• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
It's actually funny looking at how

Expected

Monster Hunter is by people who react to reveals.

Going back to Sephiroth's trailer, Monster Hunter almost seemed like the unanimous "First guess" for a lot of people like Rogersbase, Arlo(I think), and even Max_d00d.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
If Capcom got a new representative, I would’ve expected it to be:
  1. A new Street Fighter representative.
  2. A new Mega Man representative.
  3. A representative from one of Capcom’s games that isn’t in Smash (Red Earth, Darkstalkers, and Final Fight to name a few).
Sooooo.... any capcom character? or just anything but RE and MH if we're going by other stuff as well?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Expected

Going back to Sephiroth's trailer, Monster Hunter almost seemed like the unanimous "First guess" for a lot of people like Rogersbase, Arlo(I think), and even Max_d00d.
Man, I don't really blame people for going to Monster Hunter first when they feel like a shoe-in, but anybody who expected that sword slash to be Monster Hunter has not seen enough content involving that "slash" effect. Sure, Monster Hunter has a Longsword and even has a sorta Slash move, but that move is still slow on start-up.

Basically, what I'm saying is, when you see that "slash" effect, it is almost always somebody who:
A - Has a katana
B - Somebody who has practically mastered iaido and has a reputation of striking at the .0001 second left mark.

So when I saw that slash effect, I knew it was somebody who had the above two qualified and considering it was frickin' Galeem they slashed through, somebody terrifyingly powerful.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Man, I don't really blame people for going to Monster Hunter first when they feel like a shoe-in, but anybody who expected that sword slash to be Monster Hunter has not seen enough content involving that "slash" effect. Sure, Monster Hunter has a Longsword and even has a sorta Slash move, but that move is still slow on start-up.

Basically, what I'm saying is, when you see that "slash" effect, it is almost always somebody who:
A - Has a katana
B - Somebody who has practically mastered iaido and has a reputation of striking at the .0001 seconds left mark.

So when I saw that slash effect, I knew it was somebody who had the above two qualified and considering it was frickin' Galeem they slashed through, somebody terrifyingly powerful.
I think it was more due to the rocky background you saw when you saw Hero and Shulk getting yeeted, not the slash.

Hell, when I saw "NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE" during the first screen of the Splatoon 3 trailer, which was that rocky cliff, even I instinctually said "MONSTER HUNTER TOO?!"

A lot of people, myself included, seem to associate Monster Hunter with "Barren wasteland".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it was more due to the rocky background you saw when you saw Hero and Shulk getting yeeted, not the slash.

Hell, when I saw "NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE" during the first screen of the Splatoon 3 trailer, which was that rocky cliff, even I instinctually said "MONSTER HUNTER TOO?!"

A lot of people, myself included, seem to associate Monster Hunter with "Barren wasteland".
Meanwhile me and Idon went "Oh **** finally, SMTV". Funny how the direct had 2 things that looked like SMTV

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Expected

Sora was by far and away the most name dropped character at the very beginning of Sephiroth's trailer. I don't think it's even close, tbh.

Popularity aside, I think most of the cries around Monster Hunter was trying to extrapolate from the rocky terrain, while meanwhile people just... wanted Sora.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I....guess I could see it with the Splatoon 3 trailer. Not so much with the Sephiroth trailer. I think the reason is because I associate Monster Hunter with their "stage" in Smash Bros, being Ancestral Steppe. But there is a major difference between the cliff in the Sephiroth trailer and Ancestral Steppe. And that is lighting.
-In Ancestral Steppe, it does have rocky mountains, but the sky is vividly blue, giving it the impression of vivid-color mountains with a beautiful blue sky.
-In the Sephiroth trailer, the colors around the area are a very gold-ish color, with a dark-ish pink-like sky, reminiscent of a sunset. The mountains also look dark-ish as a result as well, due to shading.

So if there is anything that would point Monster Hunter to me in a Smash trailer, it'd be a vivid blue sky with a very colorful and/or lush landscape, rather than a dark sunset-like landscape like the Galeem mountain area. But hey, it's Smash Bros, so I wouldn't really know how Monster Hunter would be revealed compared to Sakurai.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sora was by far and away the most name dropped character at the very beginning of Sephiroth's trailer. I don't think it's even close, tbh.

Popularity aside, I think most of the cries around Monster Hunter was trying to extrapolate from the rocky terrain, while meanwhile people just... wanted Sora.
Can't say I've seen that many reactions namedrop Sora tbh.

It's almost always Monster Hunter, Dante, or jokingly Trunks when the slash happens. :4pacman:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If Capcom got a new representative, I would’ve expected it to be:
  1. A new Street Fighter representative.
  2. A new Mega Man representative.
  3. A representative from one of Capcom’s games that isn’t in Smash (Red Earth, Darkstalkers, and Final Fight to name a few).
Red Earth's a DEEP CUT. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't like Kenji. Dude is sick!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
so on his video covering the concert leak papagenos mentioned the 16 WOL dummy slots which thanks to pyra and mythra are now feasibly filling up. what do we make of those?
They mean nothing, Tougon went over it in very good detail why:

Yo so no clue how much people are still paying attention to the supposed voice theory and/or placeholder slots, but they don't seem to mean much of anything. I started poking around in the WoL param files to see if it was possible to add fights for the DLC characters, and in the process, I've discovered a few things about placeholder data.
  • Voice Theory has absolutely no legs to stand on outside of a perfect square which is ultimately meaningless. The parameter file for the sound test (ui_voice_db.prc) has no placeholder entries in it. The entries for DLC characters are simply added to the end of the album list. The final two entries in the list are Sephiroth and Advent Cloud.

• Within the World of Light movement params (used for map movement), there exist 10 unoccupied entries. These entries start from dummy_07 and go to dummy_16. There are a few irregularities with the dummy slots. The first dummy string is dummy_02, and counting backwards from dummy_07 puts dummy_02 at Terry, leaving four slots (Plant, Joker, Hero, and Banjo) unaccounted for. The Cutting Room Floor has a bit more information that helps explain this discrepancy. I unfortunately only have the current patch to work from:

A whopping 30 placeholder character slots existed in the files of the character selection screen at launch before being removed in the v2.0.0 update. There are also a slightly smaller 16 placeholder character slots in the files for the World of Light and in the attack_log_parameter.prc file, Piranha Plant and Joker from Persona 5 replaced the two placeholder slots from the World of Light and the attack_log_parameter.prc file, the Hero from Dragon Quest XI and Banjo and Kazooie did not replace of any of the placeholder slots in the World of Light, two more placeholder slots were removed in v6.0.0, Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses did not take any of the placeholder slots in v7.0.0, and one slot was replaced by Min Min in v8.0.0 and Steve replaced another slot in v9.0.0, it is unknown if this applies to the rest of the DLC fighters or not.

The important bits here are Plant, Joker, Min Min, and Steve replaced slots, while Hero, Banjo, and Byleth did not. If this article is accurate, then there is one dummy string (dummy_01) unaccounted for, and slots can be arbitrarily removed or added at any time.

tl;dr version, any theory that involves unused entries in game data is faulty, especially if the data never existed in the first place (voice theory)

Kyphlosion16

Smash Rookie
so on his video covering the concert leak papagenos mentioned the 16 WOL dummy slots which thanks to pyra and mythra are now feasibly filling up. what do we make of those?
I didn’t know why Papa counted Pyra/Mythra as two slots? Hero, Steve/Alex both only took one slot..wouldn’t there still be 4 slots left?

Polan

Smash Lord
I didn’t know why Papa counted Pyra/Mythra as two slots? Hero, Steve/Alex both only took one slot..wouldn’t there still be 4 slots left?
they are considered their own characters on the website and will probably be considered their own characters internally
They mean nothing, Tougon went over it in very good detail why:
damn slaughtered this one fairly quickly.

although the WOL dummy slots not mattering means a third fighter pass is absolutely happening because this ride will never end

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can't say I've seen that many reactions namedrop Sora tbh.

It's almost always Monster Hunter, Dante, or jokingly Trunks when the slash happens. :4pacman:
I mean, I don't have any reason to spin it, I'm pretty neutral on Sora. I just fell down a Sephiroth reaction wormhole at some point after the reveal and remember that Sora was by far the most namedropped character. After him I'd like to say it was Monster Hunter, but there were a hell of a lot of people mentioning Jonesy/some Fortnite character. Not enthusiastically mind you, and on the back of Steve. Though I guess MH was partly on the back of Rise.

If you only watched the reactions from the usual suspects you may not have dove as deep as I did.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You Know, On Papagenos

I didn't watch the Concert leak video yet, but I don't think that Leak is real. I do wonder why the video is 40 minutes, but I have seen that he has pushed crash alot, so perhaps alot of the discussion is based of that.

Personally though What I'm more interested in regarding Papagenos is how he feels about that "Evidence" that was 100% Legit, from someone that was 100% Credible, that pointed toward certain characters. He never went over it because it could get the source in trouble or something, but I got to wonder if he discarded that or he still has feelings about it deep inside?

Shroob

Sup?
I do find it ironic that the leak picked two of the currently "Safe" picks.

Maybe Crash isn't a super safe choice

But assuming that the Mii wave skips Monster Hunter, I feel like literally everyone is going to be looking in their direction as one of the final 2 fighters(Even though we have 2 Mii waves left)

Kinda why I'd be more than okay with the Mii costumes showing up in the presentation. It'd shake things up substantially in regards to speculation.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't think we as a fanbase have learned much of anything from most leaks.

Grinch is probably the one major exception, but even that's up in the air since we haven't seen anything like it since, and likely won't again until the next installment of SSB is released, whenever that may be.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
When it comes to Mii costumes next week, I’ll find it suspicious if we don’t see Ring Fit &/or Officer Howard. It’d make sense to give them Mii costumes alongside a fellow Switch character. But I’d say they’re the Nintendo front runners for any post FP2 DLC, so if they don’t get Miied, I’m gonna be all 🤔

Pillow

Smash Lord
When it comes to Mii costumes next week, I’ll find it suspicious if we don’t see Ring Fit &/or Officer Howard. It’d make sense to give them Mii costumes alongside a fellow Switch character. But I’d say they’re the Nintendo front runners for any post FP2 DLC, so if they don’t get Miied, I’m gonna be all 🤔
They got post launch spirit events which most people think deconfirm

Concert leak proves we learned very little from all those leaks that guessed Sephiroth but were ultimately and obviously not real.
Most people don’t truly believe in these leaks, but they’re something to talk about if nothing else.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

But assuming that the Mii wave skips Monster Hunter, I feel like literally everyone is going to be looking in their direction as one of the final 2 fighters(Even though we have 2 Mii waves left)

Kinda why I'd be more than okay with the Mii costumes showing up in the presentation. It'd shake things up substantially in regards to speculation.
I mean, you can get the same "shake-up" if we get a MH Rise spirit event at the end of March, except in this scenario the other Capcom candidates don't have to "die" for the sake of subverting expectations.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So remember that Pokemon poll from earlier? Well we just got the results and while there's no big changes, we did get Galar's results and guess who beat the bunny?

That's right, it's time for Dracovish to rend the competition!

To be honest, I'd feel in that scenario we should still be wary. There is the possibility of a Spirit Event for Rise as we just saw with Bravely Default 2, and there is also the possibility that they're holding it for another set entirely. It would look more viable if it survives the next set, but it's not completely safe either as there are still scenarios that can deal a harsh blow to it.

Edit: :ultgreninja: on the Spirit Event point.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Alright, took a while, here is the final result for the Pokemon Day 25th university favorite Pokemon Japanese Twitter voting campaign:

Out of 1,187,368 votes (568,167 tweets), here is the top 30,
Source: https://pokemonday.pokemon.co.jp/result/01/

1 Dedenne 68,396
2 Cincinno 54,444
3 Sableye 45,526
4 Snivy 41,894
5 Magnemite 35,206
6 Swadloon 34, 204
7 Pikachu 33,125
8 Buzzwole 33,077
9 Oshawott 32,191
10 Flygon 22,048
11 Whismur 21,529
12 Piplup 18,190
13 Chandelure 18,095
14 Empoleon 17,898
15 Luxray 17,773
16 Greninja 17,337
17 Jirachi 17,254
18 Charizard 16,243
19 Mimikyu 15,797
20 Inteleon 15,540
21 Eevee 15,524
22 Barbaracle 15,128
23 Glaceon 14,923
24 Spheal 14,783
25 Scolipede 13,806
26 Lilligant 13,677
27 Bulbasaur 13,424
28 Sliggoo 13,417
29 Lucario 13,286
30 Gardevoir 12,534

They also did a top 30 for each different regions/generations, so here is the results:

1 Magnemite 35,206
2 Pikachu 33,125
3 Charizard 16,243
4 Eevee 15,524
5 Bulbasaur 13,424
6 Magikarp 10,867
7 Venusaur 9,082
8 Vulpix 8,329
9 Wigglytuff 7,078
10 Arcanine 6,630
11 Flareon 4,357
12 Jigglypuff 4,033
13 Meowth 3,765
14 Raichu 3,507
15 Pinsir 3,503
16 Caterpie 3,105
17 Vaporeon 3,100
18 Gengar 2,687
19 Jolteon 2,466
20 Charmander 1,273
21 Slowpoke 1,262
22 Psyduck 1,245
23 Lapras 965
24 Zapdos 830
25 Squirtle 822
26 Snorlax 743
27 Ditto 742
28 Dragonite 716
29 Blastoise 669
30 Butterfree 617

1 Umbreon 12,066
2 Marill 3,738
3 Wobbuffet 3,459
4 Azumarill 3,366
5 Pichu 2,988
6 Espeon 2,962
7 Quagsire 2,409
8 Cyndaquil 2,102
9 Xatu 1,701
10 Steelix 1,461
11 Ampharos 1,435
12 Quilava 1,353
13 Chikorita 1,290
14 Wooper 1,186
15 Dunsparce 1,130
16 Scizor 1,037
17 Typhlosion 858
18 Lanturn 836
19 Lugia 772
20 Furret 697
21 Porygon2 623
22 Politoad 607
23 Tyranitar 561
24 Celebi 551
25 Crobat 521
26 Suicune 408
27 Sentret 389
28 Shuckle 389
29 Totodile 384
30 Misdreavus 304

1 Sableye 45,526
2 Flygon 22,048
3 Whismur 21,529
4 Jirachi 17,254
5 Spheal 14,783
6 Gardevoir 12,534
7 Latios 9,622
8 Latias 8,022
9 Milotic 6,873
10 Rayquaza 5,905
11 Regirock 4,363
12 Deoxys 3,340
13 Swampert 2,954
14 Azurill 2,662
15 Blaziken 2,125
16 Sceptile 1,817
17 Altaria 1,398
18 Mudkip 1,210
19 Torchic 1,168
20 Breloom 1,141
21 Absol 1,078
22 Cradily 1,039
23 Mawile 948
24 Banette 900
25 Chimecho 782
26 Metagross 614
27 Minun 546
28 Crawdaunt 545
29 Kygore 537
30 Marshtomp 527

Pretty fun poll to look and speculate on which Pokemon out of the top 30 should be in Smash. I am pretty tired right now to finish the rest of Gen 4-8 individual listing, and I only did for the people who don't have a strong PC/have a limited internet connection/people who don't want to click.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They got post launch spirit events which most people think deconfirm
At that point however, some event spirits might, just might, be old enough for them to be reconsidered. Granted I don't really think Nintendo would want Ring Fit Adventurer to be a DLC fighter, but still.
Alright, took a while, here is the final result for the Pokemon Day 25th university favorite Pokemon Japanese Twitter voting campaign:

Out of 1,187,368 votes (568,167 tweets), here is the top 30,
Source: https://pokemonday.pokemon.co.jp/result/01/

1 Dedenne 68,396
2 Cincinno 54,444
3 Sableye 45,526
4 Snivy 41,894
5 Magnemite 35,206
6 Swadloon 34, 204
7 Pikachu 33,125
8 Buzzwole 33,077
9 Oshawott 32,191
10 Flygon 22,048
11 Whismur 21,529
12 Piplup 18,190
13 Chandelure 18,095
14 Empoleon 17,898
15 Luxray 17,773
16 Greninja 17,337
17 Jirachi 17,254
18 Charizard 16,243
19 Mimikyu 15,797
20 Inteleon 15,540
21 Eevee 15,524
22 Barbaracle 15,128
23 Glaceon 14,923
24 Spheal 14,783
25 Scolipede 13,806
26 Lilligant 13,677
27 Bulbasaur 13,424
28 Sliggoo 13,417
29 Lucario 13,286
30 Gardevoir 12,534

They also did a top 30 for each different regions/generations, so here is the results:

1 Magnemite 35,206
2 Pikachu 33,125
3 Charizard 16,243
4 Eevee 15,524
5 Bulbasaur 13,424
6 Magikarp 10,867
7 Venusaur 9,082
8 Vulpix 8,329
9 Wigglytuff 7,078
10 Arcanine 6,630
11 Flareon 4,357
12 Jigglypuff 4,033
13 Meowth 3,765
14 Raichu 3,507
15 Pinsir 3,503
16 Caterpie 3,105
17 Vaporeon 3,100
18 Gengar 2,687
19 Jolteon 2,466
20 Charmander 1,273
21 Slowpoke 1,262
22 Psyduck 1,245
23 Lapras 965
24 Zapdos 830
25 Squirtle 822
26 Snorlax 743
27 Ditto 742
28 Dragonite 716
29 Blastoise 669
30 Butterfree 617

1 Umbreon 12,066
2 Marill 3,738
3 Wobbuffet 3,459
4 Azumarill 3,366
5 Pichu 2,988
6 Espeon 2,962
7 Quagsire 2,409
8 Cyndaquil 2,102
9 Xatu 1,701
10 Steelix 1,461
11 Ampharos 1,435
12 Quilava 1,353
13 Chikorita 1,290
14 Wooper 1,186
15 Dunsparce 1,130
16 Scizor 1,037
17 Typhlosion 858
18 Lanturn 836
19 Lugia 772
20 Furret 697
21 Porygon2 623
22 Politoad 607
23 Tyranitar 561
24 Celebi 551
25 Crobat 521
26 Suicune 408
27 Sentret 389
28 Shuckle 389
29 Totodile 384
30 Misdreavus 304

1 Sableye 45,526
2 Flygon 22,048
3 Whismur 21,529
4 Jirachi 17,254
5 Spheal 14,783
6 Gardevoir 12,534
7 Latios 9,622
8 Latias 8,022
9 Milotic 6,873
10 Rayquaza 5,905
11 Regirock 4,363
12 Deoxys 3,340
13 Swampert 2,954
14 Azurill 2,662
15 Blaziken 2,125
16 Sceptile 1,817
17 Altaria 1,398
18 Mudkip 1,210
19 Torchic 1,168
20 Breloom 1,141
21 Absol 1,078
22 Cradily 1,039
23 Mawile 948
24 Banette 900
25 Chimecho 782
26 Metagross 614
27 Minun 546
28 Crawdaunt 545
29 Kygore 537
30 Marshtomp 527

Pretty fun poll to look and speculate on which Pokemon out of the top 30 should be in Smash. I am pretty tired right now to finish the rest of Gen 4-8 individual listing, and I only did for the people who don't have a strong PC/have a limited internet connection/people who don't want to click.
dedenne...win.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, you can get the same "shake-up" if we get a MH Rise spirit event at the end of March, except in this scenario the other Capcom candidates don't have to "die" for the sake of subverting expectations.
You ever realize we get excited to see dreams die in the forms of mii costumes?

We're sick people I'll tell ya what :4pacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
dedenne...win.
****posting aside I wonder why those two rodents got so high. I know there were some popular pieces of Dedenne fan art like a recreation of the Pikachu slapfight from Mewtwo Strikes Back but with Dedenne, but what about Cinccino?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
****posting aside I wonder why those two rodents got so high. I know there were some popular pieces of Dedenne fan art like a recreation of the Pikachu slapfight from Mewtwo Strikes Back but with Dedenne, but what about Cinccino?
Dedenne has always been decently popular in Japan (at least during Gen 6), but it definitely wasn't high enough to take a Top spot like it is here. A part of me wants to say it could be due to a meme, a popular influence, or other such factor considering things like Magnemite's placing, but without knowing the community there it's just guesswork on my part.

Personally, I'm more interested in the results outside of the Top 10. I joked about it, but I didn't expect Cinderace to not make the Top 10 at all in Galar considering how hard the anime is pushing it, and Zacian not being present at all while Zamazenta placed is definitely weird considering how much the former outsells the latter in merchandise. It may be due to how people vote since this is a different polling format from the usual, but even so it's interesting to see how much things differ.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Playing devil's advocate for concert leak:
  • It says the tracks are being considered, not that 100% of them will be played.
  • Three hours is probably a rough estimate. I could see it being, say, three hours and twenty minutes. That would allow time for more songs.
  • I wonder if the lack of a Ken song in the list is intentional, since he's the "this-leak-is-legit 👍" guy. Perhaps the leaker just excluded Ken's song on the list for this reason.
  • Getting the order right of P&M coming after Sephiroth is a point in its favor.

I don't believe the leak, but I thought this could be some food for thought on it.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
So, the Second Fighters Pass is coming to a close and we have no news of any future DLC after this.
This got me thinking though, and I'd like to hear people's ideas:
Will there be any more DLC after Fighters Pass Two?

Realistically, I don't think so. But you never know!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom