• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but the question is: can you reach this link just by navigating through the New Zealand Nintendo website?

It does use a slightly different adress than other pages, so I'm wondering if this is just a general URL change that sometimes happens (TOS appears to use a single page no matter your region, for example) or if it's a sign of an elaborate prank.
Ah, understood. Yeah I managed to make it there from the Australian version of the Smash website (which I got to by googling it)

Also I checked to make sure I could make it there from the Nintendo website in particular and I got to it from this page https://www.nintendo.com.au/catalogue/super-smash-bros-ultimate#fighters-pass-vol-2 which I got to from using the search function of the Nintendo site

This feels pretty clear cut to me

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
They were specifically picked from the ballot, yes.
Hoorah! I'm not crazy!

So with that info clear, I don't think MP4 existing or not really mattered much when it came to her being playable.

The fact she was a easy echo to make (no VA? No problem!) & popular probably helped her more than anything else.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
if they were to show gameplay now it would look horrendous, it still need's another 2-3 years in the oven. unless you want cyberpunk 2077 metroid prime.
This comparison makes no sense, Cyberpunk looked great until it actually came out as an absolute mess, meanwhile all Nintendo would need to do is slap a 'gameplay footage not final' mark and an unpolished build would instantly get less flak
i wouldnt regard 2000s era as retro pick for example Golden sun is dead but still regarded as more modern than :ultrob::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt: which were still absent in the 2000s era and 2010s era i wouldnt count cameos
Ignoring the jokes about Retro Studios, Dark Samus' in game death and my bitterness towards Prime 4, Ice Climber was 17 when Melee came out. If that counts as retro, games from 2004 are retro too aa 2004 was 17 years ago

While it does, it's also worth remembering that since we're talking a Prime game, it's very likely to be very large in scope. It's a central theme in all three Prime games so far, and I'd imagine that Retro would want as solid footing as possible before showing anything off. Valve is another good example of this philosophy - usually they don't show things off until they're 100 % sure it's ready, even if it takes 3+ years to get to that point.
Plus, it's Nintendo. In the Switch era, they've been hesitant to show anything from games more than 6 months ahead of release. Not showing something from a game that's likely 2 years out is actually the norm for the company.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If this is something related to fighter pass 2, is it possible a character could come with an echo? Just some food for thought.
Peripuff Peripuff can you check to see if Pyra & Mythra shared the same number or not?

I wonder if the echo would be bundled WITH the character in the same site entry, or have their own entry

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Peripuff Peripuff can you check to see if Pyra & Mythra shared the same number or not?
I don't see why they wouldn't since you don't buy them separately.

Highly doubt it's an Echo Fighter though. It wouldn't make sense unless the character was related to the final full character, and if it was, it wouldn't make sense not to be included in the same pack as the full fighter, especially considering Pyra and Mythra go a bit further beyond Echo Fighters and don't need to be bought separately.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

I wonder if the echo would be bundled WITH the character in the same site entry, or have their own entry
Same number, they only have a single purchase page. I’m not sure how an echo would be handled since they technically could have a separate page anyway.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The New Zealand Nintendo website huh?

Just don't tell Nintendo, or they'll go:

:4pacman:
Joke's on them. If this is real, I'm not sure they can just nuke everything. Maybe hide the page, but then they'd just be confirming it exists. :roll:

Ah, understood. Yeah I managed to make it there from the Australian version of the Smash website (which I got to by googling it)

Also I checked to make sure I could make it there from the Nintendo website in particular and I got to it from this page https://www.nintendo.com.au/catalogue/super-smash-bros-ultimate#fighters-pass-vol-2 which I got to from using the search function of the Nintendo site

This feels pretty clear cut to me
Yeah, I managed to make it there too, meaning it is a page 100% accessible from an official Nintendo site. So now there's only two options: either they messed up with the numbering or we are indeed looking at a bonus post-CP11. Whether it's a bonus fighter without a stage or Spirits; a standalone stage; or another Mii Costume, that remains to be seen.

To settle that question, though, we'd need to try and replicate a similar error in other regions' websites, assuming they all display the bundles in a similar way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This is all curious, because Sakurai's flat-out stated FP2 is the end, but this empty slot raises a lot of questions. Maybe it's just an FP1+FP2 pack, but I'm not sure how the separate packs are counted on the site.

I think Sakurai's stated that he only has two chances left to do the Sakurai Presents, but if it's just a bonus character without a Spirit Board or stage, he wouldn't be able to really go in-depth, right? I'm a bit hesitant to start looking for loopholes and exact words, but still...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is all curious, because Sakurai's flat-out stated FP2 is the end, but this empty slot raises a lot of questions. Maybe it's just an FP1+FP2 pack, but I'm not sure how the separate packs are counted on the site.

I think Sakurai's stated that he only has two chances left to do the Sakurai Presents, but if it's just a bonus character without a Spirit Board or stage, he wouldn't be able to really go in-depth, right? I'm a bit hesitant to start looking for loopholes and exact words, but still...
If this bonus character is individual DLC like Piranha Plant he could cover them in the same presentation as CP11

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe it's just an FP1+FP2 pack...
This didn't originally occur to me, but now that you mention it, I am 100% convinced that this is what it is. You're gonna have to show me some pretty strong evidence to convince me otherwise. It makes too much sense.

Anti-climactic, but eh.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

That's my logic with this situation. If it's just a bonus character like Plant then it wouldn't take long for Sakurai to talk about them. For Plant, he just had a reveal trailer then talked about him for a bit while showing more gameplay footage. I imagine the same would happen with this extra fighter. Thinking about it this way, it would be funny if it was Waluigi.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I wonder if it could be a Volume 1 + 2 deal, but then why would it be listed among the items for Volume 2? You'd essentially be buying Volume 1 AND 2 for the same price as 2 alone.

If it's a character, I doubt it would be a third party (due to lacking a stage, songs and Spirits) or that they would be too complex. Like Rie said, they'd probably be shown off during the same livestream as CP11 - a Final Smash Presentation like we got for Smash 4.

For now, I think I would keep my expectations low and just consider this as a special stage or Mii Costume. But the possibility of it being a single bonus Echo or first party fighter is there, methinks.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If this thing is actually an extra fighter, which I personally doubt, I wouldn't get my hopes up anyway.
I mean, I would because it's a bonus character and all, but at the same time, I just don't see them adding certain characters for such a spot.

When I think of bonus characters I think of weird/surprising additions. Yeah maybe I'm saying this because of Plant but my point is that, why would they put Sora, Chief or Crash, to mention 3 popular characters, as a bonus?

Bonus fighter feels something more fitting for characters you wouldn't expect to see in the game, so basically I'd expect:
  • Random retro character
  • Weird/joke character
  • A Smash OG fighter

Or things like that. It could be also a popular character that doesn't need a new stage or new songs, but if that's the case and they're doing only one extra fighter, I just can't imagine it not being Waluigi.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder if it could be a Volume 1 + 2 deal, but then why would it be listed among the items for Volume 2? You'd essentially be buying Volume 1 AND 2 for the same price as 2 alone.
Wait, it's listed as second Fighter's Pass DLC specifically? If so then it would make 0 sense for it to be that. Huh...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Announcing a bonus Mii Spellcaster character along with a bunch of Mii Costumes to be released in conjunction with it would make me fairly happy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
FP1 + FP2 deal sounds plausible, but yeah the FP2 numbers are different from FP1’s, plus the missing number comes before the Ancient Armor mii costume.

According to PapaGenos in his video, changing the link to go to the missing number leads to a “This content is not yet available” error, while typing in completely different numbers that don’t match the others leads to a similar error but without the content message 🤔

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here are my predictions as to what it is:
  • Nothing
    • It could easily be a clerical error.
  • An All Mii Costume Bundle
    • It's the most likely thing if one exists for the previous Fighters Pass, and the least likely thing if there isn't one.
  • A Stage Pack
    • There's no way we'll get "Everywhere is Here!" because there are 15 completely absent stages and a few of them were made possible through asset reusage, but we could get a handful of them.

It is definitely not:
  • A Fighter
    • They have definitively said that there are only the final two left and that's it.
  • An Echo Fighter
    • It would not make sense to 1, exist because they said there wouldn't be any, and 2, be sold separately, especially since Pyra and Mythra are a thing.
  • A Pack Combo
    • It doesn't make sense as a Fighter Pass 2 item.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
FP1 + FP2 deal sounds plausible, but yeah the FP2 numbers are different from FP1’s, plus the missing number comes before the Ancient Armor mii costume.

According to PapaGenos in his video, changing the link to go to the missing number leads to a “This content is not yet available” error, while typing in completely different numbers that don’t match the others leads to a similar error but without the content message 🤔
Tested this myself. It actually pulls the "Content not available" thing for a lot of different numbers, not just with the mystery slot.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

I tried some random numbers and it always says that

Based on everything, my guess is that it’s a stage. I hope it’s a Tetris stage

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just thought of this scenario. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

It is the final presentation and Sakurai just got done explaining everything related to CP11. He says that is the end of Fighter Pass 2 and DLC is now wrapping up. But then he says "We do got one more surprise for you. Take a look."

It then transitions to s Smash reveal. The trailer opens up with a wide shot of a golf court. You see Mario and other people playing golf without a care in the world. All of a sudden, golf balls start flying towards them with great speed and power. The camera then pans over to the corner of the golf court. It's Waluigi! He is in his golf clothes and is ready to shower Mario and friends with more golf balls and it's at this moment that you expect the splash screen to appear....but then Waluigi gets hit in the head by some golf balls and falls down. Then Chain Chomp appears and you see the splash screen "Chain Chomp Becomes the Ball". They show Chain Chomp as an actual character.

What is your reaction?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If it's a fighter, I think it'd be a popular character from a setting that's already covered by a fighter, and wouldn't need a full pack. Someone like Waluigi or Bandana Dee. Probably a first-party, because it'd be easier to just not have to get the rights to the quick bonus character.

It is the final presentation and Sakurai just got done explaining everything related to CP11. He says that is the end of Fighter Pass 2 and DLC is now wrapping up. But then he says "We do got one more surprise for you. Take a look."

It then transitions to s Smash reveal. The trailer opens up with a wide shot of a golf court. You see Mario and other people playing golf without a care in the world. All of a sudden, golf balls start flying towards them with great speed and power. The camera then pans over to the corner of the golf court. It's Waluigi! He is in his golf clothes and is ready to shower Mario and friends with more golf balls and it's at this moment that you expect the splash screen to appear....but then Waluigi gets hit in the head by some golf balls and falls down. Then Chain Chomp appears and you see the splash screen "Chain Chomp Becomes the Ball". They show Chain Chomp as an actual character.

What is your reaction?
Not the Assist Trophy promotion I was expecting but I'll take it :4pacman:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

What is your reaction?
It would be the same joke as Piranha Plant. it's a joke that works the first time but you really need to bring something to the table for it to work again. And for this scenario it would remind of the Mad Piano being added to Smash 64 remix, It's added because it's 'lol random' and not much else.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

What is your reaction?
"I can't believe this is our non Triforce Zelda rep."

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tested this myself. It actually pulls the "Content not available" thing for a lot of different numbers, not just with the mystery slot.
I tried some random numbers and it always says that

Based on everything, my guess is that it’s a stage. I hope it’s a Tetris stage
Oh, ok; maybe I remembered that part of his video wrong, or it just sometimes loses the message, but of course doesn’t mean anything now that we know this.

Idk what it is, I just hope it’s a bonus fighter or old stages. Tetris stage would be awesome, too.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we're getting a past stage pack, here are my predictions:
  1. Mushroom Kingdom (but with a different name)
    • A unique stage made using the assets of the existing Mushroom Kingdom stage.
  2. Planet Zebes
    • A unique stage that uses the same or similar programming as Brinstar for the acid, and is able to be made quicker because the stage can be low-rez.
  3. Poké Floats or Jungle Hijinxs
    • Either an incredibly popular stage remade by re-texturing and slightly altering existing Pokémon models, or a touched up Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U stage if that isn't possible.
  4. Sector Z
    • Corneria hit with the scale tool and lower resolution textures.
  5. Woolly World
    • A touched up stage from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U (and adding a 5th stage to a series with only 18 tracks to distribute between them grumble grumble).
EDIT: If both Poké Floats and Jungle Hijinxs are deemed impossible, then I predict PictoChat instead.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So now we have something new to speculate.

Remember that joke I made about both Lloyd and Yuri coming as two of the three Fighter packs thanks to the Tales of Chun-Li rumor, what if the extra slot is Yuri or vice versa? :p

Ivander

Smash Legend
What if we get a stage pack but it’s the WoL exclusive stages like Rathalos’s and Galleom’s?
Galleom's I think is supposed to be a pseudo-Shadow Moses Island. Like how Giga Bowser and Dracula use Final Destination and Dracula's Castle. That said, Ancestral Steppes(Rathalos' stage), fallen Hyrule Castle(Ganon's stage) and Marx's stage(while it would make sense to be Milky Way Wishes, I don't know if it is as it doesn't resemble any planet or area from MWW) as new stages would be awesome.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Galleom's I think is supposed to be a pseudo-Shadow Moses Island. Like how Giga Bowser and Dracula use Final Destination and Dracula's Castle. That said, Ancestral Steppes(Rathalos' stage), fallen Hyrule Castle(Ganon's stage) and Marx's stage(while it would make sense to be Milky Way Wishes, I don't know if it is as it doesn't resemble any planet or area from MWW) as new stages would be awesome.
You’ve also got Galeem and Dharkon (Final Battle area)’s stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom