• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who could do that tho?

Also, am I the only one who thinks Nintendo might release their plans on Thursday the 3rd?
Just a random example, but if the next character is Namco’s Sky Kid from the NES. Other than having a remix in Smash, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about that game. I used to own it as a kid and thought it was fun.

SKX31

Smash Master
I’m curious if it’s possible to break the internet the other way around by revealing a completely obscure character that almost no one has ever heard of. It would definitely be surprising and give people something to talk about.
Better / worse yet, a character that's well known in one of Japan, the Americas and / or EU, but obscure elsewhere.

Especially if it's obscure in all three. Then you have a recipe for mass confusion on most major social platforms, while jubilations happen in some unexpected corners. Or if said character's popular in an unexpected region of the globe. (:ult_terry: is kinda an example, since people started bringing up LatAm more after he was revealed due to KOF's popularity in that region.)

No penalty for continuous rolling, for the true Dark Souls PvP experience.
So in other words, the current Quickplay experience? :4pacman:

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I love this idea that I just had but it's super left field

Imagine Sakurai wanting to send an indirect love letter to other games of the platform-fighter genre that he essentially started, by adding content from games like Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether into Smash

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not to nitpick at the Mortal Kombat series, but Japan isn't so keen on the series due to its gore with the fatalities and x ray attacks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not to nitpick at the Mortal Kombat series, but Japan isn't so keen on the series due to its gore with the fatalities and x ray attacks.
Japanese fighting games aren't free of gore either, IE Samurai Shodown. I think it's more to do with them focusing on the core gameplay of fighters more than anything else, which is one reason why Virtua Fighter wasn't able to die over there the same way it did in the West.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love this idea that I just had but it's super left field

Imagine Sakurai wanting to send an indirect love letter to other games of the platform-fighter genre that he essentially started, by adding content from games like Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether into Smash
Brawlhala has some cool characters. Mako would be an awesome Smash character and I personally wouldn’t complain getting The Undertaker, Asuka, or Becky Lynch.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I’m curious if it’s possible to break the internet the other way around by revealing a completely obscure character that almost no one has ever heard of. It would definitely be surprising and give people something to talk about.
Like how Wii Fit Trainer broke the internet in rage before she came around?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Lloyd would break the internet by making all the Smash fans salty because of "aNiMe SwOrDfIgHtEr"
I still remember watching the E3 2019 stream, literally the second Hero was revealed there were a bunch of “worst Smash character ever” and “game ruined” comments in the chat lol.

I learned to turn off the comments shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
Has there been any E3 leaks yet, even if obviously fake? I want to be surprised at E3 but also I just wish there was something substantial for us to speculate on whether or not it’s true..

The only thing we can even say is what characters we’d like to see. I can’t believe we’re in this age now where some of the biggest requests are Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot and it doesn’t sound that out of the realm of possibility. I just want the last two characters to be a complete surprise but a good one.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Has there been any E3 leaks yet, even if obviously fake? I want to be surprised at E3 but also I just wish there was something substantial for us to speculate on whether or not it’s true..

The only thing we can even say is what characters we’d like to see. I can’t believe we’re in this age now where some of the biggest requests are Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot and it doesn’t sound that out of the realm of possibility. I just want the last two characters to be a complete surprise but a good one.
iirc, some 4chan Crash leaks have been popping up, but I doubt them.
4chan's a weird place.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Brawlhala has some cool characters. Mako would be an awesome Smash character and I personally wouldn’t complain getting The Undertaker, Asuka, or Becky Lynch.
I hope her Final Smash is the Dis-Arm-Her or I'm gonna want a refund

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Well it'll be at least nice to talk about them, even if we can go "Fake AF" about 10 minutes later.
Hmm.. as long as we censor them for those who wish to avoid leaks (myself included, though I consider 4chan as the rare exception cuz.. well its 4chan... someone like PracticalBrush12, tho? Avoiding at all costs), then I GUESS we could discuss them.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I still remember watching the E3 2019 stream, literally the second Hero was revealed there were a bunch of “worst Smash character ever” and “game ruined” comments in the chat lol.

That was legit me when Robin was revealed

Boy, do I regret how I behaved at that time period...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
While I don't agree with the statement because people are more likely to focus on the next character if they're not interested in them...

This does give me another opportunity to bring up Sgt. Cortez as a potential character for this scenario! Introduce TimeSplitters and tell everyone that it was a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and everyone will be like "Where has this game been my entire life?"

Time to Split!

Oh yeah I'm ready.gif

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Ironically it now seems more like the cereal mascot crowd tolerates Hero more than the anime swordsman crowd tolerates Banjo.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Japanese fighting games aren't free of gore either, IE Samurai Shodown. I think it's more to do with them focusing on the core gameplay of fighters more than anything else, which is one reason why Virtua Fighter wasn't able to die over there the same way it did in the West.
The difference between the two series was samurai shodown had gore and blood, but more different way by not showing organs and bones. Mortal Kombat had the organs and bones show when the enemy is dismantled in many ways.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The difference between the two series was samurai shodown had gore and blood, but more different way by not showing organs and bones. Mortal Kombat had the organs and bones show when the enemy is dismantled in many ways.
Yes, the gore in Japanese fighters that have them is less detailed, but classic MK's gore was cartoony in a different way: One body can explode into 12 ribcages and 20 limbs. And that's not even counting how cartoony MK3's fatalities would still be even if a fighter exploded into just one ribcage and four limbs.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yes, the gore in Japanese fighters that have them is less detailed, but classic MK's gore was cartoony in a different way: One body can explode into 12 ribcages and 20 limbs. And that's not even counting how cartoony MK3's fatalities would still be even if a fighter exploded into just one ribcage and four limbs.
They COULD pull a SF and make Scorpion based off of the very first few MK games, and then try to sneak a few references/spirits, etc. from the much newer titles.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They COULD pull a SF and make Scorpion based off of the very first few MK games, and then try to sneak a few references/spirits, etc. from the much newer titles.
If they did that, I think we could easily get Sub-Zero as well as a semiclone. All their normals were the same in the classic games and only their specials are different. I also love the classic Ultimate MK3 designs for the ninjas.

1622565946712.jpeg

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Mortal Kombat series has evolved past those old games though. Now the Gore is the selling point, and it's gotten so bad that Artists are getting PTSD from working on it. Representing old games would be the way they would go if Scorpion somehow got in, but when it comes to it's lack of presence in japan it certainly stems from MK9 onward.

Again I agree that representing the older games would probably be what they go with if Scorpion somehow made it into smash.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The Mortal Kombat series has evolved past those old games though. Now the Gore is the selling point, and it's gotten so bad that Artists are getting PTSD from working on it. Representing old games would be the way they would go if Scorpion somehow got in, but when it comes to it's lack of presence in japan it certainly stems from MK9 onward.

Again I agree that representing the older games would avoid that question and would probably be what they go with if Scorpion somehow made it into smash.
Yeah, I don’t think it would be much an issue if they represented the classic games. Mortal Kombat did have a kid’s cartoon as well as a movie suitable for younger audiences so this wouldn’t be that different.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

Again I agree that representing the older games would avoid that question and would probably be what they go with if Scorpion somehow made it into smash.
God, that's horrific. Netherealm probably need to re-evaluate the development process in that case.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Jesus Christ, didn't realize development put the artists in that bad of a spot.
Makes me wonder... if making a playable MK character is too much, maybe a deluxe Mii of Scorpion might suffice? Not sure.

Also, regarding the series and Japan, I just did some research and apparently, MK11 is actually the only BANNED MK game there. Some others aren't banned, just not sold there cuz of Warner Bros.
And on your little note about MK9, Ed Boon said that MK9 Scorpion is his favorite Scorpion. Just thought I'd say that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m all for toning down the gore in future Mortal Kombat games, especially if it is actually harming the developers. I’ve always liked the series for the cool characters it has and never really cared too much either way about all the blood and guts.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I’m all for toning down the gore in future Mortal Kombat games, especially if it is actually harming the developers. I’ve always liked the series for the cool characters it has and never really cared too much either way about all the blood and guts.
Same. Their storytelling has gotten better too; expanding on that rather then gore could be a healthier and more beneficiary alternative.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
In one way, that's understandable, and there should be help for the devs if they're actually having bad issues about the research and developement about the game.

In the other, it's sadly a normal process whenever in the cinema or Video game industries, and even more in the video game industries because of this stupid course to overrealisms killing art direction in my opinion. You have to do research...and research for that comes...well, there not really lots of ways to get those researches done yknow? Beside it's Mortal Kombat, what else would you expect.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe if they scaled it back to at least Bayonetta or Devil May Cry levels, that would be a good compromise. That way, it can still be violent and bloody without going too over the top and getting their games banned or causing mental problems with their workers.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Chances of Scorpion coming to the Super Smash Bros. series are that Masahiro Sakurai is asking for him or Mortal Kombat creators Ed Boon and John Tobias will be asked to add the character to the Super Smash Bros. series. and Masahiro Sakurai to accept.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The SamSho way is just the anime way. Anime loves it's artistic sprays of blood.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Same. Their storytelling has gotten better too; expanding on that rather then gore could be a healthier and more beneficiary alternative.
To me it seems like the NRS era has been about taking the idea that Mortal Kombat is "the gory fighting game" and Flanderizing it. In the classic games, gore could only be seen if a Fatality was performed, and the PG-13 movie, kid's cartoon, and live show meant they had to show there's more to these characters than gore. Nowadays, Fatalities are far from the only way to see gore in MK, and the gore has gotten detailed enough to require artists to look at pictures of real gore.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Again I agree that representing the older games would probably be what they go with if Scorpion somehow made it into smash.
Can't help but wonder what's gonna happen to Neatherrealm given the current state of WB Games. I don't think they're gonna close or anything, but hopefully things change for the better...

SKX31

Smash Master
In one way, that's understandable, and there should be help for the devs if they're actually having bad issues about the research and developement about the game.

In the other, it's sadly a normal process whenever in the cinema or Video game industries, and even more in the video game industries because of this stupid course to overrealisms killing art direction in my opinion. You have to do research...and research for that comes...well, there not really lots of ways to get those researches done yknow? Beside it's Mortal Kombat, what else would you expect.
I wouldn't say killing art direction - that feels very much like an overexaggeration. I mean, there are still lots of movies / video games that go in all kinds of art directions. I get your point, though, even if I don't entirely agree with it. CoD's definition of "real is brown" does not come all that close to how DMC's or even MK's take on realism (as a general artform) winds up.

While there is a lot of over-emphasis on realism within quite a few genres and fanbases (and I'm not just talking FPSes here, sport games often fall victim to this: as is the case with FIFA where a sillier, arcade-y futsal mode could be introduced without much hassle) realism has a very long history behind it precisely because the general feeling of evocing real life is a very alluring one to a lot of people - and sometimes is the point of the genre. To try and replicate something real (again, FIFA and other EA Sports games' premises run on this, as does Konami's PES). No matter how realistic or not it actually winds up.

As silly as it may seem to look back upon now, Overwatch did get a lot of praise and attention initially because it averted the "real is brown" trope.

To me it seems like the NRS era has been about taking the idea that Mortal Kombat is "the gory fighting game" and Flanderizing it. In the classic games, gore could only be seen if a Fatality was performed, and the PG-13 movie, kid's cartoon, and live show meant they had to show there's more to these characters than gore. Nowadays, Fatalities are far from the only way to see gore in MK, and the gore has gotten detailed enough to require artists to look at pictures of real gore.
I'm not entirely sure on Flanderizing, especially since NRS has taken more interest in the story and character interaction. I'd put the blame more on the new game-selling mechanics (X-Rays, Fatal Blows) and going for quite a lot of over-the-top Fatalities to the point where some of them involve throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the opponent's body. I'm not sure how long they'll be able to produce such Fatalities, but sooner or later they might wanna scale back because there's only so many ways you can go over the top (not to mention the artists' sanity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom