• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I feel pretty much the same way - Dante would be an amazing addition, and I feel like his chances are pretty good in terms of Capcom characters, but it seems more likely from a financial standpoint (between the success of Monster Hunter World, the upcoming Switch exclusive title, the franchise being bit enough to get a movie) that Capcom (or Nintendo) would go with Monster Hunter.
Resident Evil also makes sense from a financial standpoint, but uh...CERO might be a bigger obstacle (I guess hence why it was Spirited).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you guys think Dante is still a possible candidate? For me, personally, he's still on the run. Remember that poll where Kamiya asked the fans which of his characters they would like in smash three years ago?

Also, a Devil May Cry spirit event hasn't happened yet, which is a good sign. However, merchand-wise speaking, i think a Monster Hunter rep would make a lot more sense for Nintendo to add as Capcom playable fighter.

What's your opinion on this?

View attachment 305118
I think Dante still has a good chance. The only issue is that Smash is very unpredictable and there are a ton of viable potential characters so I wouldn’t put my money on any particular character getting in. Dante would be really cool even if he isn’t one of my most wanted but he would be worth it just for Devil Trigger.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I never said it was going to overtake the Switch, I’m just saying that whenever Nintendo has an extremely successful console, that they tend to make a massive screw up in the next. There’s a more powerful niche over there for the taking considering how little Sony cares about the Japanese Market, and I’m saying that niche not being fillable by Nintendo or Sony is an opportunity Microsoft is likely to exploit. So, how did you get Microsoft overthrowing Nintendo from me saying there’s a niche that Microsoft knows isn’t being filled again?
that's not it, i just don't think Xbox will ever find a place in the market, are they going for n FPS niche? that's already covered by PC.

NIntendo won't make the same mistake again now that some of the people pushing for more change are gone, Furakawa going by raw number's has been the best president Nintendo has ever had, i doubt he would do anything other than switch 2 under him Nintendo has had it's best stock, sales, DlC and third party relations. he won't be the president to mess up a console launch, a lot of that was the marketing as well, however those people are likely gone, the president in between iwata and furukawa said that he believed the wii u would be a great failure for Nintendo, and he was right. he had a job in north american marketing for NIntendo and the switch launch under him had the best marketing nintendo has ever had, we aren't talking about a wii success here, we're talking about something more on the levels of the ps2.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
if you cant play yakuza without embracing the other 50% of the entire games where you do silly **** on the side, i dont think yakuza is the series for you

go play daganropa or hotel dusk on the ds something
I didnt want half this franchise become that.
Old Yakuza was mostly down to earth with some occasional over the top moments for impact, now it's non stop wackiness. The series is loosing its identity, compare the tone of to Yakuza 1 & 2 to Majima doing wacky Devil May Cry attacks, summoning lobsters etc in 7. Its become ridiculous.

Its like how people absorbed into mind that Shenmue is boring game were you wait or a worse Yakuza when its not. Shenmue is a personal journey where you're observing a big world that changed everyday. You observe characters as time goes on, at different times of day, learning more about them & the world.

Nagoshi clearly doesnt understand his franchise anymore and im glad he's been demoted from messing with other franchises like Sakura Wars.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do you guys think Dante is still a possible candidate? For me, personally, he's still on the run. Remember that poll where Kamiya asked the fans which of his characters they would like in smash three years ago?

Also, a Devil May Cry spirit event hasn't happened yet, which is a good sign. However, merchand-wise speaking, i think a Monster Hunter rep would make a lot more sense for Nintendo to add as Capcom playable fighter.

View attachment 305118
In all honestly, I'm suspecting one of the last two characters could be a Capcom rep given the trend of returning Sm4sh Miis so far.

Joker = Tails and Knuckles given Altus is owned by Sega
Terry Bogard = Akira being both he and Terry are from fighting games
Min Min = Heihachi, same reason as Terry with Akira
Steve = Gil given the blue diamond swords
Sephiroth = Geno due to both being Square
Pyra & Mythra = Likely Lloyd being Xenoblade is somewhat tied to Xenosaga given KOS-MOS being a hidden blade who in turn in Namco, Tales' company

Though Banjo, and Byleth had returning Sm4sh Miis they didn't seem to have any connections or dots to them, Hero didn't come with any returning ones. But otherwise this could give us an idea who one of the last two could at least be being possilibity a Capcom character with the Monster Hunter Miis.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Thinking about it, I'm not sure if the Xenoblade->Xenosaga->Bandai-Namco->Tales chain is strong enough to warrant Lloyd's Mii coming back alongside KOS-MOS. It's just a really thin connection; Xenoblade has close ties to Xenosaga, but not necessarily Bandai-Namco themselves. By that logic, we could also say Lloyd could've come back alongside Heihachi or Gil. I'm leaning towards KOS-MOS as our sole Bamco Mii this wave.

On an unrelated note, the Yakuza discussion came at exactly the right time. I've been on a Yakuza music fix, and what's more, there's a question on my mind. I know that Yakuza's hit it big in the West lately, but would you say it's big enough for an E3 reveal? Or is it not quite at that level just yet?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Could also be a stretch but there's also Pyra & Mythra being duo blades for Rex and Lloyd having dual swords.

Ok I'll stop now. :teeth:

Shroob

Sup?
Thinking about it, I'm not sure if the Xenoblade->Xenosaga->Bandai-Namco->Tales chain is strong enough to warrant Lloyd's Mii coming back alongside KOS-MOS. It's just a really thin connection; Xenoblade has close ties to Xenosaga, but not necessarily Bandai-Namco themselves. By that logic, we could also say Lloyd could've come back alongside Heihachi or Gil. I'm leaning towards KOS-MOS as our sole Bamco Mii this wave.

On an unrelated note, the Yakuza discussion came at exactly the right time. I've been on a Yakuza music fix, and what's more, there's a question on my mind. I know that Yakuza's hit it big in the West lately, but would you say it's big enough for an E3 reveal? Or is it not quite at that level just yet?
Didn't KOS-MOS only get into XB2 due to a special request to Bamco?

Doesn't seem as shakey as you let on. The other characters in the pass have no real connection to Bamco, but P/M do.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Could also be a stretch but there's also Pyra & Mythra being duo blades for Rex and Lloyd having dual swords.

Ok I'll stop now. :teeth:
Well, that is true...

But you know who else uses dual swords?
https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/mh_db.png

Exactly :4pacman:
Didn't KOS-MOS only get into XB2 due to a special request to Bamco?

Doesn't seem as shakey as you let on. The other characters in the pass have no real connection to Bamco, but P/M do.
Wait, Bamco requested KOS-MOS' appearance? I assumed it was the other way around, what with how much MonoSoft loves harkening back to Xenosaga. This is news to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, that is true...

But you know who else uses dual swords?
https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/mh_db.png

Exactly :4pacman:

Wait, Bamco requested KOS-MOS' appearance? I assumed it was the other way around, what with how much MonoSoft loves harkening back to Xenosaga. This is news to me.
No, "TO Bamco, not FROM Bamco", lol.

Pillow

Smash Lord

Any 3rd party character with a chance of coming is big enough for an E3 reveal.

Also, yeah, the connection between Xenoblade and Bamco is a flimsy one at best. But if Lloyd or another Bamco character isn't coming, I'd say revealing his costume alongside Pyra/Mythra is a good a time as any.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didnt want half this franchise become that.
Old Yakuza was mostly down to earth with some occasional over the top moments for impact, now it's non stop wackiness. The series is loosing its identity, compare the tone of to Yakuza 1 & 2 to Majima doing wacky Devil May Cry attacks, summoning lobsters etc in 7. Its become ridiculous.

Its like how people absorbed into mind that Shenmue is boring game were you wait or a worse Yakuza when its not. Shenmue is a personal journey where you're observing a big world that changed everyday. You observe characters as time goes on, at different times of day, learning more about them & the world.

Nagoshi clearly doesnt understand his franchise anymore and im glad he's been demoted from messing with other franchises like Sakura Wars.
Like it or not, Yakuza is what it is. The wacky **** was already there, maybe in less quantities, but still. Sometimes franchises don't achieve an identity until few games later, which could be Yakuza's case. It was the case for Devil May Cry though. DMC1 has wacky ****, but the personality people associates the series with started with 3 and carried over with next games.

Like, Yakuza 2 has Kiryu beating up two tigers with his two bare hands. That's not down to earth. Same with people surviving or fighting like "nothing" with bullets in their bodies (see: Yakuza 2 ending).

Even with that, the main stories in Yakuza games are usually serious, the random stuff comes with the side quests most of the time. I'd even agree with you if the wacky stuff was a big part of the main plot, but that's not the case.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No, "TO Bamco, not FROM Bamco", lol.
Aw %$#@, misread that. That makes more sense.

Still, that only seems like it's just for KOS-MOS (And later T-ELOS). It's a connection, at least, but it's not really that strong. It's not like they had a part in designing the game or anything, it's just that they got the rights to use characters from the spiritual predecessor. The main link is Xenosaga, and I feel that's not too much more of a connection than just "Action-RPG characters."

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
inb4 during Pyra & Mythra presentation Sakurai announces we'll get a Smash Concert in the future and this "leak" gains attraction

I'm 99% sure Pyra and Mythra won't have their swimsuit alts. Like, I can't imagine it happening at all.

And if they have swimsuit alts, I'd say they would redesign the swimsuits.
It would be even more wild if we get the concert announced and then the next character is like, Doom Guy or something.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So I'm curious for those who don't know Pyra and Mythra, which one do you like better basing solely off their trailer?

Shroob

Sup?
Since someone brought it up right now.

In the off chance that the concert leak is true(I'm pretty on board with it being fake)

Would that not 100% shut down the idea of a Pass 3 or future DLC? If it were real?

The logic behind this supposed "Leak" implies that every character would get a song, almost as if in tribute to them, so it would be weird for this concert to not include Pass 3 characters, especially considering it's slated for sometime in 2022, which, I dunno about you but it seems pretty damn obvious that FP2 will be over fairly soon, with only 2 characters left, and June fast approaching.

The logic behind this leak more or less says "Pass 2 is it", because I don't see a world where Sakurai goes "Okay, we're going to have a song for EVERY character, but these guys in Pass 3? **** em, they came too late lul."

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So I'm curious for those who don't know Pyra and Mythra, which one do you like better basing solely off their trailer?
Pyra. She looks like a heavy-hitter, and I like those, so I'll be using her more often.

Unless you're talking genuine-character-wise, in which case, I like them both equally.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

View attachment 305118
Out of all the Capcom characters, Dante, Monster Hunter and Phoenix are the big candidates. I could see anyone of them making it in. Dante does have a good shot because of his legacy and mainstream appeal. There is also other evidence going for him like the director saying that DMC needs to be on Switch first for Dante to be considered then suddenly DMC gets ported to the Switch months later which is a bit sus.

I will say that Dante is a bit overrated. Mostly because his explosion in popularity mostly came after the pass was decided. I'm confident in him, but I think some people are overblowing his chances and some of his merits like legacy also applies to MH and Phoenix too, plus he doesn't have nearly the same Nintendo history as those two.

But if Dante gets in, I would be stoked. This guy is the definition of cool and he would be worth it just for the music alone.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
To be honest I would love another fighters pass it would make sense money wise to keep it up but Mario kart 8 deluxe never even got dlc so I think FP2 is it (but I was thinking that during FP1) so if we get a concert at the end and that truly means the end of this game I’m cool with it. I have gotten my most wanted characters in this game it’s just amazing anything I got after banjo was icing on the cake

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Like it or not, Yakuza is what it is. The wacky ** was already there, maybe in less quantities, but still. Sometimes franchises don't achieve an identity until few games later, which could be Yakuza's case. It was the case for Devil May Cry though. DMC1 has wacky **, but the personality people associates the series with started with 3 and carried over with next games.

Like, Yakuza 2 has Kiryu beating up two tigers with his two bare hands. That's not down to earth. Same with people surviving or fighting like "nothing" with bullets in their bodies (see: Yakuza 2 ending).

Even with that, the main stories in Yakuza games are usually serious, the random stuff comes with the side quests most of the time. I'd even agree with you if the wacky stuff was a big part of the main plot, but that's not the case.
Yakuza had a identity from the start. Its a mafia beat em up RPG where the world revolves around you. You literally solve problems in Yakuza games with fist and motivation speech.

The issue with that is that recent games have turned that aspect into a comedy. Cause everything has to be a joke.
Is it bad to have to have wacky segments? No, of course not. But it does become tiring when the whole franchise has been associated with that wackiness and only that. Add the lame meme's and overdone jokes about a chicken and men in diapers and you start to loose me.

Even Kiryu has inherently become comedic. Dude literally goes, "NOTHING WILL WASH AWAY THE STENCH OF BLOOD DRIPPING FROM MY SOUL, I AM A MONSTER TO THE CORE..." and hes like less flawed than a puppy.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Resident Evil also makes sense from a financial standpoint, but uh...CERO might be a bigger obstacle (I guess hence why it was Spirited).
I don't think it would be too much of an issue, considering we got the Spirit Event in the First Place
Fun Fact: Resident Evil is released in two editions in Japan, D Rated and Z Rated.
1614314528579.png

Essentially a D Rating is Rated 17+, so the equivalent of our M rating, whereas Z is rated 18+, the equivalent of our AO Rating (though the Z Rated versions of Resident Evil are what we get over here)

And for those wondering about other typically M Rated series in Smash, Persona 5 is Rated C and both Bayonetta and the Metal Gear Solid series are Rated D like standard BioHazard games in Japan. All Super Smash Bros. games have been rated A for All Ages, aside from Smash 64 and Melee, both of which were before the Ratings System existed.

1614315081721.png

Ivander

Smash Legend
Clearly Sakurai uploading a video of his cat must be a hint.

Which means KATT FROM BoF2 IS OUT CAPCOM REP BAYBEE!

But Katt is already in Smash Bros. though.
Lyndis.png Poo_clay.png

:troll:

Region difference joke. In the West, her name is Katt. In Japan, her name is....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom