• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I just want peeps to talk about them like they are characters and not just walking brests. Thats literaly what 90% of the conversations about those two are, "look boobs"
Tbf, appearance is the most important thing for Smash. The game as a whole could do a lot better job of showing off the personalities of its many notable characters. Stuff like more voice lines and specific character interactions could go a long way, imo. You really only see any of it through stage codex conversations.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
My current theory is that Pyra/Mythra were originally going to end FP2 but they decided against it due to all the backlash Byleth got. I'm still expecting another western pick and fighting character to mirror Banjo & Terry as the next two fighters.
It's always tradition to end Smash on something less hype. And considering how much XC2 sold and how there was more demand for more XC reps than FE, I don't see them as being intended as a lowkey finale.

Pillow

Smash Lord
It's always tradition to end Smash on something less hype. And considering how much XC2 sold and how there was more demand for more XC reps than FE, I don't see them as being intended as a lowkey finale.
People say this, but Bayonetta was still a highly requested, hyped character that people were excited for. The hype for her only died down when people realized what a disgusting character she was, gameplay wise. There are degrees of excitement characters can bring. Maybe we won't get another Steve, but Smash Ultimate can still end strong even if it peaked with Steve.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yep, that can also include characters like Crash who don't speak much at all to begin with. That, or you have characters like Amaterasu who don't speak at all, but just have generic wolf/dog sound effects.
Crash definitely needs “WOAH!” as well as that damn annoying drowning sound that enrages me every time I hear it.

Yeah, as much as I thought "Of course Pyra has a spine. She needs it to hold up her-In this episode..." was hilarious, this bothers me immensely.

Watch that scene where Pyra threatens to annihilate herself, and convinces the bad guys that she can actually do this, if they don't let her friends go and tell me she has no merit other than boobs.
I do think her story is comparatively subtle, and that doesn't help the situation. Also, Rex is dense and doesn't notice a lot of it, so the player doesn't get as much feedback about what's going on with her. There's really good mirroring between the characters. You have to pay attention, though.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I think Elma is dead but Kos-Mos still has a shot. This all depends on if Kos-Mos gets a mii(which is likely) or they decide to make her xc2 appearance a spirit. Elma though I don't really think will happen unless there's a new X related Xenoblade or they make a xenoblade warriors. I have a feeling Elma was considered for dlc but was overshined by XC2 characters. Also the possibility of xcx music coming with pyra/mythra.

I would start thinking of Elma as a possibility when an x port is announced so like summer 2021 at the earliest and middle 2022 as the latest which is based on monolith soft saying in late 2018 an X port is too expensive. An X port is probably in development rn due to the sales of DE and 2.

I am going to wish you the best of luck that both of those happen at the perfect time lol
really hate to be this person but

Harada's "market research" has shown that non-AAA RPG game's can't sell more than 1mil and that Xeonsaga wouldn't be successful on the switch which is obviously bull**** but Harada's in charge of the franchise so he get's Final say in what happens to it.

if you want any character which Harada, Nagoshi and Kondo have a part in the negotiations i wouldn't hold out hope for them.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I don't think Nintendo cares about Byleth's backlash that much.

And even if they did, that's the wrong lesson to take from it.

People overall are still pretty positive to Pyra and Mythra.
Yeah but my point is people would be a whole lot less positive about it if it was the final character after the expectation that we were only getting third party characters had been made(rightfully so or not) to the

I agree it was tradition, but the first time it actually faced terrible backlash was with Byleth, and I think Nintendo is trying to correct that with this pass. The very fact they created a smash ballot means that they are interested in listening to the community. And I do see Pyra/Mythra as being low-key characters, considering the hype around this reveal is far less than what was around Steve and Sephiroth. But honestly that would be true for almost any first party reveal I think

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If only that was the basis of the friction. Alas, it's resetera.

I wonder how many people were banned for thirsting when Sephiroth took his shirt off. None, would be my guess. >_>
Geez ResetEra is stupid, like yeah if they're being stupid amounts of perverted and actually objectifying then sure, give 'em a ban or warning, but just thinking someone is attractive isn't objectifying lol it's only if all you care about is looks and treat 'em as if they're inferior etc./trying to force things and all that rude, immoral stuff.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
"No not that one. The one I want!"

The fact that there was a group of people mad at Min Min because she "wasn't a minority like Twintelle" despite being a minority character is probably the funniest pocket of "controversy" I've seen.
I'm not trying to undermine your point, because I think it's a good one, but isn't Chinese the plurality ethnic group worldwide?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf, appearance is the most important thing for Smash. The game as a whole could do a lot better job of showing off the personalities of its many notable characters. Stuff like more voice lines and specific character interactions could go a long way, imo. You really only see any of it through stage codex conversations.
I'd love to see them implement Support to Hearts as a Challenge reward or something. There are so many amazing conversations that could be had. Like:
  • Fox helps a grieving Lucas feel just a bit better using what he learned from his father's death.
  • Shulk and Lucina talk about the struggles of changing the future.
  • Pit walks in, talking to Link, says something along the lines of "oh yeah, I forgot you don't talk much", rants anyway, figures out the solution to his problem on his own, then thanks Link for being a good listener and runs off.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'm going to be crazy and walking on a Minefield, probably the only thing I'll say on the matter, but...Y'know that women can be pretty, AND strong, AND be happy to be pretty AND Strong...Right? :bobomb:
You're in the wrong place my dude. This is the Smash community. We hate women, anime and showers.

Well as a “Gay” person, I think they are good design wise in both areas, such aesthetics and writing. lol
...why did you put "gay" in quotation marks?

I'd love to see them implement Support to Hearts as a Challenge reward or something. There are so many amazing conversations that could be had. Like:
  • Fox helps a grieving Lucas feel just a bit better using what he learned from his father's death.
  • Shulk and Lucina talk about the struggles of changing the future.
  • Pit walks in, talking to Link, says something along the lines of "oh yeah, I forgot you don't talk much", rants anyway, figures out the solution to his problem on his own, then thanks Link for being a good listener and runs off.
This would be cool. But they don't even need to go that far. They literally just need to have a crapton more voice lines for all their characters. Games like DoTA 2 do this very well.

But sure, I'd take a fully integrated "support" system like Fire Emblem attached to World of Light.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Isnt the most important thing for smash is if they are, idk, a good character? They can look as ugly as a moldy tomato but that wont stop Sakurai from making them a good well balanced character. Now, im pretty sure the new characters are gonna be good but for god sakes people,they arent just walking ****

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
But once you start to do that:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There's no winning with some people. At least when people **** on Rex they try to be kind of funny.
Tell me about it..I hate these types of people..I've had these people call me a 'fake girl/fake trans girl' for liking sexy characters. The amount of crap I get for liking characters like Tharja & Camilla in Fire Emblem..people always try to claim it's for perverted reasons only..like, no, even if its partially for their designs, that's never the only reason and stating people only like them for their designs is ironically more sexist if you ask me because it is literally refusing to look beyond just their appearances and saying their only value is as sexual fan service.

Sorry for the rant, but I have put up with this crap for ages..for liking characters like Tifa Lockhart, Yuna (X & X-2), Morrigan Aensland, Chun-Li, Dizzy (Guilty Gear), Tharja, Camilla, Corrin f, Byleth f, Pyra, and more..its beyond annoying..

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Isnt the most importsnt thing for smash is if they are, idk, a good character? They can look as ugly as a moldy tomato but that wont stop Sakurai from making them a good well balanced character. Now, im pretty sure the new. Haracters are gonna be good but for god sakes people,they arent just walking ****
Characters aren't just functions. Especially in a crossover fighter.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Isnt the most importsnt thing for smash is if they are, idk, a good character? They can look as ugly as a moldy tomato but that wont stop Sakurai from making them a good well balanced character. Now, im pretty sure the new. Haracters are gonna be good but for god sakes people,they arent just walking ****
Sure. I thought what you meant by "character" was stuff like their quirks and personalities and not their moveset. I was mostly just trying to say that Smash does a bad job of conveying the personalities of its characters, but does a very good job of showing off their aesthetic.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do think her story is comparatively subtle, and that doesn't help the situation. Also, Rex is dense and doesn't notice a lot of it, so the player doesn't get as much feedback about what's going on with her. There's really good mirroring between the characters. You have to pay attention, though.
The freaking pointless sleepwalking scene doesn't help either. Neither does Torra, but that's a separate issue.

I'm not trying to undermine your point, because I think it's a good one, but isn't Chinese the plurality ethnic group worldwide?
No freaking clue. All I know is that they seem to be a minority in the U.S. At least, that's what I hear. I am admittedly pretty out of touch with the outside world.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Tell me about it..I hate these types of people..I've had these people call me a 'fake girl/fake trans girl' for liking sexy characters. The amount of crap I get for liking characters like Tharja & Camilla in Fire Emblem..people always try to claim it's for perverted reasons only..like, no, even if its partially for their designs, that's never the only reason and stating people only like them for their designs is ironically more sexist if you ask me because it is literally refusing to look beyond just their appearances and saying their only value is as sexual fan service.

Sorry for the rant, but I have put up with this crap for ages..for liking characters like Tifa Lockhart, Yuna (X & X-2), Morrigan Aensland, Chun-Li, Dizzy (Guilty Gear), Tharja, Camilla, Corrin f, Byleth f, Pyra, and more..its beyond annoying..
I actually agree with this too. They are the ones sexualizing/fetishizing the characters and not you. It's annoying to the point where I have to say I hate pyra and mythra because people always accuse me of stuff because i like XC2. This was super common with those xenoblade 1 elitists lmao.

Im gonna get back on topic now lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This would be cool. But they don't even need to go that far. They literally just need to have a crapton more voice lines for all their characters. Games like DoTA 2 do this very well.
That would be cool too. It's kind of silly that the amount of cross series interactions between characters can be counted on one hand.

Normal character interactions can probably be counted on both hands too, so yeah. More of those would be good.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
You're in the wrong place my dude. This is the Smash community. We hate women, anime and showers.

...why did you put "gay" in quotation marks?

But sure, I'd take a fully integrated "support" system like Fire Emblem attached to World of Light.
Idk, I was just referring to myself, hope it wasnt an issue, geez people those days man.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
TBH, including KOS-MOS in the same pass with Pyra/Mythra would kinda be like if they included Dixie Kong with Banjo-Kazooie in FP1. Like sure, three of them are owned by Nintendo while the other two are third party, but they're basically spirtually connected and generally appeal to the same demographics, if you get what I'm saying. Banjo-Kazooie is practically a backdoor DK spinoff and Dixie is in a similar category of being a 90s nostalgic Rare character, while Xenoblade basically carries the torch from Xenosaga.

All I'm saying is that I imagine Nintendo probably doesn't want too much overlap with each new DLC fighter in each pass. And I think Pyra/Mythra more or less cover the same audience that'd be interested in KOS-MOS, much more so considering how way more popular Xenoblade is.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Wait. Since when have people considered Yuna to be an overly sexualized character? Her base outfit is about as modest as it gets for a JRPG girl.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I just recently rewatched the trailer and i'd say Pyra moves like rex, the way she does things such as smash attacks and those tilts. Also Rex is just as acrobatic as pyra but I don't feel like digging up all the cutscenes and making them into gifs to prove my point.

im talking about cutscene rex lol not gameplay rex. Since pyra/mythras moveset is mostly cutscene based, rex would be at the same speed and level as pyra/mythra plus he could use all of their moves like foresight which he cannot use in game. Most of their moves i have seen rex perform alongside them

im gonna disagree, Rex can't do some of the cray handstand's and acrobatics pyra can do.

he wouldn't have any of mytha'rs multihit or projectile moves unless he learns how to teleport or float either.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Since X-2
But these are video game characters. You'd be hard pressed to find a single notable female character that didn't have some sort of sexy outfit or costume at some point or another. I'm pretty sure even Princess Peach has appeared in a bathing suit in an official Nintendo game at some point or another.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, Pyra and Mythra have this whole subtle depression thing going on, like why they want to go to Elysium so badly in the first place is incredibly sad. As someone that suffers from depression but tries to always be the happy girl that helps and cheers on others, Pyra became one of the most relatable characters I've ever seen.
Wait. Since when have people considered Yuna to be an overly sexualized character? Her base outfit is about as modest as it gets for a JRPG girl.
Because of her slightly exposed bra strap in FFX and her outfit(s) in X-2, which is my fav look for her aesthetically due to the hairstyle mostly..aside from the long ponytail braid thing that she somehow grew in 2 years time.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Physical appearance is always the most prominent thing when it comes to character design so I’m not surprised people have come to the point where talking about the physical attributes of Pyra and Mythra have become the most common discussion around the community.

However, there is a bit of a double standard going on but also kind of not? It’s weird because I remember in Smash 4 after the announcement of Ike’s new design from Radiant Dawn making it in people were thirsting over how ripped he was, then Cloud came out and everyone talked about how hot he was, then Sephiroth came out and the same thing happened there. I guess the point of contention there is that near all the discussion surrounding Pyra/Mythra is that single attribute and the memes that come with it. I dunno though because people thirsting over Ike’s muscles doesn’t seem that much different than people memeing Pyra/Mythra’s breasts. Maybe that’s just me though.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Pillow

Smash Lord
Physical appearance is always the most prominent thing when it comes to character design so I’m not surprised people have come to the point where talking about the physical attributes of Pyra and Mythra have become the most common discussion around the community.

However, there is a bit of a double standard going on but also kind of not? It’s weird because I remember in Smash 4 after the announcement of Ike’s new design from Radiant Dawn making it in people were thirsting over how ripped he was, then Cloud came out and everyone talked about how hot he was, then Sephiroth came out and the same thing happened there. I guess the point of contention there is that near all the discussion surrounding Pyra/Mythra is that single attribute and the memes that come with it. I dunno though because people thirsting over Ike’s muscles doesn’t seem that much different than people memeing Pyra/Mythra’s breasts. Maybe that’s just me though.
The biggest reason people bring it up so much for Pyra/Mythra I think is mostly due to them being relatively unknown characters outside of their fanbase. An outsider unfamiliar with Xenoblade sees the trailer, and the first thing they'll think of is anime boobs. If we got a different hot anime girl like Chun-Li, I doubt people would be discussing her boobs as much just because she's a character so many people are already familiar with.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Americans angry over things Japan finds the norm, more at this at 11, now back to you, Charlotte.
America, Japan, why do they get so much focus all the time? Yeah big markets, sure. And Nintendo is Japanese and all...

But nobody ever asks what Africa wants.

Considering Terry was pretty much the Latin American pick, I do wonder what other, lesser vocal parts of the world would want honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom