• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That's how the speculation mafia works. Create new theory, have it broken, try to tape it back together. Our entire boat is made of tape now; What's left to lose? :4pacman:
So you're saying we've never been wrong about anything as long as we have our trusty Ship of Theseus? :4pacman:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I was hype enough for all of the DLC, except for Steve, since I'm good at finding something to enjoy in just about anything character (I do think Steve deserves to be in the game, I just hate his aesthetic and animations..the stage and music are great!)..in terms of getting characters I really, really wanted though, I got Joker, Byleth (female), and Pyra..so I'm good.
I don't mean to imply that I've been like sulking or depressed about the other characters. I just haven't exactly been hype. I mean personally I've never played a Persona game - I want to! - so Joker was kind of a what? pick for me. And also going back to the whole point of my response, he just doesn't fit into my conception of what I want Smash to be. AS Neon originally said Nintendo All stars and 3rd parties that are closely tied. Having said that I think he's a great character and he is fun to play, so I'm not pressed about it or anything.

Pretty much feel the same way about Terry, Steve, and Sephiroth. But again I actually really like Terry. And Sephiroth is a hype character, he just isn't who I would have picked. Personally I would have much preferred Black Mage - yes I'm one of those - or Terra Branford.

And as far as the 1st party characters go Plant is uh, well Plant is Plant. Byleth, doesn't do a whole lot for me being that FE has so many characters already. Min Min was a fine choice imo, though again just not really a hype one for me as I'm not an ARMS fan. And unfortunately I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles yet because I am slacking. Otherwise there's a good chance Pyra would be hype for me. Again don't get me wrong, I'm not pressed about any of these characters (ok I won't lie I was a little pressed about Byleth at the time lol), but they aren't hype for me either.

Like I said, you can get a pretty good idea of what type of characters are hype to me from my sig. And unfortunately it doesn't seem like any of them are a priority at this point, as all the first parties we've gotten recently have been, well recent. I'm just forever glad I got Banjo. Even if everyone seems to hate him now. :4pacman:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay let's talk about spirit.

Just like Min Min both Pyra and Mythra already has a spirit in the game, with the inclusion of Min Min her fighter Spirit uses a different artwork taken from one of the promo art for ARMS. From what I've seen Pythra only has 1 official artwork and the rest were concept art, the only artwork that I could find that could be considered official is this artwork from XB2 OST
and this concept art for their figurine

So what do you think is better to be used as their Fighter Spirit?
Considering Sakurai based their Splash Images on the figures, that one is my guess, especially since there is separate art for each that looks better solo
EuddtOXXUAA8nIx.jpg Mythra-Smash-ultimate.jpg

...and of course I had to update my signature now too lol
New.gif

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't mean to imply that I've been like sulking or depressed about the other characters. I just haven't exactly been hype. I mean personally I've never played a Persona game - I want to! - so Joker was kind of a what? pick for me. And also going back to the whole point of my response, he just doesn't fit into my conception of what I want Smash to be. AS Neon originally said Nintendo All stars and 3rd parties that are closely tied. Having said that I think he's a great character and he is fun to play, so I'm not pressed about it or anything.

Pretty much feel the same way about Terry, Steve, and Sephiroth. But again I actually really like Terry. And Sephiroth is a hype character, he just isn't who I would have picked. Personally I would have much preferred Black Mage - yes I'm one of those - or Terra Branford.

And as far as the 1st party characters go Plant is uh, well Plant is Plant. Byleth, doesn't do a whole lot for me being that FE has so many characters already. Min Min was a fine choice imo, though again just not really a hype one for me as I'm not an ARMS fan. And unfortunately I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles yet because I am slacking. Otherwise there's a good chance Pyra would be hype for me. Again don't get me wrong, I'm not pressed about any of these characters (ok I won't lie I was a little pressed about Byleth at the time lol), but they aren't hype for me either.

Like I said, you can get a pretty good idea of what type of characters are hype to me from my sig. And unfortunately it doesn't seem like any of them are a priority at this point, as all the first parties we've gotten recently have been, well recent. I'm just forever glad I got Banjo. Even if everyone seems to hate him now. :4pacman:
I definitely understand your viewpoint, but it's more or less not what Sakurai views Smash as anymore. He's called it a "Celebration of gaming", which, to me is really cool, but I can see where you're coming from. I don't share your viewpoint and personally enjoy branching out to all parts of gaming, but I definitely understand you.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The latter's meant to be XB2 yeah. Don't get what's unclear, as I've been pretty vocal on disliking how Min Min goes against Smash's core design
Oh you were referring to both. I thought you were just talking about Pyra and Mythra.

EDIT: Also I kinda agree with you on them being a bad choice. It really should have been Rex & Pyra/Mythra, not just Pyra and Mythra. I'm pretty sure you've gone on record hating Rex as well so you probably don't share that part of the sentiment, but eh.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Do you have a source for Ayumi in 64? I know Melee was when Sakurai considered her but dropped her because of her lack of international recognizability, but I haven't heard anything for Smash 64.

I think it was from Hobo Nichi interview. The company Shigesato Itoi made.
Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).
Hmm... If we're thinking this pass is about tying up loose ends, Ayumi might be a potential darkhorse.

That, or she could just go to Spirit Event hell like every other recent release. That too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We've been pampered with a lot of 3rd party character lately that if we were to get a 1st Party (like right now) it's gets more polarizing.
Something similar happened when Isabelle was revealed: Due to Ridley and the 8/8 newcomers all being obvious ballot requests, people expected the rest of the base newcomers to be the same (see: Grinch Leak), thus the ****storm when the new AC mascot joined.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We've been pampered with a lot of 3rd party character lately that if we were to get a 1st Party (like right now) it's gets more polarizing.
Maybe the issue is that people simply don'g like the first parties given and actually have a ton of first parties they'd like to see?

"No, people must simply hate first parties as a whole"

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, as much as I love 3rd party additions, I'm more than okay with this reveal.

I know the consensus is "Smash fans hate Nintendo characters being added", but I honestly don't believe that. What we hate is for the characters to feel like nothing more than blatant advertising. Sure, Pyra and Mythra are advertising, all characters are, Smash is a giant product placement commercial that we spend way too much time talking about despite our age, but XB2's been out for awhile, and love it or hate it, its gotten acclaim and recognition, on top of giving Xenoblade, a woefully underrepresented series, more content.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I definitely understand your viewpoint, but it's more or less not what Sakurai views Smash as anymore. He's called it a "Celebration of gaming", which, to me is really cool, but I can see where you're coming from. I don't share your viewpoint and personally enjoy branching out to all parts of gaming, but I definitely understand you.
Oh I get that. I'm not under any illusions. It just explains why I don't get hyped about most characters at this point. Again this convo all started just because I was agreeing with another poster's point about how they felt relative to base game and DLC character additions. I thought it was an interesting point and pretty much nailed how I felt. I think it's interesting to see where people are coming from with respect to their speculation.

Also I can't lie, part of it is because the more it branches out, the less likely a LOT of my most wanted character become. The wider the net the less likely we are to see Goemon, Farmer Pete, Isaac (assuming no new game), Captain Syrup and so on. And even then some of those are unlikely regardless. At this point I won't be surprised if Dixie or Bomberman make it into Smash eventually, but beyond that my most wanted are all very unlikely at this point. So there's definitely a selfish element to it lol. But again I'm not gonna disparage anyone or anything over it, it's just the reality of desires for Smash at this point.

Also just as an edit, I just want to reiterate that I am not disappointed with Pyra and Mythra. If nothing else I'm always happy to see more 1st parties get added.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly this sums up my feelings exactly. And I won't lie part of me wishes Smash focused more on that still. Alas.

I think the characters in my sig kind of highlight the type of characters I like in Smash. Of the DLC I was mad hype for Banjo, but apart from that I've been fairly mild. I was actually pretty hype about Hero too, unlike a lot of people lol. Though that was partially because I felt vindicated for thinking he was likely. Well Dragon Quest content anyway.
I'd like to see a lot of those characters too. I don't really fault Nintendo for focusing more on third-parties these days, I get it. And I get their method, throwing that big net out there. It's just that when you cast the big net, there are so many options of what you can haul in that many aren't going to speak to you. But there are times I miss the more precision strikes. That is how the fanbase was first built, after all.

Though I certainly understand why they do what they do.

Well, at least no one can say Sakurai hasn't taken the "need more women" criticism to heart after FP2 when we have 2 female characters getting chosen over the lead characters of their own games,
Pretty sure the characters had already been chosen by the time that reached its fever pitch.

And tbf, Smash doesn't even perfectly align with Sakurai's vision anymore anyway.

If there's anybody I'd trust about Ayumi Tachibana it's Ayumi Tachibana. Thanks for the info.

Tbf a lot of the first-parties they've gone with as of late are just polarizing choices full stop. That and the fanbase complains about most characters anyway.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hmm... If we're thinking this pass is about tying up loose ends, Ayumi might be a potential darkhorse
That depends on if they want to tie up loose ends from previous games. Minecraft is dubious, but an ARMS rep, more FFVII content, and an XBC2 rep are definitely loose ends from Ultimate.

Pillow

Smash Lord
AS Neon originally said Nintendo All stars and 3rd parties that are closely tied. Having said that I think he's a great character and he is fun to play, so I'm not pressed about it or anything.
I think the focus on Nintendo ties was gone the second Cloud Strife was added to the game and was followed later by Joker, Sephiroth, and Steve.

A lot of it has to do with the remaining pool of first parties. We've pretty much exhausted Nintendo's pool of really important characters, but there's still plenty of 3rd parties that would generate lots of excitement. I'm not saying there are no good options left among first parties, but I'd argue that every notable first party that could be included would have a far more divisive response than pretty much all of the third party frontrunners.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oof the Dixie Kong disrespect.

For real though I think you'll probably get a fair amount of pushback on that from people here. I mean personally I don't think DK rep is complete without Dixie. Also Zelda feels incomplete to me personally. As does Wario (I don't really feel like his moveset reps either WarioWare or Land terribly well tbh, and would love to see Ashley and Syrup come in to round it out). And I know a LOT of people feel a certain way about Kirby rep lol
I have a lot of hot takes that would probably make a certain people* angry, but I stand by what I said. lol

*Zelda fans especially.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

BTW, this is from Nagata's book published in 2000 and the interview was from the time Iwata was still working at HAL.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I think the focus on Nintendo ties was gone the second Cloud Strife was added to the game and was followed later by Joker, Sephiroth, and Steve.

A lot of it has to do with the remaining pool of first parties. We've pretty much exhausted Nintendo's pool of really important characters, but there's still plenty of 3rd parties that would generate lots of excitement. I'm not saying there are no good options left among first parties, but I'd argue that every notable first party that could be included would have a far more divisive response than pretty much all of the third party frontrunners.
As I said before, I get that. I was just explaining how I feel about the topic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the focus on Nintendo ties was gone the second Cloud Strife was added to the game and was followed later by Joker, Sephiroth, and Steve
I mean, FFVII actually made it to Nintendo by the time we got Sephiroth, it was also a top 5 best selling eshop game in 2019 iirc. And Minecraft's been on Nintendo for 3 systems, so it had Nintendo ties for a long time

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Thoughts:
  • Xenoblade has been due another character for a while now so I can't say it's not unwarranted or unexpected. I understand the fatigue with anime sword fighters, but considering what they're doing with this character(s), are from an underrepresented series, and that they're more female representation my sympathy only goes so far.
  • Rex is the new Chrom.
  • I really hope that the obvious new Legendary Spirit we get will be a Primary Spirit with three slots so it can fit both the Pyra/Mythra support spirits and make things extra extra meta. :evil:
  • This probably means we'll be getting Amiibo figures for each of them; and am guessing they will become quickly expensive.
  • I wonder if we'll finally get Xenoblade X music?
  • The new stage seems interesting. Could potentially be a legal stage at first glance depending on blastlines.
  • Xenoblade is the last currently represented 1st Party that needed another rep IMO.
  • The trailer itself was rather underwhelming. Needed more gameplay footage.
  • A KOS-MOS Mii Fighter seems like a good bet at this point, though I'd be more curious to see if they base some of Pyra/Mythra's alt colors on her.
Me who wants Bandana Dee in Smash so Kirby can get another rep since Brawl:
1607633300775.png

cothero

Smash Lord
I wasn't expecting a character reveal so soon, only two months after Sephiroth reveal. Do you guys think it's possible to get an april reveal for fighter #80 and then fighter #81 for june at E3? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Shroob

Sup?
There's nothing wrong with 1st party characters. Hell, even though I believe that you'd probably get a more muted reaction from the playerbase for a lot of names tossed around here, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting characters like Chorus Men, Dixie, Impa, etc etc etc

The problem arises when a character is tossed in not because their game is good, or because it has a legacy behind it, but because:

All characters are, in one way or another, advertising, there's just no two buts about it, but there's a big difference in feeling between, say, if Dixie Kong got in as opposed to a Gen 8 Pokemon. One is a character with a legacy behind them, the other is from a long running franchise, from their newest game, and is 100% trying to advertise.

This isn't even a "Fire Emblem bad" post, I ****ing love Byleth and was ecstatic when Byleth was revealed. But at the same time, I'd imagine that the feelings are probably somewhat similar.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thinking back, it seems like I'm actually 3 for 3 on characters that I've speculated in terms of implementation only for them to implement them in a way that I 100% disagree with.
  • Byleth
    • Expectation: Uses the three house leaders as summons, and has the Divine Pulse in some form.
    • Reality: Uses the three house leaders's weapons because "lol sword bad".
  • ARMS character
    • Expectation: As the mascot and beginner character, Spring Man is the best choice.
    • Reality: Min Min because favoritism, and possibly also because Spring Man is already an assist trophy.
  • Rex & Pyra/Mythra
    • Expectation: Rex & Pyra/Mythra get added despite the previous DLC Mii Costume so that they can promote the Xenoblade Chronicles series.
    • Reality: They add just Pyra and Mythra because Rex is already a DLC Mii Costume, but they still want to promote the Xenoblade Chronicles series.
Looks like Minecraft fans lucked out. I had gotten into the game, but hadn't considered Steve for DLC. If I had, we would have gotten Jesse instead. :4pacman:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I wasn't expecting a character reveal so soon, only two months after Sephiroth reveal. Do you guys think it's possible to get an april reveal for fighter #80 and then fighter #81 for june at E3? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Depends on how early in March the Blades are. If it's early March, we might be able to squeeze in an early reveal, but if it's mid-March I think we're back to the three-month gap.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
:ultpiranha: – September 13, 1985

:ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2::ulthero: - May 27, 1986

:ultridley: – August 6, 1986

:ultsimon: – September 26, 1986

:ult_terry: – November 25, 1991

:ultkrool: – November 18, 1994

:ultsephiroth: – January 31, 1997

:ultbanjokazooie: – June 29, 1998

:ultsteve: – November 18, 2011

:ultisabelle: – November 8, 2012

:ultinkling: – May 28, 2015

:ultjoker:– September 15, 2016

:ultincineroar: – November 18, 2016

:ultminmin – June 26, 2017

/Mythra – December 1, 2017

:ultbyleth: – July 26, 2019

For fun, here's all of Ultimate's non-echo newcomers in chronological order.

Woof at the massive gap between Banjo and Steve. We need some more mid 2000s characters in here...
May I present to you, the ‘00s kid 4.

EA0A17F6-7A8E-4FF4-9E2B-F7679DDB4B04.jpeg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The character was revealed now because of the Direct, but they're still releasing when people expected they would. Those Smash presentations really only happened in absence of general events like E3 and Directs, so I figure now that we seem to be back on track, the most reasonable expectation would be not hearing about FP10 until around E3.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright, I've finally gone around and I gotta say.

Overall, like Min Min, people are positive towards Pyra and Mythra. People are generally happy. The world just isn't on fire.

Honestly, I'm just happy they're in. They're a fun choice and its nice they chose the most popular Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters.

Plus I've come to a realization.

We're probably getting more Xenoblade Chronicles remixes.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Alright, I've finally gone around and I gotta say.

Overall, like Min Min, people are positive towards Pyra and Mythra. People are generally happy. The world just isn't on fire.

Honestly, I'm just happy they're in. They're a fun choice and its nice they chose the most popular Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters.

Plus I've come to a realization.

We're probably getting more Xenoblade Chronicles remixes.

How many of these goofy faces are in Xenoblade's games? They're amazing!

ZelDan

Smash Master
There's a number of first party characters I'd love to see in Smash.

Pyra/Mythra weren't either of them. I don't hate either being included and prefer them over Rex atleast (based on designs anyways as I never played XC2), but yeah, not my first choice for Nintendo picks...or for a Xenoblade pick for that matter...

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, at least no one can say Sakurai hasn't taken the "need more women" criticism to heart after FP2 when we have 2 female characters getting chosen over the lead characters of their own games,
Though to be fair, Min Min's case, she was clearly the most popular character, the director's fav, and the series had a poster boy but no actual lead (similar to most fighting games) and in Pyra/Mythra's case, they were main characters equal to Rex in Xenoblade Chronicles 2..and likely more popular than Rex too.

However, let me say this, I am glad that Sakurai is starting to be more lenient on his seeming 'Main Characters Only' mindset that he seemed to have prior to Min Min & Pyra/Mythra.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That depends on if Directs are finally back for good, and not just an annual thing.
May I present to you, the ‘00s kid 4.

View attachment 303804
Seems like 00's gamers haven't really gotten the best end of the stick, first or third-party. Just look at how few of Smash's fighters come from the GBA or DS.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, FFVII actually made it to Nintendo by the time we got Sephiroth, it was also a top 5 best selling eshop game in 2019 iirc. And Minecraft's been on Nintendo for 3 systems, so it had Nintendo ties for a long time
That's true, but to me just having a game on Nintendo doesn't really make a character Nintendo affiliated, it's more about the character's personal history on Nintendo systems. Like if they wanted a Final Fantasy character with Nintendo ties, Cloud certainly wasn't it over someone like Terra. Even if P5 comes to switch eventually, I'll still associate the game with Playstation more than Nintendo. On the opposite end, I still view Banjo as a heavily Nintendo affiliated character despite his current station.

But as stated previously, the title of "Nintendo affiliated" is ultimately kind of meaningless at this point anyway.

The character was revealed now because of the Direct, but they're still releasing when people expected they would. Those Smash presentations really only happened in absence of general events like E3 and Directs, so I figure now that we seem to be back on track, the most reasonable expectation would be not hearing about FP10 until around E3.
But I'm already bored of Pyra. I need another reveal, like, now. I think Pokemon Day is a perfectly reasonable time to reveal the next Smash character!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah I agree. It's no surprise that every DLC character announced that wasn't in a direct practically came a week later (Byleth, Min-Min, Steve, Sephy), because Sakurai was able to release it on his own schedule. The Smash team doesn't get to pick when the Direct happens, so it makes sense Pyra comes out in March. It was figured to be so anyways due to Amiibo Theory.

FP10 will absolutely be shown at E3. As for the final character, depends if they plan on doing an August/September direct, if they do, that's when we'll see the last fighter.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think the "idea" of CP 11 dropping at E3 is impossible, assuming that the blades drop like, ****ing day 1 of March.

But I'm 99.9% sure it won't happen. It'd be thematically cool to wrap it up in the same month where it all began, but it's almost 100% not a priority for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom