• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Lol wait is it really straight up banned? Not just unreleased? Is it cuz of the gambling?
It's because of the gambling, yes. Gacha games that predate the EU going hard on it, like FEH, or companies willing to do extra paperwork and changes to get their games to EU (usually by toning down the gacha) seem to be able to escape the ban.

So basically, it would be possible for the game to make it to Europe if Nintendo cared enough to actually do the work required.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not opposed to these characters, I'm just sick of them being the only ones we talk about. Any time I try to bring up another character, the post gets ignored for the seventh discussion on Dr. Eggman this week. And I haven't played a Halo or Crash or Street Fighter game, so I have nothing to add to the discussion.

SharkLord's thread is good with this, considering we talk about unorthodox characters more often (though not always, we have the extremely rare topic of... Sora tomorrow.
To be fair, we don't really talk about Sora that much beyond "He needs Disney! No he doesn't!" It'll be a fun excuse to dive into all the different spells and attacks.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
You can still play it in Europe if you have a VPN or the APK, It will just be really slow.

I mean I think the Costumes are cool, It's cool that games like Tower Of Druaga get some representation.
Sakurai: Many Europeans might be wondering how to play Euden's game, Dragalia Lost. Allow me to introduce this fighter's sponsor, ExpressVPN...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You can still play it in Europe if you have a VPN or the APK, It will just be really slow.
That's more of a loophole abuse than genuinely playing a European release though, since the game registers you as being from whatever you set the VPN to so EU laws no longer apply.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
That's more of a legal loophole than genuinely playing a European release though, since the game registers you as being from whatever you set the VPN to.
The wording of your original post sounded like it was illegal to play it at all, so I was just playing off of that lol. I totally get your point though.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That's more of a loophole abuse than genuinely playing a European release though, since the game registers you as being from whatever you set the VPN to so EU laws no longer apply.
Seeing the likes of Sakurai go into a plug for Nord VPN during a Dragalia Lost presentation almost makes me want Euden for that alone.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The wording of your original post sounded like it was illegal to play it at all, so I was just playing off of that lol. I totally get your point though.
Nah, I wouldn't think that way.

Who do you think I am? A Nintendo executive? :4pacman:

Seeing the likes of Sakurai go into a plug for Nord VPN during a Dragalia Lost presentation almost makes me want Euden for that alone.
Sakurai: "By the way, this presentation is sponsored by Surfshark."

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"But first, a word from our sponsor, ExpressVPN! Visit expressvpn.com/smashbroseuden to get 3 months free!"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Also, just curious y'all, what do you guys think of League of Legends being a possible series that contains Smash DLC candidates? There is that one 4chan leak yet to be disproven, but neglecting that leak, the series is making a Switch presence and it's big af.
League of Legends
Oh hey, you called? :4pacman:

In all seriousness, I do agree with Rie that it's definitely slept on for the most part, but I also hesitate to call it a frontrunner for a number of reasons (for example, Tencent/Riot's ties with Nintendo being fairly recent and the japanese fanbase being decidedly smaller than the west or other countries in asia).

But it's definitely possible, and for a few months now I've gone all in in the possibility of a LoL rep being our E3 reveal.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I remember one of their arguments for saying Adol Christin would be better than Lloyd was because "Adol appears in more games"
Which is hilarious because they'd probably have known Lloyd's one game better than the many Ys titles.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Honestly I need to stop looking at Gamefaqs I just become so depressed looking at their mental gymnastics lmfao
Not like you can fully escape them here, since some people on GameFAQs are also on Smashboards.

It's just less concentrated here so you can actually breathe sometimes lmao.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, just curious y'all, what do you guys think of League of Legends being a possible series that contains Smash DLC candidates? There is that one 4chan leak yet to be disproven, but neglecting that leak, the series is making a Switch presence and it's big af.
I've been eyeing LoL recently as well. It's pretty darn big, and it's owner Tencent has started up a working relation with Nintendo recently to manufacture Chinese Switches. That being said, the timeframe between when Nintendo and Tencent started up and when FP2 was finalized is rather slim, so there's a bit of a risk with investing in LoL.

But hey, just about everyone we've gotten so far has been risky one way or another, so I'll take it

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not like you can fully escape them here, since some people on GameFAQs are also on Smashboards.

It's just less concentrated here so you can actually breathe sometimes lmao.
I’m one of those people who is on both sites. I go by Aafyre on GameFAQs (and most other sites). I agree that this place is a lot better overall. There are way too many trolls or rude users over there but there are still some good people.

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So many good choices...know what? Imma do the reverse of what the tweet says. See ya, Master Chief.
HE IS THE EGGMAN

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It was never a leak. It was an observation
People usually think anything that is said on 4chan must be a leak.

It's why we got Tales of Chun-Li, which was never a leak but just someone dumping out stuff that they heard about and didn't come true.

People started thinking it was a "leak" because of :ultsteve: and :ultsephiroth:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh hey, you called? :4pacman:

In all seriousness, I do agree with Rie that it's definitely slept on for the most part, but I also hesitate to call it a frontrunner for a number of reasons (for example, Tencent/Riot's ties with Nintendo being fairly recent and the japanese fanbase being decidedly smaller than the west or other countries in asia).

But it's definitely possible, and for a few months now I've gone all in in the possibility of a LoL rep being our E3 reveal.

I've been eyeing LoL recently as well. It's pretty darn big, and it's owner Tencent has started up a working relation with Nintendo recently to manufacture Chinese Switches. That being said, the timeframe between when Nintendo and Tencent started up and when FP2 was finalized is rather slim, so there's a bit of a risk with investing in LoL.

But hey, just about everyone we've gotten so far has been risky one way or another, so I'll take it
The thing that made me look towards Tencent in particular is that Nintendo's dealings with them started out by pure happenstance during 2017-18, but it's also a case where both Nintendo and Tencent really would benefit from something the other has both in the short and long term:

* From Nintendo's PoV, I've brought up in the past that Nintendo's has sold consoles in Mainland China since 2003 without any success. I've exposited on why previously: lacking advertising, very little games officially released thanks to a byzantine approval system - with the nadir being the Nvidia Shield Wii emulator on PC that only saw 4 games released, and most people there interested in consoles just import Japanese consoles. Now, Tencent built its corporate empire on its social media business and integrating games onto social media platforms on a scale that I'm pretty sure Facebook daydreams about doing themselves. That alone solved Nintendo's ad problem - making Nintendo kinda dependent on them when it comes to releasing stuff there - and Tencent also are well-acquianted with dealing with the approval system. The importing is always going to be a thing because there's a lot of Chinese gamers want to access games not officially approved (the majority are content with what's officially approved IIRC, but there's still a noticeable chunk). But now the official Nintendo consoles have a foothold, which they lacked previously.

* From Tencent's PoV, while they have like 50 % (IIRC) on mobile gaming in China (which is one reason why they've been able to buy or invest in a ****ton of other studios), they're also so dependent on that that any tightening of the approval system that the government does will cause Tencent to be strangled themselves. Which is exactly what happened three years ago, and that might've been the reason why they might've been the ones to initiate talks with Nintendo. Outside of their relative lack of presence outside their native country, Tencent also has historically had no experience dealing with consoles. And a large part of their mobile gaming business is dependent on other corps' IPs (CoD Mobile, PUBG Mobile, Street Fighter Duel etc.) so Tencent likewise need Nintendo's okay if they wanna develop their own Nintendo games. Which is what's happening with Pokemon Unite.

People usually think anything that is said om 4chan must be a leak.

It's why we got Tales of Chun-Li, which was never a leak, but just dumping out stuff that was heard but didn't come true.
Now I can't shake the thought from my mind that Tales of Chun Li originally began life as an isekai fanfic before it was remade into an infodump on 4chan. It's the name that gets me to think it was that every time.

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
With this talk of Skylanders. If you had to chose someone from the game to be a playable character (besides Spyro/Cynder) who would you chose. I would chose Flashwing.
1621564189524.png

Attachments

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I’m one of those people who is on both sites. I go by Aafyre on GameFAQs (and most other sites). I agree that this place is a lot better overall. There are way too many trolls or rude users over there but there are still some good people.
As someone that visits both sites. I feel SmashFAQs is more ****posty than toxic tbh.

though yes there's more toxicity over there than there is here, which it naturally probably should since it has less strict rules and whatnot over there I believe.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Lol wait is it really straight up banned? Not just unreleased? Is it cuz of the gambling?
For the most part yes. The only European county Dragalia is available in is the UK, otherwise you need the aforementioned loophole.

It's because of the gambling, yes. Gacha games that predate the EU going hard on it, like FEH, or companies willing to do extra paperwork and changes to get their games to EU (usually by toning down the gacha) seem to be able to escape the ban.

So basically, it would be possible for the game to make it to Europe if Nintendo cared enough to actually do the work required.
A small correction, but even FEH has pulled out of certain countries like Belgium due to stricter laws, so even then the Grandfather Clause is a case by case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom