• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I think it's time to cut Jigglypuff. We can't reward Hbox after what he's done.
I love these silly deep bots. I once did a game where I screencapped and cropped a certain personality's tweet and his deep bot's tweet, and dared some Discord pals to guess who the real deal was.
Funnily enough, everyone unanimously thought the bot was the real one.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think it's time to cut Jigglypuff. We can't reward Hbox after what he's done.
DisneyPlace is my favorite place on Earth.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ah yes. My favourite JRPGs getting called overrepped in Smash history. Star Fox, Kirby and Kid Icarus
I kinda now want to see what the ratio of other games to RPG is in Ultimate compared to Smash 64, which was 1/4 of the roster. :ness64: :pikachu64: :jigglypuff64:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes. JRPG encompasses all the stats, equippable items, leveling, and the like. That would include turn-based RPGs, strategy RPGs, and action RPGs.
You know a western RPG could technically fit as a JRPG too :nifty: It's got all of that and more. ES and WoW are some examples.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
for the longest time I thought "turn based" and "RPG" were synonyms.

I still don't get the universe where Skyrim could be considered an RPG
Same, until I started giving some Western RPGs a try like Fallout and The Outer Worlds

speaking of, I need to get back to The Outer Worlds...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still don't get the universe where Skyrim could be considered an RPG
I think that autonomous comparison goes on with a lot of people and they don't really think hard about the "role-playing" aspect of an RPG, they just think RPG. Like, when you play the Dragonborn, that's you roleplaying as this ****ing chosen one. They're all these blank slates that you're meant to personify with your own hands.

And of course that's not every RPG, while you have your :ultbyleth: and :ulthero: who are empty shells designed for you to fill in the shoes of yourself, you have your :ultcloud: and :ultshulk: who are at least trying to be distinct people that you only play as, and yet it's still an RPG by the mechanics of how the game itself functions.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
It's only good if it isn't a JRPG getting the treatment. Everything else is uh...

View attachment 306988

"Based". Yeah, based.
Honestly there is A LOT of JRPG characters in the roster right now. Ness, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Marth, Roy, Pichu, Mewtwo, Ike, Lucas, Squirtel, Ivysaur, Charizard, Robin, Lucina, Lucario, Greninja, Corrin, Cloud, Chrom, Joker, The Hero, Sephiroth, Incineroar, Shulk, Pyra, Mythra.

That's 26, which is over 1/4 of the roster. I get JRPGs are popular, especially in Japan, but I feel as if it's a bit much considering how many see Smash as "Gamings ultimate crossover" when an entire fraction of the roster belongs to one genre as some of the biggest have no reps in general. Run n' Guns, Survival Horror, FPS, MOBA, simulator, Shoot em' Ups, Rhythm, Text based Adventures, ect.

I don't hate JRPGs, sword fighters or any of the inclusions. I just kind of wish Smash representation was a little more balanced on genre and origin.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly there is A LOT of JRPG characters in the roster right now. Ness, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Marth, Roy, Pichu, Mewtwo, Ike, Lucas, Squirtel, Ivysaur, Charizard, Robin, Lucina, Lucario, Greninja, Corrin, Cloud, Chrom, Joker, The Hero, Sephiroth, Incineroar, Shulk, Pyra, Mythra.

That's 26, which is over 1/4 of the roster. I get JRPGs are popular, especially in Japan, but I feel as if it's a bit much considering how many see Smash as "Gamings ultimate crossover" when an entire fraction of the roster belongs to one genre as some of the biggest have no reps in general. Run n' Guns, Survival Horror, FPS, MOBA, simulator, Shoot em' Ups, Rhythm, Text based Adventures, ect.

I don't hate JRPGs, sword fighters or any of the inclusions. I just kind of wish Smash representation was a little more balanced on genre and origin.
Funny you say MOBA and Shmups. I have a feeling we’re gonna see a rep from one or even both of those genres before dlc ends

just God imagine the potential

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I kinda now want to see what the ratio of other games to RPG is in Ultimate compared to Smash 64, which was 1/4 of the roster. :ness64: :pikachu64: :jigglypuff64:
Smash 64: 0,25 (3/12)
Melee: 0,28 (7/25)
Brawl: 0,23 (8/35)
Smash 4 + dlc: 0,27 (15/55)
Ultimate with dlc (so far): 0,28 23/81

So it's actually about the same ratio for each game, with Melee and Ultimate being very slightly higher.

That being said, Ultimate had the most rpg newcomer in term of sheer number, so I think this would explain why it feels like there's more on the roster:
-64: 3 rpg newcomer (every character is a newcomer
-Melee: 4 rpg newcomer
-Brawl: 4 rpg newcomer (Brawl total is pretty low overall because of the cut of Roy, Pichu and Mewtwo)
-4 + dlc: 6 rpg newcomer
-Ultimate + dlc: 7 rpg newcomer (counting Pyra/Mythra as one)

To add to this, out of these 7 rpg newcomer 5 was dlc.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's 26, which is over 1/4 of the roster.
Oh so the ratio is basically the same as it has been? I don't see much reason for complaint then, but that's just me. :222:

I get JRPGs are popular, especially in Japan, but I feel as if it's a bit much considering how many see Smash as "Gamings ultimate crossover" when an entire fraction of the roster belongs to one genre as some of the biggest have no reps in general. Run n' Guns, Survival Horror, FPS, MOBA, simulator, Shoot em' Ups, Rhythm, Text based Adventures, ect.
I totally understand that. There are tons of unexplored genres just waiting to be untapped and implemented into the series, but why attack RPGs when it is such a broad genre that holds the most types of subgenres all explored differently in these games? The reason there are so many RPG characters isn't because of some hidden RPG cult agenda, it's because there are so many different kinds of such a big genre that are being represented. There are elements of RPGs in a majority of any video game whether you'd like to see it or not.

You ask for a balance, but that balance has already been achieved. There is no heavily favored side in the Smash Bros. roster. You are simply pushing all of these games that may be mainly RPGs, but are different in so many ways from one another that they cannot be grouped in anything but a focus genre. The only thing that's truly missing is, as you said, brand-new additions.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think aside from popularity, the reason why there's so much rpg character in Smash is the moveset potential. When you think of Pokémon, Sword wielding Fire emblem characters, Ness and Lucas with their psi powers etc. The moveset is easy to imagine. Other genre don't have such easy to made moveset like Visual novel, Rhythm or Racing (yes we do have one racing rep but I doubt we would get more) (and he basically represent nothing of his original franchise).

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Dunno if it's old news, but the ARMs graphic novel that was planned to be published by Darkhorse Comics was cancelled.

Guess it didn't have any legs to stand on.
here's some good news, Nintedno has an unreleased Spring man figure they used in plans for their new store so ARMS is definitely here to stay.

also im pretty sure the cancelation is just a rumour even though i do think it is cancelled neither darkhorse nor NIntendo have announced it's cancellation.

Edit Here's the image https://preview.redd.it/gk7zcpvoiim...bp&s=b6c9f3cc8f228f55004209500b906d33a4b27fec

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

cashregister9

Smash Hero
here's some good news, Nintedno has an unreleased Spring man figure they used in plans for their new store so ARMS is definitely here to stay.

also im pretty sure the cancelation is just a rumour even though i do think it is cancelled neither darkhorse nor NIntendo have announced it's cancellation.

Edit Here's the image https://preview.redd.it/gk7zcpvoiim...bp&s=b6c9f3cc8f228f55004209500b906d33a4b27fec

Damn that store looks really cool.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
where is the image from?
likely the concept artist took thing from the internet as this isn't emblematic of the store, hence why megaman is there and a spring man statue not officially endorsed by nintendo is there.

it's a mock up of what it's supposed to look like, unless Nintendo as opened their wallet's this is probably temporary.

but for now it really say nothing other than intern like arms.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Saw this on the ARMS subreddit earlier. Turns out to be a piece of fan art and not official.

The figure is from akshop08 according to Twitter.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think aside from popularity, the reason why there's so much rpg character in Smash is the moveset potential. When you think of Pokémon, Sword wielding Fire emblem characters, Ness and Lucas with their psi powers etc. The moveset is easy to imagine. Other genre don't have such easy to made moveset like Visual novel, Rhythm or Racing (yes we do have one racing rep but I doubt we would get more) (and he basically represent nothing of his original franchise).
I think it also helps that most RPGs have a rotating cast. If every FE game starred Marth, there probably wouldn't be as many characters from the series. Every time a new game in the series releases, there's now a major blindspot in the series representation. Mario, on the other hand, can just use a song or two, a stage at most, to represent a game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You'd think it was made in Japan or something. But nah, it's just a bunch of penguins getting messages from Sakurai in Antarctica.
It claims to be a celebration of gaming, which it's not as much as it is a celebration of Nintendo and Japanese gaming, with a pinch of the west.

If I wanted to celebrate sport, then gathered 90 athletes, over half of whom were baseball players, some 30% were American football, basketball and hockey players, and there was one futbol player and one cricket player, that'd be a strange ratio. One that shows the claim isn't outright untrue but it is deceptively aligned.

I obviously love Smash for what it is, I was just as happy when it was solely Nintendo, but that label and people invoking it is a bit misleading.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Idk Ricky the Rat kinda had it coming for making the Grinch leak

Xenoblade going from being generally considered underrepped to having 3 DLC characters is an absurd timeline and I'm not sure I want to see Xenoblade be the new "How dare this underrepped franchise suddenly get more content?" of the game
Wait, someone named Ricky the Rat made the Grinch leak? When was this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom