• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still think there are plot holes regarding the whole FP5, Like the fact it didn't seem like the Source knew Byleth was FP5, and why they got Confused on KOS-MOS, and such. But I'm not gonna get into it now. I'll justleave it here
I was literally there, hearing it and seeing from them what was said texto.
It's not that they didn't know it was Byleth
It was LITERALLY to not get caught.

I'd go down my ****ty discord group list to post screenshots, but I left it a long ago, dropping this leaker circle **** forever with how horrible the circlejerk and how bad some people were.

the Kos-Mos stuff is probably just Vergeben's own missinterpretation, but that's it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Calling it now: If a Fighters Pass 3 is happening, FP11 has a super high likeliness of being another "Byleth" situation because Nintendo may choose to blatantly end off with another first party most people may not want.

Can't lie, such an example could be an UNWANTED Gen 8 Pokemon. I say "unwanted" because some Gen 8 Mons actually have a good fanbase, e.g. Toxtricity.
Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel like FP11 will be another Byleth situation even without Fighter Pass 3. Mostly based on past trends, of course...

SKX31

Smash Master
OK so back when Splatoon 3 got announced, there was some talk in here about Octoling becoming playable (whether that would be in this game or another Smash game, who knows). But the current general consensus is that Octoling would make a great Echo, just swap Splattershot for Octoshot. And that's still a very reasonable and plausible idea. However, I wanted to see what I could do to make the character unique, if not an Isabelle to Inkling's Villager. I didn't include anything from the brief Splatoon 3 footage we've seen, I felt that would make it too messy and just throwing stuff in for the sake of having it. Anything not explicitly mentioned in here (rolls, floor/ledge attacks, grabs and throws etc.) function just like Inkling's, and Octoling would have the same ink mechanic. Finally, I'm not all that great with judging how much a move should damage/knockback/ink an opponent or deplete the ink tank, so my numbers and descriptions are just there for an idea. Also keep in mind, there are some Octo-Expansion spoilers (mainly with aesthetics and the stage). Without further ado, I give you my own Octoling moveset/character pack. Hope you all enjoy. And I suppose I'll tag our resident Octoling supporter Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .
First of all, it's fully okay if you're not wholly familiar with how damage / knockback / ink work - partly because damage and knockback are one of those nitty-gritty things that are important but are difficult for a more casual observer to distinguish.

That said, I'm going into this by comparing / contrasting to :ultinkling: . Inkling generally likes to wrack up damage with fast attacks, particularily if she can get a grab or an aerial; she's also able to switch to a more defensive keepaway style if needed, which makes her very good at battling most swordies. Inkling does have issues KOing outside of specific situations and her grounded moves aren't superb either. :ultshulk: in particular can give Inkling a lot of trouble since he can survive for long, outrange her all the time and kill her early.

I'm mentioning this since what I especially like about the moveset is that it gives Octoling a different playstyle and gives Octoling a more defined trait. In particular, I like that most of the moves - Dash Attack and F-Air are notable examples - give some more incentive to zone / whiff punish while also giving Octoling a bit of damage wracking (primarily with U-Tilt). With that Octoling might not look to wrack up damage as quickly as Inkling, Octoling would have a bit more range and more ability to cover different situations as a tradeoff.

If there's one point of criticism I have, it's that almost every move (aside from F-Tilt and U-Air) uses ink and as such Octoling would be much more vurnerable to depletion. Now this is mitigated by the different, more defensive playstyle, but having to stop and refill relatively often could be a bit too detrimental to Octoling. Not just people finding out all of a sudden "**** have to go get more ink" but also having to re-fill more often. Maybe a couple more moves could take a bit less (N-Air, Dash Attack)?

And Maybe because of this journey many people have learned about so many new games and franchises, That is the real Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.
Furukawa / other Nintendo exec: Laughs in the background, satisfied that their plan to have Smash function as a gateway has completely succeeded. :4pacman:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I was literally there, hearing it and seeing from them what was said texto.
It's not that they didn't know it was Byleth
It was LITERALLY to not get caught.

I'd go down my *ty discord group list to post screenshots, but I left it a long ago, dropping this leaker circle * forever with how horrible the circlejerk and how bad some people were.

the Kos-Mos stuff is probably just Vergeben's own missinterpretation, but that's it.
I mean since you were there, and you have Screenshots, the Info here is viable. I just think how the situation went down just brought out some questions that I thought was worth asking

I Still have my Grievances, but I'll drop it for now

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It was literally like 15 minutes before the reveal.

Which made me kinda mad because at that point, why leak the character? It was subtle but not cryptic enough to not realize who the character was. I decided to go to Twitter before the announcement, saw her tweet and got "spoiled".
His Min Min hint was pretty good, but I'm glad I didn't see the Steve post because that's as subtle as a brick wall. If I had to try to do it, I would've done something like "wow, it feels like it's been 343 days since the last character". Steve is fighter 7, 7 cubed is 343 (and it disguises itself as a master chief reference).

ZelDan

Smash Master
His Min Min hint was pretty good, but I'm glad I didn't see the Steve post because that's as subtle as a brick wall. If I had to try to do it, I would've done something like "wow, it feels like it's been 343 days since the last character". Steve is fighter 7, 7 cubed is 343 (and it disguises itself as a master chief reference).
Well, you certainly would have disguised it better for Steve supporters.

At the cost of really pissing off Master Chief supporters.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Sabi? I don't know exactly what you were talking about, but that name works. They were the one who claimed Lloyd wasn't coming for CP5 and then kinda dropped off the face of the planet iirc.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ugh, can you just tell us? At least give a link to an article or something.
Sabi? I don't know exactly what you were talking about, but that name works. They were the one who deconfirmed Lloyd for CP5 and then kinda dropped off the face of the planet iirc.
The less said about Sabi, the best.

It's best to drop it here.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sabi? I don't know exactly what you were talking about, but that name works. They were the one who deconfirmed Lloyd for CP5 and then kinda dropped off the face of the planet iirc.
After doing some checking, I think you're right about Sabi.

The less said about Sabi, the best.

It's best to drop it here.
Then, what's a good website to do my research about that person on? With that info, I can drop it and still learn about that person.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
How old you feel if Eggman was out SEGA rep for Vol. 2
OK now uh

This I wouldn't be so down for, tbh

I wanna make it clear that I fully admit this is just dumb, petty personal gripes on my part. This isn't me going "here's why eggman would be an Objectively Bad Choice", but tbh I just need to kinda vent about why Eggman would be kind of a bummer for me

First off, and I already went over some of this in another thread, but there's just so much other SEGA stuff I'd rather see, and more specifically, I feel like we're lacking in some more in-house stuff. Now then, I'm not trying to be a purist, I don't think Bayonetta or Persona aren't "real" SEGA or some stupid **** like that, but in-house SEGA stuff has a vibe. They just have a really distinct way of making really great and memorable character designs, and it makes me almost see them as a "family", in the same way that a lot of people see Capcom's characters. And, generally speaking, that part of SEGA is what I care about the most from them. Most of my favorite SEGA stuff comes from that umbrella! But that side of things...isn't really all that well represented in Smash. Sonic is Sonic, that's kinda in its own ballpark, but the other two characters we have are from outside devs or acquired studios. Which, again, that's not necessarily bad, I'm not trying to imply they're somehow lesser, but frankly I just wanna see more of the SEGA I love. From that side of things, we only really have the Virtua Fighter content and the Bayo remix of After Burner, which I love that these are there, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much. I just wanna see my favorite part of this company's IP library celebrated some more in this huge-ass game, which I'll elaborate more on later. I've just been waiting for someone from this side of SEGA to come in for a while now, and I'd be pretty disappointed if we were on our fourth damned SEGA rep by now, and this could finally be the chance for one of these characters to get in, and iiiiiiiiiit's...more Sonic. And I'll have to get back to waiting in line again.

Another reason is that I'm just kinda frustrated at the mentality that "well Sonic is so much bigger than all the other series, so it should be next". I dunno, it just annoys me.

Another thing is the fact that so many people only see SEGA as a Sonic machine. As a really big SEGA fan, it frustrates me that the SEGA community has so much more of this disconnect compared to other VG companies, where this large of a percentage of it cares about one series and one series only. No other big VG company I can think of has this big of a bubble in its community. This is the part where I have to stress that this whole thing reaaaaaaaaaally isn't a genuine argument against Eggman and is just how I personally feel, but being completely honest, it does make me feel kinda sad that SEGA has a bajillion great IPs I could keep on gushing about, and what most people would rather have next from them in Smash is...more Sonic. Cause at the end of the day, I do want more people to be into what I'm into! Sure, it can backfire and the community I'm in ends up being flooded with unfunny memes, but if it works out, well now I have a buncha more people to talk to about the things I like and more bridges are formed in this community! And I think in that regard is why Eggman would be a bummer to me, cause it'd just maintain the general perception that Sonic is all they have.

Somewhat related is the notion that "uhhhhh well actually sega don't really have a lot of good options". Bruh. This is one that's really irritating me, cause I've seen people basically act like every SEGA character outside of a handful of their big IPs is this irrelevant nobody with no legacy whatsoever, and goddamn, dude. A few weeks back, I was on Discord, and the topic of Opa-Opa came up, and someone compared him to Buck Bumble. Even if people are aware of some of their other IPs, there's still the notion that SEGA haven't really done anything notable for the gaming industry that doesn't involve fast blue hedgehogs and mayyyyyyybe, on a really lucky day, some combination of demon summoning, Japanese crime dudes and falling blobs, and that's simply not true man. I want more people to be aware of just how much legacy they actually have.

Thing is, honestly? I ****ing love Eggman! I'd honestly consider him to be one of my favorite Sonic characters and one of my favorite VG villains. But if I had the choice to either double dip into Sonic or show the world what I love about Yakuza or Puyo Puyo or Sakura Wars or Phantasy Star or Virtua Fighter or Shenmue or Fantasy Zone or Jet Set Radio or House of the Dead or Streets of Rage? Yeah I'd pick the latter. Again, I love Eggman, just the fact that it's ****ing Eggman would probably prevent me from outright disliking his inclusion, but the cons just outweigh the pros for me.

TL;DR, I'm a big fan of the "classic" SEGA stuff in particular, which we still haven't gotten anyone from (not counting Sonic who's...Sonic), and Eggman would set that back by another god-knows-how-long. Adding salt in the wound is A. the amount of people that only see SEGA as Sonic, and B. the notion that "well actually they don't really have a lot of good IPs", and all of that combined just makes Eggman's possible inclusion a Big Ol' Bummer for me. It'd be retreading old ground when my personal favorite ground has still yet to be treaded at all, and most people either only know about the old ground or don't think the other ground is worth treading when lemme tell ya, some real good **** has come outta that ground.

Sorry for the galaxy-sized essay here, but I needed to let off some steam

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
After doing some checking, I think you're right about Sabi.

Then, what's a good website to do my research about that person on? With that info, I can drop it and still learn about that person.
Probably the prior thread.

They did and said some pretty abhorrent things, so I'm not gonna touch this topic more than necessary.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, how do people stumble across leaks? Do they just poke around 4chan and the like out of sheer boredom until they find something? Is there a search bar to find keywords with? I dunno how this works, but if we can just find stuff by looking it up and we're that desperate for rumors then we should be able to find some.

This is gonna screw us all over isn't it

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Probably the prior thread.

They did and said some pretty abhorrent things, so I'm not gonna touch this topic more than necessary.
Found a good Google document detailing it, so I got no more questions about that. Moving on, now...

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
OK now uh

This I wouldn't be so down for, tbh

I wanna make it clear that I fully admit this is just dumb, petty personal gripes on my part. This isn't me going "here's why eggman would be an Objectively Bad Choice", but tbh I just need to kinda vent about why Eggman would be kind of a bummer for me

First off, and I already went over some of this in another thread, but there's just so much other SEGA stuff I'd rather see, and more specifically, I feel like we're lacking in some more in-house stuff. Now then, I'm not trying to be a purist, I don't think Bayonetta or Persona aren't "real" SEGA or some stupid **** like that, but in-house SEGA stuff has a vibe. They just have a really distinct way of making really great and memorable character designs, and it makes me almost see them as a "family", in the same way that a lot of people see Capcom's characters. And, generally speaking, that part of SEGA is what I care about the most from them. Most of my favorite SEGA stuff comes from that umbrella! But that side of things...isn't really all that well represented in Smash. Sonic is Sonic, that's kinda in its own ballpark, but the other two characters we have are from outside devs or acquired studios. Which, again, that's not necessarily bad, I'm not trying to imply they're somehow lesser, but frankly I just wanna see more of the SEGA I love. From that side of things, we only really have the Virtua Fighter content and the Bayo remix of After Burner, which I love that these are there, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much. I just wanna see my favorite part of this company's IP library celebrated some more in this huge-ass game, which I'll elaborate more on later. I've just been waiting for someone from this side of SEGA to come in for a while now, and I'd be pretty disappointed if we were on our fourth damned SEGA rep by now, and this could finally be the chance for one of these characters to get in, and iiiiiiiiiit's...more Sonic. And I'll have to get back to waiting in line again.

Another reason is that I'm just kinda frustrated at the mentality that "well Sonic is so much bigger than all the other series, so it should be next". I dunno, it just annoys me.

Another thing is the fact that so many people only see SEGA as a Sonic machine. As a really big SEGA fan, it frustrates me that the SEGA community has so much more of this disconnect compared to other VG companies, where this large of a percentage of it cares about one series and one series only. No other big VG company I can think of has this big of a bubble in its community. This is the part where I have to stress that this whole thing reaaaaaaaaaally isn't a genuine argument against Eggman and is just how I personally feel, but being completely honest, it does make me feel kinda sad that SEGA has a bajillion great IPs I could keep on gushing about, and what most people would rather have next from them in Smash is...more Sonic. Cause at the end of the day, I do want more people to be into what I'm into! Sure, it can backfire and the community I'm in ends up being flooded with unfunny memes, but if it works out, well now I have a buncha more people to talk to about the things I like and more bridges are formed in this community! And I think in that regard is why Eggman would be a bummer to me, cause it'd just maintain the general perception that Sonic is all they have.

Somewhat related is the notion that "uhhhhh well actually sega don't really have a lot of good options". Bruh. This is one that's really irritating me, cause I've seen people basically act like every SEGA character outside of a handful of their big IPs is this irrelevant nobody with no legacy whatsoever, and goddamn, dude. A few weeks back, I was on Discord, and the topic of Opa-Opa came up, and someone compared him to Buck Bumble. Even if people are aware of some of their other IPs, there's still the notion that SEGA haven't really done anything notable for the gaming industry that doesn't involve fast blue hedgehogs and mayyyyyyybe, on a really lucky day, some combination of demon summoning, Japanese crime dudes and falling blobs, and that's simply not true man. I want more people to be aware of just how much legacy they actually have.

Thing is, honestly? I ****ing love Eggman! I'd honestly consider him to be one of my favorite Sonic characters and one of my favorite VG villains. But if I had the choice to either double dip into Sonic or show the world what I love about Yakuza or Puyo Puyo or Sakura Wars or Phantasy Star or Virtua Fighter or Shenmue or Fantasy Zone or Jet Set Radio or House of the Dead or Streets of Rage? Yeah I'd pick the latter. Again, I love Eggman, just the fact that it's ****ing Eggman would probably prevent me from outright disliking his inclusion, but the cons just outweigh the pros for me.

TL;DR, I'm a big fan of the "classic" SEGA stuff in particular, which we still haven't gotten anyone from (not counting Sonic who's...Sonic), and Eggman would set that back by another god-knows-how-long. Adding salt in the wound is A. the amount of people that only see SEGA as Sonic, and B. the notion that "well actually they don't really have a lot of good IPs", and all of that combined just makes Eggman's possible inclusion a Big Ol' Bummer for me. It'd be retreading old ground when my personal favorite ground has still yet to be treaded at all, and most people either only know about the old ground or don't think the ground I like is worth treading.

Sorry for the galaxy-sized essay here, but I needed to let off some steam
If nothing else, I think a lot of the context related to this demonstrates the power of legacy and how major IP's not being reinforced through appearances or notable releases can often be unfairly ignored by a lot of the broader public.

Its a bit of a joke that Nintendo will often reference various old franchises and not hesitate to throw in stuff like a Balloon Fight stage of all things in Smash. However the effect of things like that is that it keeps so many series in the minds of younger players. We may complain about the stagnated nature of NES and SNES online, but I have little doubt there's been loads of kids exposed to old school titles through stuff just like that.

Its where the unfortunate thing with Sega becomes apparent given that even with releases like the Genesis Classics, so much of their history lies in the Arcades, Master System, Saturn, and Dreamcast, systems that are far more hit and miss with their re-releases or ports. Moreover the fact that there isn't a Sega equivalent to Smash means that one of the best avenues for introducing young players to so many classic Sega franchises simply isn't there. It often feels like projects like fan games are the means that older series stay alive when mainstream gaming really doesn't give them the opportunity.

And the sad thing is that Sega is still at the luckier end compared to all sorts of various defunct or absorbed companies whose titles are gradually being left in the dustbin of history. Its amazing to even consider the sheer amount of Amiga or ZX Spectrum games that have been left forgotten outside dedicated hobbyists (often of the UK variety). In that case you arguably have generations of consoles that get pushed aside in the broader narrative of gaming.

So with all that, I do empathize with the desire to have Sega representation beyond Sonic, especially given that the latter has kept relevant because there's been constant output and releases by the company so consistently.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So......do we want to do a list of which characters that are heavily speculated and may have a big chance before E3? I mean, nothing bad can really come out of it and there's always the chance that we do a big list of compiled characters and we get none of them, making for a possible good/bad/whatever surprise.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
So......do we want to do a list of which characters that are heavily speculated and may have a big chance before E3? I mean, nothing bad can really come out of it and there's always the chance that we do a big list of compiled characters and we get none of them, making for a possible good/bad/whatever surprise.
I honestly...have no idea who has a chance tbh. The only thing I'm confident in is that these last two characters are it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Master Chief
That's what it feels like lately, maybe with a dash of Dr. Eggman and Ayumi thrown in there from time to time. Still, it's mainly those two as the speculation darlings nowadays.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I honestly...have no idea who has a chance tbh. The only thing I'm confident in is that these last two characters are it.
Well, I'm also confident that one will not contain Wander from Shadow of the Colossus.

That aside, of course we don't know which characters will get in Smash in the end, but I don't see a problem with us making a list of the potential characters.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Let's see, I'd say:

Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Sora
Ayumi Tachibana
Sol Badguy
Solaire of Astora or the Chosen Undead
Dr. Eggman
Ahri
Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Well, I'm also confident that one will not contain Wander from Shadow of the Colossus.

That aside, of course we don't know which characters will get in Smash in the end, but I don't see a problem with us making a list of the potential characters.
Let's see...uhh...

Lara Croft
Chosen Undead
Master Chief
Sol Badguy(?)

See, I really don't know because I have major doubt in all of those.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
How would you guys feel if this was the final bit of DLC for Ultimate?
While it’d be a little disappointing that Capcom’s 4th addition would be a 3rd Street Fighter rep, Chun Li has a solid pedigree, so I’d be cool with it. And obviously, I’d be stoked for Master Chief and Cash Banooka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom