• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Hey, I’ll be 37 next month so I’m not far behind you lol.
these posts make me realize how young i am, to think i felt old because i learned Mario galaxy is more than ten year's old, wow i feel old that was a while ago that was my childhood game, and katamari, i had good taste even when i was young. i think i also played 1 spyro game but that was a repressed memory, maybe i played the bad ones. i guess fire emblem awakening was my very late childhood game to and is what got me into RPG's.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
these posts make me realize how young i am, to think i felt old because i learned Mario galaxy is more than ten year's old, wow i feel old that was a while ago that was my childhood game, and katamari, i had good taste even when i was young. i think i also played 1 spyro game but that was a repressed memory, maybe i played the bad ones. i guess fire emblem awakening was my very late childhood game to and is what got me into RPG's.
Well I see you have great taste in JRPGs with that Kuja avatar. Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game ever and it’s great it seems like you went back to give it a chance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually, I think the shooter genre is already repped by Samus and Snake.
Kind of, though the former is more well known for being a platformer, and the latter has a much higher focus on stealth, so it doesn't quite hold the same draws as your typical FPS (also I'm pretty sure it's 3rd person, which means it doesn't count at all).

I think to have a true FPS rep, you'd have to have something along these lines:
  • Overwatch
  • Call of Duty
  • Halo
  • Warframe (It does have a stealth thing going on too in most missions, but you can-and most people seem to-go in guns blazing anyway)
  • Titanfall
  • Team Fortress 2

Replying to that card game rep comment has got me thinking: What genres have not been repped in the playable roster, yet? There's card video games, horror games, visual novels,, MMOs, Western RPGs, RTS games, and even hentai games (though I know the last one ain't gonna happen).
The main thing I've got to add is beatemups: stuff like Streets of Rage or the Kunio-kun games. And maybe roguelikes, but at this point that feels like a subgenre that can be slotted into whatever other genre you want, so I don't know that it's a pressing inclusion.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I am still waiting for a Sukapon deluxe mii costume I hope it gets the same treatment as bomberman as sukapon have simple textures coloring
Replying to that card game rep comment has got me thinking: What genres have not been repped in the playable roster, yet? There's card video games, horror games, visual novels,, MMOs, Western RPGs, RTS games, and even hentai games (though I know the last one ain't gonna happen).
2D spaceship shooting games like space invader and zero wing
Rythm games like vocaloid and rythm heaven and space channel 5
Farm games like harvest moon
Cooking mama has its own category
Beat’em up games like urban champion and battletoads and river city ransom
Pinball games
Tower defense like plants vs zombies
Also an actual freaking car

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The main thing I've got to add is beatemups: stuff like Streets of Rage or the Kunio-kun games. And maybe roguelikes, but at this point that feels like a subgenre that can be slotted into whatever other genre you want, so I don't know that it's a pressing inclusion.
When you say it like that, it makes you realize roguelikes are in the same situation as battle royales and now I'm wondering how the %$#@ a battle royale roguelike would work if we can just slap them onto anything we want.

SKX31

Smash Master
When you say it like that, it makes you realize roguelikes are in the same situation as battle royales and now I'm wondering how the %$#@ a battle royale roguelike would work if we can just slap them onto anything we want.
Dynasty Warriors but every player has an army of his / her own, and you choose to play as one of the main characters. Only, there are 100 players in the same server looking for the W.

If there's one way to top CoD's ridicolous storage requirements...* :4pacman:

*Based on an actual true story going around:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And maybe roguelikes, but at this point that feels like a subgenre that can be slotted into whatever other genre you want, so I don't know that it's a pressing inclusion.
That's probably accurate. The Binding of Isaac, Slay the Spire, and Spelunky probably wouldn't be games you'd recommend because they're similar from a gameplay perspective, but they do share a few traits that tie them together, so the genre is actually helpful in describing them.

Wish the same could be said for the Action Adventure genre.

2D spaceship shooting games like space invader and zero wing
I believe these are called Shoot 'em Ups, with Bullet "Heck" being a subgenre where the game tries to distract you with a ton of visual noise.

Well one is a genre where you lose all but a bit of your progress when you die, and the other is a competition against 99 other people where you lose everything when...you...die.

Huh.

All the items are already randomized from what I can tell. So battle royales basically are roguelikes. They just need procedurally generated maps and they will be there.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dynasty Warriors but every main character has an army of his / her own, and you choose to play as one of the main characters. Only, there are 100 players in the same server looking for the W.

If there's one way to top CoD's ridicolous storage requirements...* :4pacman:

*Based on an actual true story going around:

I am going to take that headline and pin it on the wall because that is the best %$#@ing headline I've ever seen. Reads like something from The Hard Times, except it's actually official. How the %$#@ do you even manage that?
Well one is a genre where you lose all but a bit of your progress when you die, and the other is a competition against 99 other people where you lose everything when...you...die.

Huh.
All the items are already randomized from what I can tell. So battle royales basically are roguelikes. They just need procedurally generated maps and they will be there.
Oh.

Oh.
Rowlet.png

What the %$#@

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You could also have each player keep a piece of equipment they found for the next match (though perhaps particularly powerful equipment would have to be lost each round).

SKX31

Smash Master
I am going to take that headline and pin it on the wall because that is the best %$#@ing headline I've ever seen. Reads like something from The Hard Times, except it's actually official. How the %$#@ do you even manage that?
Long story short, Activision filled the entire package with so much stuff they straight up didn't account for what would happen when the oven overfilled with content. A previous article from the Verge explains the original situation:

The latest Call of Duty game collection may now be too big to fit the base 500GB PlayStation 4 hard drive (via IGN). According to the official Call of Duty blog, if you want to have the latest Call of Duty: Warzone update and the full Black Ops: Cold War and Modern Warfare package on your PS4, you’ll have to uninstall content you don’t use.

The games make that somewhat easy to do by letting you remove certain modes — for example, if you only want to play Warzone, you could uninstall Black Ops’s single player, Zombie, and arcade modes, but it seems a bit ridiculous that you can’t fit three (or really, two and a half) games on an entire game console. That’s especially true since Activision sort of treats these three games as one thing: Warzone blends the content from Modern Warfare and Cold War, acting as a bridge between the two, with players being able to add and remove the parts they want.
So the article the tweet links to continues:

Activision is finally doing something about the tremendous file sizes of recent Call of Duty games. The company is announcing that both Modern Warfare and the free-to-play Warzone will be much easier on hard drives after the next update. The space savings vary depending on what platform the game is installed (and which content packs you have installed), but they’ll be at least 30GB if you have both full games installed — meaning you’ll actually have enough room to install another AAA game if you like.

The update is set to be released on March 30th, but while it may be easier on your hard drive, downloading it won’t be easy on your internet connection. Activision says the one-time Season Two Reloaded update will be larger than usual (up to 57GB for those who just play Warzone). The good news is that future updates shouldn’t be as big, but you will want to mind your data caps.
30 gigs of space saved, baybee! Not that much considering the gargantuan... umm... 250 GB Modern Warfare alone takes, but it's a step in the right direction. While the file sizes have increased by a huge margin recently amongst many titles, MW stands out as a particular sore spot.

FPS Youtuber Raycevick discusses the topic of massive file sizes (incl. CoD since he's played that series for quite a while) here. He also discusses DOA6 as an example of where it's hidden:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like how people are saying Hayabusa's dead for sure this time as if Ninja Gaiden doesn't have infinite continues. **** it, Ninja gaiden romhack where all the enemies are Smashboards users
My avatar doesn't do damage, it's just really bouncy and has a knack for standing on edges.

Also it's ears would be grey because the red and blue go over the color limit.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I like how people are saying Hayabusa's dead for sure this time as if Ninja Gaiden doesn't have infinite continues. **** it, Ninja gaiden romhack where all the enemies are Smashboards users
Well Ryu has to deal with not 1 but 2 kuja's, I think 2 kuja's could probably defeat ryu infinitely, don't we also have a godzilla avatar here as well?
yeah we could beat ryu in a fight.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wanna say also that if Hayabusa isn't happening, I'm fully convinced we're not getting any new companies this time around and we'll continue to pull from a pool of characters and series more readily available, with minimal new negotiation necessary.

It would be completely baffling to me if we got another company, or even two, and neither of them would be arguably the single most prominent third-party partner on the Switch. It's possible of course, but I find it particularly unlikely. Honestly would be equally baffling if we just straight up don't see anymore KT content in general, like not even a batch of costumes like Ubisoft, but in any case. Of course there's the point that SNK beat Koei Tecmo to the punch, so I do think that particularly small / cheap companies to work with are fair game.

It wouldn't be that shocking because IMO that's what this pass has established so far and it's a reasonable trend to suspect may continue - by this time in FP1 we had two new companies + Atlus (your choice if you want to count that). I saw Koei Tecmo (and still do) as a potential variable since they are a fairly small company and likely super easy to negotiate with given their current status with Nintendo. It'd be a hard sell to convince me that someone like Activision will appear at this point, on the flip side. It's just becoming increasingly clear that the priorities are in a different place than they were with FP1.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
INB4 we get a Dynasty Warriors character so they can be like "oh, and they also crossed over with The Legend of Zelda, and Fire Emblem".

I'd be fine with it if they came with Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors tracks that could be played on both their respective series' stages.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wanna say also that if Hayabusa isn't happening, I'm fully convinced we're not getting any new companies this time around and we'll continue to pull from a pool of characters and series more readily available, with minimal new negotiation necessary.

It would be completely baffling to me if we got another company, or even two, and neither of them would be arguably the single most prominent third-party partner on the Switch. It's possible of course, but I find it particularly unlikely. Honestly would be equally baffling if we just straight up don't see anymore KT content in general, like not even a batch of costumes like Ubisoft, but in any case. Of course there's the point that SNK beat Koei Tecmo to the punch, so I do think that particularly small / cheap companies to work with are fair game.

It wouldn't be that shocking because IMO that's what this pass has established so far and it's a trend that I think is reasonable to suspect may continue - by this time in FP1 we had two new companies + Atlus (your choice if you want to count that). I saw Koei Tecmo (and still do) as a potential variable since they are a fairly small company and likely super easy to negotiate with given their current status with Nintendo. It'd be a hard sell to convince me that someone like Activision will appear at this point, on the flip side. It's just becoming increasingly clear that the priorities are in a different place than they were with FP1.
If that's the case, it would indeed narrow down potential choices to the likes of Konami, Capcom, Sega, Namco, SNK, and perhaps to a lesser degree Square and Microsoft.

Konami and Capcom are interesting in that respect given its been nothing but costumes since the base game. Namco's a possibility but have gotten even less in an even longer period, and SNK feels like it put a lot of its significant content with Terry. Given all that, (and that Microsoft and SE have already gotten a character in this pass) part of me wonders if Sega could be due given that they've already been open to DLC twice now.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Imagine being Koei Tecmo and developing multiple universally acclaimed games for your partner company Nintendo but your star character isn't even considered for their crossover fighting game series.

If that was me, I'd be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.
Well, it happens.

Bandai Namco is the primary developer for modern Smash games and yet all they get is one character. Ubisoft has done a lot of work with Nintendo and yet all they get are a few Mii outfits and spirits/trophies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think there’s a nonzero chance they could opt for Dynasty Warriors, but I think it would a bit weird to justify with Hayabusa right there.

I know the Warriors series is technically bigger too, but Hayabusa is definitely the bigger name and KT’s go-to poster boy and crossover star whose legacy already fits in so well with Smash’s cast.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Hayabusa doesn't get in during Smash Ultimate he will make it eventually. It's a matter of time. If anything the only thing he might had against him before Ultimate was the lack of significant demand. It definitely existed but maybe it wasn't enough for Nintendo to care. But that has definitely changed now.

Now, between Hayabusa being in every leak, him gaining a lot of popularity during the current speculation, rumours of a new Ninja Gaiden game (plus the upcoming remasters), and people at Koei Tecmo being seemingly open to the idea, it's just a matter of when if you ask me. Plus the history of the series with Nintendo back during the NES/SNES era.

It makes too much sense to not happen in the future, just like Castlevania. So even if he's out for Ultimate I'm confident he will eventually be in a future Smash game.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Next company to be represented better be like SNK go all out on their content as much as possible

-They are notoriously lax with their music.
-They are one of the oldest Japanese developers/publishers not yet represented in the game.
-They are adding a lot of their games to the switch and have supported the SNES when that was a thing.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Kind of, though the former is more well known for being a platformer, and the latter has a much higher focus on stealth, so it doesn't quite hold the same draws as your typical FPS (also I'm pretty sure it's 3rd person, which means it doesn't count at all).

I think to have a true FPS rep, you'd have to have something along these lines:
  • Overwatch
  • Call of Duty
  • Halo
  • Warframe (It does have a stealth thing going on too in most missions, but you can-and most people seem to-go in guns blazing anyway)
  • Titanfall
  • Team Fortress 2
I'd argue Half-Life is worth including on the list as well.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

-They are notoriously lax with their music.
-They are one of the oldest Japanese developers/publishers not yet represented in the game.
-They are adding a lot of their games to the switch and have supported the SNES when that was a thing.
I haven’t played any falcom games but who are the characters candidates of that company to be presented in smash?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I haven’t played any falcom games but who are the candidates of that company?
Adol, The Main character of the Ys franchise, Adol would be a very fast sword wielder.
Estelle, The Icon of the Trails series and the main character of 2 of the 3 Trails In The Sky games, She is a Bo-staff wielder who uses what is basically magic
Rean, The Most recent Trails protagonist, he is the protagonist of the 4 Cold Steel games, He is a Katan wielder who also uses what is basically magic.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Adol, The Main character of the Ys franchise, Adol would be a very fast sword wielder.
Estelle, The Icon of the Trails series and the main character of the 3 Trails In The Sky games, She is a Bo-staff wielder who uses what is basically magic
Rean, The Most recent Trails protagonist, he is the protagonist of the 4 Cold Steel games, He is a Katan wielder who also uses what is basically magic.
Well, small correction, but Estelle is the main character of two Trails in the Sky games. The Third game has the protagonist role switch over to my guy, Kevin Graham.
Kevin_Graham_(SC).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom