• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mii costumes with Pyra/Mythra. Hmm... maybe them?

Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Lora (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
Kalas (Baten Kaitos)

Yeah, heavy focus on Monolith Soft.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm late but hey since I'm here I talk about the new inclusion
Well as someone who has played XC2 I have to say that I am quite happy with Pira / Mithra I have to say that although there was always a possibility of an XC2 character it never seemed very likely to me but I am glad that I was currently wrong, I have to say I not expected the inclusion to be like this I thought that if a XC2 character would enter it would be Rex with Pyra and Mithra concentrating on the driver and blade teamwork and switching between Pyra and Mithra but I'm happy with what we have obtained
So what are your opinions on how this affect the fighters pass and how do you think it will end with 2 third party, 2 first party or one of each?

Last edited:
How about a slight deviation: What are your favorite character designs in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
For me it's Marth, Advent Children Cloud, DQ XI Hero, and Mythra. I think her Smash redesign does wonders.

There are also characters where I really like their animations and that is the visual quality that draw me. Young Link, for example, puts so much oomph into his swings and it just feels good. Dr. Mario has an amazing back-throw. Incineroar is a lot of fun with the extra post-attack animations.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
My issue with Pythra is that "has huge boobs" is a significant part of their design, it's one of the first things you think of when you think of either of them. With most of the male characters people are bringing up, being sexy isn't really a major aspect of the design: Sephiroth's definitely more known for Masamune and his edgy aesthetic, Terry's outfit and ponytail are pretty iconic, etc. So if you're thirsting for one of the male characters, it's more of a side effect of the design. There probably wasn't a design decision to make them sexy, but there probably was for Pyra, and I really don't like that.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Like I said, Pyra and Mythra could've had it much worse. To me, while they do show quite a bit of skin, they still look tame for the most part.
What would you consider a well designed female?
To me, a well-designed female is a character who doesn't need to show a lot of skin to look pretty good. To me, more skin should be a treat, not a necessity. And much like having too much chocolate can make it bitter and take away your enjoyment, the same goes with repeatedly showing too much skin.
And it makes it more bitter when the more skin-showing outfit either:
-has extra or cooler benefits that are only on that outfit while the more formal outfit is stuck with the basic stuff.
-is way too tied to their character that it overshadows their other positives. Like I don't mind characters who take advantage of their sexiness, but you shouldn't let it be the only major trait of theirs.

Basically, to me, a character who looks fantastic with next to no skin showing would be a lunch or supper meal and a swimsuit or sports costume would be a treat.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
How about a slight deviation: What are your favorite character designs in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
From a design standpoint..
Zelda
Pyra
Rosalina
Cloud (SOLDIER)
Link (Champion)
Byleth (female)
Lucina
Corrin (female)
Honestly, with me, its usually that I get attached to a character and than the design grows on me until I adore it. Like I hated Shulk's outfit, but playing through Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is making it grow on me, even if I prefer his Future Connected outfut still.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Now that internet know what is to discuss the designs of Pyra/Mythra. We have been doing that for years, or at least in the early Ultimate speculation period.

Were people this ****** with Bayo? At the least there is more to Pyra/Mythra than sex appeal sheesh

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I just want peeps to talk about them like they are characters and not just walking brests. Thats literaly what 90% of the conversations about those two are, "look boobs"
I completely agree with you. But I must say... that also goes the other way?

Like, maybe is just me, but a lot of the comments I have found on the internet from people who is disappointed about Pyra's & Mythra's reveal were not better

"Oh god, an anime waifu character"
"Those boobs are enormous, weebs will be happy"
"Lol I don't care but I bet hentai artists will have a lot of work in the next days"

And so on. I have seen a good amount of comments like that, and not precisely from people who are super happy with Pyra & Mythra. So I'd say some people use also their sexuality to make fun of the character or the people who's excited with their addition, and if you ask me they're not being better than the fans who see Pyra and Mythra as walking breasts.

Those critics are being hypocrital in the end. They make fun of a character because big boobs or whatever, but in the end they're also just looking at the surface and judging the characters with a quick look.

On top of that, Pyra's and Mythra's redesigns in Smash are not that lewd. Or maybe is just me? Pyra has not changed much, that is true, but Mythra is practically fully covered. So I don't know, sometimes the people that is like "oh my god you anime fans are so thirsty" are the first ones who seem to not see anything more than boobs.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Now that internet know what is to discuss the designs of Pyra/Mythra. We have been doing that for years, or at least in the early Ultimate speculation period.

Were people this ****** with Bayo? At the least there is more to Pyra/Mythra than sex appeal sheesh
...But Bayo has a lot of personality outside of her sex appeal. In fact, that's her entire schtick.

While we're on the topic of visual design, are there any characters you guys would like to see in Smash, solely because you like the way they look without ever having played their games?

I personally really like both Zero and...Zero despite having never played either of their games.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
...But Bayo has a lot of personality outside of her sex appeal. In fact, that's her entire schtick.

While we're on the topic of visual design, are there any characters you guys would like to see in Smash, solely because you like the way they look without ever having played their games?

I personally really like both Zero and...Zero despite having never played either of their games.
I never played summer wars, but sakura's design was nice.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Technically this was me with Black Mage before I started playing Final Fantasy (haven't played FF9 yet though I have it on my Switch now, Vivi looks cool too though tbh I kinda like the simpler Black Mage design more however Vivi sounds cool as a character from what I've read).

Also with Slime from Dragon Quest; I've only played the DQ11 Switch demo.

edit: I guess I was also this way with Geno before I played SMRPG and learned more about him.

Last edited:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, hard question time since we have so many options to choose from...

Banjo-Kazooie comes first, 2 great designed characters in one, it’s a fricking Bear and a bird for god’s sake, Banjo has a “Banjo” and I love musical instruments, Kazooie have more personality in my opinion but they are both great.

Hero is easy for me, it was my 1# requested character and I love the whole idea of you being chosen to save the world, I know the same thing happens in almost any other game series including Zelda, but none of those speaks more to me than Dragon quest, I think they take this whole concept in a new kind of level, the music really touches me even though it’s only midi, and the characters sound so pure and innocent that I just wanna hug them all xD

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well I'm late but hey since I'm here I talk about the new inclusion
Well as someone who has played XC2 I have to say that I am quite happy with Pira / Mithra I have to say that although there was always a possibility of an XC2 character it never seemed very likely to me but I am glad that I was currently wrong, I have to say I not expected the inclusion to be like this I thought that if a XC2 character would enter it would be Rex with Pyra and Mithra concentrating on the driver and blade teamwork and switching between Pyra and Mithra but I'm happy with what we have obtained
So what are your opinions that this affected the fighters pass and do you think it ends with 2 third party, 2 first party or one of each
I think the general consensus is that not much has changed. The only real impact is that DLC Mii Costumes do, in fact, deconfirm, with a possibility of base game Mii Costumes and Assist Trophies also deconfirming, though that one's less certain.

As for how I think the rest of the pass will go, one more third party and one more first party. I'm basing that on how these DLC sessions usually go. I'll admit, I can't really decide who the third party would be (though if it's a Western character, it's Crash or no one), but I actually think Euden has a good chance of being the first party. Feels like the kind of first party character Nintendo would end on...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, with me, its usually that I get attached to a character and than the design grows on me until I adore it.
That might be why I like Incineroar so much. I'm pretty sure I originally preferred Decidueye, and Incineroar with fur is a lot weirder than you'd expect.

While we're talking design, here's a hot take:
Min Min's design is a jarring mess.
Visual design? I dunno. I think it works. I could see one not liking the color scheme though. She does have quite a bit of them, and one of them is yellow green, which is imo the grossest color in existence (though it doesn't always look bad).

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Bayonetta. She's proportional here unlike in her actual games.

Shirtless Sephiroth, Joker with the Akechi Phantom Thief outfit alt, and the white tux version of his school uniform too.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
I don't agree. I actually think it's one of the best designs Nintendo has offered in this generation.
Just to clarify. Conceptually, it's a cool design, with a lot of interesting ideas.
Visually however, it just clashes terribly.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Bayonetta is a funny case as though she is sexual, she seems like a good way to do it to some as she's always the one in control in such situations and has a firm graph of her sexuality. Some see her as a very female empowerment/reclaiming female sexuality figure while some..don't.
Being a character designed by a woman kinda helps her case too.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
That might be why I like Incineroar so much. I'm pretty sure I originally preferred Decidueye, and Incineroar with fur is a lot weirder than you'd expect.
Yeah Incineroar was one of the few characters I did a complete 180 on after seeing them in Smash. I absolutely hated the way he looked all through Gen 7 Pokemon, which I played a lot. He just moves and animates so well in Smash.

Bayonetta is a funny case as though she is sexual, she seems like a good way to do it to some as she's always the one in control in such situations and has a firm graph of her sexuality. Some see her as a very female empowerment/reclaiming female sexuality figure while some..don't.
Bayonetta is a very obvious parody of oversexualized female characters in video games. This character performs this role ludicrously well.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
It is all Subjective. I agree. The best designs play to the character and their persona, and not the audience. Cheap pandering, while fun, does not make an excellent character.
I think eye candy is perfectly fine for a good design

Most great female designs are being designed by what the character designer finds hot/appealing/sexy like Chun Li or Selvaria.
They're popular for a reason.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Never understood the complaints about Bayo tbh. She owns that ****, and is in charge of herself in every manner possible.

What is the counter argument for that?

While I prefer Sephiroth in a trench coat, I do like how shirtless Sephiroth is like the end fights of certain movies where all bets are off and they're ready to throw down.
It seems more fitting that he's fighting shirtless, and I don't mean that for thirst reasons. It seems cumbersome fighting with the huge trench coat on.

Plus, they designed him in a way that isn't way too buff, or too slender. They did a great job.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, Lloyd's gonna die come the Pyra/Mythra presentation.

Just my gut feeling, really.

Namco costumes are tossed in more or less to fill a space, but at the same time, there seems to be a bit of "logic" behind them.

Heihachi came with Min Min, both characters from 3D Fighting games.

Gil came with Steve, both characters who basically upgrade their equipment(Hell, one of Gil's important items is a Pickaxe)

And as the cherry on top, what better costume to toss in with the 2 Blades, than the dude who dual wields 2 blades?

I'm slightly taking the piss here, but tbh, I expect Lloyd to return to Mii very soon.
*sad Lloyd fan noises

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Bayonetta is a funny case as though she is sexual, she seems like a good way to do it to some as she's never the victim and has a firm graph of her sexuality. Some see her as a very female empowerment/reclaiming female sexuality figure while some..don't.
I personally like how Bayonetta adds some nuance to the whole sexy shtick by not having it be about large boobs and butts. Aside from how her powers work, it's pretty much just her flirty personality, and even then her powers fit in with said personality perfectly.

And of course, I'm sure her personality is much deeper than I describe. I only have that surface level knowledge of it.

EDIT: I think my favorite scene that I've seen of her is one where someone tries to stab her with a spear and she dodges, and then dances on it because why not?

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think eye candy is perfectly fine for a good design

Most great female designs are being designed by what the character designer finds hot/appealing/sexy like Chun Li or Selvaria.
They're popular for a reason.
They are. But i would argue Chun li's design helps inform us about her character, her play style and her heritage. It all meshes together into an informative character. Helps also that she has a personality also.

Pillow

Smash Lord
It seems more fighting that he's fighting shirtless, and I don't mean that for thirst reasons. It seems cumbersome fighting with the huge trench coat on.

Plus, they designed him in a way that isn't way too buff, or too slender. They did a great job.
The fact that I can play as shirtless Sephiroth but not shirtless Villager just means there's no justice to be found in this cruel world.

Polan

Smash Lord
of course i dont subscribe to that bs "monsters are the real stars" that people like trotting out against the hunter and i strongly believe that there was an attempt to add a hunter to the base game that fell apart due to time constraints and "everyone is here". guess it could have also been weird company politics as well but aside from that there's no real good arguments against the hunter so they are undeniably in.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
of course i dont subscribe to that bs "monsters are the real stars" that people like trotting out against the hunter and i strongly believe that there was an attempt to add a hunter to the base game that fell apart due to time constraints and "everyone is here". guess it could have also been weird company politics as well but aside from that there's no real good arguments against the hunter so they are undeniably in.
Not going to say they're undeniably in, but if the costumes are missing from the Pyra/Mythra presentation, it's gonna be hella suspicious.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Bayonetta is a very obvious parody of oversexualized female characters in video games. This character performs this role ludicrously well.
Yes she does, much like Dante was a parody of the cool, over the top action characters..which Bayonetta is as well lol
monster hunter music being listed internally alongside franchises with playable characters
Ah, right, I forgot. That may have been the plan, but the MonHun team is a weird bunch and I think I recall them saying no to Hunter being in MvC3 but were okay with MvCI.
I personally like how Bayonetta adds some nuance to the whole sexy shtick by not having it be about large boobs and butts. Aside from how her powers work, it's pretty much just her flirty personality, and even then her powers fit in with said personality perfectly.

And of course, I'm sure her personality is much deeper than I describe. I only have that surface level knowledge of it.

EDIT: I think my favorite scene that I've seen of her is one where someone tries to stab her with a spear and she dodges, and then dances on it because why not?
Yeah, she's great but isn't too bad at more serious or heartfelt parts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom