• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
So right now I firmly believe in the theory that the fighters in this pass are leftovers from the base game. The question is, who else fits this theory? I can't think of any other character who was rumored to be worked on during the base roster or had content confirmed to be scrapped for whatever reason.
I think maybe Magnus from Kid Icarus fits this. First, we know spirits don’t deconfirm. Second, Magnus used to be an assist trophy in smash 4. He was removed from this game despite having an assist archetype that isn’t represented in the game (fast and mobile heavy hitter with big hit boxes) Could Magnus have been planned for the base game at one point? If so, that would make sense that he’s not an assist anymore. Again, why remove him? Too many assists? Too similar? Voice actor troubles? (unlikely) Phosphora is still and assist and Kid Icarus got NO NEW CONTENT BESIDES SPIRITS. Well and Palutena getting some moveset changes and Pit getting a few animation changes and a new final smash

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Personally I would think we'd get someone like Hades or Medusa before Magnus (Would say Viridi but she's a Mii costume).

I still haven't played Kid Icarus: Uprising which I want to and why I want a port but is Magnus that important and major of a character? I took him as just another enemy.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Honestly FP2 is already blowing FP1 out of the water in terms of the excitement I felt for each reveal.

Aside from Byleth being genuine hype and Piranha Plant being a strange mix of amusement, confusion and genuine curiosity, the rest were just, meh. I have warmed up to Joker since I have played some Persona 5, but the rest were just, neat.

FP2 didn't exactly start exciting for me with Min Min, whose game I just don't like. But the other three have been really exciting for me for various reasons. Pyra/Mythra are definitely the characters I have been the most excited for in either pass thus far, above even Sephiroth.

I am hoping this means one of the last two remaining slots is also a Nintendo character, but I am well passed the point of actually trying to guess who they are after that time they said Minecraft Steve would be followed up by One Wing Angel: Stabby Stabby Mario addition.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I don't even have a realistic "most wanted" character anymore, so I have zero stakes in this, but I would be extremely happy with either of these if we do get another first-party. Especially Ring Fit Trainee. I know a lot of people kind of dismiss her as a joke character, but after playing the game a bit, the potential for a super fun moveset is enormous.

Ironically, considering the big speculative conversation we've all been having since Pythra's reveal, Ring Fit Adventure literally did miss the boat for FP2 haha. Unless Nintendo had the impossible foresight to see how well the game was going to perform in the middle of a once-in-a-lifetime global pandemic...
I think giving how well RFA sold, it is not as much of a joke. I would say it and Astral Chain are the first parties to watch if we get any post pass DLC alongside another Pokemon.

That being said, I do not think we are getting any more first parties this pass. I expect a "bigger" third party at e3 (alongside the possible Volume 3 announcement if that exist) and a "smaller" third party later. My guesses rn are Crash and Hayabusa.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I think giving how well RFA sold, it is not as much of a joke. I would say it and Astral Chain are the first parties to watch if we get any post pass DLC alongside another Pokemon.

That being said, I do not think we are getting any more first parties this pass. I expect a "bigger" third party at e3 (alongside the possible Volume 3 announcement if that exist) and a "smaller" third party later. My guesses rn are Crash and Hayabusa.
If we somehow get a FP3 (I'm in the "Definitely Not Happening" camp, but only because I'd rather be a satisfied pessimist than a disappointed optimist haha), she would be my #1 character prediction. In the meantime, hey, I'm someone who actually really enjoys the creativity of Spirit Events, so just having her in the game in some capacity is groovy by me.

Speaking of Spirit Events, man I hope we get one to tie in with the new The World Ends With You...

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It's funnt you say this as Magnus got recast because of his union, he's Patrick Seitz now. Palutena got recast for the same reason. Seitz wouldn't give Nintendo issues and NoA's shown they will straight up not give a **** about English voices if they have to pay fair wages
Calling it now, when DLC is over we're going to get Proper Palutena's Guidance's for the DLC Fighters.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Personally, I think Splatoon 2 (and presumably 3) has introduced so many new weapons and specials that it's actually decently easy to make a non-echo Octoling moveset, tbh. Even if I feel like Echoes are a better interpretation of how they work in Splatoon 2. Also it would be funny if they were last considering Inkling was the first newcomer introduced to Ultimate.

For another topic: if our first pick of 2021 is another first party, I wonder how they're gonna follow up on E3 (typically our biggest reveals of a cycle in Ultimate) and end the Pass.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
It's funnt you say this as Magnus got recast because of his union, he's Patrick Seitz now. Palutena got recast for the same reason. Seitz wouldn't give Nintendo issues and NoA's shown they will straight up not give a **** about English voices if they have to pay fair wages
Yeah I was always sad about that. Just pay the actors Nintendo!!! They do good work man. Please, I love Magnus’s voice actor he’s in Bugsnax

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we somehow get a FP3 (I'm in the "Definitely Not Happening" camp, but only because I'd rather be a satisfied pessimist than a disappointed optimist haha), she would be my #1 character prediction. In the meantime, hey, I'm someone who actually really enjoys the creativity of Spirit Events, so just having her in the game in some capacity is groovy by me.

Speaking of Spirit Events, man I hope we get one to tie in with the new The World Ends With You...
Unless... we get that FP3 and Neku’s in it...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I have seriously made a Cuttlefish set and I do genuinely await your Octoling set, and I might make a set for Octoling as well. The pac was more to show that ”babbling about“ was lighthearted and the overall tone of the discussion wouldn’t be as serious and more supportive of your efforts!
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I took the tone incorrectly it seems.

As for the Octoling set, I have some ideas but dunno when I’ll be able to flesh it out/finish up the last few missing pieces. And maybe after this discussion I change/add a few things to it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
one of these last two characters is a first-party added for the sole purpose of representing a game that just recently came out.
I've always been a pretty big proponent of this happening, but now that we know what is most likely Nintendo's first-party lineup for the first half of 2021, I really don't know what they'd do for this character.

Assuming there would be a 6-month gap between the game's Japanese release and their addition to Smash, the only candidates left that would fit in FP2's deadline is a character from Famicom Detective Club, Miitopia, or Mario Golf. The latter two wouldn't really work unless Nintendo says **** it and puts Waluigi in, while I'm somewhat skeptical that a digital-only release would get a full character in Smash.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
No we will not, they couldn't be assed to do that for Smash 4 despite getting Pit and Palu for Bayo's trailer and they'll be damned if they spend a single penny on QoL ****
They gave Cloud a new interaction IN Game against Sephiroth on top of Cloud and Chrom both getting Quality of Life updates later on. I think that's probably a Philosophy that changed inbetween Smash 4 and Ultimate

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They gave Cloud a new interaction IN Game against Sephiroth on top of Cloud and Chrom both getting Quality of Life updates later on. I think that's probably a Philosophy that changed inbetween smash 4 and Ultimate
I need to see it to believe it though, adding in 11 conversations that'd need to be dubbed over entirely. Especially as your example of Chrom wasn't a QoL thing but fixing an oversight. Remember, despite Omnislash Ver. 5 existing, Cloud didn't actually get unique lines for fighting Sephiroth whereas Sephiroth has a unique line for beating Cloud

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I need to see it to believe it though, adding in 11 conversations that'd need to be dubbed over entirely. Especially as your example of Chrom wasn't a QoL thing but fixing an oversight. Remember, despite Omnislash Ver. 5 existing, Cloud didn't actually get unique lines for fighting Sephiroth whereas Sephiroth has a unique line for beating Cloud
Want to make that a Bet?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Because if they didn't care, then Cloud would only have his Smash Art still, despite actual Art Licensing Now. Ontop of the Fact that the Chrom Oversight was a Victory Theme.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I've always been a pretty big proponent of this happening, but now that we know what is most likely Nintendo's first-party lineup for the first half of 2021, I really don't know what they'd do for this character.

Assuming there would be a 6-month gap between the game's Japanese release and their addition to Smash, the only candidates left that would fit in FP2's deadline is a character from Famicom Detective Club, Miitopia, or Mario Golf. The latter two wouldn't really work unless Nintendo says **** it and puts Waluigi in, while I'm somewhat skeptical that a digital-only release would get a full character in Smash.
Just wait for the FE genealogy of the holy war remake so they end the pass with Sigurd.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because if they didn't care, then Cloud would only have his Smash Art still, despite actual Art Licensing Now. Ontop of the Fact that the Chrom Oversight was a Victory Theme.
They were already licensing FF7 artwork so literally 1 more piece of artwork shouldn't be that expensive, especially compared to 11 conversations with at least 2 actors that also need to be dubbed in multiple languages. Chrom's change being the victory theme proves my point they fixed an oversight instead of adding fanservice, they ****ed up on Chrom's victory theme as they forgot to give him the Awakening one

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They were already licensing FF7 artwork so literally 1 more piece of artwork shouldn't be that expensive, especially compared to 11 conversations with at least 2 actors that also need to be dubbed in multiple languages. Chrom's change being the victory theme proves my point they fixed an oversight instead of adding fanservice, they ****ed up on Chrom's victory theme as they forgot to give him the Awakening one
Dubbed in 2 Languages, this isn't Wii Fit Trainer we're talking about here.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just wait for the FE genealogy of the holy war remake so they end the pass with Sigurd.
If there's any FE remake coming, I want it to be spirited ASAP, not because fire emblem bad, but so Smash fans can stop being paranoid and FE-loving Smash fans don't get Photoshop ready to make HOES MAD memes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Dubbed in 2 Languages, this isn't Wii Fit Trainer we're talking about here.
That's still a minimum of 4 VAs and a bunch of translators regardless, NoA are too cheap to hire English actors for characters like Mewtwo, the FF lads and the Heroes despite Sakurai noting that the Heroes will yell out spell names, something they simply disabled in every other language

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
That's still a minimum of 4 VAs and a bunch of translators regardless, NoA are too cheap to hire English actors for characters like Mewtwo, the FF lads and the Heroes despite Sakurai noting that the Heroes will yell out spell names, something they simply disabled in every other language
Then why was the Bayonetta Trailer Dubbed? Then why do the Smash Fighters have English Voice Acting at all if NoA is too cheap to Hire VA's?

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai simply feared some may have been too wary of the scantilly clad, sexual deviants and felt the need to assuage those fears before they could manifest by assuring us that they came from a 'T' for Teen rated game and thus were perfectly acceptable for Good Girls & Boys.
When I look at them, I don't feel like a good boy...🤔

Faso115

Smash Lord
The dumber the theory, the more likely it is according to speculation results lol. I mean, fire theory and etika theory have been mostly right for the most part and they aren't serious theories lol

Reveals have picked up a lot, Sephiroth wasn't that long ago.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then why was the Bayonetta Trailer Dubbed? Then why do the Smash Fighters have English Voice Acting at all if NoA is too cheap to Hire VA's?
Bayonetta 1 actually didn't have a Japanese dub, with the 1 alt making her speak English regardless what version you played.

Because it's been the standard to have English dubs for your big budget games for over 20 years.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Bayonetta 1 actually didn't have a Japanese dub, with the 1 alt making her speak English regardless what version you played.

Because it's been the standard to have English dubs for your big budget games for over 20 years.
But that doesn't answer my Question, if NoA was too cheap to do English Voice Acting for DLC, then why did Rex, Pyra, Mythra, and Byleth get English VA's if NoA was too Cheap. This 10 Fold when it comes to Ryu and Bayonetta back in Smash 4.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But that doesn't answer my Question, if NoA was too cheap to do English Voice Acting for DLC, then why did Rex, Pyra, Mythra, and Byleth get English VA's if NoA was too Cheap. This 10 Fold when it comes to Ryu and Bayonetta back in Smash 4.
Because those actors are cheap and it's standard. I already explained Bayonetta always being planned to speak English by Sakurai's choice too but clearly you don't want to listen to actual reason either

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Yeah like honestly, I feel like we just might be missing out on a blatant promotional choice this time around.

Both of the main candidates thrown around have things that I'd consider pretty big oofs going against them - Gen 8 having the Spirit Event and Euden coming from a game that's unavailable in most of Europe. None of these you mention really seem like viable choices either IMO, and any more than that and you start stretching really hard to find choices (that usually make less and less sense) just to fit that quota, which at that point it's just safer to assume we aren't getting one. And then you go Ultra Instinct and start predicting characters that don't even exist yet and pushing them as inevitabilities

I'm pretty certain that next up is a third-party, but with all this in mind I honestly think CP11 will just be an older first-party (older as in before, like, 2018) or another third-party.

SKX31

Smash Master
I can kind of argue they're so far apart from their actual, historical selves that they're basically video game incarnations of them and Dynasty Warriors is a series well known enough where this can work.

Besides if Dynasty Warriors ain't allowed for that reason then series like Fate shouldn't be allowed since Fate is in the same ordeal, even if it uses mythological and literature characters too. But IMO both are allowed since the characters in them are so exaggerated and flashy that it should be allowed. If it was the real Lu Bu, Cao Cao, Zhao Yun I'd agree but these are merely over the top versions of them used in an over the top video game series. If that makes sense.
Well:

We have a living neuroscientist in the game as an AT shooting numbers throughout the screen and a Spirit from Nintendo's own Napoleon GBA game (with Napoleon's name being featured at the game section whenever one is about to fight the Spirit). So yeah, Nintendo themselves are open to it.

Dracula is a weird case - the character doesn't have any solid connections to the real Vlad III Dracula (The Impaler) since Stoker primarily drew from folklore about Romanian vampires and previous vampire novels set in the British Isles. Still, Vlad's own reputation for, well, not being nice to his foes began to spread during his lifetime, and everything roughly contemporary from German poems - where Vlad's a cruel tyrant - to Romanian folklore - which generally has Vlad as a hero - agree that he impaled. A lot. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an indirect connection, but that's tenous at best.

Castlevania needs to make a game where Dracula's the her- Oh wait, Soma Cruz exists. Nvm.

And thus, Horny Theory gets one more adept... :4pacman:
I'm calling it, FP10 is going to be Dante with a shirtless alt, and FP11 is going to be a woman with swimsuit alt.

Rie, I think you need to get that bonk stick ready. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In regards to Ring Fit Adventure, I wonder how Nintendo suits feel about the fact that their big new character based IP that's sold 8+ million may miss out on being in the ultimate Smash Bros. game.

I kinda wonder if they'd be willing to nudge Sakurai about it...for post-FP2 DLC of some kind.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In regards to Ring Fit Adventure, I wonder how Nintendo suits feel about the fact that their big new character based IP that's sold 8+ million may miss out on being in the ultimate Smash Bros. game.

I kinda wonder if they'd be willing to nudge Sakurai about it.
They were spirited away after FP2 was finalized, but they're up there with Octoling in terms of being guaranteed for next game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Still, Vlad's own reputation for, well, not being nice to his foes
This is what I'm going to say from now on tk threaten my enemies

Also if Alucard was considered and this dumb theory of reusing ideas is true then prepare for Soma. Give him the Android 21 gimmick with a Soul Steal command grab, literally perfect. AND GIMME THAT ****ING AYAMI KOJIMA ARTWORK DAMMIT WHY THE **** DID WE NOT GET THAT

Faso115

Smash Lord
This is what I'm going to say from now on tk threaten my enemies

Also if Alucard was considered and this dumb theory of reusing ideas is true then prepare for Soma. Give him the Android 21 gimmick with a Soul Steal command grab, literally perfect. AND GIMME THAT *ING AYAMI KOJIMA ARTWORK DAMMIT WHY THE * DID WE NOT GET THAT
lol Konami.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I kinda wonder if they'd be willing to nudge Sakurai about it...for post-FP2 DLC of some kind.
Nintendo had a big say in DLC. If they had any objection, they wouldn’t have let Ring Fit Adventure be spirited away in the first place. The game was released long enough for them to see it was successful and yet it got that event on March 2020. The game was released in October 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom