• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight is the easiest Mii Costume lol. Just give the Mii's an Updated Assist Trophy Model, add a Music Track, and we're good.
Exactly! Plus swordfighter is currently the only mii without any full costumes.

I still think a Hollow Knight costume by the end is very likely though, considering how well that game performed on the Switch.

I really wish they had gone with the deluxe treatment with every Mii outfit. It still feels wrong to me playing as a Mii in cosplay with the basic ones. I think Disgaea would make for a pretty solid Mii outfit. I could imagine a deluxe Laharl and Etna would look pretty good.
Etna might not be for good boys and girls (then again her outfit is pretty similar to sportswear ZSS) but I could totally see a Prinny costume.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Speaking of Gengar and other random pokemon no one expects for Smash, I have a question for everyone - If the next Smash fighter DLC had to be a Pokemon, but you got to choose which one it was, what Pokemon would you choose?
Primarina all the way! It runs like Squirtle, and is my favorite Pokemon by far!

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean, I think each character so far was done quite well, so year. Its also a good deal

Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. Make a trailer for your most wanted. Here is mine.

The trailer starts off with the old school costumes fighting like in the Smash 64 commercial. Probably with some generic music for obvious reasons. Then, a certain someone interrupts the proceeding fight.

Similar to the Duck Hunt trailer, it transitions then into CGI, and the tagline Crash Bandicoot Crashes the Party! would appear.

Obviously, they might not do a trailer like this and go with something else, but I think this would be a super cool trailer idea.
I think it should start with the Crash Bandicoot costume guy re-doing the Nintendo commercial, with him taking potshots at Mario, only for the Mario costume guy and the other costume characters to actually come out and start duking it out. It then transitions into the game, sort of like how it did with the NES characters and Duck Hunt in Duck Hunt's trailer, only this time it transitions the costume characters into their respective characters, with the Crash Bandicoot guy transitioning into actual Crash Bandicoot. Cue the tagline. The trailer ends with the costume characters and the Crash Bandicoot guy hopping and skipping like in the opening of the Smash 64 commercial.

I just think it would work better like that. Because you can transition into the start. Like imagine just watching a Nintendo Direct with the speaker, only to start hearing the Crash Bandicoot guy suddenly start calling out while the speaker is talking. The speaker gets confused, then transitioning to outside of Nintendo Headquarters with the Crash Bandicoot guy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now that we only have 2 unknown slots for FP2, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Is it not?
Mini Min was really bland
Steve made me regret my purchase
Sephiroth restored my confidence
Pythra looks fun

I'd say I'm still ok with it, personally. If the last two are garbo, like Fortnite Steve & something else stupid like 'Plant' from Plants vs Zombies, then I'd say it wasn't worth getting the pass and I'd wish I would have just cherry picked Pythra & Sephiroth out of it. (Even though I know I never could have done that).

Thing is...worth it or not...I'm a completionist when it comes to Fighting Game Rosters. I can't just not have a character from the roster. Even if nobody ever comes over to play it for parties or I decide to never play the game again, it would bug me to know there was a character missing on the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it should start with the Crash Bandicoot costume guy re-doing the Nintendo commercial, with him taking potshots at Mario, only for the Mario costume guy and the other costume characters to actually come out and start duking it out. It then transitions into the game, sort of like how it did with the NES characters and Duck Hunt in Duck Hunt's trailer, only this time it transitions the costume characters into their respective characters, with the Crash Bandicoot guy transitioning into actual Crash Bandicoot. Cue the tagline. The trailer ends with the costume characters and the Crash Bandicoot guy hopping and skipping like in the opening of the Smash 64 commercial.

I just think it would work better like that. Because you can transition into the start. Like imagine just watching a Nintendo Direct with the speaker, only to start hearing the Crash Bandicoot guy suddenly start calling out while the speaker is talking. The speaker gets confused, then transitioning to outside of Nintendo Headquarters with the Crash Bandicoot guy.
Yeah, I posted this same thing last week. My idea was for it to be a continuation of the Crash commercial and have the Smash 64 commercial Mario come out and they start fighting. Sadly, I don't know how likely that is or how many people these days even remember those commercials lol.

Ivander

Smash Legend
New discussion time! Where do you fall on this line?

Personally, I'm a Chill Wanter. While I have my preferences and there are a few characters I DON'T want, most of the time I'm okay with whoever.
Majorly, the Accepter. That said, there are a couple characters that I feel hesitant on that it moves me slightly to Chill Wanter, but still in Accepter territory.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Now that we only have 2 unknown slots for FP2, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Is it not?
Yeah, it's worth it for me. I never expect my Most Wanted, so I just want more content in general, which is what I got. Only Character here I don't really like that much is Min Min, but that's just a Side Effect of her Game of Origin not being my Cup of Tea. Her other Content is fine though. Steve is extremely impressive, Sephiroth should've been another FF Character not from VII, but for what he is Sephiroth is Fun, and the Content Issue with VII is fixed for now. Pyra and Mythra look cool, but I need to see the Other Content before I judge.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Personally, I'm a Chill Wanter. While I have my preferences and there are a few characters I DON'T want, most of the time I'm okay with whoever.
I'm definitely a Chill Wanter. There are a lot of characters I'd love to see get in but I'm pretty accepting of just about any character.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Chill Wanter. I would like my Most Wanted, but they're never happening, so I just go with the flow.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Thinking about it we went from sword users to swords that look like humans. Obviously the next step is to go further and add Aegislash (a literal sword) lol
This myth is so widespread now it feels borderline pointless to say this but they aren't swords. "Blade" is the name of a special lifeform that inhabits the world of Xenoblade 2. They create their weapons using ether. They aren't swords.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Chill Wanter. I would like my Most Wanted, but they're never happening, so I just go with the flow.
I guess that's one benefit of having a most wanted that is unlikely. We never get our hopes up too much to get disappointed when they don't make it in. I totally feel you on that one.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If it came down to a bloody battle to the last one standing for Capcom's invite im on phoenix's side.
That's not fair. He has the power of law and anime in his side.

So here's a thought.

Let's say that the MonHun costumes skip P/M's presentation

But they also skip CP10's, and unlike say, Square, CP10 isn't a "All costumes must be from the same company", so while we get a few costumes from them, we also get a few, new ones from various other games.

If we're down to CP11 and the MH Miis are still missing, would you bet on them happening, or still doubt it somewhat? Because frankly, if CP10 didn't bring them back, while also not being company-locked for Mii costumes, that would be extremely weird.
If by CP10 the MH costumes do not return, I'd assume CP11 has a high chance to be a Capcom character. Like, imagine if Lloyd's costume returns with Pyra and Mythra. Then CP10's presentation happens and we only get new costumes and the MH ones remain absent. In that scenario I think MH costumes not returning wouldn't imply they're our Capcom character, just that a Capcom character in general is more likely for the last spot.

The only scary thing with each character is the Mii Costumes. Like, I love them, don’t get me wrong but for every wave that releases and Hayabusa isn’t in I do develop a certain sense of anxiety about them. I don’t THINK Hayabusa would be a character they would choose for a Mii but even still I do have this fear.

Love the reveals when it’s characters that are probably never evers getting Mii’d like Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy but damn does it suck when we get someone like Altaïr or Travis.
Same. For example, I don't see them adding Dante as a Mii Costume. In my eyes, he feels like he's in or not at all. But after some people bringing up the possibility of Dante getting a costume, I have started thinking it might be not as unlikely as I thought lol.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think that pass 2 is way better than the first one. Looking back on the first one, there where some choices that made a lot of sense (Hero and Banjo) but some where more random (Joker and Terry). I'm not hating on those characters, I actually like them a lot, but I feel like adding Persona and Fatal fury was kind of weird considering that some more popular rpg and fighting games wasn't represented and had better fan demand (like Tales of or Tekken). Byleth was a pretty bad choice, especially considering the fact that Xenoblade and Arms couldn't make the cut.

I think pass 2 is way better overall because every character make sense (either big Switch games like Arms and Xeno 2, or big games overall like Minecraft and FF7). Just to clarify, I still like pass 1, but for me it just seems like they where trying hard to surprise us but in the end it's a really weird pass. Pass 2 feels more like traditional Smash characters (aside from Steve but I personally think that he fits well).

In the end, I think both pass brings fun moveset, stages and music. I think aside from Byleth (although looking back into it now that Arms and Xeno 2 have better representation It's less frustrating), all choices where great.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I'm a mix between the chill wanter and picky wanter I guess?

I don't expect every character to be a character I care about and can appreciate some characters I am unfamiliar with. That said I'm also able to be disappointed by character additions and not care for certain inclusions too.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I guess that's one benefit of having a most wanted that is unlikely. We never get our hopes up too much to get disappointed when they don't make it in. I totally feel you on that one.
Like, even if a Character is getting really popular in Smash Speculation, I will still continue to deny that that said character is likely.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Hating on Min Min means you're basically insulting me directly
Anyway, this fighters Pass is already 10 times better than the first one for the simple notion that I actually played the games of all the dlc characters here lmao
Also the first FP has nothing against Sephiroth and freaking MINECRAFT STEVE

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Chill Wanter. I'm extremely easy to please, but I've developed some definite wants over time.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

100 percent the accepter, even if i don't like a character i love their inclusion.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright. I've been here (and on YouTube) instead of doing what needs to be done until the last minute for a while now, and with how my fingers are hurting, I'm probably going to seriously injure them if I keep typing so much, so I'm gonna publicly announce a hiatus for me so I can stick with it. See you when my fingers heal I guess.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Min Min is fantastic despite ARMS being mediocre.
Steve made me regret my purchase.
Sephiroth surprised me in that I really enjoy him, I'm second guessing my stance against third parties getting additional reps...
Mythra was my ideal Xenoblade character and she even comes with an extra pair... character.

Since it's the same price as the first pass but with one (technically two) extra character(s), I can just pretend Steve was some **** bonus like the plant, so overall, the quantity of characters is better so far (three winners and one dud VS one winner, one dud, and three mehs) however Banjo was such a homerun that he single-handedly was worth the price of admission for the first pass. Still absolutely worth it unless the last character somehow gets under the bar.

Pillow

Smash Lord
That's not fair. He has the power of law and anime in his side.

If by CP10 the MH costumes do not return, I'd assume CP11 has a high chance to be a Capcom character. Like, imagine if Lloyd's costume returns with Pyra and Mythra. Then CP10's presentation happens and we only get new costumes and the MH ones remain absent. In that scenario I think MH costumes not returning wouldn't imply they're our Capcom character, just that a Capcom character in general is more likely for the last spot.
Tbf, almost all Capcom character have the power of anime.

And yeah even if CP11 is guaranteed to have a Capcom character, it'll still be crazy around here. That is a large vault of exciting characters to pull from.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Let's see...

:ultminmin : I enjoy ARMS and Min Min was my main so I'm happy to have her here.
:ultsteve: : Mostly indifferent to his inclusion but Minecraft is a fun game that I've sunk plenty of hours into throughout the years and it's definitely deserving to be here.
:ultsephiroth: : FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time and Smash was incredibly lacking in substantial content for it, so I'm glad that he rectified this issue and brought a badass moveset with him.
:ultpyra: : My most wanted. I've been advocating for a XC2 character in Smash since the beginning of 2018 and I can't express through text just how thrilled I am that the game was revisited for FP2. Freaking incredible JRPG.

So yeah, I'd say it was an incredibly solid purchase for me.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

I’d say I’m a Chill Wanter. Haven’t gotten a single DLC character I actively wanted, but I’ve liked every fighter we’ve gotten so far. Even the ones that ruined the chances for some of my most wanted characters getting in (Narukami, Kyo, and more recently other Xeno characters).

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Characters I cared about in FP1: :ultbyleth:
Characters I cared about in FP2: :ultminmin:ultsephiroth:

So yeah FP2 already beat out the first pass for me when it was only halfway done.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Fine line between Chill Wanter and Acceptor.

kylexv

Smash Master

Was more of a Neutralist at first, but with me getting most of the fighters I wanted, I'm more of a Chill Wanter that wants a few specific characters (Crash, Eggman, and Dante), characters that I don't have too much attachment to but are really fun to play (Hero was redeemed for me because of this), and characters I feel deserve to be in the game (Most recently this was Pyra, with Isabelle and Min Min filling that role as well).

Branching off to another topic, of course, a couple days after I posted my retrospective on Smash 4's newcomers and ranted about Corrin's inclusion as DLC, Schaffrillas upload a video talking about the state of Fire Emblem reps in Smash and pretty much articulated my thoughts on Fire Emblem in Smash as well as Corrin and Byleth's inclusions perfectly. If you have the time, I would give it a watch.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'll go by character order:

:ultminmin: Most wanted ARMS character... even though I never played it.

:ultsteve:: Was my second most wanted at the time (Shantae is my current most wanted), so overall satisfied (except with one particular alt costume).

:ultsephiroth:: Least favorite reveal trailer of this batch only because of the timing and imagery (lost a relative the day of the reveal so my heart was elsewhere), moveset wise, my personal least favorite but the music and stage are neat.

:ultpyra:: Too early to tell! But looking at the trailer makes me ponder how switching works... ah well it got me back to Xenoblade 2 so its good.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
:ultminmin: eh, I prefer Spring Man.
:ultsteve:: My second most-wanted. I grew up on Minecraft on Xbox. In fact, him and Banjo were the only two characters that I had played their games before they were announced for Smash. I was so optimistic that Geno would get in but...
:ultsephiroth:: He was announced the day before my birthday, and killed my most wanted, Geno. Hey, Geno being a Mii Costume is enough closure for me. He could possibly be pointing to good things for Porky, my third most-wanted.
:ultpyra:: I really didn't want Rex in Smash for some reason, but the inclusion of Pyra and Mythra just confused me. I'll play with them for a few days and probably drop them hard like Min Min.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
This myth is so widespread now it feels borderline pointless to say this but they aren't swords. "Blade" is the name of a special lifeform that inhabits the world of Xenoblade 2. They create their weapons using ether. They aren't swords.
Okay my bad. Though them being called Blades is still kinda funny though ngl

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I'M THE DEMANDER! THIS FIGHTERS PASS DOES NOT MEET MY REQUIREMENTS FOR PURCHASE AND THUS I SHALL SHUN IT!

but I'll buy the characters anyway...

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Steve grew on me immediately, Min Min and the xenoblade people overall i'm ok wth existing. Sephiroth I would would've picked so many other final fantasy characters before him personally, but at least it made for one of the best post-reveal meme periods.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Sepiroth is an anazing inclusion. Hype, but makes sense. Third party, but a link to what’s already in Smash. Relevant, but not an ad. Sword fighter, but with different moves. Unique, but not gimmicky. The moveset never goes overboard, but doesn’t hold back when it can do something extra and new. Hopefully the Aegis can do the same and be a great character to play as, even if their moveset so far is cutting some edges to facilitate the duo mechanic.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wonder how the people who firmly believe series should be represented by their main character / mascot first and foremost feel about the Marvel vs Capcom rosters.
Marvel vs. Capcom is kind of a mess, ngl. But at least it established itself as that mostly from the get-go. When you have Jin Saotome in the first game and freaking Servbot in the second all standards go out the window. But that's kinda bit the series in the ass with 3D development restricting the amount of characters they can put in, and so you get stuff like Mega Man and the Fantastic Four getting snubbed.

While I think that kind of selection works for MvC due to its very focused roster selection (and the fact that Marvel doesn't have a "main character"), with Smash expanding to any videogame they can get their hands on I think it ill-advised not to have some kind of hierarchy.
I didn't buy the Pass and I think I made the right call. So far it's basically the Sephiroth show feat. other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom