• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Does this mean no Gravity Rush in Smash? I mean, this sucks either way, but I would've preferred one of these games over Generic Realistic Character #4853.
Extremely sad, but not surprising. Sony of America is calling the shots now and they don't view Japan as an exceptional market in any way. I mean, they switched the X and O buttons' functions in Japan to match the West for the PS5, an entrenched cultural staple that made the Playstation far more intuitive to Japanese audiences was just thrown out because it was too much work for too little payoff. If they can't even do that, there really is no reason they would fund in-house Japanese game development.

Hell, even their standards for what is and not acceptable in a video game are seemingly affected by this. They won't even let Demon Slayer show a character losing an arm or have anime games show off their... assets for breaking their policies on violent and sexual content respectively, but The Last of Us 2 can have a character club another to death in graphic detail and the most sterile sex scene since The Room. The West is given much more wiggle room because they're the more important market for the near future.

It's frustrating, but there's not much that can be done.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The last Sony systems I owned were the PS2 and PSP, and the last Sony first party game I played was probably Shadow of the Colossus, so I can't really say any of this stuff really impacts me that much.

Still sucks to see what's going on though, and can understand why it'd be more frustrating/concerning for the bigger Sony fans out there.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know

The idea of MonHun being a character whose entire kit changes depending on what Alt they use, due to it changing their weapon type, is not something I ever considered before.

Like say, alt 1 is Greatsword
Alt 2 is the big lance
Alt 3 is...etc etc etc

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ya know

The idea of MonHun being a character whose entire kit changes depending on what Alt they use, due to it changing their weapon type, is not something I ever considered before.

Alt 2 is the big lance
Alt 3 is...etc etc etc
At that point you might as well just have a dedicated Monster Hunter fighting game. Granted, it's not like that's a bad thing, unless you're an employee who needs to complete all eight movesets in the time it usually takes for one.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Ya know

Alt 2 is the big lance
Alt 3 is...etc etc etc
now that you bring this up, I'm now imagining a situation where some alts are much better than others, or perhaps TOO good.

"Sorry, but Monster Hunter has to be 3/8ths banned in tournaments."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Does this mean no Gravity Rush in Smash? I mean, this sucks either way, but I would've preferred one of these games over Generic Realistic Character #4853.
RIP to most of my favourite Sony studio, the one that focused on making video-game-ass video games.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Something real funny came up about that Pokémon Day presentation.
Post Malone did a Hootie & the Blowfish cover to promote the event. (ICYMI, he and Katy Perry were both revealed as doing concerts and stuff to celebrate and promote the event.) Other than just being funny there are two notable things about this! First, this cover actually samples the Ecruteak City theme from the classic Pokémon Gold/Silver. And the song itself, "Only Wanna Be with You" is actually from the mid 90s, at the very height of early Pokémania.

My theory is that for the 25th anniversary, we'll be getting a bunch of covers of 90s classics that are from the same time as the Gen I Pokémon craze, which all sample the classic Pokémon chiptunes like this one does. And that would be sick!

Shroob

Sup?
At that point you might as well just have a dedicated Monster Hunter fighting game. Granted, it's not like that's a bad thing, unless you're an employee who needs to complete all eight movesets in the time it usually takes for one.
Would make sense though.

How do you make people stop ******** that Byleth should have been MonHun, or that MonHun doesn't need to be in due to Byleth? Just give them different movesets based on weapons.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Would make sense though.

How do you make people stop ******** that Byleth should have been MonHun, or that MonHun doesn't need to be in due to Byleth? Just give them different movesets based on weapons.
Or they could just have a different moveset from Byleth...
period.

It doesn't take much.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ya know

Alt 2 is the big lance
Alt 3 is...etc etc etc
This would be really cool and creative, but I don't know how it would practically work when multiple people want to play Monster Hunter. It sucks when someone takes your colour, but at least that doesn't affect gameplay in any objective way. Someone takes your costume as Monster Hunter though? Tough ****, talk them into changing costumes or wait until the next round.

Or alternatively, you can make them change their character by playing Smash Bros. in real life, but you're definitely not going to be playing as Monster Hunter then unless you have some medieval weaponry lying around.

D

Deleted member

I'm very ignorant when it comes to PlayStation but what's the appeal? I don't know why you wouldn't just get a gaming PC since it doubles as a computer too. Xbox at least has Game Pass now. Is it just that it's less costly and requires less thought than a good rig?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
CABFA2BB-EDB8-4688-A49A-83322C5C66BE.jpeg

I whipped this up recently. A potential Fighter Pass 3 with a focus on representing new genres.

Ring Fit & Officer Howard are the obligatory “current gen Nintendo reps”, but they’re also from two genres that only have one character each (:ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:).

You also get two big reps (Jill/Chief) & two smaller Japanese reps. I think this would be a pretty good scenario, but I made it so I’m biased lol

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm very ignorant when it comes to PlayStation but what's the appeal? I don't know why you wouldn't just get a gaming PC since it doubles as a computer too. Xbox at least has Game Pass now. Is it just that it's less costly and requires less thought than a good rig?
The appeal I see with PlayStation is its exclusives like God of War, Spider-Man and Persona 5 Royal.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's some exclusives on there to win people over, too, like Persona 5 and Spider-Man. Granted, it seems like there's gonna less exclusives to go around now that they're closing down the Japanese studio.

Aside from that, some people don't want to or know how to put together a good PC setup, or maybe they can't/don't want to play. PC games can have the ultra-hyper 4K specs, but consoles are easier to set up, more compact (Or at least, they used to before last year), and it seems like they're cheaper. Admittedly, I'm not that knowledgeable regarding PCs or PlayStation, either; I'm mainly just getting smaller titles off of Steam for my laptop that I can't get on the Switch.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No point in defending a clown thats bad at his job.
The CCO who led Sega outta near bankruptcy is bad at his job? Sounds like you just have a vendetta against this guy. I admit he’s got the ass hole personality that gets on my nerves too but that’s not enough to say he hates Nintendo or was bad at his job.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Chigyu's win
Okay, that's pretty low. But out of curiousity, how'd he botch the Sakura Wars revival besides making it PS4-only?

ZelDan

Smash Master

Reasons I can think of that got people into Sony in the past?

Unlike Nintendo (before Switch atleast), Sony actually got third parties
Unlike Microsoft, Sony actually had a decent number of first party franchises it worked with, and didn't just stick with 1 or 2 IPs.

And some Sony fans are probably more into consoles and had no interest investing in PC gaming, so that's a moot point.

As to what makes people get into Sony NOW?...I dunno.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The PlayStation used to have a diverse pool of series and characters that people liked like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, Parappa, etc. during the PlayStation 2 era which was on par with Nintendo's offerings.

If you're talking about now, that exclusivity is slowly dwindling so I guess most people buy it to have a console to run their favourite third party games like GTA 5, RDR2, etc. I hear the PS5 runs games slightly better than the Xbox series X.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The CCO who led Sega outta near bankruptcy is bad at his job? Sounds like you just have a vendetta against this guy. I admit he’s got the ass hole personality that gets on my nerves too but that’s not enough to say he hates Nintendo or was bad at his job.
Isao Okawa saved SEGA from near bankruptcy.
Good man.

CCO look over games visual look, branding association, marketing, designs, gameplay, and what console the titles will be on. The fact he was demoted says a lot.

Okay, that's pretty low. But out of curiousity, how'd he botch the Sakura Wars revival besides making it PS4-only?
Lot of old fans dislike the new take on the series which as a result took a effect on all the multi media attempts.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Good man.

CCO look over games visual look, branding association, marketing, designs, gameplay, and what console the titles will be on. The fact he was demoted says a lot.

Lot of old fans dislike the new take on the series which as a result will effect all the multi media attempts.
Okay, you seem pretty knowledgable on Sega, so answer me this: does this guy getting demoted have any impact on the possibility of Billy Hatcher making a return?

I will take LITERALLY ANYTHING as long as Sega acknowledges he exists.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Nagoshi getting demoted rules.

Botching Sakura Wars revival, insulting puyo puyo players live, defending Yakuza garbage meme localization's.
Absolute ****ing clown. I dont want hear anything coming out of his mouth unless its Daytona or A new Space Harrier.
Yeah, now let's hope Namco does the same for Harada before he kills tales of.

(seriously tales in the west i popular on Nintendo consoles, so his great decision is make it a ps5/ps5 game in Japan that look's like he just go his hands on Unreal engine 4, nobody will buy it in japan because it's on dead platforms there, and it's a huge audience mismatch in the west, there are dumb decisions being made there)

also i don't think anybody mentioned the fact that sony payed for his dinner everyday for 200 day's, and he didn't even want to develop the Olympic games for SEGA because it had Mario in it. a lot of the higher up's at Sega apparently wanted to demote him for a while.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Okay, you seem pretty knowledgable on Sega, so answer me this: does this guy getting demoted have any impact on the possibility of Billy Hatcher making a return?

I will take LITERALLY ANYTHING as long as Sega acknowledges he exists.
No. Its on the lower end of requested revivals from sega too.

Without spoiling anything, can you be a bit more specific?
Anime did bad
Merchandise not selling well.
Mobile game is up in the air at the moment, at launch it got massive insults by fans from the series and even trended on twitter. It looks like it doing okay at the moment though?

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Would make sense though.

It's not so much your idea is bad so much as it is unrealistic. Monster Hunter has like a dozen different weapon options. If each alt gets a different weapon, that's like making 8 separate characters. The only thing MH has in common with Byleth is using different weapons - the moves could easily have different properties and give a different gameplay feel. MonHun also has stuff like traps and pets that can be incorporated into their moveset to differentiate them further without having to do something so difficult.

View attachment 305107

I whipped this up recently. A potential Fighter Pass 3 with a focus on representing new genres.

Ring Fit & Officer Howard are the obligatory “current gen Nintendo reps”, but they’re also from two genres that only have one character each (:ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:).

You also get two big reps (Jill/Chief) & two smaller Japanese reps. I think this would be a pretty good scenario, but I made it so I’m biased lol
Love the list, though Junko seems kind of out of place. Spoilers aside, I don't see Danganropa getting in before other bigger VN series such as Ace Attorney or Fate. If the one rep per company thing is a real thing, then that means Square also gets a new character for FP3, and considering how many spirit events we're getting from them recently that sounds pretty likely as well.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Anime did bad
Merchandise not selling well.
Mobile game is up in the air at the moment, at launch it got massive insults by fans from the series and even trended on twitter. It looks like it doing okay at the moment though?
Whoa, seriously?

In that case, with that dude demoted, hopefully the series (and any others at SEGA) can be out in the hands of someone who's less of a (how should I put this?) cheapskate than him.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Good man.

Okawa died in 2001. The near bankruptcy I was talking about was in the 2010’s where Sega Sammy was doing awful and Yakuza topping charts for years is what got them back on their feet and the purchase of Atlus to go through. Nagoshi’s oversight during the last 5 years where we’ve gotten multiple flourishing projects from long dead franchises says a lot as well. You’re changing history because you don’t like the guy. You can dislike him all you want for being an asshole but you’re making stuff up to make him seem non important to when that’s really not the case.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Well, at least I'm used to disappointment...

More serious question, though, how DOES this impact Sega as a whole?
sega west and atlus are the only resons sega sammy is still afloat,

for reference old school sakura wars was like fire emblem so the decision to not put it on switch was stupid, i don't think there'll be much revivals' sega just shaked off a hard year so for now they'll play it safe but in the long run him being demoted is good for Sega's future.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It's not so much your idea is bad so much as it is unrealistic. Monster Hunter has like a dozen different weapon options. If each alt gets a different weapon, that's like making 8 separate characters. The only thing MH has in common with Byleth is using different weapons - the moves could easily have different properties and give a different gameplay feel. MonHun also has stuff like traps and pets that can be incorporated into their moveset to differentiate them further without having to do something so difficult.

Love the list, though Junko seems kind of out of place. Spoilers aside, I don't see Danganropa getting in before other bigger VN series such as Ace Attorney or Fate. If the one rep per company thing is a real thing, then that means Square also gets a new character for FP3, and considering how many spirit events we're getting from them recently that sounds pretty likely as well.
Yeah, realistically I think Square would get another character. As for Danganronpa, I didn’t want to double dip with Capcom. & I thought about Saber, but didn’t include her because of the sexual content of the original game & I think Sony has some ownership over the Fate franchise.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Okawa died in 2001. The near bankruptcy I was talking about was in the 2010’s where Sega Sammy was doing awful and Yakuza topping charts for years is what got them back on their feet and the purchase of Atlus to go through. Nagoshi’s oversight during the last 5 years where we’ve gotten multiple flourishing projects from long dead franchises says a lot as well. You’re changing history because you don’t like the guy. You can dislike him all you want for being an asshole but you’re making stuff up to make him seem non important to when that’s really not the case.
you're forgetting total war, puyo puyo, phantasy star online, hatsune miku projects and football manager.

those all probably make more money than the yakuza games.

even sega fan's sometime forget sega west exist's, sega is on the back of it's western divisions not nagoshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom