• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Nagoshi getting demoted rules.

Botching Sakura Wars revival, insulting puyo puyo players live, defending Yakuza garbage meme localization's.
Absolute ****ing clown. I dont want hear anything coming out of his mouth unless its Daytona or A new Space Harrier.
Wait, what happened regarding Yakuza localizations? I thought the ones we've been recently were pretty highly regarded.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Reasons I can think of that got people into Sony in the past?

Unlike Nintendo (before Switch atleast), Sony actually got third parties
Unlike Microsoft, Sony actually had a decent number of first party franchises it worked with, and didn't just stick with 1 or 2 IPs.

And some Sony fans are probably more into consoles and had no interest investing in PC gaming, so that's a moot point.

As to what makes people get into Sony NOW?...I dunno.
Playstation has been the best place to play third party games for a long time now. Maybe that's more debatable now, but if you had a Playstation you basically had access to all third party games (except some strategy games that usually are more aimed towards PC players and things like that).

And for the most time Playstation consoles have been platforms that allowed devs to develop games in a more easy and accessible way. That might seem random, but having a console with a good architecture makes easier to get more developers to publish their games on your console.

Plus all the reasons you have stated.
It must be also clarified that console market is big, big. A lot of people plays on consoles, even if they could get a good PC to play third party games with better graphics. But good PCs aren't as accessible. And even if they're, a lot of people just prefers playing on console. I have a good PC and yet I usually play most of third party games on my PS4 lol. And while you can get a good computer at a decent prize if you know where to look, buying a console is just more simple for a lot of people.

Also, personal opinion: Switch has more third parties than Nintendo had before, but still... if you're interested in big third party franchises, you'll miss the great majority of them if you only own a Nintendo console. It is what it is. I think almost everyone primarily buys Nintendo consoles to play their franchises. That's my case at least. I'd never pick up a third party game on the Switch if said game is available on PS4 or PC because I don't care that much about being able to play games on portable mode, though I know that's a big deal for some people.
I only play third party games on Switch if they're indie games or ports.

Obviously if someone's not interested in playing GTA, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed and others, then having a Switch as your only console is completely doable, but if you're a fan of a lot of third party series, then I don't think Nintendo consoles are the best way to play those games, if I'm being honest.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wait, what happened regarding Yakuza localizations? I thought the ones we've been recently were pretty highly regarded.
Little worm Nagoshi defended the meme localization and considers it the "cause of success for Yakuza" (it wasnt)

The translator behind these got fired and they changed it in the PC release so it makes his gaslighting claim even funnier now.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Okay, found the trailer for First Soldier finally.

You know, had it not been iOS/Android only, I might have given it a try. I did enjoy some of the ideas shown in it, but this looks like a game I want to be playing on a gaming system/PC and not on an iOS/Android.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
Playstation has been the best place to play third party games for a long time now. Maybe that's more debatable now, but if you had a Playstation you basically had access to all third party games (except some strategy games that usually are more aimed towards PC players and things like that).

And for the most time Playstation consoles have been platforms that allowed devs to develop games in a more easy and accessible way. That might seem random, but having a console with a good architecture makes easier to get more developers to publish their games on your console.

Plus all the reasons you have stated.
It must be also clarified that console market is big, big. A lot of people plays on consoles, even if they could get a good PC to play third party games with better graphics. But good PCs aren't as accessible. And even if they're, a lot of people just prefers playing on console. I have a good PC and yet I usually play most of third party games on my PS4 lol. And while you can get a good computer at a decent prize if you know where to look, buying a console is just more simple for a lot of people.

Also, personal opinion: Switch has more third parties than Nintendo had before, but still... if you're interested in big third party franchises, you'll miss the great majority of them if you only own a Nintendo console. It is what it is. I think almost everyone primarily buys Nintendo consoles to play their franchises. That's my case at least. I'd never pick up a third party game on the Switch if said game is available on PS4 or PC because I don't care that much about being able to play games on portable mode, though I know that's a big deal for some people.
I only play third party games on Switch if they're indie games or ports.

Obviously if someone's not interested in playing GTA, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed and others, then having a Switch as your only console is completely doable, but if you're a fan of a lot of third party series, then I don't think Nintendo consoles are the best way to play those games, if I'm being honest.
but nintendo consoles have been getting resident evil games for a while now, even straight up exclusives too. and while we dont get GTA or assassin's creed we still get 2K and ubisoft stuff as well. but personally playstation's veering towards sad dad cinematic shooters and dumping the fun stuff like twisted metal by the wayside has driven me away from them so i dont feel like im missing anything of worth at this point.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Little worm Nagoshi defended the meme localization and considers it the "cause of success for Yakuza" (it wasnt)

The translator behind these got fired and they changed it in the PC release so it makes his gaslighting claim even funnier now.
That's a bit of an overreaction don't you think?

It's 2 lines you've cherry picked from a couple Several Dozen hour games. And It absolutely did not ruin the games at all.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

It's 2 lines you've cherry picked from a couple Several Dozen hour games. And It absolutely did not ruin the games at all.
Welcome to Gamers and Weebs. Where they pick a couple lines from a game or anime to use for reasoning on why the JP translation of the game is superior to the English version.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
In context, what he's saying definitely makes more sense than the implied correlation between "memes = good localization"

1614301141097.png

And in effect, I can understand that literal translation loses the undertones and context of words.

Not to defend the forced memes, I hate them too, and I'm more than glad they removed them, but saying "a better localization than the ones we had previously are the reasons our Yakuza games became more popular in the West" means he endorses memed up dialogue is a bit of a jump.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
My only concern with this whole ordeal is basically Nintendo getting a monopoly(Which, it basically already has let's be real), and getting complacent.

Competition breeds ingenuity. Complacency breeds carelessness.
Isn't that basically what's happening with Sony? Their games are so successful in the West, they've stopped caring for Japan.

Shroob

Sup?
Isn't that basically what's happening with Sony? Their games are so successful in the West, they've stopped caring for Japan.
No?

Sony still has to compete with Microsoft and Nintendo here in the West.

If Sony really is pulling out of Japan, Nintendo more or less is the only big one of the three there, because Microsoft still is a fraction compared to the other 2 in Japan.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
welp :/

Rip everything from Japan that isn't astrobot.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Dante is still a possible candidate? For me, personally, he's still on the run. Remember that poll where Kamiya asked the fans which of his characters they would like in smash three years ago?

Also, a Devil May Cry spirit event hasn't happened yet, which is a good sign. However, merchand-wise speaking, i think a Monster Hunter rep would make a lot more sense for Nintendo to add as Capcom playable fighter.

What's your opinion on this?

dante.jpg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Rest in peace, Gravity Rush. You deserved SO much better...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Doesnt refute the fact that its embarrassing. All I want is a good accurate translation. Are you also gonna pull out the "UMMMM YAKUZA ISNT A SERIOUS FRANCHISE?? LOOK AT THIS PICTURE OF THE CHICKEN IN YAKUZA 0 LOL" bull**** too?

Gonna tell me how pure and UwU Majima is despite beating up his pregnant wife too?

Welcome to Gamers and Weebs. Where they pick a couple lines from a game or anime to use for reasoning on why the JP translation of the game is superior to the English version.
Really pulling out Gamer™ card just because I criticized a line of dialogue. Dont worry let me just uh ....learn the entire Japanese language to get precise translation now.

In context, what he's saying definitely makes more sense than the implied correlation between "memes = good localization"

View attachment 305115

And in effect, I can understand that literal translation loses the undertones and context of words.

Not to defend the forced memes, I hate them too, and I'm more than glad they removed them, but saying "a better localization than the ones we had previously are the reasons our Yakuza games became more popular in the West" means he endorses memed up dialogue is a bit of a jump.
Nah he's definitely putting down the original translators and praising the new meme team as THE reason the games are liked in the west despite him not even knowing english cause he wants the anglos who think yakuza is le funny criminal game to buy his game.

Nagoshi is not the same guy who made daytona and monkey ball anymore, its time to let the old yeller go.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So basically, only one team remained behind and their old IPs will be controlled by the western HQ now?

...Wonder just how much effort they'll put into caring for those series.

And now for something completely different: I'd like to ask the resident Touhou fans about Reimu's spell cards. Can you switch between weapons in Touhou games? How do the bombs work?

I've tried researching, but informative wiki articles on gameplay mechanics seem a bit hard to come by for some reason. The most I found was that she has one tracking projectile and one a la Fox lasers.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
so those silent hill rumours are dead now right? just like all of sony's Japanese ip's :(

Locoroco was good, so was almost everything they made except knack they aren't even bankrupt or anything, Playstations killing the studio cause "why the hell not?"

this is the worst timeline, I don't want a ps5 anymore. now everything i have interest in release on Nintendo systems. i still think FF7r is likely, especially after seeing their new mobile game which seems to be making assets the switch can use.

Edit: honestly it hit's me harder than sea going out of consoles, we effectively lose the soul of playstation studios, everything else they have is cookie cutter stuff now, it's like if Nintendo only made smash bros, pokemon, mario, zelda and animal crossing.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
so those silent hill rum ours are dead now right? just like all of sony's Japanese ip's :(

Locoroco was good, so was almost everything they made except knack they aren't even bankrupt or anything, Playstations killing the studio cause "why the hell not?"

this is the worst timeline, I don't want a ps5 anymore. now everything i have interest in release on Nintendo systems. i still think FF7r is likely, especially after seeing their new mobile game which seems to be making assets the switch can use..
I'm starting to think Nintendo having a monopoly in Japan might not be a bad thing...

That in and of itself is probably a bad thing too.

Shroob

Sup?
So basically, only one team remained behind and their old IPs will be controlled by the western HQ now?

And now for something completely different: I'd like to ask the resident Touhou fans about Reimu's spell cards. Can you switch between weapons in Touhou games? How do the bombs work?

I've tried researching, but informative wiki articles on gameplay mechanics seem a bit hard to come by for some reason. The most I found was that she has one tracking projectile and one a la Fox lasers.
Spells depend on what kinda game tbh.

It's been a few years since I've played Touhou, but usually, spell cards are used by bosses to differentiate phases of their attack, so example, you knock off 25% of the boss' hp, they move onto their next spell card(phase), and their attack pattern changes.

IIRC, playable characters in Touhou have 2 different "shot" types, akin to how most Gradius-like games play, which is exactly how Bombs work, they're screen clearing nukes that get rid of all the on screen bullets, while also doing damage to enemies.

In the Fighting Games, Spell Cards are basically your super moves.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Flaming
Doesnt refute the fact that its embarrassing. All I want is a good accurate translation. Are you also gonna pull out the "UMMMM YAKUZA ISNT A SERIOUS FRANCHISE?? LOOK AT THIS PICTURE OF THE CHICKEN IN YAKUZA 0 LOL" bull**** too?

Gonna tell me how pure and UwU Majima is despite beating up his pregnant wife too?

Really pulling out Gamer™ card just because I criticized a line of dialogue. Dont worry let me just uh ....learn the entire Japanese language to get precise translation now.

Nah he's definitely putting down the original translators and praising the new meme team as THE reason the games are liked in the west despite him not even knowing english cause he wants the anglos who think yakuza is le funny criminal game to buy his game.

Nagoshi is not the same guy who made daytona and monkey ball anymore, its time to let the old yeller go.
This is just "***** Eating Crackers"
Go whine to someone who cares

SNEKeater

Smash Master
but nintendo consoles have been getting resident evil games for a while now, even straight up exclusives too. and while we dont get GTA or assassin's creed we still get 2K and ubisoft stuff as well. but personally playstation's veering towards sad dad cinematic shooters and dumping the fun stuff like twisted metal by the wayside has driven me away from them so i dont feel like im missing anything of worth at this point.
I meant NEW Resident Evil games. Same applies to Final Fantasy or other japanese series such as Devil May Cry, Nier, Street Fighter, etc. I thought that was obvious but I guess it needed clarification.

Also, reducing things to "sad dad cinematic shooters" is just stupid (and wrong), dude. If those games aren't appealing to you, that's okay and valid, but no need in making reductive and wrong appreciations of other games, because others might not be well informed and believe you. Just say you don't like them.

Saying that is as wrong as saying "Nintendo only has dumb plataformer games for kids without actual challenge", which unfortunately is also a thing some people really believes.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I meant NEW Resident Evil games. Same applies to Final Fantasy or other japanese series such as Devil May Cry, Nier, Street Fighter, etc.

Also, reducing things to "sad dad cinematic shooters" is just stupid (and wrong), dude. If those games aren't appealing to you, that's okay and valid, but no need in making reductive and wrong appreciations of other games, because others might not be well informed and believe you. Just say you don't like them.

Saying that is as wrong as saying "Nintendo only has dumb plataformer games for kids without actual challenge", which unfortunately is also a thing some people really believes.
but the switch is getting a new resident evil game witch is likely exclusive in Q1 2022 codenamed RE Outrage?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Not sure if you're referring to the standard shots or the bombs so I'm just gonna go over both.

The usual projectiles are considered your standard weapons. Reimu usually has two main shots; The Hakurei Amulet, which are homing talismans, and the Persuasion Needles, which have more focused damage in exchange for a narrower range. Sometimes the Youkai Buster gets thrown in, which are wide, straight-ahead talismans. Sometimes you decide which one to stick with before a run, other times you can switch between them mid-game by Focusing (Re: Slower speed, narrower shot range, visible hitbox, overall easier dodging). In the fighting games, these usually end up as her specials.

Spell Cards have specific rules in Touhou canon; The user's offensive and defensive capabilities are buffed greatly, and allows them to cast powerful spells (Though anything that can be used as a weapon works, really; Even potatoes can be used in a Spell Card). However, you are limited to only be able to cast the specified spell, limiting their usefulness.
Gameplay-wise, they justify the complex, named patterns that bosses bust out when their health bar reaches a certain point. Bombs are the player's equivalent to Spell Cards, effectively being screen nukes that deal massive damage, destroy all projectiles, and make you invincible. The fighting games pretty much make these into Super Moves. Sometimes bombs are switched alongside the projectiles, be it through selection or Focusing, while other times you're stuck with just the one. I at least know you can select Spell Cards in the air fighters.

The wiki actually has some pretty detailed subpages dedicated to the gameplay mechanics, though they don't always go as in-depth regarding the specific shots and what they do. Here's an example.
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil/Gameplay - Touhou Wiki - Characters, games, locations, and more

Ivander

Smash Legend
I wasn't necessarily criticising you. But what I said is still a common thing. When you have people experienced with the JP subs of something watch the English version of that something, there will be those very loud ones about how the JP translation is better than the English version because of whatever. This doesn't just apply to memes, this can also apply to how a character sounds in the English version compared to the JP version. I know because I tended to do this quite a bit, especially when it came to the screams and emotion at the tragic moments and stuff.

The thing is though is that translating straight from the source is not necessarily the thing to always do. Sometimes because what is translated may make less sense in one culture compared to another. Sometimes because the original dialogue was also not good. And sometimes maybe to try to make some original dialogue. I do understand that sometimes, dialogue should not be changed especially in regards to context, but localisation shouldn't try to avoid doing original stuff too.

If localization could not be original once in a while, we would not have the English version of Kid Icarus Uprising. We would not have The Kefka we know and like. We Would Not Have "Let's Mosey."

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
but the switch is getting a new resident evil game witch is likely exclusive in Q1 2022 codenamed RE Outrage?
That's going to be timed exclusive. But yeah I forgot about that one.

Anyway I think my point is still very valid. Switch is also getting MH: Rise and there's some exceptions, that's obvious, but I don't think I'm wrong in saying "Nintendo consoles aren't the best option if you wanna play the latest third party releases".

Shroob

Sup?
That's going to be timed exclusive. But yeah I forgot about that one.

Anyway I think my point is still very valid. Switch is also getting MH: Rise and there's some exceptions, that's obvious, but I don't think I'm wrong in saying "Nintendo consoles aren't the best option if you wanna play the latest third party releases".
But Rise is also timed exclusive.

:4pacman:

I have nothing else to add just wanted to say that.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Capcom ya tiene o tiene juegos de switch en proceso para la mayoría de sus ip

Persona se convierte probablemente en multiplataforma.
Disculpame pero esto es un sitio en Ingles, tendras que hablar ingles si quieres hacer posts aqui.

damn no smash bros in that state of play wtf
No Crash reveal my bois.

-Sad Woah noises-

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I wasn't necessarily criticising you. But what I said is still a common thing. When you have people experienced with the JP subs of something watch the English version of that something, there will be those very loud ones about how the JP translation is better than the English version because of whatever. This doesn't just apply to memes, this can also apply to how a character sounds in the English version compared to the JP version. I know because I tended to do this quite a bit, especially when it came to the screams and emotion at the tragic moments and stuff.

The thing is though is that translating straight from the source is not necessarily the thing to always do. Sometimes because what is translated may make less sense in one culture compared to another. Sometimes because the original dialogue was also not good. And sometimes maybe to try to make some original dialogue. I do understand that sometimes, dialogue should not be changed especially in regards to context, but localisation shouldn't try to avoid doing original stuff too.

If localization could not be original once in a while, we would not have the English version of Kid Icarus Uprising. We would not have The Kefka we know and like. We Would Not Have "Let's Mosey."
As someone who works alongside translators--all of this. Translating JP to English 1:1 comes out ridiculously stupid and awkward. Localization exists for a reason. When the memes are laid on thick though, it can get pretty cringey and that should be avoided.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you guys think Dante is still a possible candidate? For me, personally, he's still on the run. Remember that poll where Kamiya asked the fans which of his characters they would like in smash three years ago?

Also, a Devil May Cry spirit event hasn't happened yet, which is a good sign. However, merchand-wise speaking, i think a Monster Hunter rep would make a lot more sense for Nintendo to add as Capcom playable fighter.

View attachment 305118
I feel pretty much the same way - Dante would be an amazing addition, and I feel like his chances are pretty good in terms of Capcom characters, but it seems more likely from a financial standpoint (between the success of Monster Hunter World, the upcoming Switch exclusive title, the franchise being big enough to get a movie) that Capcom (or Nintendo) would go with Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

View attachment 305118
Individually, his chances are good, great even.
Put against his Capcom colleagues he has an uphill battle.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

if you cant play yakuza without embracing the other 50% of the entire games where you do silly **** on the side, i dont think yakuza is the series for you

go play daganropa or hotel dusk on the ds something

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
just stop please, the switch isn't going to fall off a peak, it will become the best selling console there. and worldwide too probably. the switch still has 4-5 years to go before the switch 2 comes out,

Right now it's already ahead of 2020 in sales and it still has stock issues. Japan is a Nintendo market now and no one will be able to break it.

this year xbox has sold 2000 unit's TOTAL in this year so far. ps5 100k and switch 1mil

i'll look, i found it on one of the media creates sales thread i just can't remember which one.
I never said it was going to overtake the Switch, I’m just saying that whenever Nintendo has an extremely successful console, that they tend to make a massive screw up in the next. There’s a more powerful niche over there for the taking considering how little Sony cares about the Japanese Market, and I’m saying that niche not being fillable by Nintendo or Sony is an opportunity Microsoft is likely to exploit. So, how did you get Microsoft overthrowing Nintendo from me saying there’s a niche that Microsoft knows isn’t being filled again?

Shroob

Sup?
If it were up to me in regards to Capcom picks, my choices would be between Dante, Phoenix, and Chun Li.

But if I'm listening to the business part of my brain, the obvious answer is Monster Hunter.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
with only two slots left we only have one chance for a demi-fiend x dante double reveal :(

what better way to end the crossover of the decade with the crossover of the century
Crossover of the century for you I suppose. :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom