• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I think it's less about Pokemon being overrepresented and more about a vocal minority hating Sword and Shield with a passion.
I just want a Pokemon that doesn't feel like obvious promotion.

Gimme Gengar, Blaziken, Hawlucha, I wouldn't mind. But if any Pokemon gets in, judging by the current 1st party track record, it'd 100% be SwSd.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, despite all the things that might suggest New Pokemon might not be happening (Spirit event, Mii Costume that was added later on in FP1, the Tourney events) Part of me worries about Gen 8 Pokemon, specifically Cinderace for one reason

Fire theory

Cinderace is all about that Fire, and Shroob's Fire theory has proven to be correct for all of FP2. yes it was only intended as meme, but one thing I also say is we haven't gotten a Fire Themed Tourney in Smash yet, which is weird since there's alot of characters with Fire Moves/Properties

osby

Smash Obsessed

Gimme Gengar, Blaziken, Hawlucha, I wouldn't mind. But if any Pokemon gets in, judging by the current 1st party track record, it'd 100% be SwSd.
It completely depends on the Pokemon for me.

If it's a mon I like, I have a problem with a Gen 8 mon. Vice versa, I'm not going to be happy about a nostalgia pick if I don't care about the Pokemon itself.

You know, despite all the things that might suggest New Pokemon might not be happening (Spirit event, Mii Costume that was added later on in FP1, the Tourney events) Part of me worries about Gen 8 Pokemon, specifically Cinderace for one reason

Fire theory

Cinderace is all about that Fire, and Shroob's Fire theory has proven to be correct for all of FP2. yes it was only intended as meme, but one thing I also say is we haven't gotten a Fire Themed Tourney in Smash yet, which is weird since there's alot of characters with Fire Moves/Properties
There's no rule saying we have to get a fire tourney.

Actually, with how many characters have at least one fire/explosive move, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get one. It would be like getting a tourney for platforming or RPG characters.

Even if we get a fire-using character, it would be because it's a common effect in video games. It's not like Nintendo will notice the amount of fire Smash has and scramble to add a fire-type Pokemon to not mess up with the pattern.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Give me Garchomp and we can both promote and be a fan-favorite at the same time.

By the way, did you all know there's a Garchomp support thread?

Shroob

Sup?

Fire theory

The fact I didn't even remember this until you brought it up speaks volumes about how much stock I put into that ****post theory lol

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like the peformance of BDSP won't nudge GF the slightest as they're outsourced games which will likely sell along the lines of previous remakes in the minimum (10-12mil) and get any invested money back.
Legends Arceus is where the true test is at.

As for a Pokemon newcomer in Smash, I'm still in the boat of it being very much a possibility, though I kinda see the promotion-aspect of it getting tiring. I feel like up until Lucario it was all cool and dandy as the Pokemon introduced were already popular (or just otherwise fitting in Smash). Greninja gets away with it because he became one of the most popular shortly after, but Incineroar was more a "just something from Gen 7" which I feel like a Gen 8 Pokemon may suffer from too as their popularity is still yet to be seen. Something like Cinderace is an obvious choice but nothing screams promotion more than "starter from newest gen", a non-starter from Gen 8 would already be more refreshing.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think it's less about Pokemon being overrepresented and more about a vocal minority hating Sword and Shield with a passion.
Idk about that. Haters of SwSh typically don’t criticize the actual monster design, which GF still does very well. I think it would be mostly pokemon fatigue as far as smash is concerned.

Id be personally ok with a SwSh rep but I’m just not a big fan of Cinderace particularly who feels like the obvious option.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'd be cool with Pokemon BDSP if it wasn't 60 ****in dollars.

Either justify the price with content or don't charge full price.
To be fair, that's an issue with a number of Nintendo's remakes lately. I love Link's Awakening, that game was my childhood and I enjoyed my time with it, but the remake was not worth $60.

Twilord

Smash Ace
This is probably very silly of me, but I can kinda see us getting a double reveal of the Legendary Trainer and a Digimon (possibly two Digimon if the bonus character thing is true, with a fun reveal scene where both trainers become Tamers) since it's oldest rival would be the most effective way to make a Pokémon reveal feel epic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If it's a faithful remake then it's going to have more content than Sword and Shield did.
It's ****ed up that you're right.
Not really? Most of gen 4's memorable content was from Platinum and while the Gracidea girl, Porygon-Z and the mismatched statues are from Platinum, the world layout uses DP's layout and not Platinum's, which had a lot more visual variety, especially noticable with the trees, so there's a good chance we won't see that excellent postgame the gen's fondly remembered for
To be fair, that's an issue with a number of Nintendo's remakes lately. I love Link's Awakening, that game was my childhood and I enjoyed my time with it, but the remake was not worth $60.
Especially as Nintendo refuses to discount games unless the stars align, see people screaming that a 20 dollar discount for a 2017 game was a steal when almost every other company that released something from 2017 has a permanent 20 dollar price cut. It's really hard recommending first party titles at 60 bucks knowing that you can't wait for a sale to see if you like it Stares at Famicom Detective Club

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So what do you guys use for Roster Makers these days now that the old one isn't really supported anymore?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Not really? Most of gen 4's memorable content was from Platinum and while the Gracidea girl, Porygon-Z and the mismatched statues are from Platinum, the world layout uses DP's layout and not Platinum's, which had a lot more visual variety, especially noticable with the trees, so there's a good chance we won't see that excellent postgame the gen's fondly remembered for

Especially as Nintendo refuses to discount games unless the stars align, see people screaming that a 20 dollar discount for a 2017 game was a steal when almost every other company that released something from 2017 has a permanent 20 dollar price cut. It's really hard recommending first party titles at 60 bucks knowing that you can't wait for a sale to see if you like it Stares at Famicom Detective Club
Base Diamond and Pearl still had more than Sword and Shield did. And I'm not just talking about Post-Game, Sword and Shield's campaign was painfully barebones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is probably very silly of me, but I can kinda see us getting a double reveal of the Legendary Trainer and a Digimon (possibly two Digimon if the bonus character thing is true, with a fun reveal scene where both trainers become Tamers) since it's oldest rival would be the most effective way to make a Pokémon reveal feel epic.
A Digimon with evolutions, which are basically transformations like Pyra/Mythra is(or Pokemon Trainer is) wouldn't be a Bonus character. They get their own numbers and is part of one full Character Pack. Let's say Agumon had Greymon and MetalGreymon(with WarGreymon as a Final Smash) as part of its line. They're their own characters and would get their own numbers.

Not that a bonus character seems realistic to me, but it wouldn't relate to a Digimon in this context. Unless it was an Echo, then they could be a bonus character.

Legendary Trainer is the exact same way. It's just the full character pack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Base Diamond and Pearl still had more than Sword and Shield did. And I'm not just talking about Post-Game, Sword and Shield's campaign was painfully barebones.
Fair enough I guess, I can't judge that because from what I've seen, SWSH is passable, but passable isn't 60 bucks material for a franchise where that would have been 40 bucks for the last 15 years

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
With E3 so close; and a good likelihood we're near the end of speculation, I decided to tick something of my bucket-list...

I've done a conspiracy theory wall!

Imgur Album incase you want to actually read any of it. https://imgur.com/a/vQRrS6e
Congrats, you are now a true Smash speculator. Which means you now get this video.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of possible bonus characters, I think it would be really cool if we got Crono as FP 11 and Magus as an echo or semiclone of Sephiroth as a bonus.

Sephiroth actually already works really well for Magus. The long reach of the Masamune could translate well to a scythe with the same animations, he floats for his run, and has shadow magic. Steph’s neutral special could be Dark Bomb and his forward special could be Dark Mist. You could slightly change the properties of his down special to be a reflector instead of a counter for Magic Barrier. The only special that might have to change completely is his up special. It could be a teleport variant to represent Black Hole.

I don’t really expect that to happen but I think it could actually work well if it did and Magus would be an amazing character for Smash.

Twilord

Smash Ace
A Digimon with evolutions, which are basically transformations like Pyra/Mythra is(or Pokemon Trainer is) wouldn't be a Bonus character. They get their own numbers and is part of one full Character Pack. Let's say Agumon had Greymon and MetalGreymon(with WarGreymon as a Final Smash) as part of its line. They're their own characters and would get their own numbers.

Not that a bonus character seems realistic to me, but it wouldn't relate to a Digimon in this context. Unless it was an Echo, then they could be a bonus character.

Legendary Trainer is the exact same way. It's just the full character pack.
You are right that won't happen and is me being silly... but Gigimon/Guilmon/Growlmon works as an echo for Koromon/Agumon/Greymon - most likely because of it's in-lore inspiration.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Speaking of possible bonus characters, I think it would be really cool if we got Crono as FP 11 and Magus as an echo or semiclone of Sephiroth as a bonus.

Sephiroth actually already works really well for Magus. The long reach of the Masamune could translate well to a scythe with the same animations, he floats for his run, and has shadow magic. Steph’s neutral special could be Dark Bomb and his forward special could be Dark Mist. You could slightly change the properties of his down special to be a reflector instead of a counter for Magic Barrier. The only special that might have to change completely is his up special. It could be a teleport variant to represent Black Hole.

I don’t really expect that to happen but I think it could actually work well if it did and Magus would be an amazing character for Smash.
Eh, a Scythe could work for slashing moves, but not for stabbing moves. At best make him a Psuedo-clone like Wolf is to Fox.

As for Digimon, I greatly think its problem is the amount of competition. While Digimon was huge, it was more known as an anime than as a video game icon, where as Bandai Namco has Dark Souls which was one of the most important video games in the 2010s alongside Minecraft, made an entire genre and is outright known as the basis for hard video games made in the modern era. Digimon is a darkhorse rep IMO, but I'd rather bank on Chosen Undead or Solaire than Agumon.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Eh, a Scythe could work for slashing moves, but not for stabbing moves. At best make him a Psuedo-clone like Wolf is to Fox.

As for Digimon, I greatly think its problem is the amount of competition. While Digimon was huge, it was more known as an anime than as a video game icon, where as Bandai Namco has Dark Souls which was one of the most important video games in the 2010s alongside Minecraft, made an entire genre and is outright known as the basis for hard video games made in the modern era. Digimon is a darkhorse rep IMO, but I'd rather bank on Chosen Undead or Solaire than Agumon.
Magus’ scythe specifically would actually work well for stabbing moves since he has a big spike on the end of it. His weapon is basically a combination of a spear and a scythe so he could use attacks for either.

1622546599923.jpeg

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The Diamond/Pearl remakes' visuals aren't stellar-looking by any means, but they definitely don't look bad. Not bad enough that they deserve to have a backlash over them at the very least.
The graphics aren't objectively bad, but I just personally dislike the chibi artstyle. I get what they're going for, it's a reference to how overworld sprites looked, but I never really noticed how compressed the sprites were. Now it's blatantly there, and it's weird that everyone becomes normal sized in battle (how does that work in universe?). Again, it's fine if you like it, it's just... not for me. At all.

Twilord

Smash Ace

If asked who they want I really don't see Bandai Namco prompting Dark Souls when FromSoftware have told them the series is over. Sorry but I feel like it's closer to Klonoa.

Tekken, Tales of, Soul Calibur, and Digimon among others seem like the ones with the best odds from an "ongoing franchise" perspective since they have new content making Bandai Namco money.

Won't go into why of those I think Digimon has really good odds, but will make the argument that if being historically important for anime as well gaming is an issue then Castlevania should watch out because it's a dead game franchise that might get more Netflix content.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If asked who they want I really don't see Bandai Namco prompting Dark Souls when FromSoftware have told them the series is over. Sorry but I feel like it's closer to Klonoa.

Tekken, Tales of, Soul Calibur, and Digimon among others seem like the ones with the best odds from an "ongoing franchise" perspective since they have new content making Bandai Namco money.

Won't go into why of those I think Digimon has really good odds, but will make the argument that if being historically important for anime as well gaming is an issue then Castlevania should watch out because it's a dead game franchise that might get more Netflix content.
At the same time, Dark Souls is easily one of the biggest franchises we've gotten in the last ten years whereas Klonoa's never really been that big and had a hiatus for longer than Dark Souls has been alive

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The Pokemon Company receiving record profits in 2020 can likely be attributed to the pandemic. Video games and anime tend to do very well when everyone is spending about 80% of the year indoors. If it was just the public falling in love with Sw/Sh, we would have seen these numbers in 2019.

Likewise, while 21m copies do make Sw/Sh a relative success and one of the series' bestsellers, I imagine it's still somewhat underwhelming to what Game Freak, the Pokemon Company, and Nintendo were expecting.

Even ignoring any critical complaints, most major Nintendo IPs making their jump to switch saw unprecedented numbers that, at times, doubled what the series would sell on average. Compare this with Sw/Sh, where the games only sold about 5 million more than the average 16 million sales that games like Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond/Pearl, and Sun/Moon did.

When Zelda and Animal Crossing, two IPs with much less promotion and brand recognition than Pokemon, outsell the series for the first time ever, the suits are going to notice.

Twilord

Smash Ace
At the same time, Dark Souls is easily one of the biggest franchises we've gotten in the last ten years whereas Klonoa's never really been that big and had a hiatus for longer than Dark Souls has been alive
You're not wrong; I may be underestimating how much Nintendo would want that and overestimating how much influence Bandai would have on which of their characters are added.

I'm sure they'd be a pretty neat character and probably a lot of fun. I kinda picture a glass canon who moves like a heavy which I don't think is a build we really have at the moment; that would be a pretty neat addition.

But I hope the reason I give them such lower odds makes sense.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well what the **** else am I supposed to do when people refuse to expect anyone smaller than Sephiroth? Do the "lol that sakurai is so unpredictable amiright?" meme?
I know I downplay all my most wanted as never evers so if it does happen, ill be utterly surprised and if it didnt Id just be able to say "knew it" and move on with my life

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Does anyone have any idea of how expensive the license to Dark Souls would be relative to other franchises? I know basically nothing about the series outside of cultural osmosis, so I genuinely have no idea.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well what the **** else am I supposed to do when people refuse to expect anyone smaller than Sephiroth? Do the "lol that sakurai is so unpredictable amiright?" meme?
How about you just...let people hope for their most wanted? You can just say "I'm glad you like a character that much, but I would recommend tempering your expectations because no character is guaranteed by any means".

Boom, that's it. If they continue to insist that their most wanted is still certain, just ignore them.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Digimon itself is also very profitable, one of their most profitable IPs outside of PAC-MAN.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Digimon itself is also very profitable, one of their most profitable IPs outside of PAC-MAN.
Would also fit with getting the Lloyd Mii since it's another ongoing Bamco RPG series as well as one of their two V-Pet series. Sorta like how Soul Calibur would also be more of candidate if we were waiting on Heihachi's Mii instead.

Whether we get it or Pokémon in the last two, I kinda hope we get a Yo-Kai Watch Mii just to get something Level 5.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Masahiro Sakurai stop dealing with the Super Smash Bros. series as some rumors say, will there be anyone else to continue it? I do not want the Super Smash Bros. series. to end.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Twilord

Smash Ace
Harada? i guess we will have to say goodbye to some characters

Glad Agumon for Smash wasn't there... but then there are so many Tekken references in Digimon games it would probably be the new Fire Emblem.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom