• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be fair, a lot of relatively mainstream games don't. General popularity doesn't necessarily equal a lot of people actively asking for it in Smash.
Yeah, I feel this exact way about a Warcraft or Starcraft character. Those games are/were huge globally and they almost never get brought up for Smash speculation. It does make sense since they are primarily PC games and the Smash audience mostly plays console games but it was still strange to never hear them brought up at all. I made a support thread for each game but I don't think I ever got a single reply in either of them.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably getting ninja'd with this, oh well.

It will be 35 minutes long and there will be no further fighter announcement.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Good news! You didn’t get Ninja’d. Enjoy being the first to post this.

As for what could be in it, I expect at least a quick word regarding amiibo since the next three are end of March.

Also 9 am est, 6 am pst? That’s a bit early.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Maybe I'm just too old these days but it does bum me out a bit how little people care about RARE IP's these days. I made a topic over at GameFAQs about which character people would want if RARE ever got a second character and it was a little depressing how many of the responses were that they had no interest in RARE ever getting another character (that and it didn't get many responses overall). I'm guessing it's because most Smash fans are too young to really remember when RARE was great.

I hear a lot of complaints over anime style characters so I would figure a RARE character would be a welcome break from these types of characters. JRPGs are my favorite genre so I don't really mind the amount of characters but it would be nice to spread out the representation a bit.
Personally I'm satisfied with just Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. I'd rather other Rare characters just get more games for themselves and thankfully that's happening with Perfect Dark.

Besides that, if Nintendo ever decided to add items into DLC, they should add the Klobb from Goldeneye and let children experience the worst gun in video game history.

Faso115

Smash Lord
35 minutes doesn't sound like a whole lot so i don't expect any other crazy announcements besides miis

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Maybe I'm just too old these days but it does bum me out a bit how little people care about RARE IP's these days. I made a topic over at GameFAQs about which character people would want if RARE ever got a second character and it was a little depressing how many of the responses were that they had no interest in RARE ever getting another character (that and it didn't get many responses overall). I'm guessing it's because most Smash fans are too young to really remember when RARE was great.

I hear a lot of complaints over anime style characters so I would figure a RARE character would be a welcome break from these types of characters. JRPGs are my favorite genre so I don't really mind the amount of characters but it would be nice to spread out the representation a bit.
A lot of that is rooted in Microsoft's inability to really take advantage of the IP's they acquired. There's no reason circa 2003-2007 they couldn't have made a Diddy Kong Racing spiritual successor to make their own Mario Kart series. Same with immediately turning Killer Instinct into their exclusive fighting game franchise, or gradually having Conker titles become their version of Ratchet & Clank. That's not even getting into the mixed successes of Perfect Dark Zero or Nuts & Bolts. There's a really ideal period to make Rare a cornerstone of their library and it never really happed. That Viva Piñata, a new IP ended up being one of the most enduring Rare franchises on Xbox is somewhat telling of the output.

Staarih

Smash Master
Good news! You didn’t get Ninja’d. Enjoy being the first to post this.

As for what could be in it, I expect at least a quick word regarding amiibo since the next three are end of March.

Also 9 am est, 6 am pst? That’s a bit early.
These presentations seem to happen at such random times every time haha!

Not sure how it fits with previous presentations but Terry's was at a similar time, no? Potential release after presentation, then?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Personally I'm satisfied with just Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. I'd rather other Rare characters just get more games for themselves and thankfully that's happening with Perfect Dark.

Besides that, if Nintendo ever decided to add items into DLC, they should add the Klobb from Goldeneye and let children experience the worst gun in video game history.
Yeah, I'd love to see that too. Hopefully the Perfect Dark game is actually good. I was a little disappointed with Perfect Dark Zero. I would love to see the Battletoads get a game using their classic designs that actually has some kind of budget around it. The new game just doesn't feel the same. The character designs are a lot worse and remind me of the new Nickelodeon TMNT designs, which I also don't care for.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean to be fair, Banjo-Kazooie was always the only original Rare IP that made sense for Smash.

Goldeneye is never happening for obvious reasons, Conker and Jet Force Gemini aren't really prolific or noteworthy enough (the former's games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms in Japan), Killer Instinct is on the same boat as Conker in that its original games were never released on SNES/N64/GB in Japan despite Nintendo co-owning it at the time, etc

Maybe you could make a case for Joanna Dark, but I think she's held back by her reliance on realistic weaponry. That, and most people would probably prefer Master Chief or to a lesser extent Doomguy if they were gonna add an FPS character owned by Microsoft.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well, this was unexpected! What a strange time to announce it, a week and a day before the presentation. A 9AM presentation also hints at an immediate release. I guess we're counting down the days for Lloyd's costume and possibly the Monster Hunter outfits to come back, but mostly I just want to see Sakurai happy and my friends happy that a game they love is in Smash.

I hope we get a crazy Mii costume this time, maybe a Mortal Kombat ninja that changes colors.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean to be fair, Banjo-Kazooie was always the only original Rare IP that made sense for Smash.

Goldeneye is never happening for obvious reasons, Conker and Jet Force Gemini aren't really prolific or noteworthy enough (the former's games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms in Japan), Killer Instinct is on the same boat as Conker in that its original games were never released on SNES/N64 in Japan despite Nintendo co-owning it at the time, etc

Maybe you could make a case for Joanna Dark, but I think she's held back by her reliance on realistic weaponry. That, and most people would probably prefer Master Chief or to a lesser extent Doomguy if they were gonna add an FPS character owned by Microsoft.
I do think a case can be made for the Battletoads though. They were RARE's first major success in gaming and would make a great retro NES rep. They haven't been totally forgotten over the years, showing up as a cameo in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct and got a new game last year, even if it wasn't the greatest thing ever.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

March 4th? That's WAYYY Earlier than I was expecting. So release wise it's probably March 14th then, eh?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given the rate of fighters being released every three months, is out of the question to assume a mid/late June release for Fighter 10?

They straight up said there's gonna be no new fighter reveals lol
I mean that was kinda an obv assumption but this is the first time they've been this upfront about this, right?
Nah, they've been doing this for a lot of the Sakurai presents in the past 12 months.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
To be fair, a lot of relatively mainstream games don't. General popularity doesn't necessarily equal a lot of people actively asking for it in Smash.
Yeah, that's definitely true.

I messed up using Shiren as an "obscure" character, but the best part about mistakes is that you can learn from them.

If I ever get the opportunity to make a post like that again, I'll make sure to pick an actually obscure character.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'd say a reveal around E3, then a release in early July personally.
They announced both Hero and Banjo at E3. And Banjo was released in August. So I can see them announcing CP10, then releasing in August. Announcing the Final one around October, with release in december.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Given the rate of fighters being released every three months, is out of the question to assume a mid/late June release for Fighter 10?

Nah, they've been doing this for a lot of the Sakurai presents in the past 12 months.
I'm thinking more so a reveal at E3, but a release in Late August/Early September because I'm thinking Challenger Pack 11 is probably November 2021 lol.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
They straight up said there's gonna be no new fighter reveals lol
I mean that was kinda an obv assumption but this is the first time they've been this upfront about this, right?
All because Terry Bogard was revealed with Banjo & Kazooie's release.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
They announced both Hero and Banjo at E3. And Banjo was released in August. So I can see them announcing CP10, then releasing in August. Announcing the Final one around October, with release in december.
I'm thinking more so a reveal at E3, but a release in Late August/Early September because I'm thinking Challenger Pack 11 is probably November 2021 lol.
I'd be surprised if it took it that much time. The period between Smash fighters has rarely been more than roughly 100 days, and even Hero's release in July took place three months after Joker's in April. Byleth to Min-Min was the longest period even that was going from two different Fighter's Passes.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Awww yeah, early March it is. I can't wait! Mii costume reel is always interesting as well. I reaallllyy hope some X music makes it in too, I know there's some weird issues but even the non vocal stuff (Like the Noctilum theme) would be great.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'd be surprised if it took it that much time. The period between Smash fighters has rarely been more than roughly 100 days, and even Hero's release in July took place three months after Joker's in April. Byleth to Min-Min was the longest period even that was basically going from two different Fighter's Passes.
Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next couple of characters are on the more... complicated side, like, Steve levels of complicated. Like, Clones being summoned, evolving into 8 different characters, Bridges, Chaotic Crate throwing. I think we're going to get some very complicated gimmicks soon.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Can't wait for more deconfirmed characters as Mii Outfits.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
The main issue is, unlike Microsoft, Sony doesn't exactly like Nintendo...
Sony doesnt like Nintendo is pretty dumb since it's been over 20 years since anything particularly bad happened between them. Sony is also a lot less strict with their ips, allowing the kratos fortnite skin to be multiplatform, while nintendo won't even allow a rocket league skin of samus to be playable in any cross play matches. Also don't forget nintendo is literally dominating in japan and it'd be a good idea to partner with them/increase interest in games like little big planet. They also did that gaming pledge thing with them. I wouldn't be surprised if playstation saw what all it's big partners were doing like square enix, capcom, atlus/sega and then ****ing Microsoft and decided to take part in it. If there isn't sony representation via mii or fighter, it will be there by next game. Also a Sony character or mii would probably be given more attention than any other dlc has gotten since people consider sony and nintendo to be enemies. As internet breaking as sonic in brawl

i also forgot the fact that sony even considered putting remote play on switch, smash almost acting like promotion for games like SFV, FF7R, persona 5, sony putting games on pc and one game on xbox, A music branch of sony has published some indies on switch

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
C’om Sakurai, give us a new Terry moment with +50 Xeno music tracks from Xeno 1, Future Connected, X, 2, Torna DLC and Xenosaga trilogy.

But being realistic, 14 tracks from Xeno 2 (all the battle themes + other song like counterattack, incoming! And drifting soul that we heard at the trailer), 1 from Torna DLC (Battle!!) and 5 from Xeno DE Epilogue would be more than fine for me. Don’t have too much hopes for Xeno X music.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

The only thing I wish we got were Mii costumes. The lack of a Mumbo Swordfighter costume was borderline depressing.

That being said, I'm honestly pretty content knowing that the Motion Sensor Bomb is and always will be based on the proximity mine from GoldenEye.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m partly expecting the character to release pretty close after the presentation like either day in or the following days. Dunno why I think that but I feel it.

Edit: it may be because it’s relatively short, shortest since Banjo right? And they were done the same way. Released the day of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom