• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Man I'm already seeing people on Twitter reacting to the new Bravely Default spirit event with just "oop I guess that's deconfirmed" or "BD dead"

It's hard to get excited for these cool events when everyone treats them like a death knell and only cares about the "deconfirmation" that I swear you'd think people just don't want spirit events anymore.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Man I'm already seeing people on Twitter reacting to the new Bravely Default spirit event with just "oop I guess that's deconfirmed" or "BD dead"

It's hard to get excited for these cool events when everyone treats them like a death knell and only cares about the "deconfirmation" that I swear you'd think people just don't want spirit events anymore.
Yeah, I feel like sometimes people don't really end up appreciating the series is now a part of Smash. That's something many seem to miss. There are so many fighters I would love to see get spirit events but probably won't ever be a part of Super Smash Bros. in any way. I'd be over the moon if Red Dead Redemption or some more indie series at least got spirit events by the end of all of this.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I think given the sheer multitude of spirits and many popular would be franchises getting deconfirmed via events (with no DLC character suggesting otherwise yet) its kind of soured people's enthusiasm. The only real solution would be to get spirits from games so obscure that no one thought they'd get anything in Smash period, thus their arrival would be met with confusion more than anything else.

"This week experience the challenges from the Aero the Acrobat spirit event with the chance to take on Aero, Zero the Squirrel, and others in spirit battles!"

SharkLord

Smash Hero
BD2 Spirit Event.
DEATH
DEATH
DEATH
DEATH

It's just been a while since we've gotten a deconfirmation. I like to keep my expectations low, but I'll celebrate stuff thet's worth celebrating.

Pillow

Smash Lord

I think the events are cool, but I don't really enjoy any of the modes that use spirits so to me it pretty much just is a kill confirm.

Which is a shame for this instance. I like Bravely Default, but it never stood much of a chance to begin with.

Hey, it could be TWEWY next instead, you're good for now!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Any KI fan here? I think Fulgore would make an awesome character (and a realistic third Microsoft rep).

As the guy cited above, his "nuclear reactor" mechanism would make him an very unique character.
I love Killer Instinct. I agree it has the coolest roster overall of any fighting game. I do love characters from other games like Sub-Zero and Nightmare but almost every character in KI is awesome. Killer Instinct was the main reason I regretted never owning an X-Box One. I listen to several songs from that game almost every day. I’ve also always been a big fan of RARE so anyone from KI or the Battletoads would be a dream come true for me.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
What do you mean? The alts weren't there, last I checked.

In fact, now that I think about it... the alts aren't even shown in the screenshots on their page - which most characters have, even BK and Terry, whose full palettes were only shown after their presentations. The only other character that didn't show any alts in their site screenshots was Min Min, but even then some of her alts were shown in her trailer regardless.

This is really weird. It's like they're actively avoiding showing P/M's alt costumes.
Yeah, I pointed that out around after they were first revealed. The fact that their Alts can't be switched to on the site and that they didn't have any Alts show up on the screenshots. At the very least, there might be a notable alternate color for them.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I pointed that out around after they were first revealed. The fact that their Alts can't be switched to on the site and that they didn't have any Alts show up on the screenshots. At the very least, there might be a notable alternate color for them.
The secret is that instead of having any Mii Costumes return for their wave, they have the Rathalos and Hunter armors for their alts. Sakurai will also go out of his way to explain that yes, this indeed deconfirms Monster Hunter for DLC.

:4pacman:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Bravely didn't really have a shot to begin with so the Spirit event is nice to see. Late March is gonna be interesting though, unless it's just Balan Wonderworld which would be really funny.
Look, I doubt Balan Wonderworld will get a playable rep (unless Sakurai owed Yuji Naka a favor or something), so seeing ANYTHING from it in Smash would be a win for me.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I think given the sheer multitude of spirits and many popular would be franchises getting deconfirmed via events (with no DLC character suggesting otherwise yet) its kind of soured people's enthusiasm. The only real solution would be to get spirits from games so obscure that no one thought they'd get anything in Smash period, thus their arrival would be met with confusion more than anything else.

"This week experience the challenges from the Aero the Acrobat spirit event with the chance to take on Aero, Zero the Squirrel, and others in spirit battles!"
The River City Ransom spirits were very cool

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While we're on the topic of game design, without naming any specific characters, are there any playstyles or mechanical gimmicks that you guys would like to see on future characters?
A full out elemental mage. Hero comes close, but he's not outright focused on magic. It's very important, though, but it's a mix of sword and magic, with magic being only somewhat more notable(due to an MP bar).

Considering we don’t have a character that uses an arsenal of guns, aside from the tiny bit that Snake uses, it’s a moveset I’d like to see utilized. Quickly swapping between multiple weapons is the basis of a lot of FPS and some TPS games and it’s an idea I would love to see Sakurai tackle.
I unironically want Shadow the Hedgehog to play like this, switching out guns as one mechanic.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The secret is that instead of having any Mii Costumes return for their wave, they have the Rathalos and Hunter armors for their alts. Sakurai will also go out of his way to explain that yes, this indeed deconfirms Monster Hunter for DLC.

:4pacman:
looks for Xenoblade 2 pictures with characters wearing monster hunter outfits
finds none
:sadsheep:
This is an injustice...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
While we're on the topic of game design, without naming any specific characters, are there any playstyles or mechanical gimmicks that you guys would like to see on future characters?
The main one that comes to mind is the idea of a vampire character. One who uses health as a resource and has one or two moves to gain it back.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
What I'm talking about is... Their Specials do things like Slow Down Speed for everyone, making fights super slow. Turn the Opponent invisible, Disable certain button inputs for a period of time. (No Jabs, no Throws). Stuff like that. Where Sakurai is making the character thinking "Oh, this'll really piss them off"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom