• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay, so here's a game for you. Kind of inspired by that "villain roster" discussion the other day.

You can make a Fighter's Pass 3, with six whole characters in it - but it has to have some kind of theme. What theme do you pick, and what six characters?
Dark themed non-humans

1) Gengar (Pokémon)
2) Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
3) Raziel (Soul Reaver)
4) Death (Darksiders)
5) Nocturne (League of Legends)
6) Spinal (Killer Instinct)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
"Nobody uses the Steve skin in Minecraft."
...So does that make me the weirdo who actually prefers playing as Steve in Minecraft?

Also CacoMallow? Really? Nothing intelligent comes with that conversation.

Gosh this forums is dangerous. Now I’m worried random people are reading my post history and will call me a weeb or something
If you think that's dangerous, wait until I you find out about how someone can find out who you are, who your parents are, and where you all live off of Facebook and the like.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Alright. After much consideration, I’ve decided. Not only do I think Cacomallow is 100% true. But Smash 4s Gematsu leak is also 100% accurate and nobody can prove it wrong until “something significant happens.”
The Chorus Kids are gonna be the best Smash 4 fighter ever! :4pacman:
even the grinch leak is real too! Shadow and Isaac are totally coming! :4pacman:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Did you guys see this?
"Sora" (sky) Limited, so I guess that means "the sky's the limit" according to Sakurai. I dunno if that was intentional, but that's still kinda cool.

But whatever the case, think he'd be over the moon if he was told Sora was A-OK for Smash?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Cacomallow feels like a bit of a meme, now. I used to think it could be real, but started thinking it was fake even before Sephiroth and Geno’s mii. I just think it’s neat.
"Nobody uses the Steve skin in Minecraft."
...So does that make me the weirdo who actually prefers playing as Steve in Minecraft?

Also CacoMallow? Really? Nothing intelligent comes with that conversation.

If you think that's dangerous, wait until I you find out about how someone can find out who you are, who your parents are, and where you all live off of Facebook and the like.
I also like using Steve’s skin; I sometimes use my own and have used my own for most of my playtime over the years, but I have been using Steve a lot lately, specifically an edited version that fixes his body’s bottom texture and makes his beard look like it does in his Smash render.

While no one plays a game just for its characters (I mean maybe some do, but then are they not having fun with the actual gameplay etc.?), many certainly like Steve even if they don’t play as him, same with Alex. There are people who have always or at least almost always sticked with Steve’s skin though, such as direwolf20.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Unpopular opinion time, but I really don't think a Capcom character is happening. Having the Mii Costume theme of a completely unrelated fighter be entirely based around Capcom plus the various Mega Man costumes that were sprinkled with in with Banjo and Byleth leads me to believe that there was really no better place to put them and thusly, no Capcom character that could thematically tie them together.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, Capcom does have enough iconic characters to still have four to six more costumes that could be included with a full character pack. However, Capcom also has enough characters to fill three Fighter's Passes on their own, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's a likely scenario. 13 to 15 unique DLC costumes a lot. Square's the closest to reaching this number, but even they're only at 9 and it took them two characters to reach that.

If I can be completely blunt, banking on the 13 to 15 costume scenario for a new Capcom character feels like wishful thinking causing people to latch onto and expect a long shot. It's not "Ridley's shadow means he's a playable character" levels of denial, but it's the same logic that caused people (including myself) to buy into that theory back in the day.

That being said, I definitely not mind being wrong here. I'd love to see Phoenix or Ammy in Smash. Hell, I'd really like to see Resident Evil and especially Mega Man X in Smash, even though their main characters are deconfirmed. I just think we'll, unfortunately, have to wait a couple of years before that happens.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since I'm seeing discussions on Cacomallow again I feel like I'm obligated to share that one Goku mod again

Did you guys see this?
"Sora" (sky) Limited, so I guess that means "the sky's the limit" according to Sakurai. I dunno if that was intentional, but that's still kinda cool.

But whatever the case, think he'd be over the moon if he was told Sora was A-OK for Smash?
Clearly this means Estelle is getting in because her game is called Trails in the Sky :bowsette:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinion time, but I really don't think a Capcom character is happening. Having the Mii Costume theme of a completely unrelated fighter be entirely based around Capcom plus the various Mega Man costumes that were sprinkled with in with Banjo and Byleth leads me to believe that there was really no better place to put them and thusly, no Capcom character that could thematically tie them together.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, Capcom does have enough iconic characters to still have four to six more costumes that could be included with a full character pack. However, Capcom also has enough characters to fill three Fighter's Passes on their own, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's a likely scenario. 13 to 15 unique DLC costumes a lot. Square's the closest to reaching this number, but even they're only at 9 and it took them two characters to reach that.

If I can be completely blunt, banking on the 13 to 15 costume scenario for a new Capcom character feels like wishful thinking causing people to latch onto and expect a long shot. It's not "Ridley's shadow means he's a playable character" levels of denial, but it's the same logic that caused people (including myself) to buy into that theory back in the day.

That being said, I definitely not mind being wrong here. I'd love to see Phoenix or Ammy in Smash. Hell, I'd really like to see Resident Evil and especially Mega Man X in Smash, even though their main characters are deconfirmed. I just think we'll, unfortunately, have to wait a couple of years before that happens.
Sooo Capcom is disconfirmed and you're delirious if you think otherwise? Can't say I agree with an argument like that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Unpopular opinion time, but I really don't think a Capcom character is happening.
That's unpopular? I thought everyone agreed with this when the Monster Hunter and Arthur mii costumes came out.

Since I'm seeing discussions on Cacomallow again I feel like I'm obligated to share that one Goku mod again

Anyway, Goku is happening and he's our bonus character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Clearly this means Estelle is getting in because her game is called Trails in the Sky :bowsette:
Holy crap, Goku is that short compared to Incineroar?

1617978325524.png

Does that mean Frieza is the size of Isabelle?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know Smash screws with the scale of characters.
I do wish Smash was at least a little more accurate with the sizing of characters. It still feels really weird that K. Rool is actually smaller than DK. It’s fine to scale up characters like Olimar and shrink Ridley but I wish there was a little more range in character sizes than there is.

D

Deleted member

well he seems to be sort of crouching, so that isn't his actual height
I suppose, but that would make him equal to, if not a couple inches shorter than Incineroar. Then the picture I posted, you can see clearly Goku's 2 ft taller than Frieza. That would mean that Frieza would be one of the smaller models; like Young Link at best.

Also, I'm not actually taking it seriously, I'm just amusing myself by imagining super short Friza the size of Isabelle being destroyed by Ganon's Spartan Kick.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
We live in a society...

Anyways, in random news, why is The Last of Us getting a remake? It seemed perfectly fine as far as PS3 games go...
I wish they could remake Jak and Daxter instead, but since those games are not "action/adventure third person over the shoulder camera with focus on cinematics", I don't think that Sony cares about that franchise anymore.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's unpopular? I thought everyone agreed with this when the Monster Hunter and Arthur mii costumes came out.
I could see the argument that the Arthur costume would have waited for the Capcom character, but I don't think it's at all farfetched if they were to get more costumes, especially since 6/8 of the ones they have are just resold from the previous game.

I don't think a scenario like Dante + 3 Devil May Cry and 2 Bayonetta costumes would be all that weird.

All that being said though, with Mega Man, and Monster Hunter out of the way, the possible candidates from Capcom are just Chun-Li, Dante, and Phoenix Wright, and I don't think any of them are particularly likely since the most attractive option to Nintendo was Monster Hunter. I mean, Chun-Li does have a OK shot due to her status, but that's about the most you could say about anyone. Dante's biggest game can't be on the Switch so why would it get picked over Monster Hunter? And Phoenix Wright is...well, Phoenix Wright. Not a bad series, but it ain't Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, or Devil May Cry tier.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I wish they could remake Jak and Daxter instead, but since those games are not "action/adventure third person over the shoulder camera with focus on cinematics", I don't think that Sony cares about that franchise anymore.
Yeah, I don't have a source on this, but apparently they also confirmed they want to focus more on "blockbuster" games. As if we didn't have enough of those...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wait until you realize Chrom has to be shorter than his daughter in order to be Roy's echo.
I don’t know why but little things like that kind of bother me. It kind of breaks your immersion when the characters aren’t even scaled properly within their own series.

On another note, it’s great to see Ultimate modding progressing like this. We’re still a long ways off from Brawl in that regard but it’s looking to be more and more worth modding as time goes on. I was pretty big into the Brawl modding scene, even making a ton of mods myself (under the name Aafyre), but haven’t really touched mods since then.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Dante's biggest game can't be on the Switch so why would it get picked over Monster Hunter? And Phoenix Wright is...well, Phoenix Wright. Not a bad series, but it ain't Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, or Devil May Cry tier.
Persona 5 wasn't on the Switch when Joker got in and still isn't afterwards so I don't think the likelihood of a character joining smash hinges on their most recent game being on the Switch so Dante would probably get in because Nintendo wanted him. Likewise with Phoenix Wright.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Persona 5 wasn't on the Switch when Joker got in and still isn't afterwards so I don't think the likelihood of a character joining smash hinges on their most recent game being on the Switch so Dante would probably get in because Nintendo wanted him.
My issue is more that while Devil May Cry V is only on other consoles, Monster Hunter Rise is exclusive to the Switch. Given the choice, I just can't see them picking Devil May Cry over Monster Hunter in this scenario.

I suppose Chun-Li also has this issue, but I think her star power might be able to overcome it. Maybe.

Likewise with Phoenix Wright.
IIRC Phoenix Wright is typically exclusive to Nintendo consoles. My doubts with him is the fact that his series is much smaller than the alternatives. It's not Ōkami or Darkstalkers small so I wouldn't count it out completely, but I just don't think Nintendo would be like:
  • Mega Man? No.
  • Resident Evil? No.
  • Street Fighter? Nu-uh.
  • Devil May Cry? Nope.
  • Monster Hunter? No way.
  • Phoenix Wright? Yeah let's go with that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sometimes we get characters like Bayonetta — someone from a franchise that had been funded by Nintendo themselves. Other times we get characters like Joker — someone from a game that was a PS4 exclusive.

The relationship a franchise has with Nintendo consoles plays a part, but it's not THAT much of a deciding factor. If anything, I'd argue that a majority of the third-parties we've gotten in Ultimate have been more strongly associated with the Sony or Microsoft consoles.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sometimes we get characters like Bayonetta — someone from a franchise that had been funded by Nintendo themselves. Other times we get characters like Joker — someone from a game that was a PS4 exclusive.

The relationship a franchise has with Nintendo consoles plays a part, but it's not THAT much of a deciding factor. If anything, I'd argue that a majority of the third-parties we've gotten in Ultimate have been more strongly associated with the Sony or Microsoft consoles.
I agree that it normally doesn't matter, but with Monster Hunter Rise being a huge title coming out during the Pass, I think it matters quite a lot for a Capcom fighter. Not that they can't have decided to pick something else, I just don't think they would have.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what's u-

Why are we still talking about Cacomallow god dangit

As others have said before, we can't look at leak and go "But it hasn't been deconfirmed yet." Random junk posted to 4chan and related sites are to be met with extreme skepticism, and we're supposed to ask, "Has it been proved yet?" It's fun to look at fake leaks and see if we can introduce new names to the conversation, but we can't do that it people keep dredging up every little leak that backs their most-wanteds and cling to it while insisting it could be real. Just let these things die already; It's been over a year.
Unpopular opinion time, but I really don't think a Capcom character is happening.
Wait, that's an unpopular opinion? That seemed like the general assumption around here. Usually I'm pretty lenient with third-party Miis and say they only affect the series they're from, but an entire wave of Capcom? Yeah, that seems like a pretty heavy blow.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I agree that it normally doesn't matter, but with Monster Hunter Rise being a huge title coming out during the Pass, I think it matters quite a lot for a Capcom fighter. Not that they can't have decided to pick something else, I just don't think they would have.
Obviously MH would be a high priority, but that's moreso because it's a huge success in Japan. I don't know if Nintendo would care as much if the franchise was more niche, regardless of whether or not it had history with their consoles.

That being said, I don't think it matters much now anymore. After getting a wave of nothing but Capcom Mii costumes, I'm leaning toward Capcom's representation being done for Ultimate.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
My issue is more that while Devil May Cry V is only on other consoles, Monster Hunter Rise is exclusive to the Switch. Given the choice, I just can't see them picking Devil May Cry over Monster Hunter in this scenario.

I suppose Chun-Li also has this issue, but I think her star power might be able to overcome it. Maybe.

IIRC Phoenix Wright is typically exclusive to Nintendo consoles. My doubts with him is the fact that his series is much smaller than the alternatives. It's not Ōkami or Darkstalkers small so I wouldn't count it out completely, but I just don't think Nintendo would be like:
  • Mega Man? No.
  • Resident Evil? No.
  • Street Fighter? Nu-uh.
  • Devil May Cry? Nope.
  • Monster Hunter? No way.
  • Phoenix Wright? Yeah let's go with that.
I mean...what about Persona and SMT? The second one has been significantly more present on DS and 3DS, with an upcoming exclusive such as SMTV, and yet we got Persona first.

And well DMC5 would probably be on the Switch if the console was powerful enough. Third party companies are not to blame if Nintendo consoles aren't powerful enough for their biggest games. That's up to Nintendo.

Not every developer is going to invest resources for a dedicated Switch version of big AAA games unless they're super certain the potential gains would be enough to overcome the initial investment. This is something I think a lot of people don't realize when they ask for ports, as if porting games could be done by pressing one button.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But I would feel weird about misusing whatever clout my place as the sort of, idk, de facto leader holds to purposefully cause a stir via being disingenuous regarding my belief over his chances.
Ahh...video game message board clout. The most precious of commodities...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Really just doubly sucks that Capcom was skipped over because they're so flexible and have been actively involved in Smash throughout the entirety of Ultimate's development (Ken and Rathalos, RE spirits, Arthur costumes + all the returning costumes). And Capcom themselves have been crossing over a good deal, recently with Ryu / Chunners in Fortnite and even Monster Hunter costumes in Ninjala just this week.

No doubt that had Nintendo been looking to add another Capcom character they remain one of the easiest partners to work with. And with how many worthwhile characters Capcom has under their belt it's honestly crazy to me they couldn't find one reason to do so.

Odd and disappointing, but I've accepted it by now.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
:ultsteve:"It's short for Stephan actually."
Stefan, as we Swedes spell it. :4pacman: (pretty much the same pronounciation though so it doesn't matter).

I do wish Smash was at least a little more accurate with the sizing of characters. It still feels really weird that K. Rool is actually smaller than DK. It’s fine to scale up characters like Olimar and shrink Ridley but I wish there was a little more range in character sizes than there is.
I get that, but it's also a tricky balancing act in the end. One of K. Rool's already existing drawbacks is that when he gets opened up he's at risk of getting opened up hard (like most super-heavies - big frames + high weight does that) Yes, Rool can survive and tank numerous beatings before getting KOed - it's not unusual to see him get to 200 % outside of strong spikes or someone attacking his Up-B from the side - but if he was taller... well, that issue would be amplified. There are already some competitive-leaning people who downplay combos on DK because they're easier to land on him.

That's probably one reason Sakurai worried about :ultridley: being "Too big" - one of his taunts is him standing upright after all. Even so, he's Bowser's size + Ike's weight.

Now at a casual / low level it won't matter much because people aren't generally going to care that much about that (although a lot of casual players want to improve - if just to the point they'll be the best in the room). And honestly, that's fine. Then again, Smash - as with any competitive game really - fares best when it's relatively balanced for both lower-skilled, medium-skilled and higher-skilled players.

Why the **** is CacoMallow still discussed!?
I'm gonna guess either boredom or that Smash Speculation is again veering closer to the Fumble Dimension. I'm hoping the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom