• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
:ultsteve: :My favorite from an execution standpoint, but holy ** does he have a learning cliff. That said, the amount of ** he can pull off is amazing and that's why I love the ******. Including silly stuff like the Anvil Grab (which I don't think has been patched out yet). There are a couple issues I have with how the block plays - namely how weirdly Minecart interacts with stuff because seriously that thing is its own moveset sometimes. Still though, a very effective character and pleased with how he turned out.
Oh I definitely agree with this. I like how Steve’s moveset allows for a lot of creativity, but I could definitely do without minecart. When I play him, I end up relying on minecart way more than I would like to. The move is so simple, yet so powerful that it’s kind of frustrating. Honestly, I would be perfectly happy if they patched out its command grab function entirely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As cliche as it’ll sound, I hope that we’re done with JRPG characters. Whether they be 3rd party reps or ones from Nintendo, in terms of the remaining spots, I’m hoping that we get ones that are similar to Steve, in that they not only each bring in a new series, but also new genres.
I'd say we're done with jRPG representation, but its hard to know for sure because of how pervasive the hallmarks of the genre is in every other game type.

EXP, Leveling Up, Earning New (or upgrading current) Equipment to progress further, and getting new Abilities after accruing any kind of Points (since its all basically just EXP under different names) are things that originated in RPGs and have been implemented in other genres for awhile now.

Not saying that everything with one of those mechanics IS an RPG; just saying that the genre itself was so influential that it made its way into everything, so we can't really deny Japan's love of different RPGs and be confused as to why they seem to want so many of them repped in Smash. Like Final Fantasy having 2 reps, Dragon Quest getting Hero representing 4 separate DQ games, Joker from a nearly brand new Persona game, several Pokemon, and the never-ending avalanche of Fire Emblem character reps for example lol. It seems excessive at first glance but when you consider the effect of the genre on gaming as a whole, it makes sense why they seem to get the lion's share of representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
While we're on the topic of game design, without naming any specific characters, are there any playstyles or mechanical gimmicks that you guys would like to see on future characters?
Considering we don’t have a character that uses an arsenal of guns, aside from the tiny bit that Snake uses, it’s a moveset I’d like to see utilized. Quickly swapping between multiple weapons is the basis of a lot of FPS and some TPS games and it’s an idea I would love to see Sakurai tackle.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
As cliche as it’ll sound, I hope that we’re done with JRPG characters. Whether they be 3rd party reps or ones from Nintendo, in terms of the remaining spots, I’m hoping that we get ones that are similar to Steve, in that they not only each bring in a new series, but also new genres.
I really hope one of the last 2 fighters bring a new genre to Smash. My biggest dream would be Rhythm games, but other genre I would also like a Adventure representation (Phoenix Wright) or Puzzle game (Arle or Prof. Layton). There are other genre still not represented like FPS and Horror, but those are the main I think.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
While we're on the topic of game design, without naming any specific characters, are there any playstyles or mechanical gimmicks that you guys would like to see on future characters?
a character that can place thing's down to control an area, like maybe a turret that shoot's something or a shield, and they stay there until destroyed.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Now that we only have 2 unknown slots for FP2, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Is it not?
It depends on how you see it I suppose. If you were excited for the majority of the Fighters pass characters so far then definitely. If you're in the boat that most of the DLC fighters weren't that appealing (which is kind of the boat I'm in) then sure. I still want to complete the roster regardless of who gets in and I might like how they play anyway. Didn't know much about Terry when he got revealed but I love his moveset. I'm not as hyped as I was but I'll still keep an eye out

Cliche it may be but I still true. We have enough JRPG franchises in the game. Pokemon, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Persona, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, ect. With over 20 characters from the genre. That's about 1/4 of the roster. I want Smash to have more variety so I hope the last 2 are Steve level weird.

Oooh, good question! I've been wanting a character who changes their size and weight at will. Going from a small rushdown to a heavy tank. Their moveset would be the same regardless of size but their power, speed and endlag would be different. I'm not sure who could fill this gap though.

Another is a "Double" like character. For those who don't know I'm referring to the character Double from SkullGirls whose moveset is transforming into other fighters and mixing their moves together. Once again, I'm not sure who could do this. Ditto from Pokemon is a worthy candidate for that style.

Maybe (perhaps it would be too hard to balance) A character who only has one true jump but can also straight up fly around the stage like a bird. They'd be a reverse Little Mac as they'd be useless on the ground but fantastic in the air. I thought about Eggman in his Eggmobile using weapons from his other bosses could do this. Maybe a limitation like Steve's blocks to help balance their movement.

It's not really a gimmick, but I want a short weapons user that doesn't rely on projectiles. The only ones we have now are Meta Knight and sorta Ice Climbers. I don't really care for how either of them play, but I like the idea a lot. It could be like Bandana Dee where they have long reach, or they could be more like if Toon Link was balanced for close range instead of projectiles. I'd be happy either way.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So correct me if I'm wrong, but 4 days to go means the Pokemon news comes out on Saturday, doesn't it?
If that's the case I don't see why we couldn't get the Smash presentation this week. They could announce it Wednesday and then the presentation would take place Thursday.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Me except it’s
“Let Persona fans be happy!”
“Let Dragon Quest fans be happy!”
“Let SNK/Fatal Fury/King of Fighters fans be happy!”

Now, I’ve found enjoyment with each DLC character in some way. But most of the characters so far, on initial reveal, I really didn’t care about with the exceptions of Banjo, Min Min, and Steve. Even then, none of those 3 were characters I actively supported/wanted to be in the game. They were just characters that, on initial reveal, I could actually say “Woah, I have some familiarity with that character and it’s cool to see them in Smash.”
EXACTLY THIS.

If I can get Rayman, Phoenix Wright, Master Chief, or Lara Croft, I'll be good (don't have that much confidence in that last one anymore, but I'll take whichever one of these four I can get at this point)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would actually like the Mechanic seen by Captain Ginyu in the DBZ: Fighterz game. Mainly, you have one 'main' fighter (Ginyu) and different specials and moves (or in this case, Smash attacks) that utilize other people. This way, it would be 1 fighter, but 'feel' like a group.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For a while, I've wanted a character that doesn't act like their weight class. K. Rool was designed as a heavy who doesn't act like one, and so I wanted a lightweight with heavyweight-like properties to balance it out.

Then I actually got one in the form of :ultsephiroth:. It's pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I mean, I think each character so far was done quite well, so year. Its also a good deal

Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. Make a trailer for your most wanted. Here is mine.

The trailer starts off with the old school costumes fighting like in the Smash 64 commercial. Probably with some generic music for obvious reasons. Then, a certain someone interrupts the proceeding fight.

Similar to the Duck Hunt trailer, it transitions then into CGI, and the tagline Crash Bandicoot Crashes the Party! would appear.

Obviously, they might not do a trailer like this and go with something else, but I think this would be a super cool trailer idea.
Here's one I have for Sora:

Loosely picking up from one of WoL's possible endings; Galeem is defeated, his Master Hand army disappearing with him. Dharkon now reigns supreme, with :ultmario: lying down in defeat. Dharkon appears in the sky, ready to swallow the world in darkness. However, one last flickering light appears in the sky, with all the other heroes taking notice; the camera then moves closer to it, revealing a door. A mysterious figure then appears from the door and strikes Dharkon in his eye. As he is wounded, Dharkon takes note of the figure, who then jumps back to the ground, with the camera revaling a famaliar keychain.

"I won't let this world fall to the darkness."

The other heroes, including :ultcloud:, look up to this figure.

Sora
Lights the Way!

With renewed hope, the other heroes join Sora in another battle against Dharkon, with the last scene before gameplay emulating a cutscene-to-gameplay transition from Kingdom Hearts 3.

The trailer then cuts to Sora performing various attacks on Dharkon's pupper fighters. This includes normal combos like Aerial Finish, Magnet Burst and Explosion; magic attacks like Firaga, Blizzaga, Aeroga, Thundaga, and Curaga; and other special moves of Sora's, like Sonic Blade, Airstep, and Ars Arcanum (there are also bits with Sora next to :ultduckhunt: and facing :ultsephiroth: with the help of :ultcloud:). In a battle against Dharkon, Sora stuns Dharkon with an Aeroza Situation Command, and Dharkon switches to Phase 2. This then cuts to a CGI bit where Sora unleashes his Final Smash, Ultimate Union Ragnarok. He effortlessly destorys the Crazy Hands and eventually pierces through Dharkon's eye riding a storm of Keyblades, destroying the lord of darkness.

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE x KINGDOM HEARTS

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Disney
Moveset reference: Post movesets for your most wanted characters | Smashboards

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
It seems excessive at first glance but when you consider the effect of the genre on gaming as a whole, it makes sense why they seem to get the lion's share of representation.
Fair point; it’s just that even if JRPGs didn’t make up the lion’s share of the DLC representation, I’d still feel the same way. While I was excited to see Banjo & Kazooie back on a Nintendo system, if platformers made up that many picks, it would also be just as tiring for me.

I realize I should have been clearer; my apologies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I haven’t had a most wanted since Daisy came to Smash. Piranha Plant was a great surprise and one I really love playing as and I like Three Houses so I‘m more on the side of hype when it comes to Byleth, but I also know that the probability is more on the side of the absolute ocean of characters that I don’t actively support, or even have a personal connection to. The ratio on that is at best 10:200, which I cannot expect to come to fruition even if it seems the characters are pouring in.

D

Deleted member

For a while, I've wanted a character that doesn't act like their weight class. K. Rool was designed as a heavy who doesn't act like one, and so I wanted a lightweight with heavyweight-like properties to balance it out.

Then I actually got one in the for of :ultsephiroth:. It's pretty sweet.
He's like the definition of a Glass Cannon. He can put the hurt on you, but if you sneeze at Sephiroth while he's on the stage's edge, he's a goner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I really like duo characters. We already have Ice Climbers and Rosaluma, but neither of them quite do it for me. Ken/Koromaru is my favorite character in P4A and I'd love to see someone like them. The relationship between a man and his dog is one of the strongest possible bonds imaginable and I want to see it implemented in Smash! Here's a video of what I'm talking about:
I think that one of these guys could potentially pull off this playstyle:
AYuripede.png

My preference would be for Yuri and Repede. I know that Yuri has plenty of stuff going for him without using Repede, but it would definitely make him stand out among the other "anime swordfighters."

KillerCage

Smash Master
New discussion time! Where do you fall on this line?

Personally, I'm a Chill Wanter. While I have my preferences and there are a few characters I DON'T want, most of the time I'm okay with whoever.
I would fall under "Chill Wanter."
I already got Ridley so I shouldn't complain about newcomers when I got my most wanted character.
When there has been "meh" inclusions (Hero, Min Min, and Steve) and one dud (Byleth), we got plenty of newcomers I enjoyed (or will enjoy once Pyra and Mythra are released) playing (Joker, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Sephiroth.)

I.D.

Smash Lord
I really like duo characters. We already have Ice Climbers and Rosaluma, but neither of them quite do it for me. Ken/Koromaru is my favorite character in P4A and I'd love to see someone like them. The relationship between a man and his dog is one of the strongest possible bonds imaginable and I want to see it implemented in Smash! Here's a video of what I'm talking about:
View attachment 304781
My preference would be for Yuri and Repede. I know that Yuri has plenty of stuff going for him without using Repede, but it would definitely make him stand out among the other "anime swordfighters."
ahem

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. Make a trailer for your most wanted. Here is mine.
Man, everyone talks about “the Crash mascot costume interrupting the original Smash 64 commercial” in terms of obvious reveal trailers (which, yeah, would be dope), but I’ve always wanted them to do this. Get some snacks, it’s long.

Oh, and it flows a lot better when you listen to the appropriate music.

It opens up on a close-up of a hand holding the iconic Smash envelope. It’s Pit, looking determined. His gaze shifts upward toward a giant statue of Palutena. A black crow with glowing orange eyes flies through the scene.

Hard cut to Joker, who flashes us a grin before leaping from a balcony inside Niijima's Palace. As he descends, he confidently twirls his knife.

Cut to Chrom spinning his Falchion impressively. Lucina doing the same. They both look at Robin, his Levin Sword hovering around him.

Cut to Link, in his Hero’s Tunic, triumphantly removing the Master Sword from its base.

Now we’re aboard Gramps, with Pyra looking off at the enormous landscape below. In her hand is a Smash envelope, as well. She looks at it curiously before being interrupted by a huge gust of wind. Riding that wind is the same crow from earlier.

Boom, we’re now deep within the halls of Garreg Mach Monastery. Shiek does a backflip into frame, landing in a defensive pose. We see that she’s in the middle of a fight with Byleth, who fires the Sword of the Creator at Sheik. Impossibly, Sheik catches the tip of the extended blade with one of her knives.

We’re now in the middle of a town in the middle of a very muted-toned Dream Land. A visibly exhausted Meta Knight is sneaking through the alleyways. We see King Dedede ordering a small army of Waddle Dees on the hunt. A saddened Adeleine, cornered by the Dees, defeatedly points toward one of the alleys. Cut to a close-up on Meta Knight’s eyes, narrowing, trying to keep hidden.

Wham, we’re now in the middle of a decimated alien planet. We see the fallen armor of various space marines on the rocky ground. One of them holds a Smash envelope. We see a sickly purple claw pluck it from the marine’s grip. It’s Ridley, who screeches triumphantly at his prize. The crow flies overhead.

Suddenly, we’re in Dracula’s Castle! Bam, Ganondorf’s great sword smashes through a brick wall, sending Simon Belmont flying. Ganondorf grins as he raises his sword in the air, ready to deliver the final blow. Simon furrows his brows, sidesteps the sword, leaps into the air, and swings his whip hard at Ganondorf’s face!

Wait, we’re back at the Monastery! Byleth tightens her grip on her whip-like blade, still in Sheik’s clutches. Suddenly, Byleth grins. She throws the Sword of the Creator aside - throwing Sheik off-balance – before producing the Failnaught. She fires multiple arrows at Sheik, who just barely leaps away from the first few before throwing down a smoke bomb. Byleth’s eyes dart around. Sheik is gone…or is she? Suddenly, we see Sheik had leapt high in the air, gathering her needles before throwing them directly at Byleth.

Kablooey, we’re now in the middle of some great sea! The crow flies down low, and we see one of the Dragon Quest Heroes is slicing through various magical energy projectiles with his blade as he jumps from floating Slime to floating Slime. He leaps high into the air, bringing his sword down hard on…some kind of big water-themed boss…look, I’ve never played Dragon Quest, but I’m sure Akira Toriyama came up with some fun sea monsters.

Anyway!

Suddenly, the music slows down. The fighters all stop fighting and turn to face something offscreen. We see an impossibly tall tower of ash and rock, a mighty figure standing atop. We can’t see who it is, but we can see that he’s holding an enormous, evil sword.

The crow flies overhead, now with a Smash envelope in its beak. It lands on the shoulder of a dark armor. We still do not know who it belongs to.

A twisted claw suddenly extends from the armor and the crow drops the Smash invite into the monster’s palm.

Every swordfighter – including those previously unseen (Young Link, Shulk, Cloud and Sephiroth, etc) – stand in an offensive stance, an army of swords and other such weapons ready to take on whoever this creature is.

A surge of electricity bursts from the envelope, lighting up the dark figure, giving us a better look at his spiked armor, hidden face, and monstrous sword. As the music builds, builds, and builds, we finally get that splash page:

“NIGHTMARE TRANSCENDS SMASH!”

rdftgyh.png

Nightmare isn't even my most wanted, but I just...Bamco is helping with the game, they would have complete access to that music track! We obviously have enough swordies to make this happen! And how could you listen to that score without feeling stupidly hyped?

It...It pains me that this will never happen...

I would fall under "Chill Wanter."
I already got Ridley so I shouldn't complain about newcomers when I got my most wanted character.
When there has been "meh" inclusions (Hero, Min Min, and Steve) and one dud (Byleth), we got plenty of newcomers I enjoyed (or will enjoy once Pyra and Mythra are released) playing (Joker, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Sephiroth.)
I'm also the Chill Wanter. There are a small handful of characters I would be, um...disgruntled to see get in, but for the most part, I'm just excited to see other fandoms get excited for their characters now. I have Banjo and Kazooie, Simon, Sonic, the Duck Hunt dog, Daisy, and even Young Link and Pokemon Trainer back, so...yeah, I'm just waiting for the rest of the sprinkles at this point.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I do hope we get a character from a different genre, but it's not surprising to see JRPGs taking a good quarter of the list. We may have Pokemon, Final Fantasy VII, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Persona and Xenoblade, but good lord, we've hardly even scratched the surface.
We still don't have Tales of, Dark Souls, Phantasy Star, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Ys, Trails, Granblue Fantasy, etc and let's not forget characters from franchises that people have mentioned and wanted a lot like Crono, Isaac from Golden Sun, 2B from Nier and Neku from The World Ends with You.

Like it or not, there are a lot of popular RPGs and JRPGs in general. So it's really not surprising to see a lot of JRPG characters. I understand that it feels like a lot when Fighter Pass 1 had 3 and Fighter Pass 2, so far, has 2. But we've hardly scratched the surface of JRPG characters when there are people who still want Monster Hunter, Lloyd Iriving or Yuri Lowell, Adol Cristin, Sora, Chosen Undead, Crono, Isaac, 2B, Neku, Geno, etc, as well as other Final Fantasy entries like Terra from FFVI or Bartz from FFV.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Considering we don’t have a character that uses an arsenal of guns, aside from the tiny bit that Snake uses, it’s a moveset I’d like to see utilized. Quickly swapping between multiple weapons is the basis of a lot of FPS and some TPS games and it’s an idea I would love to see Sakurai tackle.
Doomslayer would be perfect for this if he ever made it in. I'm more partial to MC generally, but in his games he's only ever using 2 weapons at once so an arsenal moveset feels less fitting for him.

a character that can place thing's down to control an area, like maybe a turret that shoot's something or a shield, and they stay there until destroyed.
On paper this sounds cool, but an auto attacking turret sounds kind of awful to play against. Though Duck Hunt's gunmen act sort of like this.

I would actually like the Mechanic seen by Captain Ginyu in the DBZ: Fighterz game. Mainly, you have one 'main' fighter (Ginyu) and different specials and moves (or in this case, Smash attacks) that utilize other people. This way, it would be 1 fighter, but 'feel' like a group.
Oh nice! Lots of potential here. Something like Wonderful 101 as an entire group could work here. Though I'm gonna go ahead and plug the girls of 765 Production from Idolmaster here as well, because I think that would be hilarious.

It's not really a gimmick, but I want a short weapons user that doesn't rely on projectiles. The only ones we have now are Meta Knight and sorta Ice Climbers. I don't really care for how either of them play, but I like the idea a lot. It could be like Bandana Dee where they have long reach, or they could be more like if Toon Link was balanced for close range instead of projectiles. I'd be happy either way.
Yeah most the shorties tend to be cute mascot type characters that don't hold weapons. Metaknight is kind of unique in this regard.

View attachment 304781
Yeah Icies and Rosa are both very slow feeling. A faster more rushdown oriented partner/puppet character would be nice and I like both your possible candidates for it.

I do hope we get a character from a different genre, but it's not surprising to see JRPGs taking a good quarter of the list. We may have Pokemon, Final Fantasy VII, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Persona and Xenoblade, but good lord, we've hardly even scratched the surface.
We still don't have Tales of, Dark Souls, Phantasy Star, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Ys, Trails, Granblue Fantasy, etc and let's not forget characters from franchises that people have mentioned and wanted a lot like Crono, Isaac from Golden Sun, 2B from Nier and Neku from The World Ends with You.

Like it or not, there are a lot of popular RPGs and JRPGs in general. So it's really not surprising to see a lot of JRPG characters. I understand that it feels like a lot when Fighter Pass 1 had 3 and Fighter Pass 2, so far, has 2. But we've hardly scratched the surface of JRPG characters when there are people who still want Monster Hunter, Lloyd Iriving or Yuri Lowell, Adol Cristin, Sora, Chosen Undead, Crono, Isaac, 2B, Neku, Geno, etc, as well as other Final Fantasy entries like Terra from FFVI or Bartz from FFV.
I think there's something to be said about the general aesthetic of these games though. Like Pokemon is a JRPG but people don't categorize pikachu alongside Fire Emblem/Dragon quest/Xenoblade. That's why I'd be personally pretty happy to see Chosen Undead, 2B, or Neku but would be less thrilled to see Lloyd, Crono, or Adol.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I want a heavy mech character that a featherweight character can eject from.

PLEASE.gif

Back before the Blitzchung controversy, I was obsessed with Overwatch and really wanted to see D.Va get the invite to Smash. I thought about how cool it would be if she started the match as a super heavy, her MEKA moving slow and having to commit to her attacks, but packing an enormous punch.

And because I'm definitely not a game developer who knows how to balance a fighter, I wasn't sure how this would happen, but I loved the idea of her either having the option or being forced out of her mech to fight on foot. She'd become a lot faster and gain a more long-ranging projectile than her mech, but the tradeoff would be that she'd become incredibly light and her attacks wouldn't be nearly as strong.

Fortunately, that kind of gimmick isn't limited to D.Va. It could also be applied to Robotnik or Tron Bonne.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At this point I think someone should just make a separate crossover fighting game specifically for RPGs. It's a big fricking genre, and there's a lot of bases that could be covered with a JRPG-centric fighter that Smash on its own wouldn't be able to with the way it runs things.

Of course, I'm fine with the RPG dudes we get in Smash. I just like the swordies. They're fun.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
A bit late, but pass 2 ratings thus far:

:ultminmin 10/10 Talk about a longshot dream come true. We're talking about a character I litterally named my account after and who's support thread I owned. Min Min was one of my favorite Nintendo characters in recent years, and seeing her make it in over other ARMS characters is crazy. She's my current defacto main and her alone bumped this pass up over the 1st one.

:ultsteve: 10/10 If Min Min was the 5 star meal, Steve was the dessert. My single most wanted third party. I played Minecraft a lot back in the day, and seeing it go from quaint indie game to AAA so massive and influential that it was considered worthy enough for something like Smash is pretty surreal.

:ultsephiroth: 7/10 Would've prefered a new Square IP repped or at the very least a character from a different numbered FF entry, but he's still cool. That being said I was more interested in the much needed FFVII content Sephiroth brought with rather than him as a fighter.

:ultpyra: 7.5/10 I always believed Xenoblade deserved another character just due to how big of a franchise it's gotten, and while I much prefered Elma, I still respect Pyra and Mythra's inclusion. Xenoblade 2 was a pretty huge hit and it made the most sense when selecting another rep for the series. This is also a bump up from Rex, who I was not really looking forward to tbqh. They look fun to use and I'm excited to try em out.

Overall, while I think Pass 1 was more consistent in terms of theming and felt more grandiose in scale, but I think I prefer pass 2 thus far. Min Min and Steve particular really seal the deal, and Sephiroth and Pyra are no real slouches either. Not to mention we still got two characters to go.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
On paper this sounds cool, but an auto attacking turret sounds kind of awful to play against. Though Duck Hunt's gunmen act sort of like this.
i main Min-Min and play a lot of sonic and Hero, people already hate playing against me.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
ahem. A RANGED HEAVY
i don't even care If its the heavy, I just want a heavyweight character that can also zone

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A gameplay archetype I wanna see is someone who takes away their own health in exchange for massive speed and power. No Pichu does not count.
It's a very common trope for "Vampire" or blood-themed characters in fighting games, I find.
1614116261452.png 1614116460687.png 1614116530054.png 1614116708121.png 1614116742107.png 1614116803053.png

Unrelated, but did you know in Shin Megami Tensei III, the Demi-fiend's strongest attacks draw directly from his health bar?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'd like to see a true puppet controller/summoner (we sort of get that with Rosalina/Olimar), something like an SMT rep that can summon demons would be awesome.

Another one that'd be cool would be a fighter that is giant by smash standards. It would be pretty much impossible due to balancing and the nature of Smash Bros gameplay, but it'd be crazy to play as something like pic related.
unnamed.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I want a heavy mech character that a featherweight character can eject from.

View attachment 304792

Back before the Blitzchung controversy, I was obsessed with Overwatch and really wanted to see D.Va get the invite to Smash. I thought about how cool it would be if she started the match as a super heavy, her MEKA moving slow and having to commit to her attacks, but packing an enormous punch.

And because I'm definitely not a game developer who knows how to balance a fighter, I wasn't sure how this would happen, but I loved the idea of her either having the option or being forced out of her mech to fight on foot. She'd become a lot faster and gain a more long-ranging projectile than her mech, but the tradeoff would be that she'd become incredibly light and her attacks wouldn't be nearly as strong.

Fortunately, that kind of gimmick isn't limited to D.Va. It could also be applied to Robotnik or Tron Bonne.
Am I assuming the controversy is what turned you off on D.Va? Not that it means anything, I'm just curious.

To be honest, I never cared for "archetypes" in Smash. I only care if the character is fun to play.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
One character idea that we haven't gotten yet are characters that have a lot of multi-input moves in their normals. Most characters just have a jab, but I think it'd be cool if we had someone who spread that to their tilts and aerials as well for some long, multi-hit combos. There's already some instances of this, such as Meta Knight's forward tilt, Link's forward smash, the Belmont's down tilt, and Bayonetta's forward tilt and aerial. Still, I think it would be cool if we got someone who focused more on this than what we have already.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
For that one twitter post, I think I'm more or less either the Yellow guy or Green guy. There's very few inclusions that'd piss me off. Most of the DLC, hasn't been my "most wanted" but I still liked them a lot. And then there's like 3 really mid characters.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm also late, but I'll do some ratings and give some thoughts on FP2, why not?

:ultminmin - 8.5 / 10

A very odd place to start, but a welcome surprise. With how speculation shifted toward third parties, I unfortunately felt that the era of smaller Nintendo IPs getting characters was coming to a close. With Spring Man in as an AT, it seemed like ARMS may go the way of Isaac or Ray Mk III if it never got a sequel... which would have been a shame given how much it has to offer. Then March came along and blindsided everyone, and I was very happy.

Min Min was the correct choice, and that was obvious from the moment they suggested it could be anyone on the roster - good thing too, she's always been my favorite. Her moveset potential was doubled compared to her contemporaries due to her kicks and her default ARMS all had very clear cut, easy functions for Smash. ARMS in Smash as a mechanic is polarizing to say the least, but they represented it as faithfully as they could. In retrospect I wish there was a bit more variety in her kit, and I don't find her as captivating to play as I had hoped (nor very fun to play against, lmao), but I'm still glad she's here and no matter what anyone says about ARMS I'll stand by it being a great addition to the Smash family.

:ultsteve: - 8 / 10

I'm feeling really positive about Steve today. I've been kinda neutral on him as I have no real attachment to or interest in Minecraft, but with time his niche among the lineup has become more pronounced and easier to admire. Obviously Minecraft has earned its spot in Smash, no doubt about it, but for me it's always been something that lent itself better to non-playable content. Seeing how much love was poured into Steve turned me right around on that opinion though, and looking back I wonder why I felt like that.

Because Steve is in a lot of ways the kind of character I want MORE of in Smash, these goofy abstract concepts built off of games that don't necessarily directly lend themselves to a fighting game moveset. This kind of creativity and the absurdity of having a character like Steve face off against seasoned fighters is to me what Smash is always about and what it should continue to strive to be. His moveset is a little too management based for me to play consistently, but it's also hard not to smile when playing him. More characters like this, honestly.

:ultsephiroth: - 8 / 10

If you had asked me before Sephiroth if I wanted Sephiroth in the game, I'd probably have told you "meh". I haven't played FF7 yet - I'm planning to, but as of that point I had no real attachment toward this character. Once again though, seeing Sephiroth reveal himself and just how flashy and intimidating his moveset was, it's hard not to be endeared by him. It's nice to have another villain in Smash after a stretch of goody-two-shoes characters... really Sephiroth to me is carried by his sheer character. Not to diss some of the others that I genuinely really enjoy, but Smash focusing so hard on the main protagonists, many of which end up being avatar characters, IMO has a tendency to limit the variety of personalities on the roster.

When I play fighting games, I of course want to have fun with a character's gameplay but I also want to connect with that character and appreciate them beyond how they feel to play. Sephiroth won me over the moment I realized that he followed Cloud into Smash just to continue to torment him. He bleeds character, I appreciate that so much. Not to mention that his moveset is just... really cool. His special attacks genuinely feel like boss moves and god I love when villains are designed like that. His One-Winged Angel mechanic is a bit underwhelming but it's at least not annoying or overbearing. Another slam dunk of an inclusion IMO.

:ultpyra: - ???

It's hard to say how I feel about Pyra yet. I don't feel much for their inclusion at face value, but Pyra and Mythra look like they have some REALLY cool moves that I can't wait to try out. Blazing End (how have we not had a proper sword throwing move yet?) and Photon Edge (seriously, how is this one even going to work?) are particularly exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing Sakurai dive into them some more. I also think their inclusion is really smart, I know a lot of people wanted Rex & Pyra but I feel this represents the same blade switching mechanic without the clunky extra steps of doing it alongside a team character. Anyway, I'm optimistic.

Overall this pass has been good. I'm still waiting for a character to really blow me away and appeal to me directly... but I'm losing more and more faith in that happening. Luckily I can find the joy in these characters anyway and I think they've all been top notch choices. I'm sure the remaining two will be no different.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Many many pages ago someone mentioned Roserade as a Pokemon rep they wanted and Toxic Spikes as a move and I think a trap like that sounds really cool. Essentially white Pikmin sitting on the ground.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
One character idea that we haven't gotten yet are characters that have a lot of multi-input moves in their normals. Most characters just have a jab, but I think it'd be cool if we had someone who spread that to their tilts and aerials as well for some long, multi-hit combos. There's already some instances of this, such as Meta Knight's forward tilt, Link's forward smash, the Belmont's down tilt, and Bayonetta's forward tilt and aerial. Still, I think it would be cool if we got someone who focused more on this than what we have already.
In this post, I'll explain why Jin Kazama, using his traditional Karate moveset could do this by having multiple inputs per tilt combo.

You see, Savage Sword could be re-tooled into his forward tilt combo, as well as a two hit down tilt based on his double low kick, and he could have two different jab strings with AAA and AAB one send the enemy flying and the other send the opponent downwards for a ground bounce. This of course doesn't include the Kazama Style 5 hit combo, which could use inputs like ABABA for example. Furthermore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom