• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I don't mean to go off topic, But I had a theory I wanted to share. Feel free to read.

The Pokeball Theory

This theory states that the Bonus slot thing, is actually for Gen 8 Pokeballs. This would go along with other things, like how

-Sakurai keeps insisting there are only 2 Fighters (so no Bonus)
-Why this is exclusive to FP2 (Meaning no relation to FP1)
-Why it wasn't announced Intially (because of reasons I get into later on)

If there is Bonus Content, technically there isn't any substantial evidence that points towards Pokeballs more than something like a Bonus character or Stage. at least compared to a character though, the biggest thing in favor of the Bonus Content being Pokeballs instead of a character is that Pokeballs wouldn't invalidate the statements that Sakurai has made

When Every Generation of Pokemon is added, they usually come with Pokeballs, even if that Generation doesn't get an actual Fighter (Gen 3 and 5).

DLC does add a different layer since history shows that Items aren't prioritized, as there hasn't been Assist Trophies added for any of the New DLC Franchises

With that being said, there may be more importance in representing the Pokeballs, considering the type of Franchise Pokemon is. Plus with Nintendo owning part of the Pokemon Franchise, it's easier to be able to add in Item characters than with 3rd parties. Remember that Assists still require 3rd party intervention to add in

The reason I could see Pokeballs being added though is that it might be the wish of the other I.P Owners of Pokemon: Gamefreak and Creatures.Inc. Even if it might not intially be seen as the highest priority, if Nintendo wished to represent the Generation in the best limelight, they might want Full Pokeballs

If this theory happened to be right, and the Bonus Content was for Pokeballs, then it might likely Imply a Gen 8 Pokemon character as one of the Final 2 Fighters

Technically Pokeballs could be their own thing and won't have relation to the Final 2 Fighters. However as Making Pokeballs would take time away from the other Fighters, I do Imagine they would make this sort of content if this content was for one the Fighters in the game. however it's up to interpretation into proved otherwise

So the Sword and Shield event came very close to the actual release to the game, like around a Week after the game came out. the reason there wasn't a Spirit Event on the day the game came out was because that week was Tourney week, and that week was the Sword and Shield Tourney event

If you compare this to other Nintendo I.P's that got spirit events, they got their spirit events like months after the game came out. Paper Mario, Astral Chain, Ring Fit, Bowser's Fury, and Age of Calamity are examples

One thing you notice though is that with 3rd party I.Ps like Trials of Mana, Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter Rise, and Daemon X Machina (Kinda), their Spirit events come out within a week of the game's reveals, same deal as with Pokemon

Remember that Nintendo actually doesn't 100% own Pokemon. they share the rights with Gamefreak and Creatures.Inc in a 33% split. This means that Nintendo will have to compromise with the demands of the other 2 entities

So an Argument I could see is that even in the case a Pokemon Fighter was in the cards, Gamefreak and/or Creatures.Inc wanted to immediately promote the game to make sure that as many people know the Pokemon game is out, including Smash players. That would be part of the reason we got the Spirit Event and the Tourney event near when the game came out. Even I noticed that the Pokemon Spirit Event seemed to be more promotion based than usual in nature, and that was part of why part of me is hesitant in calling Pokemon deconfirmed from the Spirit event

https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_Spirit_Board_events

https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_Event_Tourneys

While Fire Emblem 3 Houses had 3rd party help, Nintendo 100% owns the I.P to Fire Emblem, unlike Pokemon, so they are free to promote it in their own way

Now there still may be some holes. in Particular, the Team Rocket Mii Costume might have been better placed with Terry's Pack since that was closer to the actual release to the game. However being in Banjo's Pack might have been safer in the case development on Terry went longer than expected

So in terms of Promoting Sword and Shield, If a Gen 8 Pokemon was in this pass, than Gen 8 Pokemon would have been better placed earlier in the Pass, in terms of either being CP6, CP7, or CP8. as Sword and Shield appears to be finished with DLC content, Gen 8 Pokemon wouldn't work very well as a Promotion based pick, especially since there are the Remakes and Pokemon Arceus

with that being said, Gen 8 Pokemon, if Added, might not be added on the basis of promotion. Instead, they may be added in in order to Represent the Pokemon Generation that Switch Players would be very familiar with.

Incineroar was added into the Base roster of Smash Ultimate despite Sun and Moon being outdated by the time Ultimate was coming out. Like with Every Generation of Pokemon though, It garnered some new fans to Pokemon, and It sold Millions and Millions of Copies, over 16 Million

Sword and Shield is a Similar case. despite the backlash to the game, especially from older fans, the game gained a lot of new fans from the Switch player base, and the game has now sold over 20 Million Copies

While the Base Roster and DLC Roster work differently in how the characters are chosen, Gen 8 Pokemon still abides well with how Nintendo chooses the DLC. Sword and Shield is a very popular game, that is very Familiar to the Switch Audience, and (Kinda) has new audience to appeal to. A Gen 8 Pokemon is a very safe choice for Nintendo to make regarding the DLC

As for why Pokemon would be among the last characters, as Sword and Shield came out in 2019, and with the history of how Pokemon were chosen in the past (with having slots reserved), They were probably the last characters to be finalized, and other FP2 Fighters might have had their concepts more finalized and ready to go compared to Pokemon. More importantly, if Pokeballs are a thing that would be coming with a Gen 8 Fighter, that is more work than usual to do, since Pokeballs have to be created

The 2010's tourney is still missing, despite FP2 getting 3 characters that have originated in the 2010s (Steve is counted by his 2011 Java release). Gen 8 Pokemon would obviously also add to that number

Interestingly, we also missing Fire Theory, despite there being alot of characters with Fire Moves (Including in this Pass). There's also Swordfighter Tourney (or maybe Weapon tourney) still missing. Keep these in mind

-The Bonus content might be Gen 8 Pokeballs, to better represent the generation when added for FP2, like it has for older generations in the past

-This would likely imply a Gen 8 Pokemon, since if they making the effort to add in Pokeballs, they more likely add it in relation to a Fighter, instead of no relation

-The Spirit board, tourney event, Mii Costume have been more promotional in nature compared to other 1st Party I.P events, and that's because Nintendo doesn't 100% own Pokemon. The other Rights holders might have wanted these events near when the game came out, or when Pokemon is celebrating something, even in a situation where a Pokemon Newcomer is coming later

-Gen 8 Pokemon wouldn't be added mainly to promote the Sword and Shield game, but to represent the New generation of Pokemon that has resonated with Switch Users

-Tourney theory adds to this, with 2010's Tourney being missing. also other Tourneys like Fire Tourney and Swordfighter/Weapon tourney

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Wow that Switch Pro reveal was amazing! And they even had Star Fox Grand Prix as an exclusive and it looks so good....... oh wait.

But for real, I do think that the "Switch Pro" is actually leakbait from Nintendo like with Star Fox Grand Prix. There likely is another model coming eventually but it will be nothing like what "Insiders" are saying.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wow that Switch Pro reveal was amazing! And they even had Star Fox Grand Prix exclusive looks so good....... oh wait.

But for real, I do think that the "Switch Pro" is actually leakbait from Nintendo like with Star Fox Grand Prix. There likely is a another model coming eventually but it will be nothing like what "Insiders" are saying.
Yeah and what ever happened with that Mario All-Stars Anniversary game they were all talking about? Vaporware!

Be patient. Every Nintendo handheld has had a more advanced revision since literally the Game Boy. There are a myriad of retailer leaks listing it in their systems. It will show up, and we can see how closely it aligns to what's being claimed.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can't believe Vergil is taunting Dante about not being in Smash, how could he do this?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I can't believe Vergil is taunting Dante about not being in Smash, how could he do this?
Can we all agree Dan Southworth should be protected at all costs? Guy's freakin' hilarious.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Wow that Switch Pro reveal was amazing! And they even had Star Fox Grand Prix as an exclusive and it looks so good....... oh wait.

But for real, I do think that the "Switch Pro" is actually leakbait from Nintendo like with Star Fox Grand Prix. There likely is another model coming eventually but it will be nothing like what "Insiders" are saying.
I mean the evidence for there being a Switch pro is there. Samsung is pushing a new OLED screen that is ~ 7 inches. That is way too big for a phone but smaller than most contemporary tablets. Odds are it is going to end up in the Switch pro...

Eventually. Honestly I would bet on the Switch pro being out next year. This is giving me vibes of when everyone was predicting 3DS models way before they would come out. Likely the murmors of the specs have been floated, but it won't be ready till 2022.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Just bought Persona 5 Strikers (without ever having played the original P5 lol) and I had a thought: if Persona 5 (Royal or not) got ported to Switch, do you think they'd add compatibility with the Joker amiibo? It sounds like a given to me, but Strikers doesn't seem to have amiibo functionality, so I'm not sure.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just bought Persona 5 Strikers (without ever having played the original P5 lol) and I had a thought: if Persona 5 (Royal or not) got ported to Switch, do you think they'd add compatibility with the Joker amiibo? It sounds like a given to me, but Strikers doesn't seem to have amiibo functionality, so I'm not sure.
Considering DRAGON QUEST® XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age™ - Definitive Edition doesn't have any amiibo support, I don't imagine a hypothetical P5 port will either.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
"Oh crap, maybe he got the pink color mixed up and we have a more definitive color now."

False alarm

View attachment 317811
Same. I think part of the reason for the pink is because if you look at all the other calculated colors, they have more of a white tinge to them. Implying maybe the equation is giving them bigger RGB values than they should?

I think what I'll do is calculate all values for existing DLC fighters (with their data omitted of course) and figure out if they have that white tinge too.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
I'm personally hoping for one 1st party and one 3rd party. At this point, I don't really care who. The characters I wanted the most for Ultimate already got in, and I'm pretty content with the roster overall.

For a first party character, I'd like to see a character from an already represented franchise. Lots of them can be rounded out a bit more. To be specific, I'd like to see reps from:
  • :ultdk:
  • :ultkirby:
  • :ultwario:
  • :ultlink:
  • :ultlittlemac:
  • :ultfalcon:
I wouldn't be opposed to a retro rep from a new franchise, but I'm more ambivalent about characters that are simply prominent on the Switch. Many of the first party choices from Ultimate and Sm4sh feel more like advertising current games as opposed to meaningful choices, but I suppose that's simply the nature of DLC at the end of the day...

As for third party characters, I'd love to see a character from a new franchise. A franchise that would really make the community explode as opposed to being expected like Crash (still a good pick, but I'm talking about my ideal scenario here). I'm talking like Kratos and Sora, characters that aren't really on anyone's radar right now. Lara Croft also fits into this category...

I'm gonna end this post before I keep rambling on.
1st Party: Porky(Earthbound)
3rd Party: Heavy(Team Fortress 2)

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Same. I think part of the reason for the pink is because if you look at all the other calculated colors, they have more of a white tinge to them. Implying maybe the equation is giving them bigger RGB values than they should?

I think what I'll do is calculate all values for existing DLC fighters (with their data omitted of course) and figure out if they have that white tinge too.
Pink is rarely used. So it's probably light red since those two colours can be confused with each other. Also while we're talking about colors right now I find it interesting in the color spectrum in general that Red is that sole colour that changes color when mixing in white. Rather than it just being a lighter varient of the original color.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
The last 10 years or so, Crash has appeared just as much or more on Nintendo consoles than Sony consoles. Similar situation with Rayman.
Ubisoft has been chummy with Nintendo in general recently. Putting Rayman aside, I'm surprised we don't have a Rabbids AT or something beyond just an AC Mii Costume.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ubisoft has been chummy with Nintendo in general recently. Putting Rayman aside, I'm surprised we don't have a Rabbids AT or something beyond just an AC Mii Costume.
A lot of people are hoping that the missing content might be related to Rayman being a Fighter in the pass. We will see.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
A lot of people are hoping that the missing content might be related to Rayman being a Fighter in the pass. We will see.
You know, funny how people bring that up in regard with Rayman, but nothing about Vault Boy and anything also Bethesda owns.

They were one of the first to support the Switch in terms of first party. Fallout isn't even their most beloved series, in fact it's their most notorious.

Just making sure you all keep your eyes open. These last two spots really are up for grabs between any number of characters.

They also showed the same thing for the Splatoon 3 trailer and it wasn't smash.
Congrats, you get the joke...I think.

The point of the joke is that whenever the text 'Not Actual Gameply Footage' shows up, Smash fans lose their ****, even if it ends up having nothing to do with Smash later on.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not actual gameplay footage means some hype **** is about to go down though
I agree, I just know how the Smash fandom thinks everything ever has to do with Smash, thus I made fun of it both in that light and in the fact that there is truth to it.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I had a theory about P5 on the back of my mind. I've noticed that Joker's Smash page doesn't advertise P5 Strikers despite several other characters on the roster saying what game they are from. The only omissions were Banjo and Plant but Plant at some point updated for the 35th anniversary event to say that they came from Super Mario Bros. and links to the Mario page on the Nintendo site.

So crack theory for all y'all Persona fans, I just thought that perhaps they haven't updated the page because P5 Royal will come out to which it would be more appropriate to update Joker's Smash page for than the sequel spin-off.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I had a theory about P5 on the back of my mind. I've noticed that Joker's Smash page doesn't advertise P5 Strikers despite several other characters on the roster saying what game they are from. The only omissions were Banjo and Plant but Plant at some point updated for the 35th anniversary event to say that they came from Super Mario Bros. and links to the Mario page on the Nintendo site.

So crack theory for all y'all Persona fans, I just thought that perhaps they haven't updated the page because P5 Royal will come out to which it would be more appropriate to update Joker's Smash page for than the sequel spin-off.
If that's the case, could it be a loose-ends addition for that "Jane" character dataminers unearthed?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Pink is rarely used. So it's probably light red since those two colours can be confused with each other. Also while we're talking about colors right now I find it interesting in the color spectrum in general that Red is that sole colour that changes color when mixing in white. Rather than it just being a lighter varient of the original color.
Funny thing is that I just watched a video that relates to that topic.

TLDR, not every culture has the same names for colors that english does (some languages only have dedicated names for black/white/red , and romance languages consider light blue it's own thing (called "celeste"). A few hundred years ago, someone looked at a light red thing and declared it "pink" and we all went with it, I guess. The crazier thing is that the brain actually makes a bigger distinction between colors if it has a unique name for them. I didn't explain this very well, so if you want a good explanation watch the video.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If that's the case, could it be a loose-ends addition for that "Jane" character dataminers unearthed?
Personally, I think Jane is leftover code for Kasumi except not exactly the Kasumi we know. I'm of the opinion Kasumi Yoshizawa was at one point supposed to be a playable FeMC. There's a lot in her design that makes me think that, namely the red gloves which she shares with Joker and the gloves were stated by Soejima to be a sort of colour coding for the characters.

Atlus has previously done things like this where a simple idea gets expanded on, SMT IV was originally going to get an expanded version but they ended up turning it into a direct sequel with the same assets. We know it as SMT IV: Apocalypse. So IMO, the code was there for what could have been a potential FeMC character alt. I don't really care if it isn't or if it was at this point since that's in the past now and Kasumi as she stands right now could not be an alternate costume, an echo if stretched but definitely a semi-clone.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The point of the joke is that whenever the text 'Not Actual Gameply Footage' shows up, Smash fans lose their ****, even if it ends up having nothing to do with Smash later on.
Out of ALL the trailers you could have tried to do this attempt at a joke for and you use one that was from a SMASH Direct using a shot that would have made it clear by then that it was a Smash trailer. You could have at least put effort in by using a trailer that didn't make it clear from the getgo it was about Smash like Joker, Isabelle or Pythra

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I thought you were going to suggest Zenkichi for Smash at first. He’d be a pretty awesome character and I’m down for some Strikers music in Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom