• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I had a thought so I figured I'd drop in and see if anyone had some input.

I've been playing Ike a bit and I was thinking about how his archetype as a fighter has changed since Brawl. He was originally the slow guy with the giant hitboxes and nobody could contest his reach. Then in Smash 4 the big bodies got bigger and Shulk sort of took over the long reach thing. In Ultimate Ike got a bit faster and Shulk traded a bit of his range for speed. Byleth came along and became the closest comparison (there are other long reach characters, but they have different weaknesses like narrow hitboxes). In a way, the torch of the slow guy with big hitboxes has passed onto a new character in each game and each character that once held that title has held onto a different part of their identity. Ike held onto his strength, while Shulk held onto his stat changes.

Are there other characters that left part of their original archetype when moving to a new game, and would you like to see a new DLC character that fills that void? The only thing I can think of is maybe Melee Sheik, but that seems like a consequence of the game engine more than anything.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey everyone. I had a thought so I figured I'd drop in and see if anyone had some input.

I've been playing Ike a bit and I was thinking about how his archetype as a fighter has changed since Brawl. He was originally the slow guy with the giant hitboxes and nobody could contest his reach. Then in Smash 4 the big bodies got bigger and Shulk sort of took over the long reach thing. In Ultimate Ike got a bit faster and Shulk traded a bit of his range for speed. Byleth came along and became the closest comparison (there are other long reach characters, but they have different weaknesses like narrow hitboxes). In a way, the torch of the slow guy with big hitboxes has passed onto a new character in each game and each character that once held that title has held onto a different part of their identity. Ike held onto his strength, while Shulk held onto his stat changes.

Are there other characters that left part of their original archetype when moving to a new game, and would you like to see a new DLC character that fills that void? The only thing I can think of is maybe Melee Sheik, but that seems like a consequence of the game engine more than anything.
Dunno much about what GnW was like in the old games, but I don't think he ever relied on doing non-stop up Bs as he did now.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I would raise Mewtwo would be someone that evolved as the series went onward. In Melee, the design at least seemed to want to base itself on his grab and unique movement with mediocre bulk, but this evolved into a glass cannon playstyle. While Mewtwo's grab is still potent, he traded a lot of bulk for a lot of speed in between games.

Pichu also comes to mind, but evolving Pichu into not a joke character I think should not count.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Kirby lost his focus on high-speed downward aerial approach, base on horizontal positioning, from Smash 64 and never quite got it back.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Imagine a Smash Cinematic Universe though...

With the human characters I can only imagine some based castings such as

:ultsnake: - David Hayter
:ultsimon: - Chris Hemsworth
:ult_terry:- Brad Pitt
:ultfalcon:- Patrick Warburton
:ultpalutena:- Demi Moore
:ultlink: - Orlando Bloom
I could add on when I get ideas
ah that reminds me of those mid 00’s zelda movie fan casts where of course people put Orlando Bloom as Link because he was Legolas on LOTR trilogy.

btw as a curious fact, supposedly link modern design was inspired by a very famous handsome hollywood actor (this was for OOT game, that means 95/96 app.)

Dunno much about what GnW was like in the old games, but I don't think he ever relied on doing non-stop up Bs as he did now.
I had a roommate who played him in Smash 4 and I still don't know what that character's deal is. I almost think being bizarre and nonsensical was the whole point.

I would raise Mewtwo would be someone that evolved as the series went onward. In Melee, the design at least seemed to want to base itself on his grab and unique movement with mediocre bulk, but this evolved into a glass cannon playstyle. While Mewtwo's grab is still potent, he traded a lot of bulk for a lot of speed in between games.

Pichu also comes to mind, but evolving Pichu into not a joke character I think should not count.
Honestly, a floaty grappler seems really neat. I'd be down for another one.

I had some Pichu-esque thoughts, too. Link came to mind, but I think his case is more that the devs struggled to find a good playstyle for him. He always felt like he was trying to straddle between a couple different things and didn't really land on anything until Ultimate.

Kirby lost his focus on high-speed downward aerial approach, base on horizontal positioning, from Smash 64 and never quite got it back.
Was the change mostly an airspeed thing? I never played 64, but I always get the impression that Kirby had a lot more mobility early on.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
ah that reminds me of those mid 00’s zelda movie fan casts where of course people put Orlando Bloom as Link because he was Legolas on LOTR trilogy.

btw as a curious fact, supposedly link modern design was inspired by a very famous handsome hollywood actor (this was for OOT game, that means 95/96 app.)
If you want to talk about Zelda weirdness from the 2000s, remember this?

Apparently the people behind the TMNT movie pitched this Zelda movie to Nintendo. As you can see, it did not become a thing. Link and Zelda look fine but Ganon...does not.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Apparently the people behind the TMNT movie pitched this Zelda movie to Nintendo. As you can see, it did not become a thing. Link and Zelda look fine but Ganon...does not.
Ganondorf looks like Gamora with Thanos's body proportions and Sephiroth's hair.

why

Twilord

Smash Ace
Was the change mostly an airspeed thing? I never played 64, but I always get the impression that Kirby had a lot more mobility early on.
Basically Kirby's down B was so OP that it's part of why Pikachu, with his lightning move counter, was top tier.

---------

Question for you all, let's say I called it right and Agumon does get in...

What other newcomer would be the absolute funniest to (at the end of their trailer and start of his) have Agumon bonded to them as their Digimon-Partner-For-Life?

Technomage

Smash Champion

I'll be honest; I do like the Star Wars Clone Wars-like look. On the other hand, Ganondorf does look weird; they also missed the opportunity to have him accompanied by Gerudo soldiers.

Basically Kirby's down B was so OP that it's part of why Pikachu, with his lightning move counter, was top tier.

---------

Question for you all, let's say I called it right and Agumon does get in...

What other newcomer would be the absolute funniest to (at the end of their trailer and start of his) have Agumon bonded to them as their Digimon-Partner-For-Life?
I'd say Lester the Unlikely; he's already funny enough as is, but he does look like the kind of kid who'd have a Digimon. XD

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

I can think of a few:

• Old Falcon (specifically his Melee counterpart, but also 64 and 4. Brawl Falcon was badly affected by the lack of combos) rely a lot on quick dashdancing to whiff punish, grab and go for combos from there. :ultfalcon: not only got a really bad turnaround animation, but also gave armor on his Side B + larger clean spots on a lot of his attacks, making Ultimate Falcon play more like a bruiser who goes for combos.
  • :luigimelee: was known for sliding all over the place and getting an opportunity to either play CQC or start a combo. The general idea of him persisted through Brawl and 4 in some form, but the combo game started to shift towards grabs in 4. And then Ultimate gave him the Poltergust and now he's gonna go for grabs 10 / 10 times.
  • Old Icies (Melee included, but especially Brawl Icies) not only had wobbling / chainthrowing, but also a much more defensive playstyle overall thanks to the fact their standard attacks did more damage and how Icicles / Blizzard functioned while waiting for an opportunity to desync. Ultimate made sure to introduce an animation for Nana to counteract this - as such, Ultimate Icies instead desync during an attack in order to start whacking on the opponent for massive damage.

With all due respect, I'd point more towards Kirby's hilariously-disjointed Up tilt and every-hit-is-a-spike Down air. Given that 64 was also the game where practically everyone could zero-to-death thanks to insanely high hitstun, very limited DI and very high shield damage... yeah.

"Ok but what about"
"GanonRoth"
The prequel to One Winged Kong we never asked for.

But with this movie pitch, it is not just a mental image, but an actual image!
... I think I'll need Brain Bleach after seeing that.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I'd say Lester the Unlikely; he's already funny enough as is, but he does look like the kind of kid who'd have a Digimon. XD

I may have had to Google them... is there a reason you think they might be a potential character? Or is it purely the comical aspect born of how weird their life story sounds?

(Seems a weird character to have on the top of your head, so I am intrigued)

Personally I kinda pictured Master Chief showing back up in the next Halo, but with Agumon as a support troop who could digivolve into Greymon - a vehicle.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I may have had to Google them... is there a reason you think they might be a potential character? Or is it purely the comical aspect born of how weird their life story sounds?

(Seems a weird character to have on the top of your head, so I am intrigued)
Definitely the latter reason. XD

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Spirits that have eyes.

BTW: Has another photo share event happened in Japan recently? That's usually around the time when the next DLC character releases.
We've had glasses and thick eyebrows events already. I suppose eyes might technically be possible, but seems a tad bit too broad in terms of how many spirits it would encompass.

Maybe another subcategory of eyes would be more focused on a realistic amount for an event. Perhaps big eyes or long eyelashes or something like that.

Graphic for the Spectacled Spirits Spirit Board event.
Banner for Eyebrow spirit event.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
We've had glasses and thick eyebrows events already. I suppose eyes might technically be possible, but seems a tad bit too broad in terms of how many spirits it would encompass.

Maybe a specific eye color, or cyclopses or triclopses, etc.?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Maybe another subcategory of eyes would be more focused on a realistic amount for an event. Perhaps big eyes or long eyelashes or something like that.

Here's a cool way to narrow it down:

Spirits without eyes, including Spirits based on items :4pacman:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
At first I was going to go, "Nintendo getting rid of any archiving again". But then I learned the site was selling the roms, so it's justified here.
Why would anyone buy a ROM lol

Honestly I think this is a good token win for Nintendo. Trying to hunt down Emulation is obviously their white whale, but taking down one emulation site is like fighting a hydra. Three more big ones will pop up by the time they take the first one down.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Last I checked, SwSh had passed the 21 M mark.

So yeah, needless to say, it doesn't seem like many people stood their ground. That or the number of long-time fans were swallowed alive by the massive number of new casuals playing Switch games.
Probably a mix of both, but the latter is what really gives it those "**** you" numbers.

Also and again, twitter doesn't understand that twitter isn't real life.

Not to say the grievances were 100% unfounded, but still. There was never a chance of Pokemon on Switch notably suffering.

Eh, I still haven't bought it. Buncha weaklings. :nifty:
I wasn't gonna buy it just because I'm kinda over playing the same Pokemon game I've been playing since the 90s with new coats of paint, but then lockdown hit and that went out the window. I am gonna skip those very nice looking Gen 4 remakes coming to the 3DS this year.

Wait, those are Switch games? Dear... god.

Shroob

Sup?
Not to beat a dead horse, but even though I was very much against the idea of the cuts, at the very least, I was hopeful that they'd make good on the game being balanced, like they said they were attempting.

And for a bit, it was, minus a few mons.

Then Crown Tundra happened and "What if we.... put back in.... ALL the Legendaries...?"

Noipoi

Howdy!
Not to beat a dead horse, but even though I was very much against the idea of the cuts, at the very least, I was hopeful that they'd make good on the game being balanced, like they said they were attempting.

And for a bit, it was, minus a few mons.

Then Crown Tundra happened and "What if we.... put back in.... ALL the Legendaries...?"
I will always cherish the short time when Landorus was gone.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
At first I was going to go, "Nintendo getting rid of any archiving again". But then I learned the site was selling the roms, so it's justified here.
They had every right to go after someone selling ROMs, but I wish publishers would keep their back catalog available on more platforms.
I guess the boycott is going well

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Pokémon can't be boycotted. New kids every year. For every boycotter five kids buy the game. It's a battle the 'old guard' won't ever win. Doomed to suffer mediocrity for the rest of our days.
yeah, Pokemon's at the point it can't be boycotted. My $60 dollars wouldn't really change anything either way, so I figured I might as well buy it to see if I would get any value out of it.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Never bought SwSh, I can only hope Arceus is good. My opinion? Idk maybe? At least it's all Sinnoh themed so I can finally move on from Galar and hopefully not have to look back. BDSP is whatever but I've bought the SMT: Nocturne remaster which is arguably much much lazier of a rerelease. I'm pretty sure tons of people stood their ground but the onlinebase is no match for the Switch userbase. Its success is a blessing yet a curse. I heard Animal Crossing is catching some flak now too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah trying to boycott a Pokemon game is like trying to boycott a Marvel movie. Good luck.

I'm so bored of speculation, it seems like we've not got any credible leaks at all since Pyra/Mythra were released. I really hope we get someone for E3.
Well, it's June now (more or less). Nintendo news should start arriving quite soon, and Smash will follow in tow. We're almost there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom