• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If Masahiro Sakurai stop dealing with the Super Smash Bros. series as some rumors say, will there be anyone else to continue it? I do not want the Super Smash Bros. series. to end.
I think I should direct the new Smash. I have no experience with making a game, but I'm gonna add my most wanteds, making me the obvious choice. Other directors might add characters who aren't my most wanted.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well two weeks to go until Nintendo's show.

I wonder if we'll get both remaining characters revealed or if the last one will get an October reveal or something.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If asked who they want I really don't see Bandai Namco prompting Dark Souls when FromSoftware have told them the series is over. Sorry but I feel like it's closer to Klonoa.

Tekken, Tales of, Soul Calibur, and Digimon among others seem like the ones with the best odds from an "ongoing franchise" perspective since they have new content making Bandai Namco money.

Won't go into why of those I think Digimon has really good odds, but will make the argument that if being historically important for anime as well gaming is an issue then Castlevania should watch out because it's a dead game franchise that might get more Netflix content.
As one of the big Klonoa supporters around here, I can't really say Dark Souls ranks that low. The key difference here is that Dark Souls actually got a chance to leave an impact; Klonoa never got that opportunity.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
both remaining characters revealed or if the last one will get an October reveal or something
Both will be wrong, CP11 will be revealed in August. They wouldn't take that much time to make the final character.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I am fully anticipating the end is near, but we won't see it until October.

We're in Gamer Season and traditionally, we've yet to go high and dry during a Smash speculation season during June. I think at least one reveal is all but guaranteed, worst case scenario being very late June. (Closest was a fakeout where we thought June would be dry after back to back Pokemon directs last year).

The other/s... well, this is certainly going to be a hot topic. I don't believe we're getting a double reveal to close the pass here and now, and I'm going to ignore the possibility of another bonus fighter as well. I believe, that there is going to be a period of time where one character remains, and it's every man/woman/person/being for themselves.

Reveal this month: Challenger Pack #10. Release: July at the soonest, September at the latest. Probably early-mid August or the end of July.

11... I'm thinking October, but maybe September. Unless we're getting two star studded reveals (or conversely, one character is so awful/controversial that they need a huge star/fan favorite to serve as a good pill to swallow to prevent blowback, which I would doubt Nintendo would want in the first place), I don't think we're seeing a back-to-back June reveal. Release is probably December but holding out hope for November, or even late October if they're revealed in September, isn't unreasonable to me.

And with Challenger Pack #10, they will either announce a third pass really is in development, or they will finally reveal to the west that this is, indeed, the end of the road. I don't think they're going to leave that information hidden away in obscure materials only superfans would notice. I expect the latter.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
As one of the big Klonoa supporters around here, I can't really say Dark Souls ranks that low. The key difference here is that Dark Souls actually got a chance to leave an impact; Klonoa never got that opportunity.

Yeah but the difference is that series could be revived; meaning it actually has more business benefits to Bandai Namco. They can't single handedly revive Dark Souls if FromSoftware feel its over.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah but the difference is that series could be revived; meaning it actually has more business benefits to Bandai Namco. They can't single handedly revive Dark Souls if FromSoftware feel its over.
That's correct. It's kinda like Earthbound, which is also not a dead series, but rather a finished one, as Itoi doesn't want to make any more games.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
...Why do you have to remind me of that? :drsad:

It's interesting because Klonoa is supposedly kinda beloved among certain Bamco teams - the Tales team in particular shout him out in a few games, if I recall correctly. I assume the target audience was just... never there, at least compared to the like of other PS1 platformers like Crash or Ape Escape.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
...Why do you have to remind me of that? :drsad:

It's interesting because Klonoa is supposedly kinda beloved among certain Bamco teams - the Tales team in particular shout him out in a few games, if I recall correctly. I assume the target audience was just... never there, at least compared to the like of other PS1 platformers like Crash or Ape Escape.
Klonoa's a weird case. Just about everyone who knows about it loves it, but not many people know about it because Bamco just never advertised it. As such, he ended up slipping into obscurity.

Regarding cameos:
1622557328674.png

...I think that's actually more guest appearances than home series releases. Bandai-Namco does still seem to like him, but they just don't make the games. Here's to hoping with that Klonoa Encore trademark...

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
There's still the spiritual successors though like Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring that keep Dark Souls relevant.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's still the spiritual successors though like Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring that keep Dark Souls relevant.
And the Soulslike subgenre as a whole. If you manage to set the standard for an entire subgenre with sheer difficulty, I think that says a lot about your impact, regardless of if the series itself is still going on.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Klonoa's a weird case. Just about everyone who knows about it loves it, but not many people know about it because Bamco just never advertised it. As such, he ended up slipping into obscurity.

Regarding cameos:
View attachment 317331
...I think that's actually more guest appearances than home series releases. Bandai-Namco does still seem to like him, but they just don't make the games. Here's to hoping with that Klonoa Encore trademark...
I'm thinking the devs love him, the guys who actually control what money goes to what projects hate him.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Monolith Soft is talking about needing new recruitments.
Most notably, Xenosaga KOS-MOS outfit rather than her XB2 outfit.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Always hiring, aren't they?

SKX31

Smash Master
I love that Master Chief and Doom Slayer aren't disconfirmed, Just "Halo Guy" and "Doom Squid Kid". :4pacman:
So people were mistakenly crossing over Doomguy and Isabelle when it should've been Splatoon in Doom? :4pacman:

I'm thinking the devs love him, the guys who actually control what money goes to what projects hate him.
Might not even be that there's much if any hate neccessarily - it's worth remembering that corporations often judge between a project's potential risk and reward before comitting to it. Corporations' big strength (and weakness) is that they're very much focused around specific products, as such they often can't afford to have projects be canned, but OTOH corporations also are good structures to ensure those products get to consumers. It's why Bamco appeared super-hesitant around any new Xenosaga projects. Ditto with new Klonoa.

Of course, this calculus can be unreliable even if it's conducted in detail - not only due to good ol' human error, but also since what appears likely to succeed can be a failure soon after as the market changes. Trend-chasing is notoriously fickle and unreliable from an economic perspective, even if cheap and has a strong upside initially. As such, it's possible that such calculus underestimate both IPs potential as at least lower-cost titles.

Not entirely discounting the possibility that Bamco's head honchos may dislike Klonoa here, but I don't think it's the primary factor.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sorry for quoting again, but I didn't notice the Xenosaga bit. As such, I shall once again give my hot take that Nintendo should buy the rights to Xenosaga and let Monolith Soft remake the games so that they can be more accurate to the creator's original vision.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve got to agree there. I don’t think Tales is really mainstream enough to break the internet. On top of that, I’m a huge Tales fan and I wouldn’t be all that hyped about Lloyd. I loved Tales of Symphonia but I never really cared for Lloyd as a character. If we got Velvet or one of my favorite side characters like Sheena, Rita, Alvin, or Zaveid, I would definitely be really excited.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
And the Soulslike subgenre as a whole. If you manage to set the standard for an entire subgenre with sheer difficulty, I think that says a lot about your impact, regardless of if the series itself is still going on.

Yes but here is the thing, I am looking at it as the second Bandai Namco rep, and of those only Elden Ring is being published by Bandai Namco; meaning that advertising the genre as a whole does a lot less for them.

That's correct. It's kinda like Earthbound, which is also not a dead series, but rather a finished one, as Itoi doesn't want to make any more games.
Exactly, and they didn't even bother reusing the pre-existing boss-character from that game in Smash Ultimate because they felt it made more sense to put that energy into their own ongoing series (Zelda, Mario, Kirby); despite the fact they only finally released the first game over here (a new game for most of us) on the Wii-U, less than a full year before Dark Souls got what seems to be its own last new game ever - and that was a first-party NPC that was already designed.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hmmm.. I only agree with Master Chief possibly being able to do it.
I think League of Legends, Warcraft, and Fortnite would probably break the internet more than any of these other than Master Chief. I think most people just expect Crash at this point so I can’t imagine him really breaking the internet either. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Though of some potential internet breaking reveals atm
Chief
Sora
Kratos or any first party Sony character
Gordon Freeman
Any big LoL character
Diablo
Jonesy (maybe not in a good way tho lol)
Lara Croft (I think she could do it)
Doomguy
Anyone from GTA

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Though of some potential internet breaking reveals atm
Chief
Sora
Kratos or any first party Sony character
Gordon Freeman
Any big LoL character
Diablo
Jonesy (maybe not in a good way tho lol)
Lara Croft (I think she could do it)
Doomguy
Anyone from GTA
I want to say Scorpion or Sub-Zero would come pretty close as well but maybe I’m overestimating Mortal Kombat’s popularity.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Actually, just to be more positive about Dark Souls for a moment because I don't want to seem like I'm hating on it.

How do you think a Chosen Undead character would fight?

As I said I'm thinking they'd be a light-weight glass-canon who moves like a heavy-weight, but with the most OP teleport in the game. If you use their up-B on the ground you set a Bonfire, if you use it in the air you return to your last Bonfire.

I feel like they should feel 'easy to launch, hard to keep launched', with them waiting for the opponent to screw up.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I’m curious if it’s possible to break the internet the other way around by revealing a completely obscure character that almost no one has ever heard of. It would definitely be surprising and give people something to talk about.
Who could do that tho?

Also, am I the only one who thinks Nintendo might release their plans on Thursday the 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom