• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How would you guys feel if this was the final bit of DLC for Ultimate?
Master Chief felt like the last missing Microsoft thing. I mean, if he isn't playable, he'd better be a Mii Costume or at least have a Spirit Event. Not being in there felt awkward. It's why I found it weird Banjo & Kazooie had no Microsoft Mii costumes. It didn't take me long to figure Steve was coming after Pass 2 was told to us. I always predicted all three characters would be in Smash in some way. Spirits/Playable/Mii Costumes.

Crash I admittedly have no attachment to, but he's a great choice anyway. I have no attachment to Spyro either, so it's not one of those wars. XD

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As I mentioned I think a lot of predictions about the final pair of characters feel pretty valid given how many elements seem in play.

If I had to even suggest what they might be, my thinking leans towards a fairly significant third party fighter (my instinct goes towards Sega, Capcom) and a more modest one, with maybe an outside chance of a Gen 8 Pokémon in place of the latter.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
View attachment 315931
wow! It's the same characters as usual!
I'm not trying to single you out, but I see this mentality pop up fairly often, and it throws me.

Judging characters negatively based on a transient moment like whether the reveal was anticipated or not is focusing too much on speculative rhetoric and really downplaying the fact that a character is more than just a fragment of conversation. Being expected or not expected really says nothing about the character themselves. It says more about the fanbase, and having us be what colors your view of characters is putting stock in all the wrong things. Shouldn't the verdict around them be based on your feelings of them or their series, or how they actually play? Something lasting and innate to the actual character.

It seems strange to malign a character for being expected. Anticipation isn't inherently positive or negative. You're taking it upon yourself to fill in the blanks with negativity for reasons divorced from the actual character. You're letting this be more important than the actual game. Isn't that backwards?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Neutral, I guess. They don't really call to me that much and they're also all over the place in speculation, and the mix of uninterest and overexposure would be... Kinda meh, personally. At the very least, though, I have this friend who would get a Switch, a copy of Smash, and the Master Chief DLC if the guy got in, so I can at least let his excitement spread to me in that scenario.

I'm not trying to single you out, but I see this mentality pop up fairly often, and it throws me.

Judging characters negatively based on a transient moment like whether the reveal was anticipated or not is focusing too much on speculative rhetoric and really downplaying the fact that a character is more than just a fragment of conversation. Being expected or not expected really says nothing about the character themselves. It says more about the fanbase, and having us be what colors your view of characters is putting stock in all the wrong things. Shouldn't the verdict around them be based on your feelings of them or their series, or how they actually play? Something lasting and innate to the actual character.

It seems strange to malign a character for being expected. Anticipation isn't inherently positive or negative. You're taking it upon yourself to fill in the blanks with negativity for reasons divorced from the actual character. You're letting this be more important than the actual game. Isn't that backwards?
I'm kinda just popping in after lurking a bunch, but I think there's a point where the question of how people feel about commonly discussed characters gets redundant, not necessarily the characters themselves. Master Chief would be a huge addition. I don't think anyone would deny that, but I think people get tired of saying "I would like Master Chief in Smash" or "I wouldn't." It's a little like hearing your uncle tell the same story for the fifteenth time. You get to the point where you just don't want to hear the story anymore, even if it's good. Or if you're struggling mentally in the same way for a long time it can get tiring when people ask you how you're doing because the answer hasn't changed.

It might help to discuss things like how the stages would be handled or if there is a nice balance of tones/atmospheres brought by those characters' conclusions. For instance, how would people imagine Chief's stage? I haven't seen that discussed much. Would it be outdoors? Part of a station? Idk, I know nothing about Halo, but that kind of thing could spice things up enough to get less of an "ugh" reaction.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Was happy to see Final Fantasy be given justice and found a surprising new main with the Aegis.

So whatever the rest of the DLC gives, I don't really care because I'm honestly really satisfied.

So I guess I wouldn't feel dissapointed, at least.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Shroob

Sup?
Neutral, I guess. They don't really call to me that much and they're also all over the place in speculation, and the mix of uninterest and overexposure would be... Kinda meh, personally. At the very least, though, I have this friend who would get a Switch, a copy of Smash, and the Master Chief DLC if the guy got in, so I can at least let his excitement spread to me in that scenario.
Bruh, I have a friend who knows a dude just like that wtf.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'd be pretty happy. Crash would be a really good character to have. I'm pretty neutral on Master Chief because I'm more of a fan of Sgt. Cortez and Chun Li would be a decent bonus character.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, I kind of hope the hypothetical bonus character is another Piranha Plant situation. I want one last weird Sakurai pick before this ride ends, especially if this finally ends up being his final game.

Anyone could make a moveset for Crash/Master Chief/(insert big name request here), only Sakurai could make a moveset for Diskun.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, I kind of hope the hypothetical bonus character is another Piranha Plant situation. I want one last weird Sakurai pick before this ride ends, especially if this finally ends up being his final game.

Anyone could make a moveset for Crash/Master Chief/(insert big name request here), only Sakurai could make a moveset for Diskun.
If there was ever an oppurtunity to somehow make a Tetris piece playable in Smash, that would be the time.

SKX31

Smash Master
Its where the unfortunate thing with Sega becomes apparent given that even with releases like the Genesis Classics, so much of their history lies in the Arcades, Master System, Saturn, and Dreamcast, systems that are far more hit and miss with their re-releases or ports. Moreover the fact that there isn't a Sega equivalent to Smash means that one of the best avenues for introducing young players to so many classic Sega franchises simply isn't there. It often feels like projects like fan games are the means that older series stay alive when mainstream gaming really doesn't give them the opportunity.
Part of the reason I'd imagine is that quite a few of SEGA's more stable franchises aren't really homegrown - instead you have cases like Football Manager (Sports Interactive, based in London) and Total War (Creative Assembly, Horsham, also UK) which most people here wouldn't count as SEGA. And are far from likely to appear in Smash, lets be real. But nevertheless those two series are very much impactful and have helped SEGA quite a lot:

• Football Manager is routinely up there on the Steam sales charts, has a very rabid fanbase and has such an extensive database of footballers (FM21 has 117 leagues representing 52 countries) that there have been talk whether it can be a useful scouting tool for real clubs.
  • Total War is practically one of the biggest Grand Strategy series out there, and likewise is a big ticket Steam series. Some of its older games are still played to this day.

I do kinda think they had something half-similar going with Sonic and SEGA All-Star Racing (both franchises appeared in Transformed), but SEGA kinda went back to Square 1 with Sonic Team Racing.

• Neutral-to-slightly-positive on Crash, could be really fun if they just embrace aerial mobility out of the wazoo. (I'd kinda dread if Crash turned out to be like :ultfalco: in several aspects because I've personally struggled a bit with online Falcos, but at least I'd have more excuses to randomly shout "DAT AIN'T FALCO!" when facing the character).
  • Chief is one of my most wanted partly because I want to see the internet blow up. As long as his playstyle doesn't devolve into camping (which I'm pretty confident it won't given Chief's melee options) I'm good.
  • Chun-Li is another neutral-to-slightly-positive. I'm much more partial to Dante and Amaterasu, so missing out on them would make me go "Aaaw..." deep inside. Still, Chun is a cool and interesting character in her own right and could bring in some good content herself. She could be another one of those characters that are really difficult / possibly annoying to face online though (then again, so are characters like :ultken: and :ultsonic: , so it's not the end of the world), but that's a kinda minor complaint in context.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'm kinda just popping in after lurking a bunch, but I think there's a point where the question of how people feel about commonly discussed characters gets redundant, not necessarily the characters themselves. Master Chief would be a huge addition. I don't think anyone would deny that, but I think people get tired of saying "I would like Master Chief in Smash" or "I wouldn't." It's a little like hearing your uncle tell the same story for the fifteenth time. You get to the point where you just don't want to hear the story anymore, even if it's good. Or if you're struggling mentally in the same way for a long time it can get tiring when people ask you how you're doing because the answer hasn't changed.

It might help to discuss things like how the stages would be handled or if there is a nice balance of tones/atmospheres brought by those characters' conclusions. For instance, how would people imagine Chief's stage? I haven't seen that discussed much. Would it be outdoors? Part of a station? Idk, I know nothing about Halo, but that kind of thing could spice things up enough to get less of an "ugh" reaction.
I understand redundancy, but letting that bleed into your actual feelings about the character does no one any good. It isn't going to make people talk about it less, it isn't going to make the character more or less likely, and it isn't going to help you if we actually get the character. Like I said, this should not be more important that the game, so if that's happening wherein you see a commonly requested character and you go "ugh" simply because you've seen their name too many times, and if you aren't able to protect your judgments from monotony, you're only doing yourself a disservice by sticking it out. You're hindering your own enjoyment of something you otherwise might appreciate. Or at least not feel so negatively about.

And varying the conversation would help, I agree. But one, that's not the typical reaction instead of just complaining, and two, that's only going to shift focus from the regular topics for so long. It's an impermanent solution. The best solution if your acceptance of certain characters is being eroded simply by hearing about them ad nauseam is distance and moderation until the paradigm shifts, because you won't be able to change the tide of the conversation.

Though frankly for all the bemoaning about the same characters being rehashed, I think a lot of those people would change their tune once the character actually shows up, if they do. Before a character shows up people tend to treat them as the idea of that character, rather than how they would actually be realized, which usually results in them getting swayed by tangibility.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be that excited about Crash getting in. He'd be alright but I guess he just doesn't appeal to me.

I'd be hella thrilled with Master Chief.

Also, yes to Chun-Li. Bring in the Spinning Bird Kicks and Tenshokyaku.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

If I was tired of seeing the same stuff come up on an internet forum I would either simply ignore it and go about my day and return later or try and bring up something else instead of making a half-hearted attempt at tearing down the thing I'm tired of seeing and in the process making some really dumb, inflammatory comments that get people on my case and less inclined to take me seriously in future.
No one's really being forced to respond here.

But also I have to be honest, what happens if that person's most wanted was the popular speculation darling coming up all the time? Would they stick to their guns and support their character? Or do they get tired of it because they're "too popular" in here? I've raised this particular point before because a character being well regarded and popular is a really silly and arbitrary reason to be against any character.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
First of all, it's fully okay if you're not wholly familiar with how damage / knockback / ink work - partly because damage and knockback are one of those nitty-gritty things that are important but are difficult for a more casual observer to distinguish.

That said, I'm going into this by comparing / contrasting to :ultinkling: . Inkling generally likes to wrack up damage with fast attacks, particularily if she can get a grab or an aerial; she's also able to switch to a more defensive keepaway style if needed, which makes her very good at battling most swordies. Inkling does have issues KOing outside of specific situations and her grounded moves aren't superb either. :ultshulk: in particular can give Inkling a lot of trouble since he can survive for long, outrange her all the time and kill her early.

I'm mentioning this since what I especially like about the moveset is that it gives Octoling a different playstyle and gives Octoling a more defined trait. In particular, I like that most of the moves - Dash Attack and F-Air are notable examples - give some more incentive to zone / whiff punish while also giving Octoling a bit of damage wracking (primarily with U-Tilt). With that Octoling might not look to wrack up damage as quickly as Inkling, Octoling would have a bit more range and more ability to cover different situations as a tradeoff.

If there's one point of criticism I have, it's that almost every move (aside from F-Tilt and U-Air) uses ink and as such Octoling would be much more vurnerable to depletion. Now this is mitigated by the different, more defensive playstyle, but having to stop and refill relatively often could be a bit too detrimental to Octoling. Not just people finding out all of a sudden "**** have to go get more ink" but also having to re-fill more often. Maybe a couple more moves could take a bit less (N-Air, Dash Attack)?

Furukawa / other Nintendo exec: Laughs in the background, satisfied that their plan to have Smash function as a gateway has completely succeeded. :4pacman:
I really appreciate the feedback, thanks! I went into it thinking Octoling would use up more ink than Inkling, since I felt Inkling had too many physical attacks. As such I may have overdone it with ink based attacks, I could probably replace one or two and/or let them use up less ink. But seriously, I appreciate the comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

As a side note, I do understand the basics of the damage/knockback/ink mechanics, I just didn’t want to delve into exact percents of “this move should do X% with Y knockback and covers the opponent with Z amount of ink.” because I didn’t want people ragging on me that moves were too overpowered/underwhelming, because that wasn’t the point. The point was just to give Octoling a semi-clone/unique moveset pulling from the Splatoon series, covering stuff Inkling hasn’t already.

Again though, the feedback and comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Chun Li was considered during the game's development until they decided to put Ken instead. I don't mind her. Plus we might get her Alpha alt and of course, someone will recreate this infamous moment.
That was just a rumor that hasn’t been confirmed. We DO know Decidueye was once considered before Sakurai decided to go with Incineroar

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Adding on to this, if someone's using "discussed all the time" as a point against a character, chances are they don't care for that character in the first place and that's why the constant discussing irritates them so much. You dying to see Master Chief finish the fight? Keep it coming, you can talk all day. Green shooty space marines not your thing? MC discussion stamina tanks are gonna be much smaller. "Meh, they're talked about too much" is basically a shprthand for "I don't care about this guy, can we talk about someone else?"

Technomage

Smash Champion
Doesn't Chun-Li already wear tights in her main outfit?

Like yeah this is her TvC appearance, but I'm pretty positive Chun-Li already wears opaque tights for her main outfit in general.
Yeah, but you can see through her tights (as can be seen by her many appearances in that outfit, such as her classic SF2 sprites).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Reminder that if you’re bored of the same characters coming up you’re welcome to start up a new discussion about the character you’d like to talk about. Certain characters pop up here more often than you’d expect simply because they have dedicated fans who bring them into the conversation.

I mean yeah, I’m tired of the community revolving around the same names too, but this place in particular is a lot more open to and excited to discuss some more out there possibilities when presented with them. Even if they don’t perceive them as particularly likely... it’s just something cool to talk about.

But instead of saying “wow those characters are boring!” you could say like... “it would be cool if we had something in there to shake things up” and present some options for variety sake. Like, I personally don’t like Crash very much for example. But outright negativity toward a character just for being popular is never gonna be received very well.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Adding on to this, if someone's using "discussed all the time" as a point against a character, chances are they don't care for that character in the first place and that's why the constant discussing irritates them so much. You dying to see Master Chief finish the fight? Keep it coming, you can talk all day. Green shooty space marines not your thing? MC discussion stamina tanks are gonna be much smaller. "Meh, they're talked about too much" is basically a shprthand for "I don't care about this guy, can we talk about someone else?"
Then the solution is to either actually talk about someone else or step away for a bit instead of making a flippant comment that does nothing but annoy people who enjoy talking about those characters.

No one has to like every character. Just don't be an ass about it.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Halo infinite's been in development for a reeeeal long time, I'd be very surprised if his stage wasn't Zeta Halo (the main location of Infinite.)

As far as moveset goes? A ton of weapons to choose from. Assault rifle would be classic, I think incorporating the pistol into a throw a la fox would be good. Needler would be cool, but maybe not worth the special slot. Gotta incorporate grenades somehow, even if just the sticky grenade to distinguish from snake. Melee smash attacks with various melee weapons (sword, grav hammer) would be expected. Final smash is a spartan laser, or maybe a Mac cannon from Infinity in orbit (unless they wanna go full on Activate-a-Halo, but me thinks that's a little extreme.) Weapon beat down forward tilt.

He should be able to crouch like in game, for the full halo teabagging experience.

Passive ability: bonus weapon headshot damage. It makes sense to me, but I also don't know how you work that into Jigglypuff/Kirby/Pac-Man/etc without being a little overpowered.

Taunt 1: slinging the assault rifle on his shoulder pose

Taunt 2: pulling out Cortanas data pad, and having her shimmer into existence for a couple seconds

Taunt 3: violently teabagging the ground

Stage entrance should be a drop pod (that'd link with an Infinity Final Smash)

Red, blue, green, and black are four obvious costumes, maybe throw in a CE variant but Tbh I think it'd look pretty dated.

Music choices? Warthog run, main theme, and blow me away mjolnir mix (but probably instrumentalized like a lot of sonics stuff) are the only three I really wanna see. The rest would just be bonus. (halo boys, smack me if I'm forgetting something on music)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom