they qualify as being part of any real-life human race. As for Game & Watch, we don't know.

If you're looking for black characters in the Smash roster, we do have Steve (though his skin color is not consistent, and that his skin isn't that dark, I'd still think he's black (at least in his Smash appearance), since I've seen black people of a lighter shade of brown (well, it's mostly something I've seen in The Boondocks); or he could be biracial), so that's at least a start.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How would you guys classify Xehanort and Elma? I never really know whether they should count or not.

Technomage

Smash Champion
How would you guys classify Xehanort and Elma? I never really know whether they should count or not.
For Elma, since her tan-skin form is just a robot body, and that her original body has pale skin, I'd say she isn't truly black.

As for Xehanort, I'd say he's closer to orange, possibly even a white man with more of a tan.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about how if there's a reality where there's a bonus fighter and it turns out to be Mr. Sandman, then the Punch-Out opponent who's associated with the unlucky number of 13 would end up being the 13th DLC fighter.

Additional fun fact about Mr. Sandman and the number 13: The world record for beating Mr. Sandman in Super Punch-Out!! is 0'13"13.

Last edited:

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Skin color is just that. Skin color. Being gerudo, hylian, or a bug of dark matter bugs in the case of GnW, doesnt really matter. If you're looking for characters who are by default not white, there ya go. I'm glad that several characters have alts of varying skin tones, and wouldnt be opposed to more of that.

Melee sheik definitely was given the same texture as Ganondorf, but considering how little skin you see, it's moreso useless trivia now.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Now here's my question: Would you classify Rodin as truly black? He's not a human, he's a fallen angel turned demon. On the other hand, his angel form does retain traits of an African human (something that his demon form did not do, which is what started my unsureness of whether or not he's truly black).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you have to put it in quotation marks is it really the same thing

Just because you're not white doesn't mean you're black

And being tan isn't necessarily not being white

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
If you have to put it in quotation marks is it really the same thing

Just because you're not white doesn't mean you're black

And being tan isn't necessarily not being white
I put it in quotes because I'm aiming at identifying skin tones over calling someone black.

I really dont know what you're trying to call attention to here.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I put it in quotes because I'm aiming at identifying skin tones over calling someone black.
Yeah but neither Sheik nor Ganondorf is black or "black". I agree Ganondorf isn't white, but black isn't a catch-all for everything that isn't white. The original comment wasn't looking for characters who weren't white, it was looking for characters who were black, and I agree, outside of alts, we don't have that yet.

Whatever skin colour a character has personally doesn't affect my desire or lack thereof to see them included, but it's true there aren't any characters that are black by default. And I'd include Steve in that.

Technically G&W is coloured black, but he's also a direct transplant from a monochromatic lcd game. If you want to be very pedantic and annoyingly literal, I guess he counts, but most people generally see him as raceless.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'd love to see more people of color in Smash. No one really talks about that disparity in the game.
If we get more ARMS characters in the next game, Twintelle's one of my top choices.

1622828073719.png

Same goes for Elma and Xenoblade characters.

How To Unlock Elma In Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo Insider

And Shantae has always been my most wanted indie rep.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Whatever skin colour a character has personally doesn't affect my desire or lack thereof to see them included, but it's true there aren't any characters that are black by default. And I'd include Steve in that.
bro Steve is the epitome of black by default

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but neither Sheik not Ganondorf is black or "black". I agree Ganondorf isn't white, but black isn't a catch-all for everything that isn't white. The original comment wasn't looking for characters who weren't white, it was looking for characters who were black, and I agree, outside of alts, we don't have that yet.

Technically G&W is coloured black, but he's also a direct transplant from a monochromatic lcd game. If you want to be very pedantic and annoyingly literal, I guess he counts, but most people generally see him as raceless.
I stand by what I said. Default "black" characters are Ganondorf, melee sheik, and Game and Watch. Ganon is a gerudo sure, but in our world he is definitely a person of color. He hails from a desert. And if having a title such as Mister doesnt count someone as a person, idk what will. Whether they're gerudo,Indian, or literally an amalgamation of animations that default to the color black, they're all people of color.

What's it matter if Marth is asian, american, Cuban or anything else? Maybe Marth is an albino in his world and instead of red hair they have blue.

Really it is all pointless but we do in fact have default POC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I stand by what I said. Default "black" characters are Ganondorf, melee sheik, and Game and Watch. Ganon is a gerudo sure, but in our world he is definitely a person of color. He hails from a desert. And if having a title such as Mister doesnt count someone as a person, idk what will. Whether they're gerudo,Indian, or literally an amalgamation of animations that default to the color black, they're all people of color.

What's it matter if Marth is asian, american, Cuban or anything else? Maybe Marth is an albino in his world and instead of red hair they have blue.

Really it is all pointless but we do in fact have default POC.
You're using black and PoC interchangeably here... those aren't the same thing.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Race is kind of weird when you kind of think about it. Race is like a Mixture of both your Actual Skin Color, plus the nationality, and it can sometimes make it hard to tell actual races and stuff

Like I would Say Steve is darker Skin toned, but his actual race is unknown. I kind of see him as Middle Eastern, but I think Steve was meant to be ambiguous

In any case, I think Having Representation is important in that it allows more Audience to relate to more Diverse cast. I don't think it should overtake the more important aspects like Popularity and uniqueness of the character, but I still think it's an aspect that should be thought about

We technically already have POC representation in Smash. Ryu and Joker are canonically Japanese, and some characters have skin tone alts.
Min Min is also Chinese, our first one in Smash.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
You're using black and PoC interchangeably here... those aren't the same thing.
Yeah they are. People of color. Someone who isn't pale white, even though that's a color. Either way I was right.

It doesnt matter if someone's japanese,African, Cuban or whatever. They can be pale white or have very dark skin. Just their skin tone.

And much like someone said above, if japanese count as people of color, then we've had plenty of that since day 1.

If you want to see characters that look like you, more power to ya. But you seem to be missing all the points and you already called me annoying and pedantic, which is fine by me. If I annoy you that's great, honestly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah they are. People of color. Someone who isn't pale white, even though that's a color. Either way I was right.

It doesnt matter if someone's japanese,African, Cuban or whatever. They can be pale white or have very dark skin. Just their skin tone.

And much like someone said above, if japanese count as people of color, then we've had plenty of that since day 1.

If you want to see characters that look like you, more power to ya. But you seem to be missing all the points and you already called me annoying and pedantic, which is fine by me. If I annoy you that's great, honestly.
No they aren't. Black is a race, PoC is an umbrella term for people who aren't white. People who are black are PoC, but not everyone who is a PoC is black. For example, ethnically Indian people are PoC, but they're not black.

Kinda weird to be calling everyone who isn't white black, ngl.

D

Deleted member

If we were to get an SONY (unlikey as hell) character, who'd you want?
I don’t think it’s that unlikely. I mean, when Cloud joined he was essentially viewed as a Sony rep, but if I had my pick, then I’d say any of their Ps2 era mascots would be perfect; Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, or Ratchet & Clank.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Keep in mind that over 90% of the characters in Smash or in speculation are from Fantasy Worlds and don't fit well into our ideas of race or racial representation.

I would say most of the cast isn't even human but is rather designed to be more like animals or some other non-human form.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Ah yes the episode where those idiots insisted Bayonetta had human-durability despite being able to headbutt a skyscraper with ease and concluded Dante won because he was fast enough to cut raindrops which was from a cinematic cutscene. The fact they also overrated his regeneration to Deadpool's level. Impressive regeneration yes but nowhere close to that level. Shot in the forehead and stabbed through the chest impressive yes, come back when Dante can survive being completely decapitated or capable of regenerating limbs.

Bayonetta should have easily splattered him.
A little too late but uhh, are you joking? That's not nice to call someone an idiot when you still doubting that rain-slicing cutscene as not canon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom