• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've been trying to figure out why I dislike the "hype culture" surrounding potential Smash Bros. characters so much and this article finally helped me realize why that is.

This article is solely concerned with the immediate reactions that these characters would bring and gives little, if any, information about how these characters would actually function if they were added. Master Chief and Lloyd get a nice and vague "He has a lot of guns/two swords". Dante and Monster Hunter get a cool "I dunno, just look at MvC/Monster Hunter Rise". Crash gets literally nothing.

It feels like the author views Smash solely as Gaming's Hall of Fame, when the series has always been about so much more than that. If Smash really was just its roster, it wouldn't have lasted this long. Instead, its foundation lies in the unique gameplay that situates the characters and how said characters are translated into this new environment.

If you want an example of what Smash would be like without its solid gameplay, I think J-Stars Victory Vs. and especially Jump Force are where to look. Both games bring some of the most iconic manga characters under one roof to duke it out but can't hold their appeal because the gameplay is an afterthought. Luffy vs. Naruto or Frieza vs. Dio aren't fun when the core gameplay is sluggish and makes the characters feel disconnected from their source material, no matter how "hype" those scenarios are on paper.

That's why it bothers me when someone throws out "lots of people know them, deserves to be in Smash, simple as" or "obscure, doesn't deserve to be in Smash, simple as" because it's largely missing the point of Smash Bros in the first place. Excitement over a character's inclusion fades quickly. Steve's inclusion broke Twitter for the first time in over a decade, no one gives a **** about the spectacle of this event 6 months later. Even Sakurai himself has acknowledged this, adding Sephiroth Challenge because he was frustrated by how quickly new characters fade into the background regardless of their identity.

This isn't to say people aren't allowed to like whatever they like for whatever reason, there are no gameplay merits to inclusions of big names, or all supporters of these characters don't care about the gameplay side of the equation. That would be silly. However, planning solely around reveals and hype is a shortsighted answer to a multivariate question.
I absolutely agree with all this.

While on the subject of "Smash should be more than just its roster alone," I also would like to add that I REAAAALLLLY wish Smash would try to add more story stuff or character interactions in Smash. WoL, while okay, barely did anything when it comes to story and had, maybe, 4 seconds of character interaction. Like come on, you have all these cool and/or iconic characters here and all you have them do is beat eachother up?

As flawed as Brawl's SSE was from a gameplay perspective, I do always credit it for atleast attempting to do something more with its cast of characters.

Hell, even ignoring something as big as story mode, even something smaller like having certain characters face off against eachother causing different introductions would be nice. You know, like how Terry tosses his hat to Ken in one of the Capcom vs. SNK games; stuff like that.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
even something smaller like having certain characters face off against eachother causing different introductions would be nice
It's a shame that character-dependent victory quotes seem to only be when one character wins against another from the same series, minus Simon going "To darkness!" against "dark" characters. What about something like Ken going "Hey Terry, been a while hasn't it?" after winning against, well, Terry, or Wii Fit Trainer commenting on fat characters' bodies?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Going back to MK,
regarding fighting game reps in general...

The only 4 characters I can think of that they could do other than Scorpion are

Sol Badguy
Chun-Li
Jin Kazama
and lastly
Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't Chun-Li supposed to get in over Ken, but they scrapped her knowing Ken is easier to make? I think having Chun-Li as the next or final fighter would be interesting

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Honestly, here's a rather insignificant question:

We know for sure CP10 will show up at E3. But do y'all think it'll be the very first announcement of the direct? After all, Nintendo's got a history of starting directs with Smash announcements after all.
E3 2019 started off with Hero's trailer
Not Nintendo directly, but TGA's first main show announcement was Sephiroth
and the February Direct this year started with Pythra.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

We know for sure CP10 will show up at E3. But do y'all think it'll be the very first announcement of the direct? After allintendo's got a history of starting directs with Smash announcements after all.
Depends what they want to focus on, and how the show's set up.

If they START with Smash, I think then everyone's going to be expecting a 2nd reveal, due to it being E3.

Likewise, if the reveal is mid-show, then I think most will settle on being 1 and done.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Depends what they want to focus on, and how the show's set up.

If they START with Smash, I think then everyone's going to be expecting a 2nd reveal, due to it being E3.

Likewise, if the reveal is mid-show, then I think most will settle on being 1 and done.
Good points.

If the direct starts with Smash, a lot of people might also raise their expectations too high and expect CP11 lol.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Technomage

Smash Champion
It'd be a cool idea if the next Smash featured not only underwater combat stages, but also either Ryley Robinson or Robin Ayou from the Subnautica series; either character would be perfect for showing off water combat. 😎

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If the next Smash had underwater combat stages, similar mechanics could probably be used to make aerial combat stages too. Imagine that sequence in Metroid Prime 3 when you fight Ridley while you're both falling to the core of the planet at terminal velocity speed, but in Smash Bros.
So like Umbran Clock Tower?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

We know for sure CP10 will show up at E3. But do y'all think it'll be the very first announcement of the direct? After all, Nintendo's got a history of starting directs with Smash announcements after all.
They'll probably stick with it

BUT the question is: will they show a second character? If it's at the start, I would expect it somehow

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
My prediction for the last two fighters are Octolings and Crash. I can't think of a likelier scenario.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Why all this talk about MK suddenly? Has any (most likely fake) leak mentioned a MK character?
Just for Fun. I think Someone mentioned Mortal Kombat and it went from there

The thing I will say about Mortal Kombat is that Ed Boon has been down with the idea since 2015, and Nintendo (or America I believe) urged WB Games to have MK11 on Switch since there is an audience for it, and it became a best seller on Switch for that month

I also think Scorpion can have fatalities actually in Smash that don't Dismember or feature Blood. Fatalities are an important part of MK so it shouldn't be absent

As Shroob Mentioned it does depend on what they want to focus on, and also how many reveals we are getting

To be honest, as Hype as Smash is, Smash Ultimate is just an Old game at this point, so 1 reveal or 2, I do expect a reveal to be at the beginning. This Nintendo Direct is likely going to have stuff like Splatoon 3, BOTW2, The New Pokemon games (Arceus and remakes), Metroid Prime 4, Mario Gold, and rumored stuff like New Donkey Kong, New Kirby, New Mario Kart potentially, and New Switch. And on the New Switch, I Imagine they want to show how these new games take advantage of the new hardware, as well as the 3rd party stuff

I also think another reason for the reveal to be at the beginning is for the announcement of a Sakurai presents perhaps after the presentation, and to make sure that people stay tuned for that

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Chief, as much as I would love him... I havent made it that far with a concept due to never having an xbox. I imagine he would start with a base of samus and, much like Hero from Link, proceed to go in a very different direction for the moveset.
Yeah Samus is probably the best bet, since tall, armored, shooty person. He should be closer to Ganondorfs weight tho, and definitely nowhere near as floaty.

When do you guys think the plans will be announced?

Dunno, but any freaking day now sure would be just swell. Sure would like to make sure I've got the day off work for it.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Great argument, dude.

After all,
You see this surprised me because I thought Terry was quite well known. Not like Pac-Man or Sonic levels but at least on par with Castlevania or Mega Man.

Just for Fun. I think Someone mentioned Mortal Kombat and it went from there

The thing I will say about Mortal Kombat is that Ed Boon has been down with the idea since 2015, and Nintendo (or America I believe) urged WB Games to have MK11 on Switch since there is an audience for it, and it became a best seller on Switch for that month

I also think Scorpion can have fatalities actually in Smash that don't Dismember or feature Blood. Fatalities are an important part of MK so it shouldn't be absent
I think it is definitely possible considering Scorpion's most iconic fatality, didn't really have any blood, being the run where he takes of his mask and incinerates his opponent.
The more pressing issue is that the last few Mortal Kombats haven't actually been released in Japan, so I think it is rather unlikely that a Mortal Kombat character would get in.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’m all for toning down the gore in future Mortal Kombat games, especially if it is actually harming the developers. I’ve always liked the series for the cool characters it has and never really cared too much either way about all the blood and guts.
Yeah, as a diehard MK fan, I completely agree with this. The entire point of Fatalities has completely changed as the series has gone on, and I can’t say that I’m a huge fan. They were extremely interesting back in the day because most people had no clue how to even do them. The inputs were pretty difficult and there was no easy way to figure them out. It was pretty rare that someone would know how to do a Fatality, so when you’d see one at the arcade, it was ****ing insane. Nowadays, you can literally just pause the game and look up how to do them. Anyone can do a Fatality, so they aren’t nearly as exciting.

Additionally, and many others mentioned this, the tone of Fatalities has shifted as well. Instead of characters blowing up into 19 ribcages, the modern Fatalities are far more realistic, with some resembling real life torture. They can still be pretty silly, but not in a “cartoon violence” sort of way, but in a way that’s really twisted and disturbing. Take Cassie bashing in someone’s skull and then taking a selfie with them, or Johnny using someone’s corpse as a puppet in a comedy routine. ****’s weird.

Most big MK fans that I’ve spoken to don’t really care about the Fatalities anymore. People who are invested in the series are invested in the characters, gameplay, and setting. There’s a reason that MK keeps getting movie and TV adaptations. They crafted an extremely interesting universe with some really cool characters. MK9 literally set the bar for fighting game stories and they’ve managed to build up a loyal and devoted fanbase from that. Also, a much older fanbase compared to what they had back in the day. Anyone can just look up the Fatalities online. You don’t even have to buy the games if that’s what you’re interested in. The people actually buying Mortal Kombat and making it one of the best selling gaming franchises of all time aren’t there simply for the violence. There is a lot more substance to MK and I really hope that NetherRealm stops promoting the Fatalities as their major selling point when they really aren’t anymore.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Great argument, dude.

After all,
This is really not the meaningful statement people make it out to be. First off, basic reading comprehension elicits the fact that it's saying a character does have to be recognizable. The other factor they need to be is fun to play. But that's not something anybody other than the dev team gets to dictate.

Recognizability and fun-ness have no innate correlation. I would guess people find their main fun to play. Many mains are highly recognizable. Many mains are on the lesser end of recognizability, compared to some other characters on the roster. The most played character is Cloud, and he's extremely recognizable. On the other hand, people enjoyed playing Marth when most of the world didn't know where he came from. It comes down to how the team implements them, not the logline a fan will concoct.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, as a diehard MK fan, I completely agree with this. The entire point of Fatalities has completely changed as the series has gone on, and I can’t say that I’m a huge fan. They were extremely interesting back in the day because most people had no clue how to even do them. The inputs were pretty difficult and there was no easy way to figure them out. It was pretty rare that someone would know how to do a Fatality, so when you’d see one at the arcade, it was ****ing insane. Nowadays, you can literally just pause the game and look up how to do them. Anyone can do a Fatality, so they aren’t nearly as exciting.

Additionally, and many others mentioned this, the tone of Fatalities has shifted as well. Instead of characters blowing up into 19 ribcages, the modern Fatalities are far more realistic, with some resembling real life torture. They can still be pretty silly, but not in a “cartoon violence” sort of way, but in a way that’s really twisted and disturbing. Take Cassie bashing in someone’s skull and then taking a selfie with them, or Johnny using someone’s corpse as a puppet in a comedy routine. ****’s weird.

Most big MK fans that I’ve spoken to don’t really care about the Fatalities anymore. People who are invested in the series are invested in the characters, gameplay, and setting. There’s a reason that MK keeps getting movie and TV adaptations. They crafted an extremely interesting universe with some really cool characters. MK9 literally set the bar for fighting game stories and they’ve managed to build up a loyal and devoted fanbase from that. Also, a much older fanbase compared to what they had back in the day. Anyone can just look up the Fatalities online. You don’t even have to buy the games if that’s what you’re interested in. The people actually buying Mortal Kombat and making it one of the best selling gaming franchises of all time aren’t there simply for the violence. There is a lot more substance to MK and I really hope that NetherRealm stops promoting the Fatalities as their major selling point when they really aren’t anymore.
While your point is very valid, I think there's good reason they make their modern fatalities as gruesome as possible - that reason is to draw attention from non MK Fans. As you say, the fans stay for the gameplay, setting, or characters; but most non fans just know MK as that one really violent game that parents shouldn't buy their kids. Shock factor is a very marketable thing.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When do you guys think the plans will be announced?

Nintendo never makes it easy for people that would actually want to take off work to, y'know, watch advertisements. The less notice Nintendo provides, the fewer people will tune in live. And yet these are things Nintendo rarely seems bothered by.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nintendo’s tendency to do stuff after the other Attendees stretches back to like E3 2013 or something. Since we know Xbox and Bethesda is happening on the Sunday of E3 I would expect the Nintendo on the Monday of E3. So the 14th.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
While your point is very valid, I think there's good reason they make their modern fatalities as gruesome as possible - that reason is to draw attention from non MK Fans. As you say, the fans stay for the gameplay, setting, or characters; but most non fans just know MK as that one really violent game that parents shouldn't buy their kids. Shock factor is a very marketable thing.
For sure. They definitely still have a purpose and I understand why they might spark some people’s interests. But I also feel that most consumers are much smarter than the MK team gives them credit for. Like I said, the Fatalities are really easy to just look up online. Once you see them once, they kind of lose their impact, so there’s hardly a reason to spend $60 if you just wanna see someone get decapitated, or dismembered. Maybe I’m giving the average consumer too much credit, but I really don’t think that MK11 would have sold over 8 million copies simply by being ‘the violent game that parents hate.’

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know some people still doubt or question the likelihood of a dual reveal at E3 given how there are only 2 fighters left to go in the pass, but one look at Smash and E3 history has been a fairly consistent track record of multiple reveals. With Melee's reveal at E3 2001, we had Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, and Sheik shown off. Brawl in E3 2006 gave us Meta Knight, Pitt, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Snake. E3 2013 gave us the Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. E3 2014 gave us the Miis, Palutena, and Pac Man. E3 2015 had Roy and Ryu, but were leaked due to a datamine. E3 2018 gave us the first gameplay footage for Inkling on top of Daisy and Ridley, and finally E3 2019 gave us the Dragon Quest heroes and Banjo and Kazooie.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I got a question: If Smash 6/Ultimate Deluxe were to revamp its water mechanic, how should it be?
Being underwater changes the gameplay in a rhythm game.

This is really not the meaningful statement people make it out to be. First off, basic reading comprehension elicits the fact that it's saying a character does have to be recognizable. The other factor they need to be is fun to play. But that's not something anybody other than the dev team gets to dictate.

Recognizability and fun-ness have no innate correlation. I would guess people find their main fun to play. Many mains are highly recognizable. Many mains are on the lesser end of recognizability, compared to some other characters on the roster. The most played character is Cloud, and he's extremely recognizable. On the other hand, people enjoyed playing Marth when most of the world didn't know where he came from. It comes down to how the team implements them, not the logline a fan will concoct.
Yeah, “fun to play” isn’t really something we can use in speculation. I’d say new series are a bit clearer in which mechanics they’ll bring. Steve was a terraformer, Min Min was ARMS’ 2D spin-off and Terry brought Fatal Fury.
Thing doesn’t go for every character though; people supporting Rosalina didn’t do so for the prospect of a puppet character, Inkling’s Ink mechanic was something entirely different than friend and foe expected, Joker’s Persona mechanic could’ve gone multiple ways, the Aegis booted Rex out of the equation despite the Driver/Blade theme their home game has and Byleth’s moveset is a story on its own what with the three relics.

It’s hard to estimate a character based on possible moveset when Sakurai can randomly bring in everything from their home series (like Steve) or take an unexpected twist with their set (Like Aegis)
Yes, in the end it’s possible that an obscure character has a super fun moveset that only they can pull off, but the design team also just went the full mile with the main character of the second best-selling game of all time. At that point, obscure characters struggle to stay alive in speculation, because if Sakurai can make anyone awesome, why not go for a character that is also really hype.

Iconicness or hype are independent of the design process and are thus things we can predict and map out without trying to solve the unknowable, even though they are very much secondary to how characters play, especially in the long run. But we’re already flailing when trying to predict the who of it all, trying to predict the how is a fool’s errand on another level.

Shroob

Sup?
I know some people still doubt or question the likelihood of a dual reveal at E3 given how there are only 2 fighters left to go in the pass, but one look at Smash and E3 history has been a fairly consistent track record of multiple reveals. With Melee's reveal at E3 2001, we had Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, and Sheik shown off. Brawl in E3 2006 gave us Meta Knight, Pitt, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Snake. E3 2013 gave us the Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. E3 2014 gave us the Miis, Palutena, and Pac Man. E3 2015 had Roy and Ryu, but were leaked due to a datamine. E3 2018 gave us the first gameplay footage for Inkling on top of Daisy and Ridley, and finally E3 2019 gave us the Dragon Quest heroes and Banjo and Kazooie.
I absolutely 'want' a dual reveal as a way to rip the band-aide off and end speculation here and now.

But the question is will they? This is the first time we've ever had the chance to 'end' the DLC at E3, and while it'd be fitting to do so, considering Ultimate was first really shown off at E3 3 years ago, the question is, will they 'end' it there, or will they drag it out for longer to keep players invested?

It really comes down to how hard they'll do in on BotW2 and other big reveals I think. If the Smash announcement is super early on, then I'll definitely be looking out for a CP11 reveal, but if the Smash announcement is super late into the show? It may just be CP10.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
One other thing about the possibility of a single reveal is if CP11 is from a more recent game that is revealed or practically revealed at E3 itself. It’d be weird to have a big Breath of the Wild blowout and then also have the trailer for Breath of the Wild Zelda at the end of the same Direct, for example. They might want to give a little breathing room for cases like that by having the Smash reveal in September. Same goes for a Splatoon 3 character etc.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Honestly, what if..
big what if..
instead of a double reveal

It's CP10 and the reveal of either a surprise CP12, bonus fighter at the end, or FP3?

Though the latter of all that has a super slim chance of happening.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Nintendo’s tendency to do stuff after the other Attendees stretches back to like E3 2013 or something. Since we know Xbox and Bethesda is happening on the Sunday of E3 I would expect the Nintendo on the Monday of E3. So the 14th.
They usually do it the Tuesday after everyone does. I'd expect the 15th.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, what if..
big what if..
instead of a double reveal

It's CP10 and the reveal of either a surprise CP12, bonus fighter at the end, or FP3?

Though the latter of all that has a super slim chance of happening.
With how hard Sakurai's been going in on "Two more and done", I think a FP3 can be completely written off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom