• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey, none of that. I know Zero Suit Samus isn't so non-iconic, but I was talking Smash only. Not Zero Mission.
I brought up Zero Mission because that's where Sakurai got the idea of adding Zero Suit Samus as you play as ZSS at the endgame. It turns into a stealth game as you're frail as **** and the most you can do against enemies is tase them for a few seconds but only if your paralyzer's fully charged. She's the biggest outlier compared to the rest of the cast even today

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I brought up Zero Mission because that's where Sakurai got the idea of adding Zero Suit Samus as you play as ZSS at the endgame. It turns into a stealth game as you're frail as **** and the most you can do against enemies is tase them for a few seconds but only if your paralyzer's fully charged. She's the biggest outlier compared to the rest of the cast even today
Yeah, I know, but I thought we were previously talking about some people thinking Zero Suit Samus replacing Suited Samus in Brawl before.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Why would they add a version of Samus without her Power Suit which was meant to be her being completely defenseless in Zero Mission? Zero Suit Samus makes no goddamn sense in any way and is easily one of the strangest additions to the series
Well you can go to Source Gaming's why characters got selected series for that!

Basically they theorize Sakurai wanted a gimmick character with the brand spanking new Final Smash mechanic at the time, taking the Zelda Sheik transformation concept and adding a final smash to it, as well as the fact that Zero Mission was brand new and armorless Samus had been a big concept that fans of the series had been interested in since the start, even she wasn't playable without armor until Zero Mission. And he wanted to add another Metroid rep but Ridley was still viewed as too big at the time and the rest were mostly one offs.

And in case anyone else is interested they also did videos for Smash 64 and Melee.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well you can go to Source Gaming's why characters got selected series for that!

Basically they theorize Sakurai wanted a gimmick character with the brand spanking new Final Smash mechanic at the time, taking the Zelda Sheik transformation concept and adding a final smash to it, as well as the fact that Zero Mission was brand new and armorless Samus had been a big concept that fans of the series had been interested in since the start, even she wasn't playable without armor until Zero Mission. And he wanted to add another Metroid rep but Ridley was still viewed as too big at the time and the rest were mostly one offs.

And in case you want more they also did videos for Smash 64 and Melee.

Oh I'm well aware of why, I just feel that ZSS is an enigma and that it's not so strange to have questions about her back then as obvious as it all is in hindsight

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I can remember that someone here was convinced that Yoshi and Captain Falcon where going to be cut from brawl to smash 4 because of how long it took to confirm them.
on the other side I looked like a jerk reassuring my cousin that ice climbers would be back (he used them heavily in melee and brawl) because “they weren’t clones and some characters just take a while to reconfirm. Lookat Yoshi still not being confirmed yet, of course he’s coming back.”

did not think I could have been wrong. But I was.

And the same cousin does not like IC in ultimate.

Technomage

Smash Champion
that and something along the lines of a Digivice or a Digiegg from Digimon,
Already ahead of ya', mate. I made this post about two pages ago:

Another idea I have for new summoning item: Since Bandai-Namco is developing the game, the Digivices from Digimon could have been a great idea for a summoning item, as well as an idea that wouldn't be that much of a hassle to add despite B-N being third-party.

Now I'm starting to like the idea of Digimon content getting in the game and Agumon getting into the roster (the latter of which could open the floodgates for Digimon summons). That's leading me to make up a list of Digimon (and other digital entities in the series) I would love to see if that idea were to be implemented; here it is:

Agumon (if Digimon does NOT get a playable rep)
Greymon
Guilmon
Impmon
Renamon
Gabumon
Angewomon (though with a little bit of censorship so she could get in)
Gatomon
Veemon
Omnimon
Puppetmon
Eaters from Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Arata Sanada (in his human-Eater fusion form)
Kyoko Kuremi (appearing in both her human form and her Alphamon form)
Takumi/Ami Aiba (maybe he/she could use his/her Connect Jump ability in a similar vein to Abra's Teleport ability?)

Anyone else got a list of Digimon summons?

7NATOR

Smash Master
The one thing I will say is that we likely getting Another Sword Fighter, for better or worse depending on who you Ask. Who you think it would be?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
The one thing I will say is that we likely getting Another Sword Fighter, for better or worse depending on who you Ask. Who you think it would be?
You know who I'd say probably, lol.

Dark Souls literally ticks all of the boxes that are loved in Smash speculation: a lot of popularity/success, made by Bandai Namco, presence in the Switch, Sakurai likes it, has no content yet, has an Amiibo, would be a surprise, massive influence on gaming as a whole, had an online game test, was marketed to heck, has broken records for Bamco, is their fastest selling game to date, one of the best selling RPG franchises not yet in Smash, came very early to the Switch, etc.

I think they received less talk until pretty recently because they aren't the longest request for their company. Characters like Crash and Lloyd often overshadow others from their respective companies, despite those characters being equally or arguably more qualified to get in.

For me, it's Chosen Undead or a Tales character, I think.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OK so back when Splatoon 3 got announced, there was some talk in here about Octoling becoming playable (whether that would be in this game or another Smash game, who knows). But the current general consensus is that Octoling would make a great Echo, just swap Splattershot for Octoshot. And that's still a very reasonable and plausible idea. However, I wanted to see what I could do to make the character unique, if not an Isabelle to Inkling's Villager. I didn't include anything from the brief Splatoon 3 footage we've seen, I felt that would make it too messy and just throwing stuff in for the sake of having it. Anything not explicitly mentioned in here (rolls, floor/ledge attacks, grabs and throws etc.) function just like Inkling's, and Octoling would have the same ink mechanic. Finally, I'm not all that great with judging how much a move should damage/knockback/ink an opponent or deplete the ink tank, so my numbers and descriptions are just there for an idea. Also keep in mind, there are some Octo-Expansion spoilers (mainly with aesthetics and the stage). Without further ado, I give you my own Octoling moveset/character pack. Hope you all enjoy. And I suppose I'll tag our resident Octoling supporter Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .

Neutral Special – Octoshot. While the main goal here is to create a semi-clone/original moveset, the Octoshot is obviously the weapon Octoling would be holding most often. This functions similarly to Inkling’s Splattershot, doing decent inkage and pushing enemies further away. Depletes ink at the same rate as Inkling neutral special.

Side Special – Splat Brella. The Octoling pulls out a Splat Brella, which absorbs damage from attacks (about 15-20%). While holding down the button, the Brella shield stays open and you can continuously fire. The catch here is that the fire rate is slow and doesn’t cover the enemy in much ink. If the Brella is hit and the damage exceeds the amount of health left, the Brella’s shield vanishes immediately and the Octoling is left open to attack until putting the Brella away. If the Brella is held for 5 seconds and hasn’t been destroyed, it will detach and slowly move forward for an additional 3 seconds, doing light damage to anyone it contacts. Once detached, the Brella is put away. Each shot uses 10% of the ink tank, can fire 3 shots before detaching the Brella.

Up Special – Super Jump, functions identically to Inkling’s.

Down Special – Splatling. The Octoling pulls out a Splatling and begins charging it by holding down the button. When the button is released, the Splatling fires forward a stream of ink. This can be slightly angled and does a ton of damage/inkage (at full charge and if all shots connect). However, its very laggy once the button is released. The Octoling can move around very slowly while firing, and perform short hops. Depletes around 30% of the ink tank.
Neutral Attack/Jab – Identical to Inkling’s. Not much to say here. Depletes ink at same rate as Inkling's.

Dash Attack – Dualie Roll. The Octoling jumps out of the ink they were dashing in and performs a quick roll forward using the Dualies which does some damage and knockback. If the button is held afterwards, the Octoling will stop in place and fire the Dualies forward a bit, inking opponents. The initial hit of the roll launches the opponent at an angle so that they will usually be hit with the follow up shots afterwards, unless they are at higher damage, in which case the move’s knockback increases and can set up for edgeguards with the follow-up shots and kills near a ledge. The control stick can also be tilted forward or backward to perform another roll in that direction. The second roll does far less knockback and damage though, and is better used as a quick way to escape an attack if your first roll didn’t connect. Each roll consumes 10% of the ink tank, and the shooting of the Dualies afterward consumes 5%.

Up Smash – The Octoling charges up and fires the Rainmaker directly upwards. The blast resembles that of Splatoon 2, and doesn’t travel too far up, but has a pretty good blast radius and pulls nearby opponents in slightly. The attack does a lot of damage/inkage/knockback, doing more the closer the opponent is to the center of the blast, but in return its very laggy. Depletes 5-20% of the ink tank based on the charge level.

Side Smash – Charger. The Octoling lines up a Charger shot, which increases in range as it is held. The tip of the shot has a sweet spot, and a reticle from the series is shown at the sweet spot along with a line indicator, like in Splatoon 2. However, the farther away an opponent is, the less inked they will be from the shot, though damage and knockback increase with range. Depletes 5-20% of the ink tank depending on charge level.

Down Smash – Ink Mine. The Octoling charges and places an Ink Mine on the ground, which immediately explodes if there are enemies within the proximity. If no enemies are present, the Ink Mine will stay down for 5 seconds before exploding, regardless of enemy proximity. Deals a moderate amount of inkage, knockback, and damage. The closer the opponent is to the center of the proximity, the higher damage/knockback/inkage. Depletes 5-20% of the ink tank based on charge level.

Up Tilt – Octobrush. The Octoling swipes the Octobrush above itself quickly. Good for juggling and can be used in quick succession with low knockback, but it isn’t out for all that long. Each swing depletes 5% of the ink tank.

Side Tilt – Identical to Inkling’s.

Down Tilt – The Octoling performs a quick swipe in front of itself, aimed at the ground, with the Octobrush. Does light knockback, damage, and inkage. Can be used repeatedly in quick succession, but the area it hits isn’t all that large. Each swing depletes 5% of the ink tank.
Neutral Air – A quick flip spin while shooting ink with the Dualies mid-air. Think Joker’s aerial spin with his gun. Does low inkage and knockback with moderate damage. Depletes 10% of the ink tank.

Forward Air – Burst Bomb. A quickly thrown Burst Bomb (because they’re my favorite) that travels a short distance forward before exploding for moderate damage and knockback but low inkage. Depletes 10% of the ink tank.

Back Air – Implements the Splat Brella, which is swung behind the Octoling in a similar animation to Villager’s side tilt. This also fires a short burst of ink at point blank range, and as such has quite a bit of knockback if the shot hits and pushes Octoling forward a bit. Depletes 15% of the ink tank.

Up Air – Identical to Inkling’s.

Down Air – Functions identically to Inkling’s, except it is performed using the Rainmaker from the in-game mode of the same name. The animation also changes to the slamming down animation used in the mode, but has a similar hitbox and the same function/purpose as Inkling’s.
Final Smash – Booyah Bomb. The Octoling rises into the background of the stage, charging a Booyah Bomb. The user can throw it immediately or charge it up for up to 4 seconds by hitting an attack button repeatedly. The user can then aim using a reticle, similar to Giga Bowser Punch, and throws the bomb at that part of the stage. The bomb flies there immediately and detonates with about the radius of a Magic Burst (maybe a bit smaller, I don’t know the exact radius of a maximum Magic Burst). The Octoling then lands back on the battlefield in the spot where the move was initiated.
Some of these reference victory animations, as shown in the video:

Stage Entrance – The Octoling rides in from off screen on an Inkrail and lands.

Up Taunt – Charger victory animation Girl: 0:23 Boy: 1:23 (Since this is a taunt, the Octoling Girl and Boy may share the same animation rather than using their separate ones.)

Side Taunt – Octoling opens their free hand and shows a Golden Toothpick (if you know, you know). Octoling then closes their open hand into a fist and does a small fist bump and nod with a look of determination, akin to the animation they do when a Curling Bomb that they’ve used explodes.

Down Taunt – Octoling crouches down and smiles at the camera in a similar fashion to the “pose” they do during the final cutscene of Octo-Expansion before the credits roll.

Victory Theme - Either the "Test Passed!" theme or the theme that plays when acquiring one of the 4 thangs.

Victory Pose 1 – Dualies victory animation Girl: 0:50 Boy: 1:44

Victory Pose 2 – One of the 4 thangs is seen behind Octoling as they snap a photo with it. C.Q. Cumber is seen next to the Octoling/thang and the Octoling finishes by winking at the camera.

Victory Pose 3 – Brella victory animation Girl: 0:59 Boy: 1:53

Clap Animation – I don’t know how many of you guys have seen Octoling’s losing animations in Splatoon 2, but a good amount of them are a bit overdramatic/salty. So when an Octoling loses in Smash, they’ll definitely be glaring you down as they clap.

Costumes – There are 4 Octoling Girl and 4 Octoling Boy costumes. The default for each uses the Agent 8 outfit, while the rest use various costumes from in-game. Inkling already uses 8 different ink colors, and while Octoling’s first default costume would use the magenta colored ink as seen in most Octo-Expansion promo material, the other 7 would need to use other colors. I can’t really go through all the different possible colors still available, but here’s a link with a whole bunch of them, pick your favorites: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ink
Nils Statue – The final location of the Octo-Expansion. The stage works similarly to Delfino Plaza, starting on the floating platforms as provided by helicopters that Pearl and Marina bring in to rescue Agent 8 and Cap’n Cuttlefish. These platforms drop you off at various locations throughout the statue, each offering a unique layout. Occasionally, Hyper Bombs will fly in on to the statue parts of the stage, and can be detonated upon hitting them. Once the stage is covered in ink from the Hyper Bombs, characters will be taken off the statue as the background plays out the rest of the events from the game. Afterwards, the statue begins to sink and players stay on the helicopter platforms until the statue rises again inexplicably to repeat the cycle.

Other ideas I won’t flesh out as much include using the Deepsea Metro (going to a few select stations), Shifty Station (has 3-5 variations based on Shifty Stations from in-game), or any number of online stages. Point is, there’s a lot of options.
Fly Octo Fly, Spicy Calamari Inkantation, Nasty Majesty, Battery Full, Lookin’ Fresh (If you can make EarthBound’s shop theme work, you can do Splatoon’s), Color Pulse, City of Color, Fins and Fiddles, 4 additional tracks. Could be from the Octo-Expansion campaign or other battle music.

Octoling Girl (Fighter Spirit), Octoling Boy (Fighter Spirit), Commander Tartar, C.Q. Cumber, Iso Padre, Mr. Grizz, Salmonids, 6 enemy characters, either from Splatoon campaigns or Salmon Run bosses, can reuse current Splatoon Spirits if need be.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
OK so back when Splatoon 3 got announced, there was some talk in here about Octoling becoming playable (whether that would be in this game or another Smash game, who knows). But the current general consensus is that Octoling would make a great Echo, just swap Splattershot for Octoshot. And that's still a very reasonable and plausible idea. However, I wanted to see what I could do to make the character unique, if not an Isabelle to Inkling's Villager. Anything not explicitly mentioned in here (rolls, floor/ledge attacks, grabs and throws etc.) function just like Inkling's, and Octoling would have the same ink mechanic. Finally, I'm not all that great with judging how much a move should damage/knockback/ink an opponent or deplete the ink tank, so my numbers and descriptions are just there for an idea. Also keep in mind, there are some Octo-Expansion spoilers (mainly with aesthetics and the stage). Without further ado, I give you my own Octoling moveset/character pack. Hope you all enjoy. And I suppose I'll tag our resident Octoling supporter Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .

Neutral Special – Octoshot. While the main goal here is to create a semi-clone/original moveset, the Octoshot is obviously the weapon Octoling would be holding most often. This functions similarly to Inkling’s Splattershot, doing decent inkage and pushing enemies further away. Depletes ink at the same rate as Inkling neutral special.

Side Special – Splat Brella. The Octoling pulls out a Splat Brella, which absorbs damage from attacks (about 15-20%). While holding down the button, the Brella shield stays open and you can continuously fire. The catch here is that the fire rate is slow and doesn’t cover the enemy in much ink. If the Brella is hit and the damage exceeds the amount of health left, the Brella’s shield vanishes immediately and the Octoling is left open to attack until putting the Brella away. If the Brella is held for 5 seconds and hasn’t been destroyed, it will detach and slowly move forward for an additional 3 seconds, doing light damage to anyone it contacts. Once detached, the Brella is put away. Each shot uses 10% of the ink tank, can fire 3 shots before detaching the Brella.

Down Special – Splatling. The Octoling pulls out a Splatling and begins charging it by holding down the button. When the button is released, the Splatling fires forward a stream of ink. This can be slightly angled and does a fair bit of damage/inkage (at full charge and if all shots connect). However, its very laggy once the button is released. The Octoling can move around very slowly while firing, and perform short hops. Depletes around 30% of the ink tank.
Neutral Attack/Jab – Identical to Inkling’s. Not much to say here. Depletes ink at same rate as Inkling's.

Dash Attack – Dualie Roll. The Octoling jumps out of the ink they were dashing in and performs a quick roll forward using the Dualies which does some damage and knockback. If the button is held afterwards, the Octoling will stop in place and fire the Dualies forward a bit, inking opponents. The initial hit of the roll launches the opponent at an angle so that they will usually be hit with the follow up shots afterwards, unless they are at higher damage, in which case the move’s knockback increases and can set up for edgeguards with the follow-up shots and kills near a ledge. The control stick can also be tilted forward or backward to perform another roll in that direction. The second roll does far less knockback and damage though, and is better used as a quick way to escape an attack if your first roll didn’t connect. Each roll consumes 10% of the ink tank, and the shooting of the Dualies afterward consumes 5%.

Up Smash – The Octoling charges up and fires the Rainmaker directly upwards. The blast resembles that of Splatoon 2, and doesn’t travel too far up, but has a pretty good blast radius and pulls nearby opponents in slightly. The attack does a lot of damage/inkage/knockback, doing more the closer the opponent is to the center of the blast, but in return its very laggy. Depletes 5-20% of the ink tank based on the charge level.

Side Smash – Charger. The Octoling lines up a Charger shot, which increases in range as it is held. The tip of the shot has a sweet spot, and a reticle from the series is shown at the sweet spot along with a line indicator, like in Splatoon 2. However, the farther away an opponent is, the less inked they will be from the shot, though damage and knockback increase with range. Depletes 5-20% of the ink tank depending on charge level.

Down Smash – Ink Mine. The Octoling charges and places an Ink Mine on the ground, which immediately explodes if there are enemies within the proximity. If no enemies are present, the Ink Mine will stay down for 5 seconds before exploding, regardless of enemy proximity. Deals a moderate amount of inkage, knockback, and damage. The closer the opponent is to the center of the proximity, the higher damage/knockback/inkage. Depletes 5-20% of the ink tank based on charge level.

Up Tilt – Octobrush. The Octoling swipes the Octobrush above itself quickly. Good for juggling and can be used in quick succession with low knockback, but it isn’t out for all that long. Each swing depletes 5% of the ink tank.

Down Tilt – The Octoling performs a quick swipe in front of itself, aimed at the ground, with the Octobrush. Does light knockback, damage, and inkage. Can be used repeatedly in quick succession, but the area it hits isn’t all that large. Each swing depletes 5% of the ink tank.
Neutral Air – A quick flip spin while shooting ink with the Dualies mid-air. Think Joker’s aerial spin with his gun. Does low inkage and knockback with moderate damage. Depletes 10% of the ink tank.

Forward Air – Burst Bomb. A quickly thrown Burst Bomb (because they’re my favorite) that travels a short distance forward before exploding for moderate damage and knockback but low inkage. Depletes 10% of the ink tank.

Back Air – Implements the Splat Brella, which is swung behind the Octoling in a similar animation to Villager’s side tilt. This also fires a short burst of ink at point blank range, and as such has quite a bit of knockback if the shot hits and pushes Octoling forward a bit. Depletes 15% of the ink tank.

Down Air – Functions identically to Inkling’s, except it is performed using the Rainmaker from the in-game mode of the same name. The animation also changes to the slamming down animation used in the mode, but has a similar hitbox and the same function/purpose as Inkling’s.
Final Smash – Booyah Bomb. The Octoling rises into the background of the stage, charging a Booyah Bomb. The user can throw it immediately or charge it up for up to 4 seconds by hitting an attack button repeatedly. The user can then aim using a reticle, similar to Giga Bowser Punch, and throws the bomb at that part of the stage. The bomb flies there immediately and detonates with about the radius of a Magic Burst (maybe a bit smaller, I don’t know the exact radius of a maximum Magic Burst). The Octoling then lands back on the battlefield in the spot where the move was initiated.

Up Taunt – Charger victory animation Girl: 0:23 Boy: 1:23 (Since this is a taunt, the Octoling Girl and Boy may share the same animation rather than using their separate ones.)

Side Taunt – Octoling opens their free hand and shows a Golden Toothpick (if you know, you know). Octoling then closes their open hand into a fist and does a small fist bump and nod with a look of determination, akin to the animation they do when a Curling Bomb that they’ve used explodes.

Down Taunt – Octoling crouches down and smiles at the camera in a similar fashion to the “pose” they do during the final cutscene of Octo-Expansion before the credits roll.

Victory Pose 2 – One of the 4 thangs is seen behind Octoling as they snap a photo with it. C.Q. Cumber is seen next to the Octoling/thang and the Octoling finishes by winking at the camera.

Clap Animation – I don’t know how many of you guys have seen Octoling’s losing animations in Splatoon 2, but a good amount of them are a bit overdramatic/salty. So when an Octoling loses in Smash, they’ll definitely be glaring you down as they clap.

Costumes – There are 4 Octoling Girl and 4 Octoling Boy costumes. The default for each uses the Agent 8 outfit, while the rest use various costumes from in-game. Inkling already uses 8 different ink colors, and while Octoling’s first default costume would use the magenta colored ink as seen in most Octo-Expansion promo material, the other 7 would need to use other colors. I can’t really go through all the different possible colors still available, but here’s a link with a whole bunch of them, pick your favorites: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ink
Nils Statue – The final location of the Octo-Expansion. The stage works similarly to Delfino Plaza, starting on the floating platforms as provided by helicopters that Pearl and Marina bring in to rescue Agent 8 and Cap’n Cuttlefish. These platforms drop you off at various locations throughout the statue, each offering a unique layout. Occasionally, Hyper Bombs will fly in on to the statue parts of the stage, and can be detonated upon hitting them. Once the stage is covered in ink from the Hyper Bombs, characters will be taken off the statue as the background plays out the rest of the events from the game. Afterwards, the statue begins to sink and players stay on the helicopter platforms until the statue rises again inexplicably to repeat the cycle.

Other ideas I won’t flesh out as much include using the Deepsea Metro (going to a few select stations), Shifty Station (has 3-5 variations based on Shifty Stations from in-game), or any number of online stages. Point is, there’s a lot of options.
Fly Octo Fly, Spicy Calamari Inkantation, Nasty Majesty, Battery Full, Lookin’ Fresh (If you can make EarthBound’s shop theme work, you can do Splatoon’s), Color Pulse, City of Color, Fins and Fiddles, 4 additional tracks. Could be from the Octo-Expansion campaign or other battle music.

Octoling Girl (Fighter Spirit), Octoling Boy (Fighter Spirit), Commander Tartar, C.Q. Cumber, Iso Padre, Mr. Grizz, Salmonids, 6 enemy characters, either from Splatoon campaigns or Salmon Run bosses, can reuse current Splatoon Spirits if need be.
You could add the Octo Expansion versions of Off the Hook and Cap’n Cuttlefish (different costumes)

but yes I love this

VEEMO/OOMI FOREVER

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm gonna cheat and say Master Chief since he can use a sword. :mybodyisreggie:

If that doesn't work out, I would like Nightmare from Soul Calibur.
Oh, we're now talking about swordies we want, too? Well then, I'll join the topic extension, too. The ones I want most are either Squall Leonhart, Raiden, or the Imperial from Etrian Odyssey 4; yeah, we got plenty of swordsmen, but we don't have any vibrobladesmen on the roster.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakurai will shoot the "No fourth-parties" rule in the head and add Ultraman Z Delta Rise Claw with his talking gimmick sword the Beliarok
1621541769329.png

I refuse to give context

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's a good thought! I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad you liked it.
Also, maybe the victory theme could be TEST PASSED! From Octo expansion

the OE OTH/Cap’n was for spirits btw, forgot to clarify

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Also, maybe the victory theme could be TEST PASSED! From Octo expansion
I actually meant to include that but forgot. It could also be the theme that plays when acquiring one of the 4 thangs. I'll go ahead and edit that in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As much as I want Dante, I feel like a second Namco-Bandai character is more likely, and most of the examples that I can think of use a sword, whether it's the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls, KOS-MOS (I think she has a sword? She uses a lot of weapons), a Soul Calibur character, or a Tales Of character. (though I don't think Lloyd Irving is likely - I'd find it weird if the developers brought back characters like Heihachi, Monster Hunter, Geno, and Tails/Knuckles as Mii costumes, but went out of their way to upgrade Lloyd Irving over all of them. Plus, people thought that Geno might be making it back in when his Mii costume was conspicuously absent during Hero's wave, or that Monster Hunter might be included given that Mii costume's conspicuous absence coupled with the release of Monster Hunter Rise, and we all saw how those turned out)

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
One of the main things going against Dark Souls or Tales I guess is Verge's deconfirm list. I know he said it was explicitly just for CP5, but like 7NATOR 7NATOR has said, it still completely stands, which is worth noting. I obviously don't want believe Bamco is out, lol.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
One of the main things going against Dark Souls or Tales I guess is Verge's deconfirm list. I know he said it was explicitly just for CP5, but like 7NATOR 7NATOR has said, it still completely stands, which is worth noting.
I have poor memory but if I recall correctly, for th CP5, Vergeben did say it wouldn't be another Square-Enix or Microsoft character, didn't he?
If I'm wrong then my bad.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd find it weird if the developers brought back characters like Heihachi, Monster Hunter, Geno, and Tails/Knuckles as Mii costumes, but went out of their way to upgrade Lloyd Irving over all of them
I can't really say I agree with this line of thinking. Everyone has different merits and draws for their inclusion, and there's a finite number of slots; Ultimately, a lot of characters will just be outprioritized. When people say "They didn't add (X), (Y), and (Z), so they won't add Lloyd," I dunno, it feels like it suggests there's a pecking order for inclusion and that just doesn't seem to be the case. To me, it seems like knocking someone's ice cream out of their hands because everyone else dropped theirs, so it has to be "fair."

7NATOR

Smash Master
I have poor memory but if I recall correctly, for th CP5, Vergeben did say it wouldn't be another Square-Enix or Microsoft character, didn't he?
That was on the Old List, and the reason that Old List was so inaccurate was because Vergeben misunderstood his Source in what the Source was actually saying

In my Vergeben Deconfirm theory, one of the main things that seemed to point toward certain characters was if they were on the Old List, but not on the New One, as it implies that the Source couldn't directly deconfirm those characters or Companies because he heard something about those companies getting Something

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
One of the main things going against Dark Souls or Tales I guess is Verge's deconfirm list. I know he said it was explicitly just for CP5
Excatly, it was explicitely for CP5 because it's the specific information that the source he had knew about at the time.

I don't see why it should still apply to this day.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Already ahead of ya', mate. I made this post about two pages ago:
I want to point this out; Digimon ain't getting any kind of summon item without a playable character. There's no way they can justify that. It's too big of a series anyway, and that's a huge amount of models and items to create to not have either of its mascots playable.

No series has gotten a massive amount of items without a playable character(Animal Crossing got barely much before actually being playable, and it was planned for playability in Brawl too) either. It's cause they tend to try and balance things out a bit. Why would they license multiple characters for a major item(every single one is its own character), and spirits, only for... that. If you look at every other franchise, they've only gotten a lot of trophies/spirits/stickers at best with no playable rep. It's a lot of money to spend on a smaller thing, and a lot of gameplay work. Digimon is majorly about digivolving now, so that wouldn't be ignored anyway. The Digi-summon thing is still relevant to the franchise, but from a fairly unpopular series(Xros Wars in general), and a lot of work to barely represent it decently.

Now, I'll bring up an example of where people think they made no real effort to represent it well; Ganondorf. However, let's not just go over the fact he was a lucky clone to get in. He actually has punch and kick animations/artwork within OOT. That means he was already known for brawling. He gathered energy into his hands. For projectiles, but his ground pound isn't one, which is pretty much his energy attacks in Smash. He's not a popular style of clone by any means(he's popular moreso for his characterization instead), but despite people claiming he's represented poorly, it's actually very heavily based upon his capabilities. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible. Sakurai has made it very clear he doesn't want to represent characters poorly, which is why Wario wouldn't be a clone of Mario or anything like that. If Ganondorf had no physical moves, it'd have been someone like Black Shadow instead, who has black magic and could do that. It wasn't because Ganondorf actually fit the particular factors. Popularity, ability to be a physical magical user(in canon no less), and had the right model at the time.

So while I won't argue he's base-breaking by being a clone, there's a clear attempt to capture who he is. You can't really do that without Digimon dgivolving. I don't see a summon item ever being used without a proper character who'd represent the core aspect of Digimon. The digvice idea on the other hand does help more by showing off the "raising" factor, as you can battle between two Toys as normal. This is still shown off, but only loosely. You can't much show this off to begin with, since it's only stat-raising that could be transferred to Smash, and it's barely done. We have Lucario and Rage. That's it. Stat-raising is pretty difficult to incorporate well, but it's a lot of programming work. You could do a smaller version, like upgraded spells, but that's not true stat-raising. That's just using more magic. Hero has nothing to do with actual rpg levels. Is that a problem? No. He represents rpgs well anyway. RNG and Magic are massivley important. Or an ammo system similar to Magic. So basically what Paper Mario did after Super Paper Mario, another form of rpg stuff.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, I got another question that is unrelated, but something I was wondering about

Regarding the Bonus Fighter theory with the Extra Page, Was there always a extra Page that suggested something extra we didn't know about

So the whole thing is that there's a gap between CP11 and Ancient Armor that implies that a Bonus Content is in the works. I do wonder if this page existed since the beginning of FP2 when they first put the page up. I don't think it could be looked up because no one archived the page, but I think if we ever got an answer, it could change the speculation around it perhaps

I don't buy the Verge theory tbh.

I never bought the list to begin with, and to think the source knew everything but also nothing about 2 years prior is a bit of a hard belief to follow.

Like, the source knows every single company involved
But none of the characters

How
My theory was that the Source heard about Negotiations for Companies that were to be involved in FP2, but couldn't decipher in what form was each Company/Character going to be

So they knew that Square and Microsoft were getting further content, but didn't know if that entailed a Playable character, Mii, etc, they just knew that Actual Legal documents were signed and such.

The whole thing is that if something is on the New List, either their content was negotiated before the time FP2 content was negotiated for, or they just don't have content in the game at all

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

How
To be fair, when was the last time a Nintendo character got leaked?

Nintendo seems really good at keeping things a secret, so the fact that we had anything at all regarding Byleth, even if it was just vague hints, is honestly surprising.

Paraster

Smash Lord
OK so back when Splatoon 3 got announced, there was some talk in here about Octoling becoming playable (whether that would be in this game or another Smash game, who knows). But the current general consensus is that Octoling would make a great Echo, just swap Splattershot for Octoshot. And that's still a very reasonable and plausible idea. However, I wanted to see what I could do to make the character unique, if not an Isabelle to Inkling's Villager. I didn't include anything from the brief Splatoon 3 footage we've seen, I felt that would make it too messy and just throwing stuff in for the sake of having it. Anything not explicitly mentioned in here (rolls, floor/ledge attacks, grabs and throws etc.) function just like Inkling's, and Octoling would have the same ink mechanic. Finally, I'm not all that great with judging how much a move should damage/knockback/ink an opponent or deplete the ink tank, so my numbers and descriptions are just there for an idea. Also keep in mind, there are some Octo-Expansion spoilers (mainly with aesthetics and the stage). Without further ado, I give you my own Octoling moveset/character pack. Hope you all enjoy. And I suppose I'll tag our resident Octoling supporter Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .

Down Special – Splatling. The Octoling pulls out a Splatling and begins charging it by holding down the button. When the button is released, the Splatling fires forward a stream of ink. This can be slightly angled and does a ton of damage/inkage (at full charge and if all shots connect). However, its very laggy once the button is released. The Octoling can move around very slowly while firing, and perform short hops. Depletes around 30% of the ink tank.

Victory Theme - Either the "Test Passed!" theme or the theme that plays when acquiring one of the 4 thangs.

Good choice on the Final Smash, and I like the inclusion of the Splatling. The music and spirits are also neat.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, I got another question that is unrelated, but something I was wondering about

Regarding the Bonus Fighter theory with the Extra Page, Was there always a extra Page that suggested something extra we didn't know about

So the whole thing is that there's a gap between CP11 and Ancient Armor that implies that a Bonus Content is in the works. I do wonder if this page existed since the beginning of FP2 when they first put the page up. I don't think it could be looked up because no one archived the page, but I think if we ever got an answer, it could change the speculation around it perhaps

My theory was that the Source heard about Negotiations for Companies that were to be involved in FP2, but couldn't decipher in what form was each Company/Character going to be

So they knew that Square and Microsoft were getting further content, but didn't know if that entailed a Playable character, Mii, etc, they just knew that Actual Legal documents were signed and such.

The whole thing is that if something is on the New List, either their content was negotiated before the time FP2 content was negotiated for, or they just don't have content in the game at all
Well... for the first thing, at the very least that page didn’t exist during FP1’s run right? Or... nobody bothered to check. Rip. We’re in the dark till we see what that’s about

next game I may have to aggressively archive the eshop page every so often

ROBnWatch ROBnWatch back to the Veemos, for alts I was thinking at least one pair of splatfest colors. Chaos Gold and Order Silver are a MUST

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not sure how leaking works specifically or what kind of stuff leakers/insiders have to work with or anything like that, but considering Verge was technically right about his list wrt CP5, and has been right about other Smash-related things in the past (not that this makes him infallible of course, but still), I'm willing to think that maybe his list back then was perhaps legit.

What I don't get is why it's being brought up now if it was meant to ONLY pertain to CP5.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I don't buy the Verge theory tbh.

I never bought the list to begin with, and to think the source knew everything but also nothing about 2 years prior is a bit of a hard belief to follow.

How
Talking about Vergeben, it's funny how the guy decided to somehow keep the biggest surprises to himself.
"I knew about Piranha Plant for days but didn't want to spoil it since no one would believe me"
I don't even think he was lying on this, but that's completely ********. Just say it if you have this info. Your source has been pretty solid up until now, you've come this far, either you say the name and trust them or you don't wait until the next day to say "Hon hon hon I had this info but I didn't share it :333".
Don't wait for the SNK leak from the Nintendo website to happen so you can suddenly claim it's Terry Bogard happening when 95% of people already guessed that. Same with Banjo after a bunch of leakers name-dropped him.

The guy clearly had legit information, and did share it correctly for the base game, not gonna complain on that aspect.
But how he went on during the DLC since Piranha Plant... Woah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom