• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
@ZelDan pretty much covered it for me. My top pick would be Isaac by far. Followed closely by Dixie and Impa.

After that I mostly would like to see any character that reps a an unrepped 1st party series. Andy or Sami, Takamaru, Chibi-Robo, Lip, and so on...

Though other characters would be just fine too, like Octolings, Elma, Krystal, or a Kirby character. But I wouldn't say I would be hype for them exactly.

Other characters that have literally no chance that I would be hyped for include Captain Syrup, Tingle, and Mallo (the adorable guy from Pushmo).
In all seriousness I do think Pete would make for a cool Terry-esque type character inclusion. One that comes out of left field for most, is from an unrepped company, from a series important and relevant to Nintendo, who has actually been requested in the past, and from a series that the Switch specifically is getting a lot of support from (2 exclusives in the series for Switch so far, plus 2 remakes). It wouldn't even be the first time that Nintendo did a crossover with Story of Seasons.

I don't have any confidence that it will actually happen of course, but I do think that it would be one of those choices that makes some sense in retrospect. Though, I will say that I find it surprising that we haven't gotten a spirit event for Pioneers of Olive Town. Then again maybe one was planned but cancelled after the mixed reception of the game. Maybe we could get one for Rune Factory 5 once it gets released in the West? Or maybe that kind of crossover just wasn't seen as worth it? I dunno. Just seems like something they might want to capitalize on given the relatively fewer 3rd party exclusives that the Switch gets. It clearly isn't huge, but it is something. And the series IS influential, even if not as relevant today. But hey I (and others) want characters like Bomberman and frankly he isn't too relevant anymore either lol

Incidentally, I do suspect that we will get a Western release date for Rune Factory 5 at E3 if nothing else.

Anyway, the short of it is, I do still think it's possible. I don't think it's likely. But IF it did happen I suspect that it would be seen, like Terry, as one that makes sense in hindsight. And I hope that if nothing else, we can get a spirit event or something. Really just anything lol. It feels conspicuously absent to me.

/End of old man rambling. :bobomb:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So question

If my Prediction came true, how would Smash speculation take it?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In all seriousness I do think Pete would make for a cool Terry-esque type character inclusion. One that comes out of left field for most, is from an unrepped company, from a series important and relevant to Nintendo, who has actually been requested in the past, and from a series that the Switch specifically is getting a lot of support from (2 exclusives in the series for Switch so far, plus 2 remakes). It wouldn't even be the first time that Nintendo did a crossover with Story of Seasons.
I’m glad to hear someone else suggest this because it’s been on my mind for a little bit now too, for all the reasons you mentioned. I’m honestly shocked it comes up so little in discussion for how longstanding and significant the series is.

Well, I guess it makes sense due to the more lowkey nature of the series. But still, absolutely worth some attention and big props for throwing it out there. It’s such an “oh, duh” idea ripe for the obligatory unexpected but makes-sense-in-retrospect sort of pick that most people are totally expecting anyway.

My only hangup would be that it took Animal Crossing a bit to be properly realized in Smash, and while that’s definitely not an issue anymore it might make it hard to envision how Pete could work in Smash and what unique direction he could be taken. I don’t know too much about the series though, so maybe someone who does can throw some ideas my way. I think I could really get behind this character.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I’m glad to hear someone else suggest this because it’s been on my mind for a little bit now too, for all the reasons you mentioned. I’m honestly shocked it comes up so little in discussion for how longstanding and significant the series is.

Well, I guess it makes sense due to the more lowkey nature of the series. But still, absolutely worth some attention and big props for throwing it out there. It’s such an “oh, duh” idea ripe for the obligatory unexpected but makes-sense-in-retrospect sort of pick that most people are totally expecting anyway.

My only hangup would be that it took Animal Crossing a bit to be properly realized in Smash, and while that’s definitely not an issue anymore it might make it hard to envision how Pete could work in Smash and what unique direction he could be taken. I don’t know too much about the series though, so maybe someone who does can throw some ideas my way. I think I could really get behind this character.
I’m certainly no game designer, so I don’t know what they would do to make the character especially unique. But certainly there are a lot of things that the character could use for a move set. The tools being the most obvious ones. Sickle, hoe, hammer, and while it wouldn’t be unique to him the fishing rod as well. Perhaps even the shears? Lol

The move set could incorporate animals as well. Perhaps a side b of charging across the screen on his horse.

More unique things could be something that actually involves the farming. So maybe growing crops of the field. Either as power ups or hazards of some sort (not totally sure how you would use that as a hazard. Maybe you pick up the crop and use it as a throw item?).

Or he could have some sort of seasons mechanic to tie into his move set. So like as time passes in a match, he has a season gauge that cycles through spring, summer, fall, and winter. Which then affect specials. Perhaps what grows with the planting ability, which animal you ride with side be. Stuff like that?

If they wanted to branch out and reference games that Pete wasn’t technically in, the animal whistle from Animal parade would be interesting. Letting you summon an elephant, Hippo, Griaffe, and/or Pig for... reasons. 😂

Or if they don’t want to go that route (or maybe marvelous doesn’t want Story of Seasons characters fighting) they could also just opt for a Rune Factory rep, in which case more typical combat and magic attacks would apply. Along with monster summoning and the odd farming reference.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
SMT V at E3, time for a direct repeat of 2019, smash trailer, then SMT trailer. This is the only character I want who feels genuinely likely now. Even if there isn't an SMT character in smash, there's still going to be SMT V stuff, so I'm happy either way. Hee, and I cannot express this enough, Ho.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I’m certainly no game designer, so I don’t know what they would do to make the character especially unique. But certainly there are a lot of things that the character could use for a move set. The tools being the most obvious ones. Sickle, hoe, hammer, and while it wouldn’t be unique to him the fishing rod as well. Perhaps even the shears? Lol

The move set could incorporate animals as well. Perhaps a side b of charging across the screen on his horse.

More unique things could be something that actually involves the farming. So maybe growing crops of the field. Either as power ups or hazards of some sort (not totally sure how you would use that as a hazard. Maybe you pick up the crop and use it as a throw item?).

Or he could have some sort of seasons mechanic to tie into his move set. So like as time passes in a match, he has a season gauge that cycles through spring, summer, fall, and winter. Which then affect specials. Perhaps what grows with the planting ability, which animal you ride with side be. Stuff like that?

If they wanted to branch out and reference games that Pete wasn’t technically in, the animal whistle from Animal parade would be interesting. Letting you summon an elephant, Hippo, Griaffe, and/or Pig for... reasons. 😂

Or if they don’t want to go that route (or maybe marvelous doesn’t want Story of Seasons characters fighting) they could also just opt for a Rune Factory rep, in which case more typical combat and magic attacks would apply. Along with monster summoning and the odd farming reference.
I'm okay with either Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons or Rune Factory getting a new fighter, but the fact that there's one particular Marvelous franchise I absolutely adore makes me just the slightest bit biased against them. Not too the point where I'd cry over it, anyway, I actually have a life outside of games.
Still, the ideas you guys have been pumping out sound like a lot of fun. I guess only time will tell if things look on an up for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just realized that I want both characters to have crossed over in the past, being owned by Capcom and Sega respectively while having a surprising amount of overlap.

KIRYU VS NICK: BATTLE OF THE DADS
Throw Bowser and Chrom in there too for a free for all battle.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

SMTV confirmed for E3.

Hmm, a recent entry in a long-standing JRPG being shown off at Nintendo's E3? Where have I seen this before...
View attachment 317758
My Dante + Demi-fiend double reveal theory I posted a few days ago has just been getting more and more likely, even though I posted that as a joke.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So is everyone going to ignore the fact that everyone assumed this non-existent switch pro was supposed to be announced at midnight? Twitter sure has forgotten fast lol
I've given up believing the Switch Pro will be a thing. It now seems like the only reason people really want one is to have their cake and eat it too: Get every AAA multiplat ported without worse graphics and choppy framerate.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So is everyone going to ignore the fact that everyone assumed this non-existent switch pro was supposed to be announced at midnight? Twitter sure has forgotten fast lol
The switch pro is a thing, I know that Square has/had things to announce this E3 for the Switch Pro, and seems that lots of third parties too, but Nintendo doesn't announce anything yet.
There's also the fact that the console is being manufactured this month/next month, by economics experts (so like, no random insiders) which lead to like, a very tiny windows of announcement.

Which is why people in the industry expected an announcement soon.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Wasn't the rationale based on rumours from retailers that pre-orders would be going up on the 4th?

In that case, I could see Nintendo announcing the Switch Pro today, assuming they didn't mean Japan's June 4th.

Either way, the Switch Pro has become the new Super Mario 3D All-Stars, a cool idea but poorly kept secret that I really, really just want to see Nintendo actually show by this point.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think it's a thing but it's way too early to announce it. Nintendo only announces consoles a month or two prior to release and the Switch is still selling too well to drop a console in mid-August. I'm thinking a July reveal at the earliest

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
That seems absurdly doubtful tbh.
I mean, we don't know what's the real situation yet. I want to believe ...

Don't worry my man Dante will fix that at E3.

At first, I didn't like Dante but now I actually kinda want him.
Bayo's in the game, and Dante's another big name Hack n Slash character, also his personality would be based and sassy-chill.
Devil Trigger from DMC5... please come into the game

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If E3 starts with this smash newcomer trailer wyd?
It’s probably gonna destroy all the leaks and speculation
I'd be excited; if his Title Defense appearance is available as a second costume (or if his moveset takes inspiration from that fight), it's probably the closest we'll get to having Mike Tyson playable in Smash. (he plays a similar role in the story, as seen in the above clip, and he borrows a lot of moves from Mike Tyson, like winking before punching, or a long series of uppercuts) Plus, it seems like it would be relatively easy to give Punch-Out a second character.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we were to get an SONY (unlikey as hell) character, who'd you want?
Either Kratos or Ratchet.

At first, I didn't like Dante but now I actually kinda want him.
Bayo's in the game, and Dante's another big name Hack n Slash character, also his personality would be based and sassy-chill.
Devil Trigger from DMC5... please come into the game
Well DMC basically originated the hack n slash genre. I'd say he's definitely the biggest name in the genre, unless we're counting Kratos.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'll say this real quick:
One day, I think we WILL get one of their characters in Smash, and not something like PSASBR2.

Now to answer your question:
Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy, and Kratos.

I've noticed a little pattern where when a new company is getting repped, their platformer icons tend to join first, so someone like Sackboy might get in before Kratos.

Either Kratos or Ratchet.

Well DMC basically originated the hack n slash genre. I'd say he's definitely the biggest name in the genre, unless we're counting Kratos.
Right, lol
Bayo, Dante, Kratos...

Diablo, too, to an extent

volbound1700

Smash Master
To be fair, 50% of FPS #2 as new additions: Min Min and Steve. Sure Min Min's franchise had Mii Costumes and Spirits but there was no character or level rep.

I do see the annoyance though with Byleth and Mythra/Pyra. I am very torn about Seph. He is very ICONIC and the FF7 representation felt half-baked until he was added to complete it. However, he wasn't a NEW franchise and took the spot of a potential NEW franchise. You could probably argue both ways for him and I would agree. The biggest missed opportunity with his reveal was the lack of content and music tracks from other FF games. Sephiroth should have been a base game character. Could you imagine the hype at the December direct if he had been announced with Incineroar and Ken? The Incineroar/Ken announcement felt bland because most leakers predicted there appearance and the Grinch leak ended up being bogus. However, adding Seph in with them would have killed it and been a very high note for the last base game presentation.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
What would a standalone Dante trailer be like?

I DID have this one fun idea of having him and Terry ride side by side in their motorcycles into the distance at the end of this hypothetical trailer lmao

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ratchet and Clank - I haven't played a ton of Sony games (mainly God of War 1 and Ratchet and Clank 1), but I think they'd fit pretty well from a design/tone standpoint, and from what little I've seen of the series, there are a lot of weapons (both melee and ranged) that could be worked with. (plus, they've consistently been on PlayStation consoles since the PS2, and they're popular enough to get their own movie)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To be fair, 50% of FPS #2 as new additions: Min Min and Steve. Sure Min Min's franchise had Mii Costumes and Spirits but there was no character or level rep.

I do see the annoyance though with Byleth and Mythra/Pyra. I am very torn about Seph. He is very ICONIC and the FF7 representation felt half-baked until he was added to complete it. However, he wasn't a NEW franchise and took the spot of a potential NEW franchise. You could probably argue both ways for him and I would agree. The biggest missed opportunity with his reveal was the lack of content and music tracks from other FF games. Sephiroth should have been a base game character. Could you imagine the hype at the December direct if he had been announced with Incineroar and Ken? The Incineroar/Ken announcement felt bland because most leakers predicted there appearance and the Grinch leak ended up being bogus. However, adding Seph in with them would have killed it and been a very high note for the last base game presentation.
Characters are not stealing or taking spots from others. We know, according to Sakurai, that so far he has never rejected a character proposal from Nintendo, so the only way for a character to have "stolen" the spot of another one would be if a third party didn't wanted to give their character and rejected Nintendo's proposal, and in that scenario, Nintendo would have to found another name.

If Nintendo got Sephiroth it's probably because they wanted Sephiroth since the first moment, not because they wanted Geno, Lara Croft or Neku, approached Square, then got rejected and forced to pick Sephiroth because Square said so.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'll say this real quick:
One day, I think we WILL get one of their characters in Smash, and not something like PSASBR2.

Now to answer your question:
Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy, and Kratos.

I've noticed a little pattern where when a new company is getting repped, their platformer icons tend to join first, so someone like Sackboy might get in before Kratos.

Right, lol
Bayo, Dante, Kratos...

Diablo, too, to an extent
Diablo is the #1 Hack-in-Slash IP and it isn't even close. The problem, though, is that Diablo is primarily PC (this board is for console games), doesn't really have a titular character like Dante or Kratos, and its heyday was late 90s and early 2000s.

I am a HUGE Diablo fan but would not want a character or stage. It would be hard to fit it in Smash. It would be cool to get a spirit or two or an AT. Dante and Kratos would both be better options over Diablo but I would say that OVERALL, Diablo is a bigger franchise and might have been the starting point of that style of gameplay (there were similar games going back to even the 1980s that were NOT very popular).

BTW, here is a great video on the creation of Diablo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPF3Gid7DE

The main creator originally wanted it to be classic style RPG when you ran into villains and Blizzard suggested a changing it to live action combat. There was resistance originally by Blizzard North but once it was implemented, everyone loved the new style, even the original critics (including the guy describing the video which is the lead creator).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What would a standalone Dante trailer be like?

I DID have this one fun idea of having him and Terry ride side by side in their motorcycles into the distance at the end of this hypothetical trailer lmao
I feel like Bayonetta would have to be involved in some way - I wrote up my idea for a trailer earlier, but maybe both of them could take on some big darkness-themed threat like Dracula or Dharkon?

Either way, it's a crossover between Bayonetta and Dante, and while that wouldn't be the first time that it happened (it previously happened in a Shin Megami Tensei mobile game), it still seems like it would be a big deal for fans of the genre and something that should be emphasized. (especially when a Smash trailer could actually have them interact, which wouldn't be an option for a gacha game where both of them are part of limited-time events)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom