• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Even though I don't expect an Ultimate DX or something akin to that.

Can I just say, when all is said and done, even though it won't happen, it'd be nice to get Palutena's Guidances updated?

Like, it's a small thing, sure. But it's soo hilariously disconnected that the characters can ramble on and on and on about Cloud, but Sephiroth? NOPE, DUNNO WHO THIS GUY IS LOL.
I always thought it was a missed opportunity that there wasn’t a guidance for Joker with most of the Phantom Thieves
I actually think a good way to do these easter eggs is by not having a Codec Call/Guidance for every single character, but rather only having those for specific characters and spreading the interactions out between stages. For example:
  • Codec only appears for opponents that have some for of weaponry (Samus, Mega Man, Inkling, etc).
  • Palutena's Guidance would appear mostly for Nintendo characters (since fourth-wall breaks have become more common since Uprising), but also a select few third parties like Simon and Mega Man (Captain N, anyone?) and Sephiroth (someone said he should make fun of Pit for being unable to fly even though Sephiroth can do it with one wing and I can't get it out of my head).
  • Navigator should appear for villains, with Morgana and/or Futaba listing their weaknesses not unlike in the Persona series, but also as if they were targets for the Phantom Thieves.
  • Grunty's Rhymes could appear for N64-era characters, or at least those that got games during that era.
...And so on. Less interactions per level, but more interactions overall.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think in a sense a Sonic character would also be more significant to the broader public than certain hardcore gaming circles. The former still has a lot of uncomplicated affinity for the franchise & a well done trailer of Eggman battling the likes of Mario or Link before facing off with Sonic would still be the type of thing that would be huge in Twitter and YouTube circles.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I actually think a good way to do these easter eggs is by not having a Codec Call/Guidance for every single character, but rather only having those for specific characters and spreading the interactions out between stages. For example:
  • Codec only appears for opponents that have some for of weaponry (Samus, Mega Man, Inkling, etc).
  • Palutena's Guidance would appear mostly for Nintendo characters (since fourth-wall breaks have become more common since Uprising), but also a select few third parties like Simon and Mega Man (Captain N, anyone?) and Sephiroth (someone said he should make fun of Pit for being unable to fly even though Sephiroth can do it with one wing and I can't get it out of my head).
  • Navigator should appear for villains, with Morgana and/or Futaba listing their weaknesses not unlike in the Persona series, but also as if they were targets for the Phantom Thieves.
  • Grunty's Rhymes could appear for N64-era characters, or at least those that got games during that era.
Or we could have a Grunty talk for all characters, since it'd be easy and cost no money for VAs or licensing fees.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
no.

they should do interactions for EVERY. SINGLE. COMBINATION OF CHARACTERS. :4pacman:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Just like to ask why?
If I had to give a reason, it would be I don’t think Sakurai is that interested in making a Sonic character given they’re mostly all pretty straightforward moveset wise and he’s tried to include some sort of unique mechanic or gimmick to every dlc thus far. The more accurate reason is personal bias against the Sonic series though.

Pillow

Smash Lord
That raises the question as to whether something that's mostly a bombshell for Japan like Kiryu would be given the E3 spot, were is a solo reveal. E3 tends to be skewed to the west, considering under normal circumstances it's, y'know, an American event.

We got Hero, but we also got Banjo. The year before the big newcomer was Ridley, and Japan doesn't give a **** about him. Every other year the big character(s) were more global.
Kiryu is more popular in Japan but he’s not unheard of in the West. Like a Dragon got lots of coverage here and really reignited general interests in the series, similar to what P5 did to Persona. He’s definitely no Banjo but I think he’d be received by western audiences just fine, especially given how he fits the more gritty serious western tastes for a Japanese character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Codec and Palutena Guidance's will both be replaced with on screen text from Cranky Kong, which regardless of fighter, will eventually degenerate into complaints about how easy today's Smash Bros players have it and how in his day there were only two characters in Super Smash Bros Zero for NES, and that's the way they liked it!

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'd say he'd be a hit, not the most wellknown on the planet, but still very positively received. Though this is reminding me of how people insisted nobody knew what a Dragon Quest was outside Japan
I'd actually argue Kiryu would make a bigger splash over here than Hero, did 'cause Yakuza is actually growing pretty steadily over here. It's not a huge household name or anything like that, but it's building an audience for sure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it’d be neat if Undertale got its type of codec/guidance. Sans making incessant puns while Flowey threatens to murder everyone would be hilarious. You don’t need any VAs either, so it’d cost less and could probably be done for DLC.
Ok but if Mettaton doesn’t have any lines that have him being a fabulous lil mofo I don’t want it

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I think it’d be neat if Undertale got its type of codec/guidance. Sans making incessant puns while Flowey threatens to murder everyone would be hilarious. You don’t need any VAs either, so it’d cost less and could probably be done for DLC.
It would honestly be really cool if any new series in Smash got a type of codec/guidance, since they're really awesome. Like for example, if Reimu joins, Yukari could do codecs/guidances, especialy since she would know most of the cast as video game characters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If I had to give a reason, it would be I don’t think Sakurai is that interested in making a Sonic character given they’re mostly all pretty straightforward moveset wise and he’s tried to include some sort of unique mechanic or gimmick to every dlc thus far. The more accurate reason is personal bias against the Sonic series though.
Love the Honesty

Though in terms of Sakurai not being interested in Another Sonic character, it's hard to know since we don't have confirmation either way.

I will say in terms of the moveset standpoint, the Only character I could see being more straightforward would be Knuckles. Knuckles would have more unique movement options with the Digging and the Gliding, which would be cool to experiment with. He can also Summon Meteors
which is something I thought Sephiroth would be able to do in Smash
, but he's mainly based around Punching and such. even then the movement options available could add new Dimension to the game, Plus honestly I imagine most of the unique stuff would be the Specials or Passive, and that's where most of the unique stuff is with DLC. as an example, most of Hero's unique attacks are his Specials and passive abilities, not his Normal Attacks

Eggman, Tails, and Shadow would probably not be as Straightforward. Tails has his Tails and alot of Aerial prowess, but he's also a tactian and has alot of Technology to use. Shadow can control Space and Time, and there's alot to do with that, along with being able to use some of Sonic's Unused techniques that could add new Gameplay elements. Eggman is Eggman, though that might also be a point against him since it could be hard to implement Eggman, but that's a different discussion

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Love the Honesty

Though in terms of Sakurai not being interested in Another Sonic character, it's hard to know since we don't have confirmation either way.

I will say in terms of the moveset standpoint, the Only character I could see being more straightforward would be Knuckles. Knuckles would have more unique movement options with the Digging and the Gliding, which would be cool to experiment with. He can also Summon Meteors
which is something I thought Sephiroth would be able to do in Smash
, but he's mainly based around Punching and such. even then the movement options available could add new Dimension to the game, Plus honestly I imagine most of the unique stuff would be the Specials or Passive, and that's where most of the unique stuff is with DLC. as an example, most of Hero's unique attacks are his Specials and passive abilities, not his Normal Attacks

Eggman, Tails, and Shadow would probably not be as Straightforward. Tails has his Tails and alot of Aerial prowess, but he's also a tactian and has alot of Technology to use. Shadow can control Space and Time, and there's alot to do with that, along with being able to use some of Sonic's Unused techniques that could add new Gameplay elements. Eggman is Eggman, though that might also be a point against him since it could be hard to implement Eggman, but that's a different discussion
After it's been reiterated regarding Byleth, Min Min, Steve, and Pyra and Mythra, I think it's safe to say Sakurai's personal wants only apply regarding what Nintendo's specified. Even if he doesn't want a second Sonic character, he can only really avoid that if Nintendo just says "Choose a Sega character, we don't care who."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Kiryu is more popular in Japan but he’s not unheard of in the West. Like a Dragon got lots of coverage here and really reignited general interests in the series, similar to what P5 did to Persona. He’s definitely no Banjo but I think he’d be received by western audiences just fine, especially given how he fits the more gritty serious western tastes for a Japanese character.
There's a vast chasm between unheard of and bombshell and therein resides Kiryu outside Japan.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Given we pretty much near our end of Ultimate speculation. When did you guys think it was at its best and funnest?
Everything from E3 2018 to E3 2019. I wasn’t too active here but I was following rumors on Twitter & /v/. My friends & I would read all of the dumb leaks on /v/ every night.

I had to stop myself from screaming when Snake was revealed. He was my most wanted character for Smash 4. Ridley finally getting in was hype. The Belmonts & K Rool were amazing too. I chose to believe in Grinch Leak because of my boy Banjo; I was sad it was disproven but Ken is still cool.

Joker still might be the most hyped I’ve ever been for Smash. He completely blew my mind. He came out of nowhere & showed us that anyone was possible. I also conveniently bought Persona 5 two weeks beforehand.

Banjo was my most wanted at the time (mainly because I didn’t believe in Chief). His reveal wasn’t as crazy as Joker’s (thanks leaks), but it got me teary eyed. Especially because I had given up hope after yet another Microsoft E3 with no Banjo game & Hero’s reveal. He’s my co-main alongside Joker. I love them so much.

The game’s still been cool since then. I love Terry & Steve. Sephiroth came close to the “Holy s***” factor of Joker. But it’s not the same as it was during that first year, it was such a legendary hype train. I’m going to have fond memories of it forever.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's a vast chasm between unheard of and bombshell and therein resides Kiryu outside Japan.
I think Kiryu is more of a Western beloved character though. Like, if a Sega character was chosen based on Japanese popularity it would be Arle and if it were based off Western popularity it would be Kiryu. I don’t think I’m making that up. I’m pretty sure Yakuza is a lot bigger over here than in Japan.

Edit: nvm. It’s pretty effin huge in Japan but it’s pretty big over here as well so Kiryu really does feel like a no brainer Sega character.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Kiryu is more of a Western beloved character though. Like, if a Sega character was chosen based on Japanese popularity it would be Arle and if it were based off Western popularity it would be Kiryu. I don’t think I’m making that up. I’m pretty sure Yakuza is a lot bigger over here than in Japan.
Yakuza seems like the kind of series that would be more popular in the west because of its realistic aesthetic and open-world-ish parts, but it's not. It wouldn't be as lopsidedly Japanese as Arle, but Yakuza is much more popular over there. For a while it used to take several years before the localizations even came out due to sluggish western sales, and some were digital only.

It's recently gained more traction in the west, but it's very much a series with Japan-skewing popularity.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Edit: nvm. It’s pretty effin huge in Japan but it’s pretty big over here as well so Kiryu really does feel like a no brainer Sega character.
For the sake of clarity, do we have a source on Yakuza's Western popularity? Polls, sales figures, interviews, that kind of stuff. It'd be nice to be able to check something so we're confident we have the facts straight.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Personally I think we should be able to get Robin, Corrin, and Byleth to marry everyone.
Why did this give me the idea of a Fire Emblem-esque support system with characters. Whenever certain characters are in a much together they gain points and each "rank" they unlock little mini scenes with the two interacting. It could be a fun extra that could show the characters truly interacting to make up for the lack of subspace in a way.

Shroob

Sup?
You guys are falling victim to hyperbole again.

Sega themselves consider Yakuza a niche franchise, and it has nowhere near the requisite sales numbers (thus audience size) to be considered "pretty big" in the west, nor the Smash demand to compare to past popularity-related bombshells. It's on the rise, but don't get ahead of yourselves.
Does speculation need to be soo logical? :drshrug:

Simple question. Like, I agree that Yakuza isn't a big franchise in the west, but this feels like it's slowly trying to sweep it under the rug again.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Simple question. Like, I agree that Yakuza isn't a big franchise in the west, but this feels like it's slowly trying to sweep it under the rug again.
I guess it's a matter of preference. Some people just like to really put a structure on speculation and look into it like a science project. While others just probably just say "I want this" and that's about it.

I'm personally in the middle. I don't take patterns/theories seriously, and disagree with many of the "rules" in the scene, but I do always find it fun diving into ridiculous stuff like some of my math stuff lol.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
According to these articles
I'm comparing it to Persona to gauge a nicheness baseline as it were. (and to show that Lifetime sales don't mean a lot when it comes to popularity)

Yakuza has 14 million Lifetime sales and Persona has 13 Million lifetime sales (And Shin Megami Tensei as a whole are at 17 Million sales) (This is the primary source but it is in Japanese)

That isn't going into individual game sales which could be used to scale popularity so lifetime sales aren't a great indication of that,

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is the kind of complaint I get usually only after making a good point against something.

So thanks. :p

Saying it wouldn't be a bombshell in the west isn't saying an inclusion couldn't happen.

It seems like people have a tough time separating criticism of one aspect of a character or claim with criticism of the character as a whole. I mean saying that Yakuza isn't unknown in the west, which obviously is true, wasn't even something I was contending.

Shroob

Sup?
This is the kind of complaint I get usually only after making a good point against something.

So thanks. :p

Saying it wouldn't be a bombshell in the west isn't saying an inclusion couldn't happen.

It seems like people have a tough time separating criticism of one aspect of a character or claim with criticism of the character as a whole. I mean saying that Yakuza isn't unknown in the west, which obviously is true, wasn't even something I was contending.
No, it's just, no offense mate, but lately it's felt like you've kinda been putting a stranglehold on discussion for some of these smaller series. Like the Touhou stuff for the other day. People were just tossing around ideas for fun, and then you kinda came in with "It's not happening."

Like, I think most of us deep down know it's not, but what's the harm in talking about it? Because even if it's not your intention to stifle discussion, it's kinda understandable that it does end up being the case. Sure, some people will take the current glitches and go on full-blown conspiracy theory, but at the same time, that's also not everyone either.

I don't really care if I'm stepping out of line here, I'm just being brutally honest with ya, this thread's the speculation thread, I don't see why it's soo wrong to toss out wild, impossible speculations for the hell of it. We're wasting our time posting on a dying forum about what video game characters get included in a children's party game, why not just throw out fun, dumb ideas and talk about them for the hell of it? Why kill it before it gets any legs to stand on? :drshrug:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No, it's just, no offense mate, but lately it's felt like you've kinda been putting a stranglehold on discussion for some of these smaller series. Like the Touhou stuff for the other day. People were just tossing around ideas for fun, and then you kinda came in with "It's not happening."

Like, I think most of us deep down know it's not, but what's the harm in talking about it? Because even if it's not your intention to stifle discussion, it's kinda understandable that it does end up being the case. Sure, some people will take the current glitches and go on full-blown conspiracy theory, but at the same time, that's also not everyone either.

I don't really care if I'm stepping out of line here, I'm just being brutally honest with ya, this thread's the speculation thread, I don't see why it's soo wrong to toss out wild, impossible speculations for the hell of it. We're wasting our time posting on a dying forum about what video game characters get included in a children's party game, why not just throw out fun, dumb ideas and talk about them for the hell of it? Why kill it before it gets any legs to stand on? :drshrug:
While I mostly agree with you, I will play Devil's Advocate and point out that this discussion, at least, was about "Is Yakuza big enough in the West for an E3 reveal?" That would allow for people to say no, though it seems like the responses are mixed so far and I'm not sure if we have a definitive answer yet.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Coincidentally, my two most wanted characters are from companies already represented in both Fighter’s passes.

Microsoft: Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Square-Enix: Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah screw logic, I can theorize SpongeBob’s inclusion all I want.

SpongeBob has beloved games and got a Splat War in Splatoon. Take that, Nintendo and Sakurai! Bahahahahahahaha- cough cough breathe sorry about that crazy outburst, no idea what came over me; so anyway, here’s my 100-page essay on why Frisk & Chara will be FP10:

(convincing words)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom