• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
has the most alts of any male character in Fire Emblem Heroes,
Um...not exactly? Ike has 5 versions in Fire Emblem Heroes, and so do Hector, Ephraim, Chrom and Marth. And if we want to be technical, Hector got his 5th version first, than Ephraim, than Chrom, than Marth. Than Ike got his 5th version.

So it's not wrong to say Ike has the most versions for a male character, which is 5, but it's not exactly right either when Hector, Ephraim, Chrom and Marth also have 5 too. And it could possibly become wrong if Risen King Chrom appears on the next Fallen banner.

Edit: I just remembered the Resplendent costumes and yeah, Ike and Brave Ike have them, so if they are counted, Ike does have the most "costumes". Whether his Resplendent costumes actually count as Alts is another story, as Resplendents are just a costume for a character in the game already. There are only 5 versions of Ike, since Resplendent Ike and R!Brave Ike are just regular Ike and Brave Ike, but in terms of costumes/different looks, Ike does have the most with 7.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Pretty soon that’ll be Sony too if that rumor of the PS3/PSP/Vita digital storefront shutting down in July is true (which it probably is)
About that:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Um...not exactly? Ike has 5 versions in Fire Emblem Heroes, and so do Hector, Ephraim, Chrom and Marth. And if we want to be technical, Hector got his 5th version first, than Ephraim, than Chrom, than Marth. Than Ike got his 5th version.

So it's not wrong to say Ike has the most versions for a male character, which is 5, but it's not exactly right either when Hector, Ephraim, Chrom and Marth also have 5 too. And it could possibly become wrong if Risen King Chrom appears on the next Fallen banner.

Edit: I just remembered the Resplendent costumes and yeah, Ike and Brave Ike have them, so if they are counted, Ike does have the most "costumes". Whether his Resplendent costumes actually count as Alts is another story, as Resplendents are just a costume for a character in the game already. There are only 5 versions of Ike, since Resplendent Ike and R!Brave Ike are just regular Ike and Brave Ike, but in terms of costumes/different looks, Ike does have the most with 7.
Yeah was about to say that before I read your edit.

For this argument's purpose, the resplendents count as an "alternate version" of the character.

In fact, I would argue that Ike being not only one of the first characters to receive a Resplendent, but also THE first (and as of right now only) character to have a resplendent of an alt to push the highly controversial FEH pass just goes to show how confident Intsys is in Ike and how much they can ride off his popularity.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
About that:
In that case, let's hope we didn't accidently will it into existance...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
On the Run has surpassed 9+ million downloads in just a day.

So yeah, Crash is still going strong.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Can I use this as an excuse to mention Euden again? We're talking about mobile gaming, after all...

Technomage

Smash Champion

Awesome, though on the other hand, Nintendo isn't really profiting from the game, so I'm not sure how much that'd influence Crash's chances to Smash.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sure, the Tellius games didn't leave as much of an impact, but it's Ike. Regardless of how big his game of origin is, he's already established himself as very popular, and cutting him will still lead to a lot of negative reactions. You said he could be cut without much backlash, but I honestly don't see that timeline.
Maybe the Tellius games aren't Awakening or Three Houses in terms of impact or popularity, but they're still quite popular. The most popular entries pre Awakening, without a doubt I'd say, even if both games didn't sell super well at the time of release.

I guess it's one of those cases where a game becomes popular with the years. And considering physical copies of both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are absurdily expensive and hard to find, I think the Tellius games being as popular as they are has some merit.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Maybe the Tellius games aren't Awakening or Three Houses in terms of impact or popularity, but they're still quite popular. The most popular entries pre Awakening, without a doubt I'd say, even if both games didn't sell super well at the time of release.

I guess it's one of those cases where a game becomes popular with the years. And considering physical copies of both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are absurdily expensive and hard to find, I think the Tellius games being as popular as they are has some merit.
a remake remaser (in the vain of xenoblade 1 where it kind of blurs the lines a bit) that includes both the tellius games for switch would be nice

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Chiming in on the FE discussion, honestly I think that at least for the future :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultbylethf: are all super safe choices to keep, while I would not exactly bet against :ultroy: and :ultcorrinf:.

I think for me, it is that right now, these characters do a decent job of representing what FE does. Marth fills the lighter swordplay style often seen with Lords, while Ike shows off the bulkier Mercenary style. Robin shows off magic, Byelth shows off the other weapons poorly , and Corrin shows off Manakete style transformations. Roy is the odd man out, but he is super popular and a relatively easy character to develop due to using Marth as a clear base. Combine that with how popular Lucina and Chrom are, I personally doubt thta in the future we would see any FE cuts unless, well, the roster takes deep cuts as a whole, which I personally doubt.

In terms of where to go in terms of representation, I would personally go one of two methods. First off, if we pull from past games I think the only two characters I would like to see considered would be Lyn and The Black Knight. I think both are quite popular and could bring something interesting to the table or please a few people. If we go forward in terms of characters, I personally think the next step FE should take is with a mounted unit. Just put someone on a horse or pegasus and make it work.

That being said, I would prefer other franchises get a bit more...robust representation before we go deeper with Fire Emblem. If I had to point to the franchises that could use some new representation the most, Zelda is imo the most deserving and needs it the most. Zelda has not gotten anything since Brawl if you do not count Young Link being back. I seriously think there is a ton of missed potential with Zelda and representation. People are talking about BOTW2 Zelda maybe being a shill choice if they choose to do one (I personally doubt it), but I would take it. My ideal Zelda reps would be Midna and Skull Kid added as newcomers personally since I think they would be the most fun choices, but honestly so long as the newcomer is unique and fun I will be satisfied.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
a remake remaser (in the vain of xenoblade 1 where it kind of blurs the lines a bit) that includes both the tellius games for switch would be nice
Honestly they should port or remaster most of the Fire emblem on switch. I got into the franchise with Three houses and loved that game, it honestly grew as one of my favorite switch game by far. I was interested to learn more and play other game of the franchise, but the only other FE on the console is Shadow dragon (which I try for a little bit but loike many NES rpg, didn't aged very well). I feel like this is a huge missed opportunity for Nintendo becasue I'm sure I'm not the only one who jump in the franchise with Three houses, so it would be cool to have the GBA games, both Ike's game and, if possible, the 3ds games too.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That being said, I would prefer other franchises get a bit more...robust representation before we go deeper with Fire Emblem. If I had to point to the franchises that could use some new representation the most, Zelda is imo the most deserving and needs it the most. Zelda has not gotten anything since Brawl if you do not count Young Link being back. I seriously think there is a ton of missed potential with Zelda and representation. People are talking about BOTW2 Zelda maybe being a shill choice if they choose to do one (I personally doubt it), but I would take it. My ideal Zelda reps would be Midna and Skull Kid added as newcomers personally since I think they would be the most fun choices, but honestly so long as the newcomer is unique and fun I will be satisfied.
I guess that's an interesting topic: Pick a series, and assume it has all of its bases covered (ex. Super Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:). What are some deeper cuts you'd like to see? (ex. :ultbowserjr::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultpiranha:) You can go with more tertiary characters like Bowser Jr. and Daisy in the previous example, or even smaller ones like Rosalina & Luma and Piranha Plant. It does not matter.

EDIT: And if you like you can go with series that don't already have a character.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

SKX31

Smash Master
Hm. Not sure how you'd fix that without making Byleth just another sword character or breaking Robin.
I'm not entirely sure either, really. But if we're making an attempt:

Byleth's already been buffed recently, that makes it more difficult - it feels like (s)he's just a teeny bit closer to having a decent answer against pressure. The Up B buff certainly helps since now Byleth has a frame 9 option. That said, I'm kinda thinking Byleth would appriciate some additional weight to help survivability some, and slightly longer grab perhaps. If neccessary they could slightly tone down some of Byleth's power for the greater versatility (I'm not sure why Sakurai buffed Down Air and Down Smash recently - did they not kill early enough?).

Robin I think is also decently close to having a good defensive option, and that makes it difficult too. (S)he has a decently fast OoS option (Up B's Frame 8), so I'm thinking something like slightly increased blockstun on the tilts (very slightly though) would help their defensive game a bit.

I don't think that their weaknesses vs. pressure should be eliminated entirely, but allieviating that a slight bit would help the strategy focus. Because they wouldn't have to worry so much about getting beat up on on a defensive mistake. I'm assuming that they're meant to be slow, that's why I'm not touching that.

Yeah, yeah... I actually stopped competing because tournaments became online-only. It was a big bummer for me.

389, huh? That's roughly 2.5 times the amount of players in the biggest major I attended in Brazil, back when Ultimate had just launched... which sounds like a lot, but then you realize this is supposed to account for all of SA. I definitely should try online more, I guess, but it kinda shows how much this thing has affected the community outside of NA.
Yeah, I get that. Again, I don't wanna force you (especially not since the connection over where you are is way worse), but if you decide to go online I recommend going mainly Arenas. Online Tourneys are also surprisingly decent if you just wanna screw around with a character you haven't played much, even if you wind up playing against bots.

Also, heads up: Nintendo seems to have bungled things up with the last patch.

I guess that's an interesting topic: Pick a series, and assume it has all of its bases covered (ex. Super Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:). What are some deeper cuts you'd like to see? (ex. :ultbowserjr::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultpiranha:) You can go with more tertiary characters like Bowser Jr. and Daisy in the previous example, or even smaller ones like Rosalina & Luma and Piranha Plant. It does not matter.

EDIT: And if you like you can go with series that don't already have a character.
Lets take the Zelda series as an example:

One of the issues with Zelda series representation is that said representation lacks clear character archetypes for the amount of characters present.

• I won't go into :ultganondorf: much since his legacy as a Falcon (semi-)close status has been debated already to hell and back. Suffice to say, he could benefit from changes to that department.
  • The three Links are in that wonky spot where they could be reduced to one or two Links: :ultlink: and :ulttoonlink: as a borderline case and have most of the bases covered. Akin to the Marth examples, the three Links play differently, but that's mostly due to stat differences and where the moves send. Otherwise they share most of the same design space. Which is a bit of a missed opportunity with Toon Link especially - he could benefit from the items originating from his games at this point.
  • :ultzelda: is not only here to stay - she actually has the archetype and design space, and from that standpoint she's in a good spot. Ultimate helped her out a lot by giving her some much-needed consistency buffs and other improvements to her attacks. IMHO she only needs some additional tweaks so she doesn't get killed as early.
  • :ultsheik: might not be "needed" from a casual standpoint or looking at Zelda's history, but it's a wonky area since Sheik has gotten a lasting legacy within Smash Bros. Of course, some of that legacy is within the competitive area - whether we're talking Melee's potent tech-chaser or 4's versatile damage racker. It's also worth noting that Sheik served as a template for future "Ninja"-esque characters. Which makes it a tough judgement call - I could see Sheik excluded because she's not strictly neccessary, but the character has become something of a staple.

While it's 6 characters... not only are they all the Triforce trio, they also have 3 unique character archetypes between them.

That's where I'd do the deeper cuts to help improve that. Regardless of whether we're talking Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim or whoever. The non-Triforce wielders have been stuck in this AT / NPC role for quite a while now, and I'd personally like to see that barrier broken. Ganon actually has some design space to work on here - while K. Rool is a similar super-heavy, Rool's excecution doesn't cover all bases that Ganon could do. A super-heavy that can teleport alone would be an interesting avenue to explore.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I get that. Again, I don't wanna force you (especially not since the connection over where you are is way worse), but if you decide to go online I recommend going mainly Arenas. Online Tourneys are also surprisingly decent if you just wanna screw around with a character you haven't played much, even if you wind up playing against bots.

Also, heads up: Nintendo seems to have bungled things up with the last patch.
WH-

Why? Why would anyone do that!? Especially with one of their qualifiers right around the corner?

I hope they at least fix it before the Open goes live. Maybe it's better on Arenas and they can just use those, but... man, not a good look. Someone in the comments raised the possibility of it being related to a general Switch overhaul for other games. I'm no expert on these systems, but I wonder if that somehow makes sense.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guys consider this.

E3 Month/June Double Reveal of Crash and Spyro filling the last two slots.

Crash releases in June, Spyro releases in September-October.

How do you react?
Crash id be ok with but do they really have to double dip companies like that?

my reaction

if anything I’d want Square to double dip so I could get Neku (my other newcomer vote on the ballot who remains to be seen, since Fiora got Chrom’d) or even someone like Reimu

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
if minecraft gets a 2nd rep who would you want it to be and how different it will be from :ultsteve:
Fighter 2: Dream. Steve clone, but he has really, really good luck so he gets diamonds almost the second he starts mining. He also has a posse of stans to cheer him on and complain about his foe on twitter. His final smash is buying the opponent, slapping a smiley face on it, and selling it for 4x the price.

Fighter 3: Popbob. From the oldest anarchy server on Minecraft comes the infamous greifer Popbob! They set up end crystal traps, lavacasts, and lag machines. For their final smash, they get a backdoor and hack the match, giving him infinite stocks an KOing the foe.

:4pacman:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Guys consider this.

How do you react?
Happy that Crash got in, but disappointed that 1/3 of Vol. 2 was dedicated to double-dipping. But then again I wouldn’t be surprised if Activision had that idea

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Guys consider this.

How do you react?
Crash Bandicoot is cool, Spyro would be okay but disappointed with the double dipping for the last two slots. I mean they could have saved the last spot for Klonoa.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
WH-

Why? Why would anyone do that!? Especially with one of their qualifiers right around the corner?

I hope they at least fix it before the Open goes live. Maybe it's better on Arenas and they can just use those, but... man, not a good look. Someone in the comments raised the possibility of it being related to a general Switch overhaul for other games. I'm no expert on these systems, but I wonder if that somehow makes sense.
The intent was likely to get an encryption system going - and that's a noble thing, really - but it illustrates Nintendo's / Bamco's troubles pretty nicely. On one hand, many within Nintendo - Miyamoto foremost - feel that new ways to play is first and foremost, and online might as well be more or less secondary. A promoted aspect - that's why I can't say it's an afterthought - but not the primary one either.

On the other hand, advances in online tech and other areas are slowly but surely putting a lot more pressure on Nintendo (and Bamco for that matter). That means Nintendo are increasingly have to spend in resources in areas they don't feel that keen on. At the same time, the demand is growing because of the advances in online tech. Which is why they now find themselves in an awkward situation re: online - I'm pretty damn sure that Nintendo were caught off guard by the uproar when Sakurai had to hotfix a minor improvement and promise more. Bamco's in a similar awkward situation now when rollback adoption's becoming more common.

A stable online's not been a priority for Nintendo since it itself doesn't bring much new stuff to play around with (and because it's expensive)... but really, the baseline for what's considered acceptable is creeping upwards, and that creates more demand for a more reliable - and more expensive - solution.

Guys consider this.

How do you react?
I honestly wouldn't mind it, actually, despite any double dipping. I like both characters despite my start with Crash being Wrath of Cortex (my younger self did not know about the PS1 games) and I didn't get to play Spyro until I tried out ReIgnited and liked that one.

Gameplay wise, I think I'd favor Spyro. Of course, that wouldn't mean that I'd dislike Crash - as I've noted before, a lot of the fun with him would be utilizing aerial momentum to the fullest and knowing when to spin, slide and all kinds of other wacky ****. Spyro would have a commital but presumably hard hitting run, a small disjoint in his fire breath and the ability to reposition with the glide (assuming it would be allowed, and I don't see why not when Steve uses it), which could be a very interesting gameplan in itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom