• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Anyway, Lloyd's gonna die come the Pyra/Mythra presentation.

Just my gut feeling, really.

Namco costumes are tossed in more or less to fill a space, but at the same time, there seems to be a bit of "logic" behind them.

Heihachi came with Min Min, both characters from 3D Fighting games.

Gil came with Steve, both characters who basically upgrade their equipment(Hell, one of Gil's important items is a Pickaxe)

And as the cherry on top, what better costume to toss in with the 2 Blades, than the dude who dual wields 2 blades?

I'm slightly taking the piss here, but tbh, I expect Lloyd to return to Mii very soon.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's just not many big 1st party characters Nintendo would want to push for in Smash at this point. The most feasible options are, in my opinion, an 8th gen pokemon (which would have a very negative reception) and Howard from Astral Chain (since Nintendo seems to like pushing Switch IP's).
I mean, yeah, the feasible options can probably be counted on one hand. But conversely, people also said the same thing before Min Min and Pyra/Mythra, so...

I expect Lloyd to return to Mii
Reject playable status, return to Mii

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just came here to say goodbye to everyone see you all in Smash 6 it was nice talking to at least the majority of you and your all awesome
I didn't know you too well but take care man, see you when Smash 6 comes around.

Take care and stay safe in the world right now. We'll all get through this together.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Namco costumes are tossed in more or less to fill a space, but at the same time, there seems to be a bit of "logic" behind them.

Gil came with Steve, both characters who basically upgrade their equipment(Hell, one of Gil's important items is a Pickaxe)

And as the cherry on top, what better costume to toss in with the 2 Blades, than the dude who dual wields 2 blades?

I'm slightly taking the piss here, but tbh, I expect Lloyd to return to Mii very soon.
Yeah, Lloyd's super dead now.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah, he'd be divisive at worst. There's the Hat Goomba argument and the last character status putting a target on his back, but he's also highly requested and has a strong support base by his side. Not an exact example, obviously, but SourceGaming's 2019 Mega Poll had him place 2nd after Banjo, and last year's poll had him in 9th, the highest-ranking first-party in both scenarios and the only one in the top ten for the latter. For every detractor, there would be at least four supporters.

On that note, SourceGaming's gonna do that poll again this year, right? Wonder how that's gonna turn out. Man, I remember when the results first rolled in...
If I had to guess the results

-Crash will stay Number one
-Rex & Pyra and Steve will fall because they are in (well not really Rex, but you know)
-All Square characters and Microsoft characters will fall in position
-Geno will Fall
-Heihachi will Fall
-Travis will fall
-Doomguy will fall
-KOS-MOS will Fall from Top 50
-Bomberman will fall from Top 50
-Eggman will rise
-Chun-Li will rise
-Heavy will rise
-Monster Hunter will rise
-Ryu will rise
-Sol will rise

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

This is how we can determine who one of the last two characters could be based on Monster Hunter Mii returning.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, yeah the feasible options can probably be counted on one hand. But conversely, people also said the same thing before Min Min and Pyra/Mythra, so...
I'm not sure about Min Min, but people thought Rex was very likely to come in FP2 before yesterday. We got Pyra instead, but she pretty much fits all the same reasons people expected Rex. Of course, we're just fans kept in the dark. We can be wrong. But I'm just not expecting another 1st party.

I have the same feelings about Lloyd, mostly because Sakurai has expressed his awareness of the criticism of anime sword overrepresentation. He really likes to make his fighters stand out, and as beloved as Lloyd is, I can't really see him bringing any mechanic that would ignite Sakurai's interest (yes yes, I know he has two swords).

People always bring up Smash 4 DLC as a comparison. While Corrin and Bayo have mixed reception as characters, their movesets are undeniably very unique (Bayo especially). Our last 2 characters will be wild.

Maybe there's some 2021 first party games yet to be unveiled (I don't want to think that Pokémon is the only thing Nintendo has to offer for the second half of this year, otherwise I'd be completely disappointed with Nintendo) and we'll learn about those games in the next big Direct, which I guess will take place around June/E3 season.
I don't think we've gotten a first party character without having several months pass since their initial release (Fates was out about half a year in Japan before Corrin got in). That's what's so baffling about this thought to me. I always assumed we'd probably get a pick from a new Nintendo game, but at this point the last character will probably be released around September. There just isn't time for the new games to be announced and released and still be out for a few months. By the time the next batch of announcements happens we'll be about two months out from the final fighter.

I don't know what to think about that last spot anymore. I'm inclined to think that if it's first party it will be something like Bandana Dee, where the character isn't tied to a specific game but could be paired with a new game if it happened.

Shroob

Sup?
This is how we can determine who one of the last two characters could be based on Monster Hunter Mii returning.
Depends entirely if the Monster Hunter costumes come back.

While it wouldn't be a 100% confirmation, it would be odd for them to both skip 2 characters that they could have easily launched with(Steve and P/M), AND the release date for Rise.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm really starting to wonder if we will get any of the top predicted characters by the time pass 2 ends.
Technically, People were spot on about Xenoblade 2 getting a character, just wrong way of implementation

Pyra/Mythra is the Hero of this pass, where people expected them in, just didn't guess correctly how they'd be implmentated, though unlike with Hero, there were no need for Leaks for people this time

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't know what to think about that last spot anymore. I'm inclined to think that if it's first party it will be something like Bandana Dee, where the character isn't tied to a specific game but could be paired with a new game if it happened.
Watch as Nintendo announces a Kirby spinoff that's a horror mystery visual novel puzzle game starring Bandana Dee.

I'm really starting to wonder if we will get any of the top predicted characters by the time pass 2 ends.
Pyra was a top predicted character. It's just she was predicted to be a pair with Rex and not with Mythra.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Pyra’s thighs got censored too and I actually like her better now
I also think their new "censorships" are actually improvements. aesthetically those mythra leggings do wonder to the design.. and pyra costume also looks a little more confortable.

BTW.. do you guys think that P&M are the Banjo Kazooie of this pack? heavily requested character which wont be groundbreaking except for the already xenoblade and smash fans?

still, at least P&M still have a shill faactor in that XBC2 is still a switch game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nah, you forget about that short little time frame between Incineroar/Ken/Plant's reveal and Joker's reveal, a ton of people were vocally enthusiastic about a 3 Houses rep. It wasn't until Joker changed everything we thought we knew about the DLC that people stopped hoping for th
Were they actually that heavily requested, or just heavily predicted?
You're vastly overrating Bandana Dee's popularity. His situation is the reverse of what you claim, he's mostly popular on dedicated fan sites like here and is less popular among the general Smash community. The reception would be mixed, at best.
Except for the fact he has always done well in every major fan-poll between 2018 and now which are the closest things we have to gauging the opinion of the general Smash fanbase. Even if you disregard those polls as irrelevant and unreliable, BanDee himself has still been popular enough outside the context of Smash that even Nintendo called him a long time fan favourite and unlike Byleth does not have the “overrepresented” argument (which is the main reason why Byleth got that bad a reception) going against him. He will absolutely have a better reception, just like with Min Min.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not only is Lloyd a jrpg character that suits the jrpg theme (and this time there is no square making sure all mii costumes in the presentation belong to them) but there is also the potential monolith - namco connection. If his costume doesn't come back now either he's in or I'll start questioning what the hell they are holding him back for.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think this wave will be make-or-break for Lloyd, more than ever. It seems that all eyes are on him; Returning Miis, the spread of Bamco's Miis, and the two-blade action-RPG fighter matching up with him.

Of course, if Monster Hunter comes back in this pass instead, then the next wave will be even more of a make-or-break. And if he's somehow still a no-show after that, it'll be the last pack, which will be a make-or-break for everyone.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like Bandana Dee would be a perfect horror foil to Luigi in that he'd be super chill about everything.
He actually has expressed alarm where others didn't, namely with Magolor's ascension in RtDL and Dedde's challenge in Battle Royale. Still, given the usual stuff that goes in in Pop Star, his own insecurities would probably be the scariest thing for him.

He actually has expressed alarm where others didn't, namely with Magolor's ascension in RtDL and Dedde's challenge in Battle Royale. Still, given the usual stuff that goes in in Pop Star, his own insecurities would probably be the scariest thing for him.
So he's sensible. The more I hear, the more I'm down for this idea.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Except for the fact he has always done well in every major fan-poll between 2018 and now which are the closest things we have to gauging the opinion of the general Smash fanbase. Even if you disregard those polls as irrelevant and unreliable, BanDee himself has still been popular enough outside the context of Smash that even Nintendo called him a long time fan favourite and unlike Byleth does not have the “overrepresented” argument (which is the main reason why Byleth got that bad a reception) going against him. He will absolutely have a better reception, just like with Min Min.
Only fans who care enough about this sort of thing participate in fan polls - which is a very small fraction of the Smash playerbase. That said, I never stated he was unpopular or anything. His reception would be fine if he was announced at the beginning of the pass, just like Min-Min. But if he was the last fighter for this game? All the salt people had that their character didn't make it in would be aimed at Waddle Dee, because all hope dies when they announce the end of dlc development.

I also think their new "censorships" are actually improvements. aesthetically those mythra leggings do wonder to the design.. and pyra costume also looks a little more confortable.

BTW.. do you guys think that P&M are the Banjo Kazooie of this pack? heavily requested character which wont be groundbreaking except for the already xenoblade and smash fans?

still, at least P&M still have a shill faactor in that XBC2 is still a switch game.
A lot of people have been praising her Smash design, but I'm not a fan. I don't hate it or anything, but she still looks simultaneously over and underdressed to me. I hope she gets an alternative costume that looks more sensible, I'd even take a swimsuit because at least then her decision to show off skin would make sense to me.

Shroob

Sup?
If Monster Hunter Mii costumes are still MIA after the P/M presentation

Well, I can already see what'll happen lol.

The thought process of "This pass is going back to work on things passed over!" alongside the fact that from a marketing perspective that it's weird as hell for them to skip Rise's release date, let alone them missing 2 characters that they could have launched with...

Brace yourself
Monster Hunter wars are coming.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
You're vastly overrating Bandana Dee's popularity. His situation is the reverse of what you claim, he's mostly popular on dedicated fan sites like here and is less popular among the general Smash community. The reception would be mixed, at best.
Generally speaking, I'd honestly be surprised if Bandana Dee received more discourse than someone like Byleth, but perhaps things wouldn't be so pretty unless they miraculously announced a 3rd Pass or something to temporarily ease the pains. At that point, I think Bandana Dee would have the benefit of not being "the 8th character from a subjectively overrepresented franchise".

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Not holding my breath for it, but besides spirits for Jin and Malos, I'm also hoping for some representation for my girl Lora. A spirit would be nice, but she would be a great fit for a Mii brawler costume. She's my favorite Xenoblade 2 character lol

Dude, i'm so hoping for a Lora spirit and Mii brawler costume!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
A lot of people would rage if the character before him wasn't Crash, Dante, or Doomslayer.
And those guys would be easily outnumbered by people who’d use Bandana Dee to mock those characters who didn’t make it in. Essentially, they’d get the Chrom/Spring Man treatment in terms of being the butt of “hah, they didn’t make it in” mean-spirited jokes. Which is nothing new in speculation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A lot of people have been praising her Smash design, but I'm not a fan. I don't hate it or anything, but she still looks simultaneously over and underdressed to me. I hope she gets an alternative costume that looks more sensible, I'd even take a swimsuit because at least then her decision to show off skin would make sense to me.
Yeah, I think the nylons are weird. They don't really add anything to the design, and it's pretty obvious that they were just kinda tacked onto it.

Pillow

Smash Lord
If Monster Hunter Mii costumes are still MIA after the P/M presentation

Well, I can already see what'll happen lol.

The thought process of "This pass is going back to work on things passed over!" alongside the fact that from a marketing perspective that it's weird as hell for them to skip Rise's release date, let alone them missing 2 characters that they could have launched with...

Brace yourself
Monster Hunter wars are coming.
I disliked it before, but I've come to embrace the idea of a hunter character. Just give me a female alt with Kirin Armor please.

Generally speaking, I'd honestly be surprised if Bandana Dee received more discourse than someone like Byleth, but perhaps things wouldn't be so pretty unless they miraculously announced a 3rd Pass or something to temporarily ease the pains. At that point, I think Bandana Dee would have the benefit of not being "the 8th character from a subjectively overrepresented franchise".
Yeah Byleth's reception was so bad she was hated on despite people knowing we had 6 more fighters coming. My claims that people would hate on Dee only applies if there is no FP3 announcement.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not holding my breath for it, but besides spirits for Jin and Malos, I'm also hoping for some representation for my girl Lora. A spirit would be nice, but she would be a great fit for a Mii brawler costume. She's my favorite Xenoblade 2 character lol

I've had a Lora mii since base game, I didn't even register that was a possibility recently and now I really want one.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the No Promotion rule for DLC has been broken THREE TIMES (Min Min, Pyra, and Mythra were spirits promoted to fighters) at this point? Four counting Lucas in Smash 4?
Eh. There's nuance to it:
  • There were some that believed that Mewtwo's Trophy disconfirmed him, and this was shown to not be a thing rather quickly.
  • Min Min did indeed dispel the idea that Spirits are disconfirmations.
  • Preexisting Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes are still up in the air, and all evidence on that front points toward disconfirmations.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe it was premature back then, but I pretty much gave up on Lloyd once Heihachi came back. After Gil, I was almost ready to throw in the towel for all Namco characters.

It's still possible that we could get a Namco character with four or five costumes from that series, but if Lloyd returns with Pyra, I think it's probably time to start appreciating the one Namco character we've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom