• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
The only way I find Porky getting into Smash is if they use the character to promote a MOTHER trilogy which includes MOTHER 1, MOTHER 2, and MOTHER 3. If they made a trilogy, it would definitely sell like hot cakes seriously. They can sell it at retail price $60 and I’d still buy it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hmmmmm, if Crafted Yoshi has enough material to make a somewhat different moveset, then maybe he should?
I mean, Googi is quite literally a clone of Luigi in LM3, with the only real difference being "Can't get wet, can slip in tight spaces."

Otherwise they behave identically.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Do Namco X Capcom and Project X Zone 1 & 2 really count when they aren't fighting games? I can understand Playstation All-Stars though.
There was also Street fighter X Tekken.

Point is his moveset can work in a 2D space.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Nintendo E3 news is here, guys!

Great...
In the middle of my class too...
Why do my schedules hate me?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The Diablo series is perhaps one of the most underrated series all-time. Diablo 2 came out in 1999 and still has a following on Blizzard to this day. I cannot think of a video game that has a following for that long (perhaps WoW). I don't think it gets a lot of attention due to the units sold argument. However, I heard something crazy the other day that kind of destroys the unit solds argument.

I am a huge strategy game fan and I follow someone called Melkor on Youtube who does videos on the Total War series. SEGA is pushing the Total War series and Creative Assembly to make a move towards what they call Super Games which is a comparison to Paradox.

So to compare two titles: Rome Total War 2 sold significantly more games the Europa Universalis 4 for PC. I mean it is nearly double the unit sold. However, EU4 rain a string of DLC and has kept the game alive to date. Its online userbase on Steam has actually increased since its launch almost 8 years ago. As a result, Paradox has made four times the $$$ of EU4 than off of RTW 2. Kind of a crazy though that RTW2 just destroyed Paradox on units sold but Paradox is making more money per title due to the constant DLC and updating of a game.

I see Diablo 2 as that way. Although it probably has less unit sold than many games, it is perhaps one of the most followed and played games in gaming history.

Diablo 3 is meh though :). Sounds like the two of us play a lot of the same games.
I never got into Diablo until I bought Diablo 3 on the Switch and I really loved it. I know that game got a ton of hate from critics but I had such a blast playing it with my brother and friends. I’m a big fan of Blizzard’s character design overall and I would absolutely love getting a character from Diablo, Warcraft, or Starcraft.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Only if you send mushrooms, Guy.
I would personally prefer receiving chocolates, but I'm sure we can come to a compromise. (Can we have something like this at Super Nintendo World please....?)

Mushroom Chocolates: A Shroom Chocolates Recipe | DoubleBlind Mag

Also your post's hilarious if you read it as a request to send certain "alternative types" of mushrooms.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
^^ (Responding to Gengar84) Not to mention Diablo got a Switch bundle and the series also got an amiibo...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m pretty sure I’ve asked this at some point but since the topic of Diablo came up, I’ll ask again. If we did get Diablo, would you prefer his classic bulky design or the sleeker design from Diablo 3? I think both are cool but I prefer his Diablo 3 design overall. It just looks cooler and more unique in my opinion.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I’m pretty sure I’ve asked this at some point but since the topic of Diablo came up, I’ll ask again. If we did get Diablo, would you prefer his classic bulky design or the sleeker design from Diablo 3? I think both are cool but I prefer his Diablo 3 design overall. It just looks cooler and more unique in my opinion.
I prefer his bulky look.

Look at this image and don't tell me it isn't based.

Though how would Nintendo feel about adding such a character to Smash? Would the Smash CERO rating go up?

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
The only way I find Porky getting into Smash is if they use the character to promote a MOTHER trilogy which includes MOTHER 1, MOTHER 2, and MOTHER 3. If they made a trilogy, it would definitely sell like hot cakes seriously. They can sell it at retail price $60 and I’d still buy it.
The only other way is if they would do a Piranha Plant deal. Which is if they do it would be Waluigi imho.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I prefer his bulky look.

Though how would Nintendo feel about adding such a character to Smash? Would the Smash CERO rating go up?
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................................................................................................
How are you handling his Moveset? How Brutal are you allowing him to go?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I prefer his bulky look.

Yeah you can’t really go wrong no matter which version they choose since they are both great in their own way. Here’s his model from Diablo 3 in case anyone is curious what he looks like in that game:

1622672808584.jpeg

SKX31

Smash Master
Said a couple days ago:

Quote is an iconic and historically significant indie character that's appeared on Nintendo consoles a ton.
Reimu is similar to Quote but sacrifices historical significance/influence for being much more well-known nowadays (in Japan at least).
Gordon is from an iconic series that would represent a new genre and act as an effective WTF reveal.

Will say, though, I doubt that both Quote and Gordon would be added due to potential overlap in gameplay.
TBF, we've had swordies that play a zoner-esque game (:ulthero: and :ultbyleth: ) in the same pass, so I don't think gameplay overlap is a huge concern.

Now yeah the overlap between Hero and Byleth is pretty superficial - Hero has more projectiles and generally wants to create space so he can just fish for buffs or even more stuff to throw out, while Byleth's keepaway is aimed more towards knocking people away or upwards so Byleth can gain more space or just pressure from below,

With that said, I do think Quote and Gordon would play differently enough to justify including both hypotheoretically.

I grew up with Diablo II (to a lesser extent than the original StarCraft / Brood War, but still), so his classic bulkier design. I don't have anything against his Diablo 3 design - it could be a good alt - but II is still the most well-known Diablo game and it's practically the cornerstone of the franchise to this day.

Now if Diablo's stage isn't the Secret Cow Level I'm gonna ask "bilzzard buffalo pls" :4pacman:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you can’t really go wrong no matter which version they choose since they are both great in their own way. Here’s his model from Diablo 3 in case anyone is curious what he looks like in that game:

View attachment 317608
I know nothing about Diablo, but that design looks really cool. It reminds me a little bit of Satan from SMT IVA, which is a very good thing.
Screenshot_20210602-233106.png

Paraster

Smash Lord
TBF, we've had swordies that play a zoner-esque game (:ulthero: and :ultbyleth: ) in the same pass, so I don't think gameplay overlap is a huge concern.

Now yeah the overlap between Hero and Byleth is pretty superficial - Hero has more projectiles and generally wants to create space so he can just fish for buffs or even more stuff to throw out, while Byleth's keepaway is aimed more towards knocking people away or upwards so Byleth can gain more space or just pressure from below,

With that said, I do think Quote and Gordon would play differently enough to justify including both hypotheoretically.
Eh, fair point. Quote's Bubbline is very different from Gordon's Hivehand.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Yep, Gordon Freeman.

Only really a fan in concept until recently, but I started actually playing Half-Life 1 a week or two ago.
That's awesome. Consider checking out Black Mesa when you've completed Half-Life 1. There's a good chance that Black Mesa will wind up on Steam's summer sales.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly there are so many valid possibilities for fighters at E3, that I think the line between reasonable prediction and hopeful wish is much blurrier than ever. So with that in mind I'll just put out the combination that's in my head:

Crash Bandicoot and Octoling Girl/Octoling Boy.

I guess my sense is that E3 will have the last major blowout character and a reasonable first party to end the pass. Moreover Crash would be huge for Western audiences and an Octoling big internationally, but especially in Japan. Both major markets get preferred fighters in, Splatoon 2/3 receives another bit of promotion, and Smash Ultimate is nicely bookended by an Inkling and an Octoling, albeit with the latter greatly differentiated from the former in moveset except for the ink mechanic.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Purely hypothetical, but:
I had a random epiphany when thinking about hypothetically, if Sora is revealed as the last DLC character. Again, this is completely hypothetical and I don't think it has anything to do with his chances, I just think that if it DOES end up being the case, it'd be hilarious.

Counting the Aegis sisters as separate characters, and also including Piranha Plant as one of the DLC characters despite not being a part of any of the fighter passes, if Sora is confirmed as the final DLC character, that would make him the 13th overall DLC character in Ultimate. And what version update would he consequently be included in as a result? 13.0.

Again, this is all completely hypothetical and I don't think such thematics affect his chances, but I still think that it's a funny idea.
I guess KH and big-brain moves are never far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom