• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, that got me thinking. What are like some of the WORST Move Ideas you can think of that would make whoever has it hated by the fanbse?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Y'all have probably talked about this a lot, but official LBP twitter is following the sackboy for smash acc
This would be a phenomenally based addition

though that's proof itself that nothing's happening. Feels like Smash Ballot - era Wayforward vying for wider public support of the idea

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm, that got me thinking. What are like some of the WORST Move Ideas you can think of that would make whoever has it hated by the fanbse?
How about one that invalidates the RPS of shield/grab/attack that’s present in fighting games? A character with a shield that attacks if you try to grab it, a grab that armors through attacks, and an attack that also grabs. Oh wait that last one is just Steve’s minecart :applejack:

Last edited by a moderator:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
This would be a phenomenally based addition

thought that's proof itself that nothing's happening. Feels like Smash Ballot - era Wayforward vying for wider public support of the idea
I know there was a rumor from that one mii costume dude with sackboy. I also dont think sony would have a problem collaborating with smash since they allowed stuff like kratos in fortnite(way different situation than smash but decided to list it) and they also publish their mlb game on xbox(also different). Sony is always later to things than Microsoft(cross play) and if they saw the success with banjo in pass 1 idk why they wouldn't try to get involved with ssbu.
I honestly have no idea if that's NDA breaking or not lol. I know the voice actor of pyra and mythra was able to mention smash or reply to tweets containing it but not when people asked about xc2 and smash

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm starting to unironically want Bubsy, because if Bubsy is the final character it'd be hilarious like how Plant got in.
For some reason, I rented that game multiple times as a kid even though it wasn’t all that good if a game. I’m not sure what it was that drew me to Bubsy back then.

cothero

Smash Lord
I love Killer Instinct. I agree it has the coolest roster overall of any fighting game. I do love characters from other games like Sub-Zero and Nightmare but almost every character in KI is awesome. Killer Instinct was the main reason I regretted never owning an X-Box One. I listen to several songs from that game almost every day. I’ve also always been a big fan of RARE so anyone from KI or the Battletoads would be a dream come true for me.
Funny thing is, i love MK, but i too think KI character designs and game mechanics are way cooler than MK's - and it's not even than violent. Realisticaly speaking, KI has a pretty good chance of having a character in smash, as Microsoft/Rare is already represented in the game.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know there was a rumor from that one mii costume dude with sackboy. I also dont think sony would have a problem collaborating with smash since they allowed stuff like kratos in fortnite(way different situation than smash but decided to list it) and they also publish their mlb game on xbox(also different). Sony is always later to things than Microsoft(cross play) and if they saw the success with banjo in pass 1 idk why they wouldn't try to get involved with ssbu.
The main issue is, unlike Microsoft, Sony doesn't exactly like Nintendo...

andree123

Smash Ace
BD2 Spirit Event.
Yes, I hope this means that Monster Hunter Rise will get a spirit event too.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Y'all have probably talked about this a lot, but official LBP twitter is following the sackboy for smash acc
Looking at the LBP twitter, they seems to follow a lot of random gamers that are just fan of LBP in general so it probably doesn't means a lot.

I don't think Sony really hates Nintendo. I know that there's the story about the the SNES CD, but that was 30 years ago. I feel like Sony could possibly be open with some of their characters in Smash (they did accept Kratos in Fortnite after all). I don't think Nintendo would really approach Sony the same way that they did with Microsoft. Sackboy would be sick (he's one of my pipe dream), but he's not a fan request like Banjo, and his obviously not as big as Minecraft.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Guaranteed insta-kill. Enough said.
Megaflare says hi

Looking at the LBP twitter, they seems to follow a lot of random gamers that are just fan of LBP in general so it probably doesn't means a lot.

I don't think Sony really hates Nintendo. I know that there's the story about the the SNES CD, but that was 30 years ago. I feel like Sony could possibly be open with some of their characters in Smash (they did accept Kratos in Fortnite after all). I don't think Nintendo would really approach Sony the same way that they did with Microsoft. Sackboy would be sick (he's one of my pipe dream), but he's not a fan request like Banjo, and his obviously not as big as Minecraft.
yeah this is pretty much it. Sony doesn’t have any characters that Nintendo really cares enough about to want to negotiate with a direct competitor for Smash. Sack Boy, Kratos, Nathan Drake and such, while popular, are not on the same level as Steve or Master Chief

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
This right here is the right response to a spirit event
Once the initial sting wears off, I unapologetically love Spirit events. Just last night, I replayed all of the RE Spirits and man I love the references in those battles.

I know we all hate to see our favorite characters deconfirmed, but I really don't see why Spirits are so passionately loathed. I love how clever they can be and I'm always looking forward to more. Especially if it's for a series I love but know won't make it onto the roster. I'd rather have that kind of representation than absolutely nothing.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What if spoiler is an actual alt for them?
But (Xenoblade 2 spoilers)

I don't really see that as a reason to deliberately not show the alts? Like, a green alt is not spoilery at all. Unless you're saying we would get the actual Pneuma in the game, but that would be impossible for obvious reasons. You can't have the actual Pneuma in there when there's the whole switching mechanic between Pyra and Mythra.

I don't think that's implies anything at all. Community managers obviously don't know anything. Probably just the CM being cool with the fan account.

Nintendo doesn't like Sony either. For a Sony character in Smash Nintendo would have to make the first step and approach Sony, not the other way around. And that's already unlikely to begin with.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Once the initial sting wears off, I unapologetically love Spirit events. Just last night, I replayed all of the RE Spirits and man I love the references in those battles.

I know we all hate to see our favorite characters deconfirmed, but I really don't see why Spirits are so passionately loathed. I love how clever they can be and I'm always looking forward to more. Especially if it's for a series I love but know won't make it onto the roster. I'd rather have that kind of representation than absolutely nothing.
I used to hate spirits because I thought they where lazy and a bad replacement from trophy, but if there's one thing that I like about them is how easy they can add more through updates. This make the crossover more complete with a lot of more recent games having representation (like Astral chain, Ring fit, Pokémon gen 8 and now Bravely 2). I do also agree that some fights are very clever.

I think the biggest missed opportunity is the lack of description for the characters. At the very least I think they sould have write the characters first appearances (this is not a problem when the franchise have one game, but with things like Fire emblem it's a bit sad to not know who comes from each game).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Funny thing is, i love MK, but i too think KI character designs and game mechanics are way cooler than MK's - and it's not even than violent. Realisticaly speaking, KI has a pretty good chance of having a character in smash, as Microsoft/Rare is already represented in the game.
Killer Instinct has zero releases in Japan(and barely any in Europe). Mortal Kombat got a few releases in Japan(and a pretty decent amount in Europe). MK is more violent, but it's also way more iconic. It ultimately has a better chance because it's easier for them to sell, even if it's something like transferring old games not banned over to the Switch system. And I doubt it has a chance anyway.

It's too bad too. KI is more than easy enough to easily transfer over to the Nintendo systems again too, since it's sellable everywhere easier because it's not nearly as violent. So it would be easy to put in the Japanese market in comparison to MK. But, you know, owned by another company, so, well...

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
But (Xenoblade 2 spoilers)

I don't really see that as a reason to deliberately not show the alts? Like, a green alt is not spoilery at all. Unless you're saying we would get the actual Pneuma in the game, but that would be impossible for obvious reasons. You can't have the actual Pneuma in there when there's the whole switching mechanic between Pyra and Mythra.
I mean you could theoretically have her change some sort of extra colour thing she has to signify whether she is using Pyra or Mythra's moveset perhaps? Having Pneuma there wouldn't be that impossible, though I doubt that's the direction they're going with.

Unrelated but there's been a lot of Eggman support lately which is great and all (especially as someone who is an enormous fan of Sonic) but I wonder what people's thoughts are on the possibility of Tails getting in instead. I would honestly prefer him because I feel as though Eggman would be able to function a lot better as a stage boss. I know he's probably disconfirmed because of the Mii Costume but I'm curious.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Killer Instinct has zero releases in Japan(and barely any in Europe). Mortal Kombat got a few releases in Japan(and a pretty decent amount in Europe). MK is more violent, but it's also way more iconic. It ultimately has a better chance because it's easier for them to sell, even if it's something like transferring old games not banned over to the Switch system. And I doubt it has a chance anyway.

It's too bad too. KI is more than easy enough to easily transfer over to the Nintendo systems again too, since it's sellable everywhere easier because it's not nearly as violent. So it would be easy to put in the Japanese market in comparison to MK. But, you know, owned by another company, so, well...
I really wish RARE had never left Nintendo for Microsoft. I think we would easily have the Battletoads, Fulgore, Joanna Dark, and Conker if they were still with Nintendo.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I used to hate spirits because I thought they where lazy and a bad replacement from trophy, but if there's one thing that I like about them is how easy they can add more through updates. This make the crossover more complete with a lot of more recent games having representation (like Astral chain, Ring fit, Pokémon gen 8 and now Bravely 2). I do also agree that some fights are very clever.

I think the biggest missed opportunity is the lack of description for the characters. At the very least I think they sould have write the characters first appearances (this is not a problem when the franchise have one game, but with things like Fire emblem it's a bit sad to not know who comes from each game).
God, yeah. If you care enough to design a fight around a character at lease give us a few sentences of description cmon.

Yeah I agree with this. Both series have that crazy over the top late 90’s energy, but mortal Kombat is actually a very well known series where KI is not. I’m really not a big fan of either franchise, but having the MK movie theme in Smash would be pretty great. Mick Gordon’s best shot of getting into Smash is through the Doomslayer.

Paraster

Smash Lord

If you really want Spirit descriptions, this site is great. It has descriptions for every Spirit in the game (though it hasn't added the Age of Calamity Spirits yet).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really wish RARE had never left Nintendo for Microsoft. I think we would easily have the Battletoads, Fulgore, Joanna Dark, and Conker if they were still with Nintendo.
Same. Though Joanna Dark would be one of the later ones, or possibly early on, considering Sakurai actually looked at James Bond to begin with. They're all sweet in their own way. I forget the release dates of some of these games, so I don't know if anyone but Fulgore and Battletoads would be plausible for Smash 64.

Yeah I agree with this. Both series have that crazy over the top late 90’s energy, but mortal Kombat is actually a very well known series where KI is not. I’m really not a big fan of either franchise, but having the MK movie theme in Smash would be pretty great. Mick Gordon’s best shot of getting into Smash is through the Doomslayer.
They both have their own sweet merits, yeah. Well, all three. Killer Instinct pretty much did do some unique things, but one big thing it did was create the Combo Breaker, something still used in quite a few games. Not exactly like a parry, mind you. Though for the most part, a lot of games have more effectively a parry instead of the specific version. I don't know if Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter use the actual Combo Breaker mechanic(where it's based upon actual specific button types, like low punch, etc.) or not. I'd love to see that in Smash. I'd love to see all three franchises in there as is~

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Same. Though Joanna Dark would be one of the later ones, or possibly early on, considering Sakurai actually looked at James Bond to begin with. They're all sweet in their own way. I forget the release dates of some of these games, so I don't know if anyone but Fulgore and Battletoads would be plausible for Smash 64.

They both have their own sweet merits, yeah. Well, all three. Killer Instinct pretty much did do some unique things, but one big thing it did was create the Combo Breaker, something still used in quite a few games. Not exactly like a parry, mind you. Though for the most part, a lot of games have more effectively a parry instead of the specific version. I don't know if Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter use the actual Combo Breaker mechanic(where it's based upon actual specific button types, like low punch, etc.) or not. I'd love to see that in Smash. I'd love to see all three franchises in there as is~
If I remember correctly, Smash 64 was one of the last major N64 games released. I think all of the characters would have been eligible but I could be wrong. RARE was still with Nintendo at that time so it’s a shame that none of them actually made it.

I want to think that RARE’s history with Nintendo would give them some kind of edge compared to other companies but I’m not sure if that is actually true.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Same. Though Joanna Dark would be one of the later ones, or possibly early on, considering Sakurai actually looked at James Bond to begin with.
Better hope she doesn't bring the Far Sight. Otherwise, she'll be banned on all large maps, especially Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple because she'd be hitting people from the other side of the map with the most fastest bullets passing through the stage.

God, the Far Sight is the most broken weapon known to video games.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
honestly gramp's back is a huge L as far as stages go. literally any continent other than Gaur-motti Grass Plains would've been great since Xenoblade biomes tend to be varied and interesting.
I like it, it gives a glimpse of all the locales people can visit in Alrest. The only problem for me is that he doesn't land on the titans a la Delfino Plaza and Skyloft, but Uraya and Tantal probably would've made it hard to make seamless transitions.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well Smash 64 was released in 1999, and Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002 so I think that theorically any Rare characters could have happen in the original Smash, but the roster was so small that probably none of them was seriously consider. Perfect dark released in 2000 soon after Smash 64 so it couldn't be in it. Banjo and Killer instinct was pretty young (Banjo only had one game, Tooie released also in 2000 and KI had 2 games). I guess Battletoads could have make the cut, but with such a small roster it's not that surprising that they where not considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom