• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
6 am tho us PST mates are suffering

.....but knowing me, I'll still stay up to watch it, I've never missed a presentation soo far

View attachment 304974
6am remains my arch-nemesis and I'm undecided if I can square zombifying or excessively caffeinating myself for the rest of the day with beating the sunrise to catch a character I already know about.

The sad part is it wouldn't even be a question were it a character reveal. I have no illusions about the submissive relationship I find myself in with Smash. xp

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If they drop after the presentation, I almost hope it's later that day because otherwise I'm going to have a hard time focusing on work lol /works from home

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can see that. They seem more willing to ki-AHEM, I MEAN expand the crossover aspect when it comes to Mii Costumes paired with first parties.
Yeah. Most of the 3rd parties have come with costumes from their own universes, at least the Japanese 3rd party characters, and this excludes returning costumes. The first party characters and Western 3rd party characters are where we get most of the really "out there" Mii Fighter costumes.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be honest, I do think at most we'd get 1 Xenoblade related costume, and even then we might not get one

Personally I might not expect 2B in this anymore, But I do expect Lloyd, Dante, and maybe Hollow Knight as well

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I'd Say 1 and 2 are about Equal, but I'd give 2 the slight edge because it has Torna the golden country, which is a fantastic expansion.

Although I have not completed Xenoblade DE yet that includes Future Connected so I am slightly behind. I have completed the 3DS version of Xenoblade though
Oh yeah Torna is amazing. I would say I like 2 more just by a bit even without Torna but definitely play Torna if you haven’t already. It’s the best game in the series if you count it as distinct from 2

As for when Pyra Mythra will get released, it seems as though they mostly wait for a bit after the presentation because they want to ingrain to the public that this character is in Smash for a while before they prepare for release. Having a wait between a direct announcement and the presentation mitigates that quite a bit since you wouldn’t be finding out about the character at the presentation. However, Sephy’s official release was about a week after his presentation despite being announced a week earlier, so I suspect we’ll see a similar situation to that since the time between announcement and presentation is only 2 week as opposed to months like the first four FP1 characters got

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To be honest, I do think at most we'd get 1 Xenoblade related costume, and even then we might not get one

Personally I might not expect 2B in this anymore, But I do expect Lloyd, Dante, and maybe Hollow Knight as well
So far 6/8 FP characters came with a Mii Fighter costume from their own series. Banjo & Kazooie and Byleth are so far the only exceptions.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that next Mii Costumes Wave will be focused on RPG genre. Just like the first 2 CPs from FP2 the order will be:

• Smash X Xenoblade 2 (Zeke? Morag?)
  • Smash X Old Smash 4 Costume (Lloyd?)
  • Smash X Assist Trophy base game
  • Smash X game not yet in Ultimate

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Which game is better according to you guys / girls / persons ?
Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the greatest games ever made, it's in my top five. 10/10

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an alright game, nothing special. 6/10

Xenoblade Chronicles X. 1/10

Smash news isn't worth getting less sleep.

Sleep is super important and I'm trying to make my sleeping schedule more regular.
Sleep is for the weak.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also to Diddy Kong Diddy Kong

XC1, XCX and XC2 are all fantastic games.

Thing is, all of them go for different things.

XC1 is a more serious fantasy story that delves into some thought provoking themes. XCX is a science fiction open world game that focuses on exploration and world building. XC2 is a more lighthearted character focused adventure that makes you want to feel the characters wins and losses.

That's why you get very different opinions on these games. What attracts one person to one game may push another person away.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I haven't played 2, but from what I've heard, XC1 is consistently pretty good, while XC2 has ups and downs that vary from "Awesome!" to "Eh..." I've seen the combat system in particular get a lot of praise, but the tutorials are considered really bad and you're better off just looking up a guide on YouTube or something. At the very least, I know that there's a shift in focus regarding the combat; XC2 dials down the movement in favor of long combo chains and reactions. At least, that's how I think it goes.
To be fair, I also hated the first game's tutorials. Some systems are revealed to you with like, a several-page long wall of text. The pacing of it is kinda weird in the beginning, too.

And yes, I've played a bunch of JRPGs, but I kinda struggle to think of a game where these walls of text were such a problem.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be fair, I also hated the first game's tutorials. Some systems are revealed to you with like, a several-page long wall of text. The pacing of it is kinda weird in the beginning, too.
It feels about as paced in the beginning as any other RPG I've played, your slope of plot hits a very deep cliff eventually. I assume you're talking about the speed of things in events past the Ether Mine, right?

Last edited:

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Are we done doing this? Oh well
:ultgreninja: : The first reveal where I was active in speculation. I freaked out. One of my favorite pokemon. I've include one in every team I've made since XY. Was my secondary in smash 4 until Mewtwo.
:ultmiifighters:: Such a great reveal and possibly the best. Wasn't excited for miis, but seeing Iwata vs. Reggie will forever be one of the highlights of smash speculation.
:ultpalutena:: I played Uprising, so a pretty good and fun reveal, wish they hadn't made her base sm4sh moveset so boring.
:ultpacman:: I was on a skype call when this was dropped. Not a surprising reveal, but sure was surprising how they revealed it. Great addition, but at the time, I was just glad the obvious one was out of the way.
:ultrobin:: I loved Awkening and Chrom was my most wanted in Smash 4, so this was both an insane high and the lowest of lows for me. For the 5 minutes I thought he was in the game I was thrilled, then it set in. I was pretty upset, but I gradually came around and agreed that Robin was the better choice. Such an amazing reveal though. Falcon, Robin, and Lucina all revealed at the same time was awesome. This was also the reveal that got me to finally make an account on smashboards.
:ultlucina:: Loved her character in awakening, but god, what an awful model. She looked so lifeless in Smash 4. It was a great reveal though. I was hyped until I saw her model.
:ultshulk:: I had been hunting down Xenoblade Chronicles on ebay for a few months leading up to his reveal, with little success of getting it at a reasonable price. I remember thinking the only character they would reveal in a Japan only direct would be Shulk, but I still woke up that morning fairly confident they wouldn't just reveal him to Japan, boy I was wrong. Still a great reveal though! Gave birth to a lot of smash memes. Only personal problem I had with his inclusion was that I was already pretty pretty burnt out of 'You Will Know Our Names' since learning about Xenoblade from the Gematsu leak. One of my most played and thrilled he's here today. Thanks operation Waterfall!
:ultbowserjr:: My second most wanted. It was dumb of me to hold on to hope after Rosalina had already been revealed but man, I just loved him and Sunshine too much. I was insanely happy after he was leaked with the rest of the ESRB cast. Would've been better as a surprise reveal, but whatever, Just glad he's here. One of my most used in both games. He also had a pretty good reveal trailer.
:ultduckhunt:: Wasn't excited at first, but man I changed my mind. These two three are awesome. Such a creative moveset.
:ultmewtwo:: So insanely hyped for this reveal. I liked him in Melee when I was a kid and dropped Greninja for him when he came out. The idea that Mewtwo was back AND we were getting DLC was just so dang exciting. The possibilities seemed endless back then.
:ultlucas:: Loved seeing him back, not as much as Mewtwo, but still great. It was awesome that Sakurai actually gave him some character development.
:ultroy:: Great to see him back, but at that point, who cared. He and Ryu had been leaked for months and seeing Roy had pretty much cemented the idea in my head that Chrom wasn't coming.
:ultryu::Neat that he was added, but I really didn't care whatsoever (except for the idea of getting Street fighter music). Stage and music were great.
:ultcloud:: I was homeschooled at this time and my dad wouldn't let me watch the direct live. After school I went to go watch the direct and literally a minute before the smash reveal, my dad walked in and said, "I know who the smash character is, it's Cloud". I can't fault him, he didn't know that I didn't know and he was just trying to be excited with me, but man. I was so upset that Cloud's reveal got spoiled. I remember being so confused. My first thought was that he was lying, but why the heck would he name drop Cloud of all people. But whatever, still such an amazing reveal. I had played FF4 and part of FF7 so I was hyped.
:ultcorrinf:: As someone who refreshed best buy over and over trying to preorder the special edition of Fates ( and eventually getting it), I was so disappointed by this reveal. Awful trailer, and awful way to end DLC. I love Corrin, they're a fun character, but damn, after so much talk of K.Rool, Isaac, and Ridley, it was so disappointing.
:ultbayonetta1:: Hated this reveal. I like her more now. I've even played Bayonetta, but man I was so upset the day she and Corrin were revealed.
:ultinkling:: SO HAPPY. I played so much of the original Splatoon so I was really happy to get a new Nintendo IP that I was familiar with.
:ultdaisy:: Meh, don't really care. Happy for people who wanted her. She's an echo so no foul. I used to find her much more annoying, but now I find her kind of endearing. Especially because of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM&ab_channel=PringusMcDingus
:ultridley:: I WAS SO HYPED FOR THIS OH MY GOD. I was in the Ridley thread every day during smash 4 and I had kind of sworn of smashboards when the new game was revealed so I was not ready for this. I legitimately screamed and was told to shut up by everyone around me. Third most played character this game. Still smile every time I see the CSS happy. Thanks Ridley Supporters!!!
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Meh. Famous characters but I really didn't care too much. I was excited for Stage and Music though.
:ultdarksamus:: Was really happy for this! I had played the Original Prime, Fusion, and Hunters so I never saw her in a game, but that didn't stop me from being happy.
:ultchrom:: OH MY GOD, I was so happy. I still can't believe he's here. Love him. I think he's perfect as a Roy/Ike echo. I always imagined him being similar to Smash 4 Roy, so I obviously didn't think he was ever going to join. Plus Awakening was long gone by that point. Man, still so happy.
:ultkrool:: So amazing to see someone you voted for show up. I love this guy, who doesn't. 10/10 reveal. I just wish he had his pirate costume...
:ultisabelle:: I played way too much New Leaf, but still wasn't super excited for this reveal. She's definitely grown on me a lot. I was way more hyped for New Horizons.
:ultken:: Really didn't care and still really don't, not a bad reveal though.
:ultincineroar:: How I wish you were Decidueye...
:ultpiranha:: Wasn't thrilled back then, but love him now!
:ultjoker:: My friend was pretty convinced of a possible reveal at the game awards so we watched it. Amazing reveal, there'll never be anything like it again. It was so surprising. Surprising character and surprising way to reveal him. Was really happy and hopeful for the future reveals!
:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:: I had played DQ: Monster Joker before this and still really didn't care for their reveal.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Meh, they were before my time so I had no attachment to them. I liked how they redid the K.Rool trailer, but besides that, pretty ambivalent towards them.
:ult_terry:: Meh, had no attachments to him.
:ultbyleth:: Cool character, awful reveal. I find it to be even worse than Corrin's reveal. I wasn't excited, but I wasn't upset. I like them way more these days
:ultminmin: I was so happy for this reveal. Min Min was my main and the only character I would ever play in Arms so I was thrilled. Great Music and great mechanic. I loved (and still love) the arm switching. Was by far my favorite ultimate dlc at this point. I was really looking forward to the rest of the pass.
:ultsteve:: Ugh, sorry Steve fans. I love Minecraft. I was even playing some today, but I really was not excited for this character. I liked the Halland/Dalarna remix though.
:ultsephiroth:: Oh boy, I freaked out. My favorite character since the Ridley reveal and my favorite trailer overall. This trailer went all out. So insanely good and exciting. I will never get over the Cloud vs Sephiroth clip. I wish I wasn't so tired right now so I could give justice to this reveal. Fourth favorite character in smash. Second pass >>>>>>> First pass.
:ultpyra:: Pretty good reveal! Not a great trailer, but sure fooled me so it was good in that aspect. Another Nintendo character is always welcome by me. Only problem with their reveal is that it makes me wish Zelda/Sheik was still a thing. I'm looking forward to another transforming character!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It feels about as paced in the beginning as any other RPG I've played, your slope of plot hits a very deep cliff eventually. I assume you're talking about the speed of things in events past the Ether Mine, right?
Kinda. And yeah, Ether Mine is kind of the first "spike" of that.

Some stuff, like Visions and Arts are pretty well explained, but for stuff like Gem Crafting and Auras, I found myself liking shorter and simpler online guides more than the game's actual tutorial. It can be pretty hit and miss.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

And yes, I've played a bunch of JRPGs, but I kinda struggle to think of a game where these walls of text were such a problem.
Yeah people always talks about how bad XC2 tutorials were but I don't remember tutorials in Xenoblade 1 being a lot better neither.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
XC1 is a more serious fantasy story that delves into some thought provoking themes. XC2 is a more lighthearted character focused adventure that makes you want to feel the characters wins and losses.
I thought the characters were much better developed in the first game actually. Everyone in 2 is just "insert trope here" and no one ever really goes beyond that.
Yeah people always talks about how bad XC2 tutorials were but I don't remember tutorials in Xenoblade 1 being a lot better neither.
Both have terrible tutorials, but I think the crux of the issue is that Xenoblade 2 has way more going on. In the first one you just have three party members to worry about, and you'll eventually get the hang of it despite the tutorials. In 2 you've got three party members, and each of them have three blades of their own and they also changed how some core fundamentals work, so good luck if you've got muscle memory from the first game's battles.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Or how atrocious they are in XCX...

XCX has awful tutorials.... they leave you confused and overwhelmed.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
6 am tho us PST mates are suffering

.....but knowing me, I'll still stay up to watch it, I've never missed a presentation soo far

View attachment 304974
Meanwhile, I'm gonna be stuck at work while it's going on and will have to screencapture the whole thing in OBS to avoid Mii Costume spoilers.

Because Nintendo couldn't possibly air things on the weekend.

88ror0gj1ic31.jpg

(I can't take the day off either, 'cause I'm still a new hire and haven't been there nearly long enough to start earning PTO.)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It is a bit odd that they're announcing the presentation an entire week in advance, isn't it?

Aren't these usually done like, the day before?

I don't think there's any great big conspiracy here, just it's odd for them to announce it this far ahead iirc.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Both have terrible tutorials, but I think the crux of the issue is that Xenoblade 2 has way more going on. In the first one you just have three party members to worry about, and you'll eventually get the hang of it despite the tutorials. In 2 you've got three party members, and each of them have three blades of their own and they also changed how some core fundamentals work, so good luck if you've got muscle memory from the first game's battles.
Fair point. Xenoblade 2 has more mechanics and things going on, that's true. I can see why it would be overwhelming for someone.

To be honest Xenoblade games are not the JRPG I'd suggest to anyone who isn't familiar with the genre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom