• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Don't jump for joy just yet, a naginata is a long pointy metal stick so people will call her an uninspired generic anime swordsman
Will they say she's just another Fire Emblem character, just that her game has a different name?

I'm still annoyed by that article...
well, there is already a Fire Emblem character who is a schoolgirl, use pointy stick as weapon and from a game with different name..
1620318710580.png

also, what do you mean by THAT article?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
well, there is already a Fire Emblem character who is a schoolgirl, use pointy stick as weapon and from a game with different name..
View attachment 314036
First, I'm gonna share this:

Despite there only being five TMS characters in FEH, they've gotten a LOT of mileage out of the jokes...

As for your question, somebody made an article claiming Pyra was "just another Fire Emblem character". Considering how much hate she was already getting at the time, that kinda made people on the other side more upset...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
You know, with how well MK8D continues to sell, I don’t think we’ll be seeing MK9 for at LEAST 7 years

they could even just be like surprise ***** here’s more new content
Why shouldn't Nintendo make a New Mario Kart? It's not like the 30 million people who own 8D are going to buy it again. If they make a new one, those 30 million people are potential customers once more. Even if only half of them actually buy it - that's still 15 million copies sold.

Pillow

Smash Lord
First, I'm gonna share this:

Despite there only being five TMS characters in FEH, they've gotten a LOT of mileage out of the jokes...

As for your question, somebody made an article claiming Pyra was "just another Fire Emblem character". Considering how much hate she was already getting at the time, that kinda made people on the other side more upset...
Just give me Idolm@ster in Smash Sakurai you coward. That’s all I’m asking for, it’s not much.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Also,

Word of the wise, if you want to argue that a typo invalidates an entire argument, make sure you spell 'spelled' properly, on that note, make sure you spell 'Thief' properly too
I don't care about the rest of your argument, but if you're going to correct someone's spelling, then YOU had better get it correct yourself. "Spelt" is a perfectly valid word in most of the world:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No, no. I'm not upset about it. And yes, I read the crossed through text. I basically have a set of standards for one series and a different set of standards for another. I'm a complex person.
Wait... you're acknowledging it?

Someone on the Internet is acknowledging that they have a double standard?

I think my brain just stopped working because it's that shocking to me.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
After getting a new computer capable of running a lot of high-end games, I've been playing a lot of (heavily modded) Skyrim, and for some reason I ended up thinking about what kind of moveset Dragonborn would have as a fighter. At first I was thinking some of the specials would be spells, but then I ended up thinking "What if Sakurai used the Shout cooldown system?". Four shouts as very powerful special moves, but with an universal cooldown that increases depending on how many words you used during a shout. So a single word Unrelenting Force would give you a minor shout cooldown but a three word Unrelenting Force would put your shout on a large cooldown. So if you used Unrelenting Force, the shout cooldown would mean that you wouldn't be able to use the recovery special (which I am assuming would be Whirlwind Sprint in this instance) for its duration. Maybe it would even factor into the final smash; having your shout on cooldown would just have the Dragonborn use devastating spells in a combo, but if your shout is ready? Dragonborn summons Odahviing for a savage cinematic beatdown on the opponent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai actually thought about this at some point, but thought that it wouldn't make a fun fighter, regardless of how unique the shout cooldown would be.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
New topic: What games would you like to see get Spirit Events (as in ones with brand new spirits)?
Assuming they don't get Fighters or Miis:

Bubble Bobble
Double Dragon
Gradius
Ninja Gaiden
StarTropics
Contra
Pro Wrestling
Rygar
Battletoads
Bionic Commando
Crystalis
Blaster Master
Maniac Mansion
Wizards & Warriors

Because reasons.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
After getting a new computer capable of running a lot of high-end games, I've been playing a lot of (heavily modded) Skyrim, and for some reason I ended up thinking about what kind of moveset Dragonborn would have as a fighter. At first I was thinking some of the specials would be spells, but then I ended up thinking "What if Sakurai used the Shout cooldown system?". Four shouts as very powerful special moves, but with an universal cooldown that increases depending on how many words you used during a shout. So a single word Unrelenting Force would give you a minor shout cooldown but a three word Unrelenting Force would put your shout on a large cooldown. So if you used Unrelenting Force, the shout cooldown would mean that you wouldn't be able to use the recovery special (which I am assuming would be Whirlwind Sprint in this instance) for its duration. Maybe it would even factor into the final smash; having your shout on cooldown would just have the Dragonborn use devastating spells in a combo, but if your shout is ready? Dragonborn summons Odahviing for a savage cinematic beatdown on the opponent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai actually thought about this at some point, but thought that it wouldn't make a fun fighter, regardless of how unique the shout cooldown would be.
Well, I did come up with a transformation idea for Dragonborn where its transformation characters are just itself wielding a different weapon (with one form wielding a sword and shield, and another form wielding a battleaxe).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know, with how well MK8D continues to sell, I don’t think we’ll be seeing MK9 for at LEAST 7 years

they could even just be like surprise ***** here’s more new content
I wouldn't even complain.

I'd love to see more classic tracks remade in MK8.

I'd love to see ALL classic tracks remade in MK8.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 314036
So either anime spear lady I have zero opinion on or the biggest ****ing turn off from a game since it's announcement. I haven't forgiven you yet Atlus
I don't care about the rest of your argument, but if you're going to correct someone's spelling, then YOU had better get it correct yourself. "Spelt" is a perfectly valid word in most of the world:
Huh. Didn't realized spelt had an extra definition, I only knew it as the wheat

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So either anime spear lady I have zero opinion on or the biggest ****ing turn off from a game since it's announcement. I haven't forgiven you yet Atlus
Atlus really have the balls to turn this game into a Persona game 1 year before Persona 5 even released and it even takes place on an actual location in Japan and that location just so happened to be Shibuya.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I’m not sure if anyone else is a fan of any particular voice actors or actresses. Sometimes, just featuring a voice actor or actress I like can be enough for me to try out a game or show I otherwise may have missed out on. If you could add any character voiced by one of your favorites, who would you choose? I’ll start off with some of mine:

Crispin Freeman: Albel Nox (Star Ocean 3)
Steve Blum: Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
Johnny Yong Bosch: Zero (Mega Man X)
Wendee Lee: Rozalin (Disgaea 2)
Luci Christian: Gaige (Borderlands 2)
Cherami Leigh: Makoto (Persona 5)
Yesterday I was thinking about doing a "make a Fighter pass" game based on voice actors so you're speaking my language (kinda, because I'm more into japanese VAs lol)
Most of my Top 10 Most Wanted have cool voices so I'll list characters outside of that list:

Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) - Tetsu Inada
Agnès (Bravely Default) - Ami Koshimizu
Alucard (Castlevania) or Zero (Mega Man X) - Ryotarou Okiayu
Demetri (Darkstalkers) or Nightmare (Soul Calibur) - Nobuyuki Hiyama
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) - Kousuke Toriumu (I'd list Strider Hiryu as well since he voiced him in Project X Zone, but I think Smash would go with his original VA - Yuji Ueda - instead which is cool too)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) - Yuko Minaguchi

So I swung by the eShop page for the FDC remakes, and uh...
View attachment 314027

...So that's how an FDC rep would fight.

And before anyone asks, this is still the case in the prequel, meaning karate and naginata skills are consistent parts of the MC and Ayumi's characterization.
View attachment 314028
Nothing about heavy metal for Ayumi though. Must've developed that between games.

Character development! :4pacman:
-Fights with a naginata
-Likes heavy metal

The more I know about her, the more interesting she gets :shades:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We're for sure getting a character in like a month, during E3. At least we have a date. It could be worse.
Now we'll get the escalating insanity as this place turns into a pressure cooker as we approach E3. Better batten down the hatches, especially when "leaks" pick up. Though that is preferable to the despair that gradually festers when news takes too long to happen.

Yes, I am. It's not really a bad thing to have double standards sometimes.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

I don’t feel that the Dragonborn needs any kind of gimmick. I’d be happy if he had a sword/shield, some fire/frost/lightning magic, and then his iconic FUS RO DAH as a neutral special. That’s all that I’d really want, gamplay-wise.

But honestly, the shouts are what really make the Dragonborn stand out as a character. It’s something that only a Dragonborn can do, so it would make sense to show it off in Smash. Having all of the shouts be somewhat overpowered could really sell the power fantasy that Skyrim is, with a universal cooldown system being a nice way to balance it all out. I actually really like this idea, even if it is a bit gimmicky.

Staarih

Smash Master
Why shouldn't Nintendo make a New Mario Kart? It's not like the 30 million people who own 8D are going to buy it again. If they make a new one, those 30 million people are potential customers once more. Even if only half of them actually buy it - that's still 15 million copies sold.
Yeah, if Nintendo has the potential for two 30+ million sellers instead of sticking with one which will cap at some point (40+ million?), I wouldn't put it past them to have MK9 out sooner than later, especially with a updated console seemingly on the way.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's kind of a shame we only have :ultbyleth: as a spear/lance/naginata/long-pokey stick user. It's the most common weapon in history, there are so many ways you could make a fun spear moveset. You could easily have Dimitri or Ephraim as a western-style lance user, Ayumi as an eastern-style naginata user, and Bandana Waddle Dee as a fantasy spear user that can do super fast spear barrages, his Spear Copter, and stuff like that.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Damn I still feel like the Sans Mii was a wasted opportunity for him instead of an actual fighter. He has insane moveset potential

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I’m not sure if anyone else is a fan of any particular voice actors or actresses. Sometimes, just featuring a voice actor or actress I like can be enough for me to try out a game or show I otherwise may have missed out on. If you could add any character voiced by one of your favorites, who would you choose? I’ll start off with some of mine:

Here's my list:
Zero (Mega Man Zero): Rino Romano.
Sakura Kasugano (Street Fighter Alpha 2): Brittney Lee Harvey.
Lilith (Darkstalkers 3): Michelle Ruff.
Rock Howard (Mark of the Wolves): Jason Griffith.
Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown): Mara Wilson.
Rera (Samurai Shodown 5): Danielle Judovits.
Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy 7): Steve Blum.
Phantom R (Rhythm Thief): Bruce Sherfield (I know the character in general is way out of left field, but it's probably the biggest surprise Nintendo can come up with in terms of oddball picks).
Lloyd Irving: Scott Menville (because why not).
Arle Nadja/Doppelganger Arle: Erica Mendez.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So we've discussed this a little, and so far we seem to have...
  1. The current name we seem to be sticking with is "Character/Fighter Exploration Thread"
  2. Every couple days, it focuses on certain characters. People can discuss movesets, stages, the character's backstory, the series itself, basically just anything relating to the character
  3. A noms system like in RTC would be implemented to encourage people to stick around, even if they don't know/care about the character that much. Five would be the minimum; More would be awarded for writeups, gameplay concepts (Movesets, stages, etc.), and asking questions about the character and related topics
  4. To avoid A: People cramming a bunch of questions into their posts at once, and B: Not have people take questions before another could ask them, you can ask only one question per post. After that, you need to wait for people to ask a couple more questions (2-3?) before you can ask yours. Other nom-worthy posts like unprompted (Re: Not responding to a question) movesets or writeups can lower that wait as well
One last update, I'm gonna finalize the general foundation and then set up the thread itself. I've been advised to put out the thread first and the mods will see if it's worth pinning later. Might crib from RTC's rules a little, since those have more of less held up well so far. Anything specific we should add?

On that note, is there anyone who'd be willing to help manage it? If stuff like RTC and the SSBI development thread is any indication, I may need help with stuff like the schedules and noms. It's more of a casual thing so it might not need as much management, so I'm gonna wait to see how it goes, but I think it's best if I check in advance so I don't come off as scrambling for help because I wasn't ready to manage something yet.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
One last update, I'm gonna finalize the general foundation and then set up the thread itself. I've been advised to put out the thread first and the mods will see if it's worth pinning later. Might crib from RTC's rules a little, since those have more of less held up well so far. Anything specific we should add?

On that note, is there anyone who'd be willing to help manage it? If stuff like RTC and the SSBI development thread is any indication, I may need help with stuff like the schedules and noms. It's more of a casual thing so it might not need as much management, so I'm gonna wait to see how it goes, but I think it's best if I check in advance so I don't come off as scrambling for help because I wasn't ready to manage something yet.
I'd totally be willing to help manage it! I mean, I named it, so I'm already a little invested, heheh.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Caitlin Glass: Elma
Laura Post: Ahri
Robbie Daymond: Zest (Shining Resonance Refrain)
Bryce Papenbrook: Zidane (Dissidia)

...yes I admit half of these are biased but also I legit couldn’t think of much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom