• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
honestly gramp's back is a huge L as far as stages go. literally any continent other than Gaur-motti Grass Plains would've been great since Xenoblade biomes tend to be varied and interesting.
I like it and I totally get why they chose it, The Titans were a big part of Xenoblade 2 and seeing all of them is pretty cool, I wish we could go visit them and the fact that we can't is kinda lame.

I would have done it differently If I was doing it though, I probably would have gone with Argentum Trade Guild or the Leftherian Archipelago, They would have the most unique Layouts and the Context for cameos would be ever so slightly stronger.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well Smash 64 was released in 1999, and Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002 so I think that theorically any Rare characters could have happen in the original Smash, but the roster was so small that probably none of them was seriously consider. Perfect dark released in 2000 soon after Smash 64 so it couldn't be in it. Banjo and Killer instinct was pretty young (Banjo only had one game, Tooie released also in 2000 and KI had 2 games). I guess Battletoads could have make the cut, but with such a small roster it's not that surprising that they where not considered.
Killer Instinct dated back to the SNES, so it's not young at all. But yeah, many are. Battletoads was one of their biggest games overall, and a great retro choice too~

Of course, we all know which game series pretty much defined them after DKC, so.

If I remember correctly, Smash 64 was one of the last major N64 games released. I think all of the characters would have been eligible but I could be wrong. RARE was still with Nintendo at that time so it’s a shame that none of them actually made it.

I want to think that RARE’s history with Nintendo would give them some kind of edge compared to other companies but I’m not sure if that is actually true.
Ah, good to know. I have a bad memory of many releases dates. >.>;

Better hope she doesn't bring the Far Sight. Otherwise, she'll be banned on all large maps, especially Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple because she'd be hitting people from the other side of the map with the most fastest bullets passing through the stage.

God, the Far Sight is the most broken weapon known to video games.
Made worse by me never getting far enough to remember a lot of areas and weapons. XD Goldeneye 007 I remember a bit more. Including Paintball Mode~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

honestly gramp's back is a huge L as far as stages go. literally any continent other than Gaur-motti Grass Plains would've been great since Xenoblade biomes tend to be varied and interesting.
Gramps showcases the Cloud Sea though so I can’t complain. Definitely my favorite part of XC2’s world. Leftheria would arguably be better but Gramps is a cool dude who made the trailer way better so I’m here for it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Killer Instinct dated back to the SNES, so it's not young at all. But yeah, many are. Battletoads was one of their biggest games overall, and a great retro choice too~

Of course, we all know which game series pretty much defined them after DKC, so.

Ah, good to know. I have a bad memory of many releases dates. >.>;

Made worse by me never getting far enough to remember a lot of areas and weapons. XD Goldeneye 007 I remember a bit more. Including Paintball Mode~
Apparently, I have a bad memory with that as well. I could have sworn Smash was newer than Perfect Dark but it looks like I was wrong. I bought both games on their release days and loved both so it’s weird I got them mixed up.

The Farsight might actually make for a great Final Smash. It definitely is in contention for best gun in a video game along with the spread gun from Contra.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Apparently, I have a bad memory with that as well. I could have sworn Smash was newer than Perfect Dark but it looks like I was wrong. I bought both games on their release days and loved both so it’s weird I got them mixed up.
No worries. Considering the timing, Perfect Dark was probably not likely anyway. I wish Sakurai considered it for Melee... though a trophy apparenlty references it, so eh.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
another fun question to hopefully stir up some new names: what is the absolute most obscure, least known character you can think of that you want in Smash?
Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy is one of my favorite video game characters ever and is one of my most wanted for Smash even if there is no logical reason he would ever be considered.

ZelDan

Smash Master
another fun question to hopefully stir up some new names: what is the absolute most obscure, least known character you can think of that you want in Smash?
There's this green armored space soldier dude named Master chief from this small little franchise called "Halo," maybe you heard of it?

I think he'd be a cool addition, even if he wouldn't really rile up that many people at all for any reason.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Maybe this a unpopular opinion but I'm not a huge fan of the cameo in that stage. It made sense in the KoF stages because everyone in that franchise loves to fight and they cheer you, but they already look awkward enough on the Three houses stages and on that ridiculously small Xenoblade stages it just look even more weird. I get that they want to please the fan, but it just look weird seeing Nia doing nothing so close to a battle.

I actually forgot that KI was that old, but still most of the characters of Smash 64 was more popular than KI. The only one that I'm unsure would be Ness, maybe KI was more popular than Earthbound but that would be it.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well Smash 64 was released in 1999, and Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002 so I think that theorically any Rare characters could have happen in the original Smash, but the roster was so small that probably none of them was seriously consider. Perfect dark released in 2000 soon after Smash 64 so it couldn't be in it. Banjo and Killer instinct was pretty young (Banjo only had one game, Tooie released also in 2000 and KI had 2 games). I guess Battletoads could have make the cut, but with such a small roster it's not that surprising that they where not considered.
Looking at it this way, it's kind of a miracle that Ness made it into the original game. Mother is a fantastic franchise, but a lot of its fame is kind of tied to Smash Bros at this point. It's interesting to think how other small series would be perceived if they had a character in Smash 64.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually forgot that KI was that old, but still most of the characters of Smash 64 was more popular than KI. The only one that I'm unsure would be Ness, maybe KI was more popular than Earthbound but that would be it.
It helps that those characters are mostly pretty big Nintendo characters at that point, or from notable franchises.

Also, KI, as I noted, wasn't released worldwide at all, so it's definitely not going to be as known as many of those. Only EarthBound comes close, but it was at least a Japan release too. The rest were worldwide. It's a famous game in the arcade on its own, but definitely low scale too, sadly.

Nonetheless, agreed. Among Rare's stuff, it and Battletoads are definitely worth considering at the time of Smash 64. Banjo-Kazooie too. Most of them in general had good timing~

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe this a unpopular opinion but I'm not a huge fan of the cameo in that stage. It made sense in the KoF stages because everyone in that franchise loves to fight and they cheer you, but they already look awkward enough on the Three houses stages and on that ridiculously small Xenoblade stages it just look even more weird. I get that they want to please the fan, but it just look weird seeing Nia doing nothing so close to a battle.

I think Killer Instinct and Battletoads were probably at least as popular as F-Zero as well. I know Captain Falcon has become a Smash legend since his inclusion but I’m not sure it was the most iconic choice at the time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
brian6.png

Not sure if he really counts, but he's up there for sure. I say this due to speedrunning putting the series a bit more on the map and all. But eh.

Then again, I'm the Quest guy, so some may already know of him thanks to me by now. :p Joking aside, he's my favorite mage of all time.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, "medium quality model of character doing canned animation in background" cameos don't really do much for me either. I've found most of the DLC stages pretty underwhelming, even Spiral Mountain as a huge BK fan is just kinda there.

Ivander

Smash Legend

The Farsight might actually make for a great Final Smash. It definitely is in contention for best gun in a video game along with the spread gun from Contra.
If Perfect Dark were to get a stage, the most likely area would be the Carrington Institute, the main hub area or Lucerne Tower, the first level of the game and the headquarters for dataDyne.

If there's any gimmick for Joanna, it'd be that her Specials would have two functions. That was one of the coolest things about Perfect Dark was that all the weapons had a Primary Firing Mode and a Secondary Firing Mode. Like let's talk about one of the rocket launcher weapons, the Slayer. It's Primary Fire is a normal rocket missile. It's Secondary Fire is a Fly-by-Wire missile. Basically, a controlled rocket missile like Snake's Side-B.

As for weapons she could use, there are quite a lot of realistic guns, but there are also the alien guns as well.
  • The Maien guns, the Phoenix, a pistol-like weapon and Callisto, a sub-machine gun-like weapon, are guns that fire normal bullet rounds in Primary Fire, but slower explosive shots with their Secondary Fire. The Callisto's Secondary Fire can even go through objects, doors and enemies, so Primary Fire could be used to focus fast on one enemies while the Secondary Fire is used in matches with lots of people.
  • The Skedar guns include the Mauler, the Reaper and the Slayer. I already mentioned the Slayer above. The Mauler is another Pistol-like weapon. It's Primary Fire is a normal bullet shot that can be shot pretty fast while it's Secondary Fire is a automatic Charged shot, but fires much slower due to having to charge up before firing. But it could be used to prepare a Charge shot pre-encounter. The Reaper is an Automatic weapon that pretty much starts slow when starting to fire, with shots not shooting out much, but when it gets fully started, it fires super fast and will pretty much shred anybody up-close, with it's shots becoming more scattered when the distance to your foe is longer.
  • The Laptop Gun was awesome too. Basically, in it's Primary Fire, it functions as a automatic machine gun. But it shines with it's Secondary Fire, where you can place it anywhere and it will stick to the floor, wall, etc. It then functions like a automatic turret that will fire upon foes when foes get close. For anyone who's played Worms, it functions much like the turret in those games.
  • There is the Rocket Launcher, but the Secondary Fire is basically a Homing shot much like Samus' homing missile. The Slayer may be more preferred for uniqueness due to the Secondary Fire's controlled missile, since it would be a mix between Samus' Super Missile and Snake's controlled missile.
  • The Devastator is a Grenade Launcher, where it's Primary Fire is firing a grenade that will bounce off walls, floors and whatnot while it's Secondary Fire is a Sticky Grenade.
  • The Grenade functions much like a normal grenade, but it's Secondary Fire basically causes the Grenade to bounce uncontrollably on all surfaces, with it speeding up until it either bounces for way too long or it hits somebody.
  • There are the Mines, the Proximity Mine, the Timed Mine and the Remote Mine.
  • There is the N-Grenade. When it is thrown, it causes a large black sphere to appear which disorients foes and causes them to drop any item they are holding. The Secondary Fire is a Proximity N-Grenade, which will explode when a foe gets close. But this could be an interesting item as it's not meant to kill, but to stun and disarm foes. Like you can make your foes drop items when you hit them, but that's mostly random chance depending on the item. The N-Grenade would guarantee the item drop.
  • And yeah, the Far Sight would be the Final Smash. Because the Far Sight in Perfect Dark was the more broken equivalent to the Dragoon. Instant death if it hits anywhere on the opponent. Boom Headshot? Bah. All the Far Sight needed to kill in one shot was just your foot or finger.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I can definitely see King Boo as a possible Smash Fighter. We never got Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits (Even though polterpup, E.gadd, and others from previous games are already spirits) and I find it somewhat odd. We can get new boss spirits for example, as well as for the new ghost. Of course, I'm not confident in this, but I think the potential is there.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ray 01. From Custom Robo Battle Revolution. The Gamecube Custom Robo.
Rahu. Also from Custom Robo and is one of Nintendo's rare antagonists that actually succeeded in destroying the world.
Allen. From Culdcept Revolt.
The Undead Hero. From Guardian Heroes.
Cookie & Cream. 🤭 Mostly kidding, but I wonder how many people remember that game. And how many people know who created it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’m happy a majority of us are chill wanters, and there’s hardly any demanders.
Every character SHOULD fit to my taste, but if they don't, I'll still accept them as long as I feel they're deserving. Even if I don't personally care about them or their franchise.

Like I said, a character that rides around on an animal or mount.
1614143686548.png
BD2 Spirit Event.
Wow. Finally a Spirit event that actually comes out at the same time as the game.

I'm not sure why Square loves Spirit evens so much, but I'm glad they do.

Gimmie some Chrono Spirits!

The River City Ransom spirits were very cool
I just wish they'd used character art instead of sprites.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I really wish RARE had never left Nintendo for Microsoft. I think we would easily have the Battletoads, Fulgore, Joanna Dark, and Conker if they were still with Nintendo.
Not that your not wrong based on the final outcome.

But Nintendo originally owned 49% stake of Rare and when the owners of the company were looking to sell their remaining 51% shares because of the rise of development cost heading into the Gamecube era and they naturally first approached Nintendo who shockingly turned them down.

Rare kept looking for suitors and eventually it came down to Microsoft and Activision, Activision was actually on the verge of acquiring Rare, But for whatever reason the deal fell apart last minute and then Microsoft looking to build up their new Xbox division at the time backed up the dump truck and floored Rare with a $375 million buyout in 2002.

So in the end Microsoft was able to buyout Rare because Nintendo declined their buyout despite having first dibs and Activision couldn't get a deal done in time.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Oh I just remembered another extremely obscure unknown character I would want, and that is Minnie from Star Apprentice Magical Murder Mystery. I'm sure none of you have heard of it but it's actually a pretty good (albeit short) game

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom