• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, calm down. Your being unnecessarily rude here.

My point this whole time was that Nintendo is hard to predict. Therefore I obviously don’t claim to know full development cycles.

6 months between Jokers announcement. If I had to guess that was for developing Joker to a perfect condition, and getting Banjo and Hero to be somewhat presentable. Long and ongoing development. Along with finishing Stage Builder, Online Tourneys, and Home Run Contest. Makes sense to me. But I don’t know for sure because I didn’t make the game.

Time between E3 to Terry I could guess was for Bug Fixing, balancing, timing, and the like.
And they clearly did have some work done on Terry, since his model was done. But in development and no gameplay implies not much. Rest of the time was spent developing Terry to be good.

Again, I ain’t part of Nintendo so my word ain’t law. It just makes sense to put the plan together like that.
If they hadn’t given Terry a release window (November) and instead had ONLY said “in development,” then sure I would believe they had barely begun work on him. But you don’t give something a release window that’s only a couple months away if you just barely started work on it. You only do that if you KNOW they’ll be ready by then, aka lots of work has already been done. It’s kinda like when they first announced Smash Ultimate. They didn’t show any gameplay. Did that mean they had just barely started development? Obviously not. I keep saying it over and over, but just because they don’t blow all their load at once doesn’t mean they have nothing to show. It’s just marketing

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If they hadn’t given Terry a release window (November) and instead had ONLY said “in development,” then sure I would believe they had barely begun work on him. But you don’t give something a release window that’s only a couple months away if you just barely started work on it. You only do that if you KNOW they’ll be ready by then, aka lots of work has already been done. It’s kinda like when they first announced Smash Ultimate. They didn’t show any gameplay. Did that mean they had just barely started development? Obviously not. I keep saying it over and over, but just because they don’t blow all their load at once doesn’t mean they have nothing to show. It’s just marketing
Fine. If thats what you wanna believe sure. I don’t. Lets just agree to disagree with this. Cause otherwise this likely just gonna keep circling back to the same point.

Pillow

Smash Lord
The situation isn't looking great for it at the moment, but I genuinely honest to god would be so incredibly happy to see Undertale get a full character someday.

Sans is one of my favorite video game characters, memes or otherwise. I think his moveset would be insanely fun and he's arguably become one of the single most iconic video game characters to debut over the last decade.
I absolutely love Undertale! But having Sans look so good as a costume and having him come with Megalovania felt like a miracle in itself so I find it hard to ask for more content from this game. Like Sans was such a meme request, and he actually came.

I've mentioned this game before but I really think Sakuna would be really cool to see in Smash. The game is super recent, but the weird mix of RPG hack and slash with harvest moon/farmville rice farming seems tailor made for a cool Smash moveset. Plus her design is cute as heck.

Hades is the other game I'll mention that got really popular really quick. Zagreus just oozes cool and would also fit right at home in Smash, though I still have a soft spot for the original game from the same studio - Bastion.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Happy International Women's Day!

View attachment 306414
Source

Here's a fun game, name 10 female characters you want for Smash.

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip
1. Rhythm girl (Rhythm heaven)
2. 2B
3. Ulala (space channel 5)
4. Lara Croft
5. Jill Valentine (Claire Redfield echo fighter)
6. Arle
7. Kitana (Mortal kombat)
8. Krystal
9. Midna
10. Katrielle Layton

SNEKeater

Smash Master

View attachment 306414
Source

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip

My 10 characters:
1. Amaterasu
2. Dixie Kong
3. Lyn
4. Jill Valentine
5. Morrigan
6. Chun-Li
7. 2B
8. Terra Branford
9. Estelle Bright
10. Arle Nadja

I was tempted in putting Tifa instead of Terra, because she's super cool and her being in a fighting game would be great, but 3 FFVII characters would be kinda absurd at this point lol

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I absolutely love Undertale! But having Sans look so good as a costume and having him come with Megalovania felt like a miracle in itself so I find it hard to ask for more content from this game. Like Sans was such a meme request, and he actually came.
Oh yeah, I'm perfectly satisfied for Ultimate. The Sans costume and Megalovania in Smash is far more than I ever expected or could have asked for in this game.

Seeing how Undertale has remained popular for all this time though, and it's getting a big sequel sometime in the coming years on top of a surprisingly massive Japanese following... I consider the prospect of more content in the eventual future to be a strong possibility so long as the series can stay as relevant as it is now.

Here's hoping at least - if not just for the music, really.

Last edited:
Fine. If thats what you wanna believe sure. I don’t. Lets just agree to disagree with this. Cause otherwise this likely just gonna keep circling back to the same point.
I mean I think it’s legitimately unrealistic and impractical logic to think otherwise. Just tryna lay out some common sense. But okay

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I'm perfectly satisfied for Ultimate. Seeing how Undertale has remained popular for all this time though, and it's getting a big sequel sometime in the coming years on top of a surprisingly massive Japanese following... I consider the prospect of more content in the eventual future to be a strong possibility so long as the series can stay as relevant as it is now.
Yeah if Smash keeps moving forward without cutting characters I could see Sans or Frisk in eventually. There's just a long line of indie characters that all would look great in Smash though - Quote, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Hat Kid, Hollow Knight, Miriam, etc. and all seem equally great but it's hard to imagine all of them making it into Smash.

...maybe Rivals of Aether 2 will manage to secure all these characters alongside Shovel Knight and Ori so we can see a true indie crossover fighting game.

I'll also add that Frisk would be a hard character to nail a moveset for. I'm sure Sakurai could probably do it, if anyone could, but he is a very different character in each of the games routes. Perhaps they just ignore the genocide route entirely and make a "love you to death" character with pacifist Frisk.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm not gonna go into marketing or development 101 as I'm no expert lol, but I'll still keep my eye out for Undertale if only for the lack of spirits. I feel like those would be easy to get. But I guess Vault Boy is without one either so who knows.

I don't think marketing nor development goes exactly the same with every game out there though. I also think that sixth "extra" character in the second pass could very well be a late decision.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Millennials, actually. BOOMER CHARACTERS are like, Scooby-Doo or Snoopy or the depressed kid in the yellow shirt that hangs around Snoopy. Or Shaggy aka fiction's mightiest character that isn't Popeye. Those are boomer characters.

POST-MILLIENIAL, or "zoomer" characters though? Sonic's got some friends that debuted in that period, like Silver or Blaze or something, they'd be welcome. More Xenoblades are always welcome, and of COURSE, any Kirby characters from newer games are welcome (anything post-Super Star actually). Undertale seems pretty cool too, I wouldn't complain if they showed up.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Maybe Fraymakers could do it? It's from the SSF2 team, I think.
I had to look this up as I'd never heard of it before. This looks neat! Though I think I prefer something a little more grounded, this assortment of characters seems a little too random like it's some MUGEN offshoot. Seeing ****ing Octodad and the newgrounds Tank guy here really throws me off. A pure Indie only sprite based platform fighter would be something I'd be more interested in seeing, and would donate buttloads of money if a kickstarter for such a project ever happened.

Millennials, actually. BOOMER CHARACTERS are like, Scooby-Doo or Snoopy or the depressed kid in the yellow shirt that hangs around Snoopy. Or Shaggy aka fiction's mightiest character that isn't Popeye. Those are boomer characters.

POST-MILLIENIAL, or "zoomer" characters though? Sonic's got some friends that debuted in that period, like Silver or Blaze or something, they'd be welcome. More Xenoblades are always welcome, and of COURSE, any Kirby characters from newer games are welcome (anything post-Super Star actually). Undertale seems pretty cool too, I wouldn't complain if they showed up.
Okay, DAD!

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'll also add that Frisk would be a hard character to nail a moveset for. I'm sure Sakurai could probably do it, if anyone could, but he is a very different character in each of the games routes. Perhaps they just ignore the genocide route entirely and make a "love you to death" character with pacifist Frisk.
Frisk is a very tricky character to make a moveset for, but it can be done. Here's a moveset that I made, and while it's a bit aquard in places I think it's a good representation of their character, and Undertale as a whole.
I belived I also mentioned this to TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , so I'll tag them too.

SKX31

Smash Master
Hello fellow kids. I'm tired of all these boomers talking about their Genos, Hayabusas and Crash Bandicoots. What are some hip and radical new characters from recent franchises (last few years) you think would be cool to see in Smash?
I'm legit interested in a couple new third party IPs being in Smash:

• Everwild (Rareware's new IP, presuming it's good. It has some pretty interesting ideas.).
  • Genshin Impact.
  • Cyberpunk (despite the launch being a massive mess, it likewise has solid ideas behind it).

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Frisk is a very tricky character to make a moveset for, but it can be done. Here's a moveset that I made, and while it's a bit aquard in places I think it's a good representation of their character, and Undertale as a whole.
I belived I also mentioned this to TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , so I'll tag them too.
It’s an interesting take, but personally I wouldn’t want to see genocide and pacifist frisk in the same character, which is kind of my issue with frisk as a fighter in general.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

lol, im less than half the age of some of the people here so maybe I should avoid this conversation. but im not going to.

Kirby still feels younger while sonic still very much feels like a 2000's kid thing, i think it never quite shook off that image, the closest to do it was mania but then forces happened.

zelda and persona have pretty much the majority of their fanbase made out of teens (im not talking about truezelda where 40 year olds go online to say how much better the older games where from botw even though botw has more than doubled the next best selling zelda)

of course any animal crossing character would work and. uhhhhhhh roblox and fortnite are viable picks in the same vain as mincraft that have huge appeal (now im gonna hide somewhere)

i think some new kirby stuff s sorely needed, the franchise isn't even close to what smash represents it as anymore, back in brawl it was fine but now it's rough.

for younger people some bad options would be crash and ryu hayabusa, or any platforming mascot because outside of internet niche's nobody really cares about them, basically the leftovers of videogames 3d transitional era.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I had to look this up as I'd never heard of it before. This looks neat! Though I think I prefer something a little more grounded, this assortment of characters seems a little too random like it's some MUGEN offshoot. Seeing ****ing Octodad and the newgrounds Tank guy here really throws me off. A pure Indie only sprite based platform fighter would be something I'd be more interested in seeing, and would donate buttloads of money if a kickstarter for such a project ever happened.
I mean, I hardly think most of Smash's assortment of characters could have always been called "grounded", tbh.

And the Assist system they have looks nice, I just wish they had more than 6 playable characters, even if I think they might add more.

Anyway, I'm maining Fishbunjin day one. :4pacman:

Hello fellow kids. I'm tired of all these boomers talking about their Genos, Hayabusas and Crash Bandicoots. What are some hip and radical new characters from recent franchises (last few years) you think would be cool to see in Smash?
I'm gonna agree with SKX here:

• Genshin Impact.
Genshin could pull some really insane **** if they incorporated multiple characters in one, all with different weapons AND elemental properties that proc one another.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

View attachment 306414
Source

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip
Ok, for my picks,

1. Reimu Hakurei
2. Midna
3. 2B
4. Lara Croft
5. Amaterasu
6. Lyn
7. Marisa Kirisame
8. Sakuya Izayoi
9. Viridi
10. Cynthia

Paraster

Smash Lord
Yeah if Smash keeps moving forward without cutting characters I could see Sans or Frisk in eventually. There's just a long line of indie characters that all would look great in Smash though - Quote, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Hat Kid, Hollow Knight, Miriam, etc. and all seem equally great but it's hard to imagine all of them making it into Smash.

...maybe Rivals of Aether 2 will manage to secure all these characters alongside Shovel Knight and Ori so we can see a true indie crossover fighting game.

A while back I worked out a Frisk moveset concept that manages to keep things fairly simple.

The basic attacks, tilts, smash attacks, and aerials all have them use the various weapons and armor pieces from the game (for example, dash attack has them do a ballerina leap with the Ballet Shoes and up smash has them do an uppercut with the Tough Glove).

Throws are based on their most common ACTs, with corresponding text appearing over them (forward throw has them finger-gun while * Flirt appears; down throw has them slap the opponent downward while * Pet appears).

Specials are derived from their monster friends: neutral is a bullet from the yellow SOUL mode (Mettaton), side is spears thrown by Undyne, up has a flame from Toriel/Asgore launch them upward, and down summons a bone barrier from Papyrus/Sans. Final Smash summons Flowey.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
lol, im less than half the age of some of the people here so maybe I should avoid this conversation. but im not going to.

Kirby still feels younger while sonic still very much feels like a 2000's kid thing, i think it never quite shook off that image, the closest to do it was mania but then forces happened.

zelda and persona have pretty much the majority of their fanbase made out of teens (im not talking about truezelda where 40 year olds go online to say how much better the older games where from botw even though botw has more than doubled the next best selling zelda)

of course any animal crossing character would work and. uhhhhhhh roblox and fortnite are viable picks in the same vain as mincraft that have huge appeal (now im gonna hide somewhere)

i think some new kirby stuff s sorely needed, the franchise isn't even close to what smash represents it as anymore, back in brawl it was fine but now it's rough.

for younger people some bad options would be crash and ryu hayabusa, or any platforming mascot because outside of internet niche's nobody really cares about them, basically the leftovers of videogames 3d transitional era.

Well yeah. Millennials go from basically the 80s through the 90s up until the super early 2000s. Once we start talking about Nintendo DS and such, that's like early zoomers. Blaze the Cat, Silver the Hedgehog, etc. These are characters that would have debuted around then (despite the franchise itself being older) and would count TECHNICALLY. Same with Kirby, he's older, but once we talk about Triple Deluxe, Robobot and such, that's more zoomer era I'd say (still fun as bananas though.). Post-Super Star content beyond music and spirits would be really appreciated. I'd say Star Allies is a good place to start when it comes to looking for Kirby characters/inspiration.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, Fortnite will be acknowledged, maybe not RIGHT NOW... but it's simply too big, even I can see that despite never having played it. One day some day, it'll be there.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Well yeah. Millennials go from basically the 80s through the 90s up until the super early 2000s. Once we start talking about Nintendo DS and such, that's like early zoomers. Blaze the Cat, Silver the Hedgehog, etc. These are characters that would have debuted around then (despite the franchise itself being older) and would count TECHNICALLY. Same with Kirby, he's older, but once we talk about Triple Deluxe, Robobot and such, that's more zoomer era I'd say (still fun as bananas though.). Post-Super Star content beyond music and spirits would be really appreciated. I'd say Star Allies is a good place to start when it comes to looking for Kirby characters/inspiration.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, Fortnite will be acknowledged, maybe not RIGHT NOW... but it's simply too big, even I can see that despite never having played it. One day some day, it'll be there.
as a gen z, i agree, kirby needs more stuff and im going to continue on the Roblox train, it has a wider appeal than Minecraft.

but at the same time minecraft is cultured while roblox is a den of 30 year olds tricking kids and sometimes even people around my age (who most of you would also probably view as kids anyway) into paying to win their crappy custom games.

still though it'd make crazy money.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I was curious if a decent sized fighting game roster could be made from just Indie games, and it turns out - yes it can, quite easily...I went for an even 30, but this could easily be bigger.
1. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
2. Shield Knight (Shovel Knight)
3. Black Knight (Shovel Knight)
4. Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)
5. Celeste (Celeste)
6. Isaac (The Binding of Isaac)
7. Meat Boy (Super Meat Boy)
8. The Kid (Bastion)
9. Zagreus (Hades)
10. Cuphead (Cuphead)
11. Guy Spelunky (Spelunky)
12. Pacifist Frisk (Undertale)
13. Genocide Frisk (Undertale)
14. Farmer (Stardew Valley)
15. Miriam (Bloodstained)
16. Hat Kid (A Hat in Time)
17. Sakuna (Sakuna, of Rice and Ruin)
18. The Prisoner (Dead Cells)
19. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
20. Hornet (Hollow Knight)
21. The Pilot (Enter the Gungeon)
22. Zero (Katana Zero)
23. Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer)
24. Jacket (Hotline Miami)
25. Red (Transistor)
26. Stella (Spiritfarer)
27. Gris (Gris)
28. Quote (Cave Story)
29. Curly Brace (Cave Story)
30. Yooka Laylee (Yooka Laylee)

UserKev

Smash Champion

View attachment 306414
Source

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip
All in:

1. Lyn
2. Captain Syrup
3. Pauline
4. BoTW Zelda
5. Elma
6. Medusa
7. Twintelle
8. Bea
9. Ajna
10. Lara Croft

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
as a gen z, i agree, kirby needs more stuff and im going to continue on the Roblox train, it has a wider appeal than Minecraft.

but at the same time minecraft is cultured while roblox is a den of 30 year olds tricking kids and sometimes even people around my age (who most of you would also probably view as kids anyway) into paying to win their crappy custom games.

Hehehehe. "Pay to win". If you want the real zoomer experience, we gotta have a microtransaction fighter.

"You can play as this fighter again in 12 hours... or you could pay up and play them again RIGHT NOW! You could also pay with red gems, but you know how it is, we can only afford to give those to you like... once or twice a week or something"

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

How would Roblox work? Despite me also being Gen Z I never got into it.
Don't all the avatars just run and jump? Or are there custom games to make a moveset out of?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I was curious if a decent sized fighting game roster could be made from just Indie games, and it turns out - yes it can, quite easily...I went for an even 30, but this could easily be bigger.
1. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
2. Shield Knight (Shovel Knight)
3. Black Knight (Shovel Knight)
4. Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)
5. Celeste (Celeste)
6. Isaac (The Binding of Isaac)
7. Meat Boy (Super Meat Boy)
8. The Kid (Bastion)
9. Zagreus (Hades)
10. Cuphead (Cuphead)
11. Guy Spelunky (Spelunky)
12. Pacifist Frisk (Undertale)
13. Genocide Frisk (Undertale)
14. Farmer (Stardew Valley)
15. Miriam (Bloodstained)
16. Hat Kid (A Hat in Time)
17. Sakuna (Sakuna, of Rice and Ruin)
18. The Prisoner (Dead Cells)
19. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
20. Hornet (Hollow Knight)
21. The Pilot (Enter the Gungeon)
22. Zero (Katana Zero)
23. Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer)
24. Jacket (Hotline Miami)
25. Red (Transistor)
26. Stella (Spiritfarer)
27. Gris (Gris)
28. Quote (Cave Story)
29. Curly Brace (Cave Story)
30. Yooka Laylee (Yooka Laylee)
Does sakuna count as indie? if i remember it was picked up by marvelous so same company that does no more heroes, rune factory and story of seasons.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Don't all the avatars just run and jump? Or are there custom games to make a moveset out of?
I'm a Millennial and for the longest while I honestly thought when people were talking about Roblox I honest to Christmas thought they were talking about the Wii game where you knock towers over and Stephen Spielberg was somehow involved.

Then I used Google.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
same but from what i can tell

basically the first but you can also do the second, it just isn't as common, it's more focused on life sim games or platforming ones (not like i've ever played them)

Pillow

Smash Lord
Does sakuna count as indie? if i remember it was picked up by marvelous so same company that does no more heroes, rune factory and story of seasons.
Maybe she doesn’t! I didn’t really research anything this was off of my memory. Though the actual title of “indie” is sort of pointless to me anyway, I feel like any characters from smaller studios that wouldn’t fit in something like Smash still qualify for this hypothetical project.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956

View attachment 306414
Source

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip
1. Tetra