• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The cool thing about Estelle is that from what I understand the Trails In The Sky games are so well-regarded and Estelle herself is so popular in the fandom that I don't think there would be any complaints from Falcom fans if she made it over Adol.

At least, I certainly wouldn't complain. She's too likable to complain about.
Well, to be fair, while there's definitely an overlap between Ys and Trails fans, I don't think that overlap is enormous. Maybe I'm mistaken though. Basically, I'm saying that some Ys fans would be disappointed if Adol wasn't the pick, while Trails fans would be disappointed if the Falcom rep wasn't a Trails character.

I don't know the Trails community super well but in case you were talking about them and not Falcom fans in general, then yeah, I feel Estelle would be well received by most of the fans. Plus I guess some fans will prefer her over Rean even if it's only because she uses a bo-staff and not a sword, unlike Rean. lol

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Well, to be fair, while there's definitely an overlap between Ys and Trails fans, I don't think that overlap is enormous. Maybe I'm mistaken though. Basically, I'm saying that some Ys fans would be disappointed if Adol wasn't the pick, while Trails fans would be disappointed if the Falcom rep wasn't a Trails character.

I don't know the Trails community super well but in case you were talking about them and not Falcom fans in general, then yeah, I feel Estelle would be well received by most of the fans. Plus I guess some fans will prefer her over Rean even if it's only because she uses a bo-staff and not a sword, unlike Rean. lol
Sounds like the solution is to just give us both Estelle and Adol 👌

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
That'd be the dream. Falcom's so easy to work with Nintendo decides to go for two fighters instead of one, leading to an extra slot being added to the DLC, and everyone is happy. Granted, it's not exactly a realistic outcome...
I mentioned this several pages ago I think, but Falcom is like SNK imo. If they do get in, whether with Adol or Estelle, we're getting hella spirits and music to represent all the other franchises under their belt, similar to the extra content we got with Terry. Falcom would totally give Nintendo the rights, like you said they're easy to work with, and as this whole convo is about, no one series really outshines the others.

SKX31

Smash Master
Eh I know it's off topic but you know what the Mithra CPU is capable of.

Thank god it’s happening to other people! I thought I was the only one being annihilated in such a vicious manner.
You're def. not the only one. The Lvl 9 CPU Mythra knows how to juggle people like no tomorrow - I'm reminded of quite a few Pyras / Mythras that I face off with. And sometimes they self destruct for no good reason.

A good tip vs. Mythras is that while you're going to likely get hit sometimes - she's fast - try to limit how long you're consecutively hit / juggled.

That'd be the dream. Falcom's so easy to work with Nintendo decides to go for two fighters instead of one, leading to an extra slot being added to the DLC, and everyone is happy. Granted, it's not exactly a realistic outcome...
I legit thought you would go full Adol Car in that scenario:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I saw those twitter posts above and for a brief second I thought it was Tuesday and that we just got another deconfirmation.

Speaking of, what do you think will be the next series that gets deconfirmed via a spirit event?

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, imagine if instead of Rean, Estelle or Adol, Falcom pushed for the Kuro no Kiseki protagonist as a way to shill the newest Trails game.

I wonder what type of reception this would get from Falcom fans.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I saw those twitter posts above and for a brief second I thought it was Tuesday and that we just got another deconfirmation.

Speaking of, what do you think will be the next series that gets deconfirmed via a spirit event?
Inb4 all this Falcom talk causes a Trails spirit event or something

But fr no Overwatch event yet...?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Your entire bloodline

:4pacman:
bloodlines......bloodlines.....divine bloodlines......Castlevania is getting a spirit event based on the games with Richter?

/s

For those of you who don't know, Divine Bloodlines is Richter's theme.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Good lord, people have standards I think :4pacman:

But to help steer discussion in a different direction, how would you all rank the new stages we got from DLC. Here is mine

9. Garreg Mach

It's ugly. Sorry. A layout that is not fun for hazardless and honestly more than any other stage the transformation makes me a little motion sick. I can handle Northern Crater or Umbra Clock fine, but this is ugh for me. It also does not help the cameo models are absolute garbage. Complete miss, easily the worst new stage in Ultimate.

8. Spring Stadium

I want to preface that I am neutral at best with the stages going forward. Spring Stadium to me compared to the other stages just feels a little... empty. I don't know. Maybe its because it is not as busy as the other stages. Its fine in the same way something like Moray Towers is fine in the base game. Is it egregious? No. Is it great? Not really.

7. Spiral Mountain

I love Banjo, he is arguably my favorite DLC character so far. But Spiral Mountain has problems. I can 100% get why a lot of people feel sick on this stage, the rotation ain't great. For hazards off, the layout sadly just is not ideal. It is a shame since it looks so pretty, but honestly it is just not as good as some of the later stages.

6. Yggdrasil's Alter

Honestly, its pretty much Town and City in its normal form hazards off. Outside of the beginning which if you die on that you are really dumb or doing something dumb, its fine. It has a simple layout that is fun to fight on. Not much to say here.

5. KOF Stadium

I hate walk offs generally, but this stage did them right. The gimmick of hitting someone through the wall is a ton of fun and honestly, the cameos here being tied to the music is such a nice touch. Also has one of my favorite BF/Omega forms.

4. Minecraft World

Its simple. The biomes are a nice touch. Fun in hazards off free for alls, relatively charming with hazards on. Great stage.

3. Cloud Sea of Alrest

I am glad we got this. It is a pretty stage, and Gramps giving his tour guide spheel is fun. Hazards off its on the small side but I dig it.

2. Northern Crater

Honestly if the background was just a tad less bright it would be number 1. A ton of fun to fight on, perfect for free for alls and one on ones. Amazing stage. Very pretty.

1. Mementos

Its just fun. Hazards on is chaotic as heck, hazards off is workable in a free for all. I love the aesthetic. It is just fun.

Here is hoping whoever is next has a good stage as well.
I'll join the DLC stage rating:
  1. Mementos - Just an all around excellent stage with multiple versions and plenty of interesting things going on in addition to the fantastic cameos of the Phantom Thieves. It just absolutely takes full ownership and I love the stage all the more for it.
  2. King of Fighters Stadium - Making a basic flat stadium with excellent cameos into one of the most unique, if not the most unique stage in the entire game easily earns this a top spot just behind Mementos.
  3. Northern Cave - Another absolutely stunning stage that I love for the way Sakurai really focused on telling a specific story from FF7 in stage format. Plenty of moving stages go to different locations, but Northern Cave is its own fantastic thing and it's beautiful. Maybe a little let down by the actual stage simplicity, but just a tiny bit.
  4. Minecraft World - I think I have to give this stage a high ranking because of how it incorporates several unique stages into one to well and truly give Minecraft a solid representation of its biomes. I don't love every version of it equally, but I appreciate the clear amount of effort and care that went into realizing this fairly complex stage. It's also really nice to be able to choose which version you want to play on from the menu.
  5. Cloud Sea of Alrest - It's still a little early, but I think this stage absolutely nails the beauty of XC2 and its got such interesting visual language, and having Gramps act as a living randomized element that speaks is just all around a cool idea that I'm glad got incorporated into Smash. It's a little small and the drops feel very close to the blast zone, but I'm surprised by how much I've come to enjoy this stage immediately.
  6. Spiral Mountain - OK, this one is heavily reliant on nostalgia and seeing the OG Spiral Mountain realized in a meaningful way in HD in Smash. The rotating gimmick I don't hate as much as some others and it usually doesn't bother me, but occasionally it does and it does feel a bit lacking in cameos when I think they could gone further. I also find some of the forms a little less fun to play on than others, but I enjoy it overall.
  7. Yggdrasil's Altar - It's another really beautiful stage of a game I love and it does feel like the precursor to Northern Cave to some extent, but it's also just very standard and really only has a few additional elements like the Slimes. It's a stage I enjoy and think has some gorgeous scenery, but it's also not nearly as exciting as other stages and it can feel empty at times.
  8. Garreg Mach Monastery - A stage that very clearly feels undercooked compared to the rest of the stages. They could have definitely done a lot more with this stage and the elements like the low quality cameos, the chandeliers and market stands that feel kind of completely inconsequential, and the decision to make all areas walkoffs makes for a less stellar stage. But I do like Garreg Mach from what I played of Three Houses a fair amount, the locations themselves I still think hold up well enough, and I LOVE the transitions between sections.
  9. Spring Stadium - I'll be honest, there's not really anything wrong with the stage, but it's 100% the most boring to me and Spring launch pads aren't particularly interesting to me even if they're a little bit of fun. It works fine overall, but it doesn't have any cameos save for some distant banners and of the ARMS world, Spring Stadium was already a kind of boring place relative to some of the far more creative stages down the line. Again, it's not bad, but I just don't have a ton of interest in it.
Keep in mind I'm ranking on the stages separate from the music here also. I don't think any DLC stage has been bad quite frankly. It's felt like a pretty solid and varied output that we haven't seen in a while. That said, I also tend to just love a lot of stages more than most people, so I think I tend to come at them with a more positive mindset than several people I've seen in the Smash community.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
bloodlines......bloodlines.....divine bloodlines......Castlevania is getting a spirit event based on the games with Richter?

/s

For those of you who don't know, Divine Bloodlines is Richter's theme.
It's also the name of a separate game for the Sega Genesis, which, oddly enough, actually seems to lack Spirits at the moment. Hmm...

Paraster

Smash Lord

I think Undertale is overdue for a Spirit Event (at the very least a Sans spirit added in a regular theme event, like Peachette and Lotus were), and an event based on NEO: The World Ends With You around summer is almost guaranteed in my eyes.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I think at this point it's only a matter of time until we get a Monster Hunter Rise Spirit Event. it might be this week as a preview thing but more likely the end of the month.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

If I'm lucky, Balan Wonderworld will get a Spirit Event to promote the release. Square Enix seems to REALLY like Spirit Events...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Everytime someone mentions Estelle im like "yeah i get Tales of Vesperia is very Estelle-centric, but Yuri is the main guy, why aren't we talking about him instead?"

and then i remember "****, wrong character".
Yeah I don't blame you lol.

Now that you mention THAT Estelle and Yuri, if we really end getting a Tales character I truly hope we get Ring A Bell, or at least a remix of it. Probably an unlikely scenario because I suspect the opening song might have some copyright issues, but I can dream.

Literally my favorite song from Vesperia lol

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I beat Tales of Vesperia the other day actually.

i kept losing to duke, thanks for checking

I think it's a pretty good game. I don't know about it actually being in Smash, though, but even still I'm more of a Lloyd guy. SSF2 influenced me lol

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I beat Tales of Vesperia the other day actually.

i kept losing to duke, thanks for checking

I think it's a pretty good game. I don't know about it actually being in Smash, though, but even still I'm more of a Lloyd guy. SSF2 influenced me lol
How IS SSF2 doing anyways? Is it still getting content, or did Flash leaving us kill it?

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't blame you lol.

Now that you mention THAT Estelle and Yuri, if we really end getting a Tales character I truly hope we get Ring A Bell, or at least a remix of it. Probably an unlikely scenario because I suspect the opening song might have some copyright issues, but I can dream.

Literally my favorite song from Vesperia lol
I don’t know what the rights are surrounding it, but it did get MIDI arrangements in Project X Zone 1 & 2, so Bandai Namco has been able to use it in crossovers before.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don’t know what the rights are surrounding it, but it did get MIDI arrangements in Project X Zone 1 & 2, so Bandai Namco has been able to use it in crossovers before.
Good to know then. I know Tales music is composed by Motoi Sakuraba, or at least, most of compositions are from him, but this soing being an opening and the fact it had lyrics it made me think it might have some the issues split between different parties or something.

Just listened the Project X Zone 2 version of Ring a Bell and it's a cool rendition btw.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know...maybe a Poké Ball promotion wouldn't be as egregious for same-game DLC as an Assist Trophy. After all, Pokémon are just members of a species; Sakurai and his team can just pick a specific Pokémon of the same species to add as playable, and they can appear as both playable and a Poké Ball summon at once.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You know...maybe a Poké Ball promotion wouldn't be as egregious for same-game DLC as an Assist Trophy. After all, Pokémon are just members of a species; Sakurai and his team can just pick a specific Pokémon of the same species to add as playable, and they can appear as both playable and a Poké Ball summon at once.
I’m not sure that would be an issue, anyway; Bomberman’s mii costume is identical to his AT.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That just sounds like an AT promotion with an extra step. Effectively, it's the same; A fighter and an NPC version of them existing at the same time in the same place. Sure, there's multiple Pokemon in canon, but if we're going off of canon Samus and ZSS shouldn't be separate, Ridley should be dead, Dark Samus should be dead, and Sephiroth should probably be dead (Though, I think he can just revive himself because Lifestream or something like that).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
and Sephiroth should probably be dead (Though, I think he can just revive himself because Lifestream or something like that).
He's the literal definition of being free real estate inside your head, the memory of him alone seems to bring his ***** ass to life. It isn't the lifestream, it's just manipulating Cloud's perception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom