• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
D

Deleted member

It hit me that, by the end of this Fighters Pass, Smash will have almost 90 characters, which is insane. (Mythra's number 80, there are two more after her, and there are seven echo fighters, which brings it to 89)

If they wanted to get it to 90 by including an echo fighter in one of the challenger packs as an added bonus, who would you want it to be?
Troll Choice: Gardevoir with a Gothitelle Echo

Wanted Choice: Dr. Robotnik with a Metal Sonic Echo

Choice I think Would Have the Highest Probability If It Were To Happen: Crash Bandicoot with a Coco Bandicoot Echo

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
It hit me that, by the end of this Fighters Pass, Smash will have almost 90 characters, which is insane. (Mythra's number 80, there are two more after her, and there are seven echo fighters, which brings it to 89)

If they wanted to get it to 90 by including an echo fighter in one of the challenger packs as an added bonus, who would you want it to be?
I think that throwing in Octoling with any challenger pack would be the way to go. Popular character, easy echo, and good Splatoon 3 promotion.

In my dreams we would get Isaac with a Felix echo, or Toad with a Toadette echo. Or if Sakurai was really after my heart, we could get Scorpion with a Sub-Zero "echo." (I use the term echo very loosely here. Sub-Zero should ideally have quite a few differences from Scorpion, but the echo label is really vague anyways so I guess they could still call him an echo if they wanted to.)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
OOOHHH, I forgot that series started on 3DS...
Yeah, the main series games are genuinely fun hack-and-slashes with great stories and extremely well-thought-out characters. Once you really get into it, the sexy factor more or less takes a backseat to everything that goes on. Can't really say the same for the spinoffs, though (and based on what I've seen, I don't really want to). Considering Marvelous hasn't yet received a rep in Smash yet, I'm holding on to hope for one from this series, but I'm keeping my expectations in check about the whole thing for obvious reasons.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Been playing Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection all day. It's pretty good so far.

I'm playing on the 2nd lowest difficulty(cause lowest difficulty makes you invincible...), and it's STILL freaking hard. But at least there aren't lives anymore. So I never have to start a whole level over.

It sucks that there's no SNES Double Jump though...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
We're still pretty certain that Fighter Pass #2 is the last one, correct? I know it was the general consensus, but I don't think there was ever an official confirmation.

I'm so burnt out on speculation that I wouldn't be surprised if an official confirmation happened and I just never heard about it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It looks like Sakurai is trying to fix the series with less content with this pass, soo Eggman might be coming after all which makes me really happy, I love evil geniuses so I’m hoping for the best
That's not a guarantee.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
We're still pretty certain that Fighter Pass #2 is the last one, correct? I know it was the general consensus, but I don't think there was ever an official confirmation.

I'm so burnt out on speculation that I wouldn't be surprised if an official confirmation happened and I just never heard about it.
As far as I know, Sakurai said that there were no plans for anything beyond FP2 when Byleth came out. That being said, people are likely cannibalizing one another over whether or not it's a concrete confirmation that there's nothing else coming after. Might just be me, though.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Miles Edgeworth as an Echo for my boi Phoenix.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Idk, if switch pro is really happening then they really should consider taking the best route for them, making even more fighters, maybe 2 or 3

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
He should reskin Duom so that it's one half Wily Machine, one half Death Egg Robot...
This post reminds me that crossover stages could be really interesting. People didn't like it on PSASBR, yes, but that's only because there were no "standalone stages" to begin with - they were pretty much all like that.

Basically, getting a F-Zero x Mario Kart version of Rainbow Road or a Zelda x Fire Emblem stage ("Hyrule Castle Siege"?) would be amazing.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Does this mean no Gravity Rush in Smash? I mean, this sucks either way, but I would've preferred one of these games over Generic Realistic Character #4853.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
This post reminds me that crossover stages could be really interesting. People didn't like it on PSASBR, yes, but that's only because there were no "standalone stages" to begin with - they were pretty much all like that.

Basically, getting a F-Zero x Mario Kart version of Rainbow Road or a Zelda x Fire Emblem stage ("Hyrule Castle Siege"?) would be amazing.
I'd love to see like, some stages that Substitute a Proper Story Mode in some ways, like Mashup Stages, but they take elements from those series instead of "ONE SERIES CROSSING OVER WITH THE OTHER LOOK AT ALL THE REFERENCES AND NOTHING ELSE!"
Like, imagine Mushroom City, Mute City, Inkopolis, and Station Square mixed into one and being where most of the characters live.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Does this mean no Gravity Rush in Smash? I mean, this sucks either way, but I would've preferred one of these games over Generic Realistic Character #4853.
Wow first the Level-5 thing and now this. As a massive Dark Cloud fan, this hurts since both worked on it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I mean... was it even possible? Lol. Getting a Sony character is not literally impossible... but it's almost there. And if we were to get a Sony rep it wouldn't be Kat, that's for sure.

Also the article says it's because the low benefits the studio has been bringing in the past years, and that the Astrobot team will remain intact.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Yeah, the main series games are genuinely fun hack-and-slashes with great stories and extremely well-thought-out characters. Once you really get into it, the sexy factor more or less takes a backseat to everything that goes on. Can't really say the same for the spinoffs, though (and based on what I've seen, I don't really want to). Considering Marvelous hasn't yet received a rep in Smash yet, I'm holding on to hope for one from this series, but I'm keeping my expectations in check about the whole thing for obvious reasons.
This is probably a massive hot take, but I think a Senran Kagura rep would be fine after Bayo and Pyra/Mythra. The sexy factor in the mainline Senran Kagura games is having their clothes starting to rip in battle, and you could do a Senran Kagura character without that happening in battle.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Damn, that's a shame. I hope that new studio formed by some of the employees has a good future.

Reminds me of that one weird dream I had some time ago.

I'd love to see like, some stages that Substitute a Proper Story Mode in some ways, like Mashup Stages, but they take elements from those series instead of "ONE SERIES CROSSING OVER WITH THE OTHER LOOK AT ALL THE REFERENCES AND NOTHING ELSE!"
Like, imagine Mushroom City, Mute City, Inkopolis, and Station Square mixed into one and being where most of the characters live.
Deepsea Metro x Mementos and Mute City x Highway Stage when?

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

Presumably, they'd have to make sense (it would be pretty random to include Octoling in a Sol Badguy/Guilty Gear challenger pack, for example), so I'd think that they'd either be characters from the same series (ex. Eggman with Metal Sonic as a Sonic echo fighter - Tails could work as an echo fighter or a unique fighter, but if Rex and Pyra is any indication, they seem to be sticklers when it comes to Mii costumes) or the echo fighter would be a clone of the fighter that's included with different stats/hitboxes (ex. Crash Bandicoot, with Coco Bandicoot as an echo fighter - she wouldn't really work well as an alternate costume).

I'd be fine with either of the examples that I listed (Eggman with Metal Sonic or Tails as a Sonic echo; Crash with Coco as an echo of Crash) - I'd probably prefer Tails over Metal Sonic, but I feel like Metal Sonic would be more likely to happen.
Eggman with a Metal Sonic Echo would honestly be "Best Timeline" territory for me. Two new Sonic reps, both great villains whose team-up package would actually make sense, and it doesn't try to reduce Shadow to an Echo role? Yes please.

D

Deleted member

I'm back to thinking Monster Hunter is the current frontrunner. I was down on them for a while after that Byleth conspiracy came out but even if that's true I don't think it matters. If we were getting the MH costumes they would've made sense to come with Byleth since they share the same niche but here we are.

If we are getting an Echo pass (which I doubt) I just hope they announce all the characters from the get-go. It'd be the worst to wait a month just to be told who the next clone is, especially since they wouldn't get a proper trailer to get hype for.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

Presumably, they'd have to make sense (it would be pretty random to include Octoling in a Sol Badguy/Guilty Gear challenger pack, for example), so I'd think that they'd either be characters from the same series (ex. Eggman with Metal Sonic as a Sonic echo fighter - Tails could work as an echo fighter or a unique fighter, but if Rex and Pyra is any indication, they seem to be sticklers when it comes to Mii costumes) or the echo fighter would be a clone of the fighter that's included with different stats/hitboxes (ex. Crash Bandicoot, with Coco Bandicoot as an echo fighter - she wouldn't really work well as an alternate costume).

I'd be fine with either of the examples that I listed (Eggman with Metal Sonic or Tails as a Sonic echo; Crash with Coco as an echo of Crash) - I'd probably prefer Tails over Metal Sonic, but I feel like Metal Sonic would be more likely to happen.
Ouendan team finishes the pack with the blue team from 2 as echoes (/s)

for serious, i'd love it if they snuck Proto Man in there as Mega Man echo, or alternatively brought Phoenix in with Apollo or Edgeworth as his echo

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

ZelDan

Smash Master
Wasn’t Gen 8 announced around this time in 2019? It was definitely in a Pokémon-exclusive presentation.
This is a couple pages old now, but figured I'd bring up we technically first learned about a mainline Pokemon Switch game during E3 2017. We didn't know it was "Sword/Shield" then but we were definitely hinted it atleast

SKX31

Smash Master
Now is a good time to share a tribute I drew like a year ago.
? / 10 too much water and not enough Bayonetta. :4pacman:

RIP Knack.

(Likely) Gone, but the gold-plated Toblerone will never be forgotten.

Seriously though, hope it's not the end of the IPs in question at least, nor the end for the employees in question.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Damn, that's a shame. I hope that new studio formed by some of the employees has a good future.

Reminds me of that one weird dream I had some time ago.

Deepsea Metro x Mementos and Mute City x Highway Stage when?
Deep Sea Mementos as a sorta Underground for some of the more hated characters. Big Blue Highway Area. Maybe a fusion of the Wooded Kingdom, Lost Woods, Green Greens, and some of the Forests in Fodlan. Underwater Ocean City as a fusion between the Seaside Kingdom, Water Temple, Marine Moon, and the Minecraft Underwater City Builds. I can go on about how this is the best way to handle Smash Lore, but I won’t so I’ll just leave it here for now.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
RIP Knack.

(Likely) Gone, but the gold-plated Toblerone will never be forgotten.

Seriously though, hope it's not the end of the IPs in question at least, nor the end for the employees in question.
Well, the article says that a majority of the employees were terminated, but a few went to a new independent studio (founded by Gravity Rush director).

So it's likely a bunch of these IPs are gone for the foreseeable future, until Sony finds another studio to give them to, like what happened with DKC and Retro Studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom