• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I imagine that if the alts were actually references to other Xeno projects, and had been suggested by Takahashi, we'd have at least some acknowledgement of it. Sakurai would have said "these alts were added by special request from Mr. Takahashi. They look a bit familiar, don't they?", with a wink and a nudge, that sort of thing. And to be fair, there's still time for that to happen in a future Famitsu column. But I find it hard to believe that the dude could get away with showing a character named Spring Man from a random manga and not be able to hint in any way that a couple of alt colors were inspired by characters owned by two companies who, need I remind you, are involved in Ultimate anyway.
Actually, Kinnikuman's Spring Man wasn't explicitly shown, just Sakurai going "Heh, there's another character with the exact same name in an old manga" which is extra funny as Spring Man fought Ramen Man in that manha

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Actually, Kinnikuman's Spring Man wasn't explicitly shown, just Sakurai going "Heh, there's another character with the exact same name in an old manga" which is extra funny as Spring Man fought Ramen Man in that manha
Are you sure? I explicitly remember the character being shown, and I don't know where else I could have seen the character; my knowledge of manga is basically non-existent.

I agree on almost everything, though I'd let Ganondorf keep his Sword-based Smashes and Down Air, making the rest of his moveset based on his abilities in Ocarina of Time (Dead Man's Volley), some of his sword-based moves from Wind Waker, and then his Trident, unless Ganon is made a character, in which case I'd give the Trident to him.
I just want to point out that Ganondorf's f-tilt (the boot) is pulled from his boss fight in Twilight Princess. Not a huge deal, but it's currently his one canonical move that comes from an actual Zelda game and nobody brings it up.

Keep the boot.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I just want to point out that Ganondorf's f-tilt (the boot) is pulled from his boss fight in Twilight Princess. Not a huge deal, but it's currently his one canonical move that comes from an actual Zelda game and nobody brings it up.

Keep the boot.
I say make his boot his jab and make his forward tilt the trident. His Up-Smash would also be a cool trident move. Kinda like Palutena's Up-Smash.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't have any stakes in this but Sakurai's been able to outright namedrop Dragon Ball Z in his presentations, Toei are infamously anal about this **** so why would Sakurai be able to namedrop that but not something owned by the people who made the game and are still being worked with?

THE ANSWER IS THAT GOKU'S THE FINAL CHARACTER BAYBEEEEEE
That was in regards to saying the voice of Captain Falcon also voiced Vegeta in Dragon Ball, which was a bit of trivia to let you know what they were known for being in, like when they say other films an actor has starred in for a new one from a different studio, and not something they actually used in the game..it'd be different if they gave a character a colour reference and directly name dropped it. Sakurai has never done this, the closest being hinting at the reference, such as calling the Green Samus 'Mass Production Model' as a reference to the Zaku from the Gundam series.

A confirmed colour reference to something outside of the rights for said character/series/etc is a gray area that they could want to be careful of..its a legal gray area..Like I mentioned above, notice that Sakurai never outright says a reference if its to something outside of the IP..unless it is something generic enough that its not legally owned by any entity.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Keep the boot.
Flame choke is also a move he uses in TP, meaning Ganondrf actualy has 2 canon moves in Smash, though flame choke is only used in a cutscene in TP(he kills the water sage with it after the sages failed to execute him).

Shroob

Sup?
It's so weird as we already have Mega Man in the game. I'm guessing it was solely done for the Ramen Man reference
That's one of those old series that while I've never read, I kinda love in an odd way.

But man, parts of it did not age well, at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That was in regards to saying the voice of Captain Falcon also voiced Vegeta in Dragon Ball, which was a bit of trivia to let you know what they were known for being in, like when they say other films an actor has starred in for a new one from a different studio, and not something they actually used in the game..it'd be different if they gave a character a colour reference and directly name dropped it. Sakurai has never done this, the closest being hinting at the reference, such as calling the Green Samus 'Mass Production Model' as a reference to the Zaku from the Gundam series.

A confirmed colour reference to something outside of the rights for said character/series/etc is a gray area that they could want to be careful of..its a legal gray area..Like I mentioned above, notice that Sakurai never outright says a reference if its to something outside of the IP..unless it is something generic enough that its not legally owned by any entity.
They could have easily said he voiced Dunban.

This doesn't mean Sakurai couldn't say "These might look familiar to some" about the alts though

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I have been playing a lot of don’t starve together with my friends and I realized yesterday that a don’t starve character would be really cool in smash. What are your guys thoughts on if they got in?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What the-

Unless I'm reading this wrong

Are you seriously trying to imply

That nobody remembers Gundam????????

Deadass???
I'm pretty sure the Octillery's meant to indicate sarcasm.

Sidenote, there's a Gundam statue in Rotterdam, I think of a Zaku specifically though I'm not a fan so idk, but google calls it a Transformers Statue

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I had one of those prophetic dreams people seem to have.

Interestingly, I already knew who the character was beforehand. I think I was rewatching a trailer rather than seeing it for the first time. For context, the character in question was Riki.

It showed Pyra on the King of Fighters Stadium with a bunch of Assist Trophies. Obviously, Riki was included. Think there was Isaac, Waluigi, and/or Shadow too, but I don't remember that part clearly.

Then it just zoomed in on Riki slowly as the screen darkened slightly, and it showed whatever his tagline was. Don't remember the tagline either. I do seem to remember being a little irritated we were getting two Xenoblade packs in a row, though.

So yeah. We're getting another Xenoblade rep and an AT promotion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't know much about Gundam but all I know is that the intro theme to Gundam Wing is a banger.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Interestingly, I already knew who the character was beforehand. I think I was rewatching a trailer rather than seeing it for the first time. For context, the character in question was Riki.

It showed Pyra on the King of Fighters Stadium with a bunch of Assist Trophies. Obviously, Riki was included. Think there was Isaac, Waluigi, and/or Shadow too, but I don't remember that part clearly.

Then it just zoomed in on Riki slowly as the screen darkened slightly, and it showed whatever his tagline was. Don't remember the tagline either. I do seem to remember being a little irritated we were getting two Xenoblade packs in a row, though.

Real talk that’d be the one instance I’d be peeved with two Xenoblade characters in a row

aside from my obvious preference, I’d also be cool with Fiora. I just don’t talk about her much compared to Elma cause Fiora got shoehorned into Shulk’s Final Smash on Ultimate’s proper E3 debut but yeah I’d like her

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

bottom text

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think it's time to cut Jigglypuff. We can't reward Hbox after what he's done.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Idk Ricky the Rat kinda had it coming for making the Grinch leak
I do seem to remember being a little irritated we were getting two Xenoblade packs in a row, though.
Xenoblade going from being generally considered underrepped to having 3 DLC characters is an absurd timeline and I'm not sure I want to see Xenoblade be the new "How dare this underrepped franchise suddenly get more content?" of the game

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I have SEVERAL questions...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Xenoblade going from being generally considered underrepped to having 3 DLC characters is an absurd timeline and I'm not sure I want to see Xenoblade be the new "How dare this underrepped franchise suddenly get more content?" of the game
How 'bout a little more?

Fighter's Pass 3 has ten slots. Half of them are for Tora and the other half is for Tatsu

Haaaaave fuuuun :troll:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Dayum pretty dead in here today it seems.
It’s that post character slowness that always happens. Pythra is fresh enough that people aren’t expecting news anytime but not so fresh that people are coming on here with criticisms or love for the character. It happens every time.

SKX31

Smash Master
I have SEVERAL questions...
Think I found the real reason:

lefbox.png

Game.png

:4pacman:

Also, in other news:

“Monthly sales of video game hardware increased 121% when compared to February 2020, to $406 million,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. “This is the highest total for a February month since the $468 million reached in February 2011. Year-to-date hardware spending totaled $724 million, an increase of 130% compared to a year ago.”

Once again, the Switch had an advantage over the competition thanks to the maturity of its supply pipeline versus PlayStation 5 and Xbox. Nintendo is able to get many more systems into the retail chain. And even that isn’t enough to meet demand.
The Switch is still going really strong (not unexpected), so even if Nintendo is R&Ding its successor as we speak don't expect to see it for at least a while.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It’s that post character slowness that always happens. Pythra is fresh enough that people aren’t expecting news anytime but not so fresh that people are coming on here with criticisms or love for the character. It happens every time.
Guess I'll be in the social thread then.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Too late, the release has already sped up to the point that it rewrote the timeline and made it so that Ys IX was actually ported to the Switch two years ago, retroactively making the Switch its debut platform

Yes

View attachment 306984
Funny enough, the Switch port will release almost 2 years after the ps4 release ever since that delay to July. I'm not complaining, it'll let me buy and maybe play 8 beforehand lmao

SKX31

Smash Master
You just wanted an excuse to use that meme again, didn't you?
It's simple. The opportunity presented itself. I took it.
Soon, the common SmashBoarder shall seize the means of that meme in particular, as the Falcom fandom spreads throughout SmashBoards.

That would make it...

OUR MEME.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's only good if it isn't a JRPG getting the treatment. Everything else is uh...

1615577023599.png

"Based". Yeah, based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom